Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2009, 14:27   #46
BHPian

@janitha :

Is it possible to install any type of horn at the TASC ? How is the quality of the roots vibrosonic horn which you have installed? I had one roots horn installed in my Uno and did not even last two years.

What else have you installed in your vista? how about a DVD player?
Old 22nd August 2009, 17:25   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitindangoria View Post
@janitha :

Is it possible to install any type of horn at the TASC ? How is the quality of the roots vibrosonic horn which you have installed? I had one roots horn installed in my Uno and did not even last two years.

What else have you installed in your vista? how about a DVD player?
I can only say that they were agreeable when I asked them whether I shall bring Vibrosonic. I chose it since vibrosonic lasted more than four years in my Uno and only once having had to get it tuned, few months before I sold it. It was installed in the engine bay and there was no possibility of water entering inside during monsoons.
Old 2nd February 2012, 23:36   #48
BHPian

Re: Indica Vista vs Ritz

Guys, reviving an old thread (i started a new one and apparently, it's not cool)

So there has been much water under the bridge since the last post here. Tata has a refreshed Vista while much remained same about Ritz. What do you think, is the Vista VX a clear better buy than Ritz VDI (they are similarly priced, hence the 2 versions).
Old 9th February 2012, 17:20   #49
BHPian

Guys, pls help here. I have a major confusion between the two.

Background: I have been on the look out for a hatch far past 2 years now and only now have i managed to reach a point where i can buy one. I was only considering Diesel cars and Vista was only on periphery.

I was mostly sold on Ritz as the most practical Diesel hatch (my criteria was - space, low maintenance and modern features & looks. Swift i ruled out as expensive, no space car. Figo was very awkward from inside with rear windows design as well no power window option on the back and very low ingress point + NVH is too high.

But then Vista refresh came along and changed everything. And now I can decide between the two even though I am sold on what Vista has to offer as product(car) but i am worried about the ecosystem.

Thanks for your help.
Old 9th February 2012, 21:18   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedchauhan View Post

Background: I have been on the look out for a hatch far past 2 years now and only now have i managed to reach a point where i can buy one. I was only considering Diesel cars and Vista was only on periphery.

I was mostly sold on Ritz as the most practical Diesel hatch (my criteria was - space, low maintenance and modern features & looks. Swift i ruled out as expensive, no space car. Figo was very awkward from inside with rear windows design as well no power window option on the back and very low ingress point + NVH is too high.

But then Vista refresh came along and changed everything. And now I can decide between the two even though I am sold on what Vista has to offer as product(car) but i am worried about the ecosystem.

Thanks for your help.
From a practical, low maintenance cost, space view point, Vista would be the option. I may be biased, because i own one. But one thing it doesnt score well at is the snob value. I myself have not regretted buying it, but i have once in a while wished it had a better presence in the social circles
To make a decision, just do a back to back test drive and then you will find its so much an easier decision to make.
Old 9th February 2012, 23:10   #51
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks for your help.
Hi,

Please read my ownership thread to understand why i have brought the RITZ (baby elephant).
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...chocolate.html

Okay let me tel you a few points/suggestions (Unbaised)
1) Vista interior space is awesome, 4 or 5 people will be more comfortable inside the vista.
2)Vista and ritz both have the same engine, Fiat MJD, but hold on one second thats not the end of the story, they have different gear boxes and different aerodynamic characteristics, the result is Ritz is more FE than the Vista by about 2km/litre, i have checked this fact with many vista owners, the main reason for FE dip is the TATA gearbox.
3)If you buy the Ritz you have to upgrade to 185/70 R14 tyres to ensure your safe and you enjoy the handling on the car, it is not a bad car to chuck around the corners if the tyres are upgraded, its the same swift suspension end of the day, it is just a little behind swift in terms of handling.
4)Vista is very bad is terms of handling, the center instrument cluster is another major turn off factor, plus the build quality is another issue.
5)TATA A.S.S is no match to maruti A.S.S
6)Resale Value of Ritz is very good, and front leg room is good, the best part is the driving position, you sit up and drive, a big boon in city traffic.
7) I do not think the Vista is priced equal to the Ritz variant to Variant, I think Vista is 50k Cheaper Variant to Variant.

If your tight on budget go for the Vista, else it is Ritz VDI ABS is the car which you must buy.

Cheers

Last edited by Crazy4.Cars : 9th February 2012 at 23:13.
Old 9th February 2012, 23:54   #52
BHPian

My 2 cents on Ritz.

I drive a RITZ Vdi as a second car and my primary drive is the Linea T-Jet.

My Ritz has done 14000kms now in 6 months time and everytime I drive it it feels good from an economy perspective.

Its good and practical and gives a fatigue free driving because of the height of the car (purely from my view).

But one thing that makes me really unhappy with Ritz is the way it handles. High speed cornering is a strict NO NO and the steering feedback is also nothing to write about. I have had numerous scary moments in Ritz (mainly from a handling and steering feedback) when I drive it back to back after my FIAT. May be I am spoilt by the FIAT.

To sum it up, it is a good practical car and meant to be driven sedate in corners. Main thing you will love in the Ritz is the fuel eff. I get typically around 16-18 in City and 20-22 in Highway. And one more point is - 3 adults are a tight fit at the back seat of Ritz.

If you can increase your budget by another 30k or so.. look out for other options. You can check FIAT Punto and Swift. Else, Ritz is OK.
Sathya_sc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2012, 00:40   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vista_qjd View Post
From a practical, low maintenance cost, space view point, Vista would be the option. I may be biased, because i own one. But one thing it doesnt score well at is the snob value. I myself have not regretted buying it, but i have once in a while wished it had a better presence in the social circles
To make a decision, just do a back to back test drive and then you will find its so much an easier decision to make.
Thanks, my take on snob value

- Hatchbacks don't come with snob value
- even so if some one is hard bent on it, we all know which car costs how much
- and if one is bent even harder on it, i think the snob values comes from making a great choice (for oneself) and if you meet your requirements at best possible price - then it's something to be snobbish about
- and i seriously don't care for being a snob at all , we got independence long time bacck, didn't we?

Plus i think Vista refresh and success of Manza have worked towards addressing this perceived issue. So my only point of concern is, will I regret putting my hard earned money in this car? I have gone through most of the Vista ownership reviews and by and large all of them are happy with the cars and have only reported minor niggles. In fact Big Vishnu and gauravdgr8 are more than happy with their cars.

But the TATA Aria thread (no pride of ownership) has sowed need seeds of doubt. Will i get same lottery like feeling about the TASS?

I have test driven Vista/Figo and Polo and i like the way it handled and was particular to check how the gear shift worked - it worked fine with my limited car driving experience. I felt cramped in Polo. I like FIgo's handling but NVH just put us off big-time. Vista was very good too, with acceleration and gear shifts, but i am doubtful about the AC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4.Cars View Post
Hi,

Please read my ownership thread to understand why i have brought the RITZ (baby elephant).

1) Vista interior space is awesome, 4 or 5 people will be more comfortable inside the vista.
2)Vista and ritz both have the same engine, Fiat MJD, but hold on one second thats not the end of the story, they have different gear boxes and different aerodynamic characteristics, the result is Ritz is more FE than the Vista by about 2km/litre, i have checked this fact with many vista owners, the main reason for FE dip is the TATA gearbox.
3)If you buy the Ritz you have to upgrade to 185/70 R14 tyres to ensure your safe and you enjoy the handling on the car, it is not a bad car to chuck around the corners if the tyres are upgraded, its the same swift suspension end of the day, it is just a little behind swift in terms of handling.
4)Vista is very bad is terms of handling, the center instrument cluster is another major turn off factor, plus the build quality is another issue.
6)Resale Value of Ritz is very good, and front leg room is good, the best part is the driving position, you sit up and drive, a big boon in city traffic.
7) I do not think the Vista is priced equal to the Ritz variant to Variant, I think Vista is 50k Cheaper Variant to Variant.

If your tight on budget go for the Vista, else it is Ritz VDI ABS is the car which you must buy.

Cheers
You've got a great thread here and i can already see most of the cars you have rejected are for the same reasons as I have - Figo, Beat, Polo and Punto (never considered sedans or i20). Guess that's why we have Ritz on top of our lists.

- I agree about FE, could be also because Vista is little heavier.
- Handling was not an issue, and i am fine with centrally mounted instrument cluster. Maybe it's just me, but i did not even notice it so much
- agreed on resale value too, but i don't want to worry about it now
- MASS Vs. TASS is the biggest question?
- My friend had Ritz Vdi and i had sat in it once (there were 5 of us) and we kept hearing a thud every time it went over a hump and it was already serviced once (he said it was not rectified rightly). So not sure what to make of it.

And yes, price is indeed important, my budget was 6.5L, but the prices have already gone up. Vista VX is 6.72 (post 10k discount) and Ritz VDI (w/o ABS, music system) is 6.56.

I am taking back to back test drives on Saturday - it should help. What more should i be on look out for during the test drives?
Old 10th February 2012, 00:57   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys, reviving an old thread (i started a new one and apparently, it's not cool)

So there has been much water under the bridge since the last post here. Tata has a refreshed Vista while much remained same about Ritz. What do you think, is the Vista VX a clear better buy than Ritz VDI (they are similarly priced, hence the 2 versions).
I was the first one to reply when you began a new thread, came back to see the status and the thread was gone. Anyways, I drive a Ritz petrol and have a good idea about the car except the diesel engine of the car in question (ddis).

Firstly, the car is quite bouncy and as you mentioned, it does thud over bad roads. You buy the Ritz for Maruti's after sales service, for the sense of airiness, space over many other hatches and decent build quality at that price. But wait, the Vista offers you all this and more (barring the after sales satisfaction). You get a lot of space, much improved quality and features like ABS, music system, electric mirrors and did I mention more space??

When I was in the market for a petrol hatch back in 2010, I loved the Vista, the deal-breaker being the petrol engine which I just did not like. But back then I was very impressed with the car over-all but just wished it had a nicer heart. And guess what?? It has just improved!! If its the diesel you seek, I would advice you the go for the Vista- under-rated, practical, feature-packed and ofcourse very spacious.

Do let us know your decision.

Last edited by S2!!! : 10th February 2012 at 01:07.
Old 10th February 2012, 03:08   #55
Senior - BHPian

My first question is how many people do you expect to seat in the vehicle on a regular basis. If the answer is one or two with more than that being a very rare exception, then the space offered in the back does not matter so much. If on the other hand it is four or five people regularly, then space does matter.

Next is what is the ratio of city to highway usage you expect to do. The more city usage, especially with few people, then boot space is not as important. For highway driving, especially long distance, look first at comfort, second at handling and third at the space needed for luggage.

If the distance used monthly is low, consider a petrol. It is cheaper in the short and even long run.

A.S.S is also an important consideration. Tata has improved no doubt, but Maruti is still better at this today.

VFM, the Tata will win so consider carefully what features you want and need and see if the car you select has that. Additional features (outside of safety features) are just a bonus.

Once you answer these questions for yourself, then TD the vehicles you have short listed (here Indica and Ritz), though after consideration you may decide on other vehicles, and then decide what to get.

Sorry for not giving you a choice between your two vehicles, but hope this helps you figure out what you want.
Old 10th February 2012, 07:10   #56
BHPian

Having owned a Vista QJD, here is my take on things:

1. Many people who complain about the snob value of Vista have probably never even seen Vista from Inside. Somewhere the indica taxi experience gets automatically forced on this car, which I think is very unfair. In fact most of the people who have stepped into my car have changed their perception almost immediately .

2. Vista is not the best for tackling corners at high speed, but please it's not the worst and I am very clear that it is far better than other tall boys (not naming any, please check for yourself). It has excellent driving comfort, seating position and very good road presence.

3. The FE of smaller/lighter cars (with the same engine etc) should be more than a bigger/heavier Vista.

4. After Sales Service of the top two people vehicle manufacturers in India is surely better than TATA's. But again, TATA is also good and has come a long way.

5. I agree, some parts of Vista were notorious, but they were smaller parts and the issue have been rectified. Like for e.g.: the PW switch, which seems to stop working (not break). Such parts are promptly replaced. Is it a pain to see this happening: Yes, Is it a deal breaker: For me NO. Panel gaps are evident, but then again the plastics are of good quality.

6. Vista in particular has excellent NVH reduction capabilities. My car has run around 23,000 kms and nothings rattles (it's little early to comment though). This is again better other diesel compititors.

I can go on, please check my thread for more details: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...-page-4-a.html
Old 10th February 2012, 09:30   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

Cheers
FE in vista is marginally lower due to the increased weight and the gear ratios maybe. But the gearbox is so much better tuned for a city drive. Drive it around for a while and you will realize that
Again A.S.S is something you deal with once a year. Its pretty OK and my experience so far is pretty decent.
Resale of a Ritz am not so sure about. It hasn't been a box office hit either.
Comfort wise, cant beat Vista - would say one of the most plush rides.
Vista is not a round the corner performer, but handles much better compared to a Ritz
Old 10th February 2012, 09:45   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, my take on snob value

- Hatchbacks don't come with snob value
- even so if some one is hard bent on it, we all know which car costs how much
- and if one is bent even harder on it, i think the snob values comes from making a great choice (for oneself) and if you meet your requirements at best possible price - then it's something to be snobbish about
- and i seriously don't care for being a snob at all , we got independence long time bacck, didn't we?

Plus i think Vista refresh and success of Manza have worked towards addressing this perceived issue. So my only point of concern is, will I regret putting my hard earned money in this car? I have gone through most of the Vista ownership reviews and by and large all of them are happy with the cars and have only reported minor niggles. In fact Big Vishnu and gauravdgr8 are more than happy with their cars.

But the TATA Aria thread (no pride of ownership) has sowed need seeds of doubt. Will i get same lottery like feeling about the TASS?

I have test driven Vista/Figo and Polo and i like the way it handled and was particular to check how the gear shift worked - it worked fine with my limited car driving experience. I felt cramped in Polo. I like FIgo's handling but NVH just put us off big-time. Vista was very good too, with acceleration and gear shifts, but i am doubtful about the AC.

You've got a great thread here and i can already see most of the cars you have rejected are for the same reasons as I have - Figo, Beat, Polo and Punto (never considered sedans or i20). Guess that's why we have Ritz on top of our lists.

- I agree about FE, could be also because Vista is little heavier.
- Handling was not an issue, and i am fine with centrally mounted instrument cluster. Maybe it's just me, but i did not even notice it so much
- agreed on resale value too, but i don't want to worry about it now
- MASS Vs. TASS is the biggest question?
- My friend had Ritz Vdi and i had sat in it once (there were 5 of us) and we kept hearing a thud every time it went over a hump and it was already serviced once (he said it was not rectified rightly). So not sure what to make of it.

And yes, price is indeed important, my budget was 6.5L, but the prices have already gone up. Vista VX is 6.72 (post 10k discount) and Ritz VDI (w/o ABS, music system) is 6.56.

I am taking back to back test drives on Saturday - it should help. What more should i be on look out for during the test drives?
Hi,

I'm not facing any thud sound on bad roads for sure, yes i do face a slight khat sound over speed breakers if cross the speed breaker above the speed of 10km/hr.

It is no because of the weight of the Vista that FE is bad, Punto gives almost the FE of the Swift and the Ritz, its about the Gear Box quality and gear ratios which TATA has been unable to deliver on. Drive the Ritz and Vista back to back for 20kms you'll realize the fact.

Also the NVH on the Ritz is far better than the NVH of the Vista. Now if you get a abused Ritz/vista for a test drive then i'm sorry, please check out some customers car which has come for service for the NVH factor. Just start the car and listen to it by standing in front of it and listen to it by sitting inside the car with windows rolled up, you'll find the difference.

Also one major factor why i dropped the Vista was because it is called " Indica Vista" . With due respect to all the owners of this car, but i personally didnt like the way TATA has done the badging with the Indica name, putting 6lakhs of your hard earned money on the Indica badge and listening to people's comments in social circles was a big risk to be taken.

Is Vista VX the right variant to compare to the Ritz VDI? i think the Vista VX has more features. Like i said before variant to Variant as far as i can remember the Vista is 40-50k cheaper than the Ritz, if you are tight on budget without any doubt go for the Vista.

Last edited by Crazy4.Cars : 10th February 2012 at 09:49.
Old 10th February 2012, 11:12   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
It is no because of the weight of the Vista that FE is bad, Punto gives almost the FE of the Swift and the Ritz, its about the Gear Box quality and gear ratios which TATA has been unable to deliver on. Drive the Ritz and Vista back to back for 20kms you'll realize the fact.
The Tata Vista 1.3 Quadrajet uses an engine-gearbox combination sourced from Fiat. The c510 gearbox in the Vista is actually a Fiat gearbox, and not a "TATA gearbox". I don't think Fiat gearboxes are bad as far as fuel efficiency is concerned. So, like others have pointed out, the reason for a slightly lower FE maybe largely because it is a bigger and heavier car.

Quote:
... putting 6lakhs of your hard earned money on the Indica badge and listening to people's comments in social circles was a big risk to be taken.
I am a proud Vista owner! I am happy you made the above observation about how social circles see Vista owners. That just proves one thing - All proud Vista owners are very thick-skinned and don't care two hoots about what other mortals say.

I too lusted after the Ritz for close to a year. However, when my wife sat inside the Ritz we test-drove, her first statement was "Oh gosh! This whole interior is all grey and dull". That was when Tata brought out the latest Vista, with the dual tone Black-Sahara Beige interiors. The debate was settled and we now own a Vista.
Old 10th February 2012, 12:52   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

Also the NVH on the Ritz is far better than the NVH of the Vista. Now if you get a abused Ritz/vista for a test drive then i'm sorry, please check out some customers car which has come for service for the NVH factor. Just start the car and listen to it by standing in front of it and listen to it by sitting inside the car with windows rolled up, you'll find the difference.

Also one major factor why i dropped the Vista was because it is called " Indica Vista" . With due respect to all the owners of this car, but i personally didnt like the way TATA has done the badging with the Indica name, putting 6lakhs of your hard earned money on the Indica badge and listening to people's comments in social circles was a big risk to be taken.

Is Vista VX the right variant to compare to the Ritz VDI? i think the Vista VX has more features. Like i said before variant to Variant as far as i can remember the Vista is 40-50k cheaper than the Ritz, if you are tight on budget without any doubt go for the Vista.
1. Gearbox is from Fiat and not tata and FE is better for Ritz is because of its light weight flimsy build
2. NVH, like you said, i think you should do the back to back test and check out the difference for yourself
3. You are more worried about what others might think, then vista is definitely not for you
4. Vista VX to VDI is the right comparison, unless ZDI is a mid variant for Ritz
5. You keep mentioning about going for vista if tight on budget. You have mentioned the same comment twice in your two posts. Being cheaper just shows the value vista brings to the table. Dont make it sound like if you want a cheaper option go for vista. Vista definitely is a cheaper better option in this comparison

Last edited by vista_qjd : 10th February 2012 at 12:56.
vista_qjd is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed