Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2009, 12:04   #1
sb1

Maruti Wagor R Duo or Astar Vxi ? EDIT - Booked i10 Era

Hi,

After lot of research , TDs , Budgeting , I have narrowed down to Wagon R Duo and A-star VXi, which some what fit to my criteria as below.

1. I needed a car within Rupees 4 Lakhs price range.
2. Great FE or running cost.
3. Good after Sales service.
4. Great resale value after 3 years.
5. Extra features like 2 front power windows and ICE within that 4 lakh budget.

A-star Vxi comes after discount exact 4 lakhs after discounts in Kolkata and Wagon R Duo comes at a price 3.76 lakhs which gives some extra 20 K for ICE fitting .
Old 8th July 2009, 16:46   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

A Star advantages:

- Newer model + fresher
- More fuel efficient
- Great to drive at speed. Awesome stiff chassis.
- Better gearbox than the lousy one in WagonR

WagonR advantages:

- Far more practical than the A-Star. Starting with a better rear bench.
- Better in-city driveability. The A-star is rotten at low speeds.
- Available with a factory fit LPG variant
- 4 cylinder engine versus the A-Stars 3 cylinder. No rough idle or jerking at low rpms (like the A-Star).

I'd also suggest you try out the Santro + Chevy Spark, both of which are competent city hatches.
Old 8th July 2009, 16:51   #3
Team-BHP Support

Do you really need the LPG advantage?
Depending on how much you drive, calculate the ROI for the extra 20k you end up paying.

The Wagon R is a fantastic city drive. The A Star is ok, but the space in the rear is quite compromised.

I cannot recommend either of the cars.

Instead check out the deals available on the Zen Estillo. It has a lot of negative publicity but a Zen in silver looks decent and is a great VFM proposition.
Old 9th July 2009, 07:27   #4
Senior - BHPian

Please buy the LPG variant if only you are going to do substantial mileage month on month (Meaning atleast 2k KM). Anything in the 1000-1200 range and you are better off with a petrol. Remember LPG/CNG engines have a shorter engine life vis-a-vis a petrol one.

Now having said that, I would vote for the A - Star as it is a fresher car and has a better gear box.
Old 9th July 2009, 09:00   #5
BHPian

I would suggest you to add i10 ERA in your list. After the offers I think it will fall in your budget.
Old 9th July 2009, 09:23   #6
Senior - BHPian

I do suggest for Zen Estilo over the two you have listed. I own a Zen Estilo and no regrets till date.

The Zen Estilo Vxi comes with fully loaded

All the four power windows
Rear Defogger
Power assisted OVRM
Adjustable headlight beam
64BHP 1.1 Litre 4cylinder (same as Wagon R)
Tall boy design that provides comfort sitting for front and rear
Very practical cargo space
Clean dash board and console
Good Air-Conditioner
View from inside the cabin is excellent

I spent 8.5 grants to fix my Pioneer USB MP3 player with JBL speakers on the front and rear doors for Rs.8.5K

Got a huge discount and rounded the deal for Rs. 3.58L on road

As far as the disadvantages for Zen Estilo concerns

1. Looks some what similar line to TATA NANO the same time I would also say Zen Estilo is small Innova ;-)
2. Gears are not smooth but I used to it now.

Now, here is why I don't prefer to go for A-Star and Wagon R

A-Star

1. The cargo space in this car is really small, probably you can fill the space with 3 laptop bags

2. Cramped cabin space

Wagon R

1. Long years of selling and always feared of discontinuing the model

2. LPG is no use as number of LPG stations and power loss compare to petrol
Old 9th July 2009, 09:47   #7
BHPian

Right now, the Zen Estilo offers great VFM as there is rumored to be a refresh of the model so chances of a great deal are high. Like someone mentioned earlier, it looks decent in silver and has a fair bit of equipment for the price. It is the same platform as the WagonR but the interiors feel more spacious and it is a newer car than the WagonR.

I also agree with the above advice regrading LPG. Unless your monthly running is extremely high, don't bother with it. For city driving, the A-Star isn't all that special but you could also consider a low end i10 or a Santro. Both might meet your needs as well. I'd avoid the Spark as the A.S.S. isn't as good as Hyundai or Maruti and the resale isn't great either.
Old 9th July 2009, 10:04   #8
BANNED

What about Ritz ? It's a more pratical car & if you are one shoestring budget buy Lxi.
Old 9th July 2009, 10:27   #9
sb1

Quote:
Originally Posted by trammway View Post
I do suggest for Zen Estilo over the two you have listed. I own a Zen Estilo and no regrets till date.

The Zen Estilo Vxi comes with fully loaded
=========
1. Looks some what similar line to TATA NANO the same time I would also say Zen Estilo is small Innova ;-)
2. Gears are not smooth but I used to it now.

- Thanks for the reply .
Regarding Zen Estillo I know a couple of my collegues, who own one and have complained of very bad FE in the range of 10 KM/L . What is ur experience with FE.

Last edited by Jaggu : 9th July 2009 at 10:36. Reason: Fixing quotes and avoid quoting entire large post. Thanks
Old 9th July 2009, 12:03   #10

If you need a practical family car, choose WagonR. If you can compromise on space for the sake of driving fun, choose Astar.

Estilo is supposed to be a "refined form of WagonR". Same engine, wobbly shift, tacky interiors. I have one in my family which we purchased in Jan 2009 (exchanged our 2004 Alto). Returns 10-11 kmpl in city driving conditions. Poor seats make for an uncomfortable ride on long trips. Easy ingress/egress like WagonR. There are some good deals available at dealers these days. So many Maruti loyals are looking at it as a worthy upgrade from their 800/Zen/Altos.
Old 9th July 2009, 12:41   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post
- Thanks for the reply .
Regarding Zen Estillo I know a couple of my collegues, who own one and have complained of very bad FE in the range of 10 KM/L . What is ur experience with FE.
It all depends on how you drive. My wagonR (used mainly for very short distances within the city) Rarely gives me an FE above 10.
Old 9th July 2009, 12:51   #12
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest that you can go in for the base version of the Ritz as it has the practical space , FE and tall boy comforts.

A Star can be considered if you don’t want a boot at all. The rear seats are cramped. FE is good.

Wagon R is now seen as an dated product which can be phased off in some time.
Actually Ritz (Splash) has superseded Wagon R in most of the European markets.
Old 9th July 2009, 15:13   #13
sb1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj123 View Post
I would suggest that you can go in for the base version of the Ritz as it has the practical space , FE and tall boy comforts.

A Star can be considered if you don’t want a boot at all. The rear seats are cramped. FE is good.

Wagon R is now seen as an dated product which can be phased off in some time.
Actually Ritz (Splash) has superseded Wagon R in most of the European markets.
Hi tj,

I am also very fond of Ritz, but it is way beyond my budget even the Lxi version cost b/w 4.35-4.5 Lakhs on road in Kolkata. Plus I would need ICE on it as well.
Old 9th July 2009, 15:32   #14
BHPian

Toss a coin, you will realise what your heart longs for.
Old 9th July 2009, 15:50   #15
Senior - BHPian

How many people would be travelling in the car? The A star is seriously cramped & is good only for two people, even if you go out with friends & family once in a month this could be bothersome.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks