Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2009, 16:10   #16
Senior - BHPian

The Wagon R is dated. If it suits your requirements, the Estilo will meet them too. Plus it's a much more modern car. The A-Star has the new K-Series engine, which despite all tall claims is not fuel efficient. The Ritz petrol engine is also the K-Series but bigger, so don't expect very good FE. I would suggest the i10 Era with the IRDE engine. Stay away from the 1.2 Kappa engine.
Old 9th July 2009, 16:16   #17
Senior - BHPian

Saugato,

Firstly, as MileCruncher pointed out, buy an LPG car only if you're considering doing substantial mileage (atleast 2k kms per month). Otherwise, you'll not save much on running costs, and end up paying for your decision in the long run! Not only are LPG engines shorter lasting than normal petrol/diesels, there is also a significant difference in resale values (I see good resale value is one of your purchase criteria).

Most second hand car dealers dont want to pick up LPG equipped vehicles as they are not sure about the mechanical condition of the car. Try out Maruti True Value outlets to see if they sell any LPG equipped car with a warranty, and you'll know what I mean!

My advise would be to buy a Petrol Wagon R or an A-Star, depending on your driving requirements. Also, why not a Santro? I'm sure it fulfills all your purchase criteria equally well, while staying within 4 lakhs!

Last edited by predatorwheelz : 9th July 2009 at 16:19.
Old 9th July 2009, 16:20   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
Also, why not a Santro? I'm sure it fulfills all your purchase criteria equally well.
Exactly, but then the IRDE engined i10 has all the good qualities of the Santro plus modern looks for a slightly higher price. Worth spending the little extra for the modern looks.
Old 9th July 2009, 16:21   #19
BHPian

Well if FE is important, then it has to be the A-star, but like others have pointed out, you would have to compromise on the luggage front, and live with the slightly quirky looks. But hey, who knows, that look just might catch on later!

Looking at the resale value too, the A-star is going to be much better. That is because the 'new' Estilo with the 1.0L engine from the A-star and a minor facelift is just around the corner.

So, if you don't mind missing out on discounts, you could look at the facelifted Estilo too, as it will be atleast as fuel efficient as the A-star, if not more.
Old 9th July 2009, 20:59   #20
sb1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
How many people would be travelling in the car? The A star is seriously cramped & is good only for two people, even if you go out with friends & family once in a month this could be bothersome.
We are family of 4 including my parents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
Saugato,

Firstly, as MileCruncher pointed out, buy an LPG car only if you're considering doing substantial mileage (atleast 2k kms per month). Otherwise, you'll not save much on running costs, and end up paying for your decision in the long run! Not only are LPG engines shorter lasting than normal petrol/diesels, there is also a significant difference in resale values (I see good resale value is one of your purchase criteria).

Most second hand car dealers dont want to pick up LPG equipped vehicles as they are not sure about the mechanical condition of the car. Try out Maruti True Value outlets to see if they sell any LPG equipped car with a warranty, and you'll know what I mean!

My advise would be to buy a Petrol Wagon R or an A-Star, depending on your driving requirements. Also, why not a Santro? I'm sure it fulfills all your purchase criteria equally well, while staying within 4 lakhs!
-Thanks for great info on the LPG vehicles.I am kind of thinking in the lines of i10 Era... hoping to speak to Hyundai...

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
Well if FE is important, then it has to be the A-star, but like others have pointed out, you would have to compromise on the luggage front, and live with the slightly quirky looks. But hey, who knows, that look just might catch on later!

Looking at the resale value too, the A-star is going to be much better. That is because the 'new' Estilo with the 1.0L engine from the A-star and a minor facelift is just around the corner.

So, if you don't mind missing out on discounts, you could look at the facelifted Estilo too, as it will be atleast as fuel efficient as the A-star, if not more.
Can you pls tell me, when can we expect the new Estillo in the show rooms?
Old 9th July 2009, 21:06   #21
Senior - BHPian

Then forget A-star. Look at Santro & i10 Era they are much better & in same price bracket.
Old 9th July 2009, 22:11   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Then forget A-star. Look at Santro & i10 Era they are much better & in same price bracket.
completely agree with technocrat....go for the i10 Era even if it means having to stretch your budget to ICE it up! you may not have the same FE as the Astar but a slick gear box and fantastic driveability with enough space for your family of 4 will more than make up for it!

all the best saugato!
Old 9th July 2009, 23:13   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post

Can you pls tell me, when can we expect the new Estillo in the show rooms?
Well the production of the old one has been stopped, and the new one is currently being produced.

This is confirmed info.

But I don't have any idea about when it is actually going to hit the showrooms.
Shouldn't be very long though, for obvious reasons.
Old 10th July 2009, 11:06   #24
sb1

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ash7678 View Post
completely agree with technocrat....go for the i10 Era even if it means having to stretch your budget to ICE it up! you may not have the same FE as the Astar but a slick gear box and fantastic driveability with enough space for your family of 4 will more than make up for it!

all the best saugato!
-Thanks Technocrat , ash7678 & all , I think I have decided now. I will be speaking with Hyundai dealers today and get deal ironed out. Will keep every one posted.
Old 10th July 2009, 12:02   #25
Senior - BHPian

Competition times!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post
-Thanks Technocrat , ash7678 & all , I think I have decided now. I will be speaking with Hyundai dealers today and get deal ironed out. Will keep every one posted.
All the best Saugato. Hyundai dealers in Kolkata are very competitive amongst themselves. Pit all 4 dealers amongst themselves and try to get the most competitive quote. Who knows, one might just throw in an ICE package for free! Have your cake and eat it too!
Old 17th July 2009, 06:30   #26
sb1

Hi Everyone,

I have booked a Champange Gold i10 Era model as couple of days back. Waiting fr SBI guys to verify and process the loan.
Seems Hyundai is not offering much of freebies and discounts now... They are also saying that the new Hyundai cars are coming with Engine immobilizers, can any one confirm that plz.
Old 17th July 2009, 12:04   #27
Senior - BHPian

Wow that sounds like we have been able to brainwash you for A star

On a serious note, do let us know what made you choose i10 Era, should be helpfull to others who are in same dilemma
Old 17th July 2009, 12:47   #28
BHPian

How much you paid for the i10 Era OTR in Kolkata?
Old 17th July 2009, 14:11   #29
Senior - BHPian

i10 ERA - good choice

Hi Saugato,

Congratulations on booking the i10 ERA. You have made a wise choice.

I have also purchased i10 ERA 6 months back, and I am really happy with my decision.

I also had a similar budget in mind, so I considered WagonR (Lxi/Vxi/DUO Lxi), A-Star (Lxi/Vxi), Santro (GLS/ECO GLS) and i10 ERA.

WagonR, A-Star and Santro are all good cars, but with a few flaws:

- A-Star seemed very cramped for a Rs 4 lakh car (Feels like an alto). It has no boot space at all. The actual FE is nowhere near the advertised figure. The 3-pot engine is not as refined as the 4-pot engines in the other cars. I didn't like the low seat and the high dashboard arrangement. Road visibility is very poor. Rear windows are very small and there is less headroom, especially for the rear passengers

- WagonR has boxy looks and wobbly gearbox. Also, it was initially rumoured that Ritz was meant to be a replacement for the dated WagonR. So I had doubts that it might be phased out in the future. But that does not seem to be the case, because MUL has priced Ritz very close to Swift.

- Santro really impressed me. But the price difference between i10 ERA and Santro GLS was negligible compared to the extra features offered in i10 - electronic power steering, tubeless tyres, beige interiors. Also, the i10 feels more grounded at high speeds and confidence inspiring at sharp turns.

All it takes is a test drive to fall in love with the i10. No matter what your brain tells you, your heart will push you to go for the i10.

Regarding FE, I am getting a mileage of 13 kmpl in Bangalore's heavy traffic with full AC.

I don't think Hyundai cars come with engine immobilizers. But I have installed Cobra remote locking with engine immobiliser. Don't go for the simple remote locking suggested by the agency guys. It only provides the convenience of remote locking, it hardly has any security features.

Don't expect much freebies/discounts for a relatively new and successful car like i10, especially at this time of the year.

Rohan,
Bangalore
Old 17th July 2009, 17:51   #30
sb1

Quote:
Wow that sounds like we have been able to brainwash you for A star

On a serious note, do let us know what made you choose i10 Era, should be helpfull to others who are in same dilemma
Yes, seems that everyone has helped me decide on i10 Era rather my initial tilts towards AStar or Wagon R Duo.

I made my decision based on the following conclusions which I think many of esteemed BHPian helped me arrive at.
  1. Wagon R was no no for every one, even I did not like the looks too much , but was inclined towards the Duo version since it would run on LPG ( 28/L), hence reducing my running cost.
  2. I understood with help from fellow members that I need to calculate the total cost of maintaining the car rather that only fuel cost that I was looking.
  3. Wagon R Duo would also fetch me a far less resale than any other car , I even checked with one True Value and they did not have one in stock, infact they suggested not to go for Duo sighting reason of engine longivity and suggested a petrol one instead.
  4. Petrol Wagon was never an option considering it has the same old 1 L engine as a Estilo, and they are all scheduled for ugrade to qualify for new emission norms.
  5. When I took a TD i noticed a few issues that were quite disconcerting a. The gear box was very hard awful b. There was just no pickup compared to my old Zen which had far better pickup.
  6. Astar was good option considering, I could get a lot of stuff like 4 power windows, rear defogger etc for the same price as i10 Era.
  7. But I had mentioned I think some where in this link that when I took the TD of Astar I felt claustrophobic , may be due to high AC exhaust hindering visibility to great extent.
  8. During TD there was great deal of engine nose inside the cabin, when i mentioned it to the sales person, he just said it is due to very bad driving that this test car goes through.
  9. Rear seating comfort and non existent dicky space was hinderence for me selecting Astar.
  10. I went through many other thread in this forum from which I gathered that the i10 Era 1.1 L engine gives far more mileage than 1.2 L kappa.
  11. The looks were always very attractive to me, it has much better build quality, gr8 interiors and smooth gears.
  12. The sales guys also told me that the new Hyundai cars are now coming equipped with Engine immobilizers.
OTR = 4 Lakhs ( No Ice) negotiating on some freebies like remote key less entry, fog lamps , teflon coating.
So there are my reasons. I really want to thank all for supporting me in this quest. I will surely start a new thread once I have car delivery.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks