Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th February 2012, 13:25   #61
BHPian

Re: Indica Vista vs Ritz

Buddy the Vista ticks all the right boxes. I have done 37000 kms in just under 2 years on my petrol vista. Every time I sit in the car I feel I made the right choice. It the the most comfortable hatch hands down. Even after two years of punishment, like driving over potholes without slowing down, taking speed breakers in third gear at 40 the car still does not squeak or rattle. My maintenance costs over the past two years have been zero courtesy tata TMS. The A.S.S is good, it does not have the bells and whistles like coffee vending machines and stuff but it is good. Tata has come a long way. You even get calls from their customer service team to check feedback.

About high speed handling, It handles beautifully and you will almost never feel that you are not in control. The new vista has upgraded brakes as well. Most importantly the feeling of safety that you have is great. Just look at the hinges of the front door and you will know what I am talking about. Lift the bonnet, feel its weight. The doors close with a nice thunk.

The 60-40 split rear seat is also great, I have transported a cooler, excercise cycle etc in the car! Go for it, you will not regret, I swear on "my vista".

@Crazy4Cars - buddy the only way you get 'Snob" value is not by a Vista or a Ritz it is by buying a BMW or a Merc or an Audi or even Better a Lambo.

Every single person who ever sat in my car just says "WOW". I have 4 friends who brought the Vista and we have a Manza soon to get delivered.

And yes, when you go to a parking lot how many Maruti's do you see? And how many Vista's!

Does snob value also affect handling and safety?

Last edited by torquecurve : 10th February 2012 at 13:32.
torquecurve is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2012, 14:11   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquecurve View Post

The 60-40 split rear seat is also great, I have transported a cooler, excercise cycle etc in the car! .
Missed to mention this, but agree this is one of the best features ever. I have at one point transported 22 plastic chairs (ones you see at functions) and on another occasion a washing machine inside my car - with the rear seat folded. Just cant beat the utility aspect of the vehicle.
Old 10th February 2012, 15:38   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sathya_sc View Post
My 2 cents on Ritz.

I drive a RITZ Vdi as a second car and my primary drive is the Linea T-Jet.

My Ritz has done 14000kms now in 6 months time and everytime I drive it it feels good from an economy perspective.

Its good and practical and gives a fatigue free driving because of the height of the car (purely from my view).

But one thing that makes me really unhappy with Ritz is the way it handles. High speed cornering is a strict NO NO and the steering feedback is also nothing to write about. I have had numerous scary moments in Ritz (mainly from a handling and steering feedback) when I drive it back to back after my FIAT. May be I am spoilt by the FIAT.

To sum it up, it is a good practical car and meant to be driven sedate in corners. Main thing you will love in the Ritz is the fuel eff. I get typically around 16-18 in City and 20-22 in Highway. And one more point is - 3 adults are a tight fit at the back seat of Ritz.

If you can increase your budget by another 30k or so.. look out for other options. You can check FIAT Punto and Swift. Else, Ritz is OK.
Hi,

what tyres do you use on the Ritz? 165/80 R14?

Ofcourse we can not compare the handling of the Ritz with FIAT on any given day, but if your really unhappy with the handling of the Ritz, then my suggestion would be to upgrade to 185/70 R14, its safer and wil make you feel good.

Cheers
Crazy4.Cars is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2012, 15:44   #64
Senior - BHPian

Seriously, I am not sure why this confusion exists at the first place. If I had been at your place, I would have blindfolded walked into Tata Showroom and picked up the Vista.
I have seen Ritz blown into pieces on the highway, with even the plastic fuel tank seperated from the body, while nothing serious but the car was a total loss. Vista in such situations may be a better bet with it's strong body.
Now, besides the VFM quotient of the Vista, more space, more features, good ride and decent handling, what else do you values more (including your life) ?
Think , Think and decide!!
It's not such a difficult question after all.
Old 10th February 2012, 15:51   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vista_qjd View Post
1. Gearbox is from Fiat and not tata and FE is better for Ritz is because of its light weight flimsy build
2. NVH, like you said, i think you should do the back to back test and check out the difference for yourself
3. You are more worried about what others might think, then vista is definitely not for you
4. Vista VX to VDI is the right comparison, unless ZDI is a mid variant for Ritz
5. You keep mentioning about going for vista if tight on budget. You have mentioned the same comment twice in your two posts. Being cheaper just shows the value vista brings to the table. Dont make it sound like if you want a cheaper option go for vista. Vista definitely is a cheaper better option in this comparison
Check out the Ritz Team bhp review, its one of the better build Maruti's. If your calling it flimsy build your being too biased about the Vista honestly and we must remember that we are trying to help our fellow bhpian here to decide what suits his requirements the most.

NVH, again please check with all fellow bhpians, the same MJD engine doing duty on the swift and ritz sounds different when compared to the punto and vista. My neighbours have the Vista, Punto, Swift and i own the Ritz, every night when cars come back after a long day, when we park cars post 11Pm we can make out which car is more noisy on the outside. The Vista owner has walked upto me twice asking me how does this maruti sound so refined and silent at idle? he is about 10 years elder than me, i politely tell him its nothing to worry about, its just the way the engine's are tuned, but end of the day i know the fact that he is right in his observation.

I'm unaware about the Vista's current variants, thus i was enquiring if Vista VX is the right comparison for the Ritz Vdi, where does the RITZ ZDI come from?

Exactly vista is the cheaper option, and thus i'm suggesting our friend to go for it, since he is quoted his budget requirements to us, i'm not trying to sound" ïf you want a cheaper option go for the vista".Nope not at all, i'm just trying to give the right suggestion, even if i was tight on budget i would have brought the vista, because 50k matters a lot in 2012.

Last edited by Crazy4.Cars : 10th February 2012 at 15:56.
Old 10th February 2012, 18:42   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4.Cars View Post
Hi,

what tyres do you use on the Ritz? 165/80 R14?

Ofcourse we can not compare the handling of the Ritz with FIAT on any given day, but if your really unhappy with the handling of the Ritz, then my suggestion would be to upgrade to 185/70 R14, its safer and wil make you feel good.

Cheers
I actually agree.

On a lighter note, actually, am looking at this in another way.. Convince my wife somehow to upgrade to another sedan or SUV. Just blowing the handling part out of proportion to my wife to get her acceptance for change
Sathya_sc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2012, 20:49   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedchauhan View Post
And now I can decide between the two even though I am sold on what Vista has to offer as product(car) but i am worried about the ecosystem.
Hi,
If you plan to keep your car for longer than say two/ three years, the Ritz would be my choice.

Do check out the Vistas boot space. Might or might not be important.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 11th February 2012, 10:17   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
I was the first one to reply when you began a new thread, came back to see the status and the thread was gone.
... and did I mention more space??

Do let us know your decision.
I know, all i got to see was the deletion message. As i said in my 1st post - my idea of a car is SPACE and that's what i find most attaractive with Vista.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pganapathy View Post
My first question is how many people do you expect to seat in the vehicle on a regular basis. If the answer is one or two with more than that being a very rare exception, then the space offered in the back does not matter so much.

A.S.S is also an important consideration. Tata has improved no doubt, but Maruti is still better at this today.

Additional features (outside of safety features) are just a bonus.
I disagree with 1st point - Even if i travel with more than 2 people only twice a year, it should be a comfortable ride and i shouldn't be cursing myself for buying something without space (because, from my experience, these are mostly long haul trips and you don't want people in the back feeling discriminated against).

If TASS is improved - i can take it, but is it really improved? that's the nagging doubt!

Well after the list of must have features (which as you rightly said are safety ones), i would like to have a car with lot of nice to have features (comfort and convenience ones).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4.Cars View Post
Hi,

I'm not facing any thud sound on bad roads for sure, yes i do face a slight khat sound over speed breakers if cross the speed breaker above the speed of 10km/hr.

Also the NVH on the Ritz is far better than the NVH of the Vista. Just start the car and listen to it by standing in front of it and listen to it by sitting inside the car with windows rolled up, you'll find the difference.

Also one major factor why i dropped the Vista was because it is called " Indica Vista" .

Is Vista VX the right variant to compare to the Ritz VDI? i think the Vista VX has more features. Like i said before variant to Variant as far as i can remember the Vista is 40-50k cheaper than the Ritz, if you are tight on budget without any doubt go for the Vista.
It could be khat too but the point is - it was disappointing in a new car.

I cannot comment on NVH, will test it today but i like the idea of going into service center and checking it out -will give it a try.

I don't care about badge, it's a state of mind, and this is subjective, so to each his own.

VX is the right variant, but it's still one level above VDI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miel View Post
I am a proud Vista owner! I am happy you made the above observation about how social circles see Vista owners. That just proves one thing - All proud Vista owners are very thick-skinned and don't care two hoots about what other mortals say.

That was when Tata brought out the latest Vista, with the dual tone Black-Sahara Beige interiors. The debate was settled and we now own a Vista.
And if the car is as good as it looks right now, proud you should be. And why would you call yourself thick-skinned, i'd rather say you have a strong self image and are confident of choices YOU make.

For me too, the Vista refresh changed everything!! Do you mind PMing me your number?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Hi,
If you plan to keep your car for longer than say two/ three years, the Ritz would be my choice.

Sutripta
What's the thought process behind your statement, please elaborate? I do plan to keep it for a long time.

Last edited by wickedchauhan : 11th February 2012 at 10:18. Reason: Forgot to mention a point
Old 11th February 2012, 10:23   #69
BHPian

Well i just saw the ndtv website last night which said TATA has increased the car prices.

@wickedchauhan, after reading your responses, i feel Vista is the car for you buddy.
I agree with your concern about A.S.S but then end of the day its a once a year or twice a year headace, but if the car is putting a tick mark on all other requirements that you have go for it.
Old 11th February 2012, 11:44   #70
BHPian

I am off for the test drives. Will give a detailed report once done.

Thanks everyone!
Old 11th February 2012, 20:48   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What's the thought process behind your statement, please elaborate? I do plan to keep it for a long time.
These cars don't age well. (Personal opinion formed from personal experience.)

Regards
Sutripta
Old 11th February 2012, 21:17   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am off for the test drives. Will give a detailed report once done.

Thanks everyone!
TATA After sales is the only concern behind you buying a Vista i guess.
After sales varies from city to city dealer to dealer, so check it out in your place.

Vista is the only genuine 5 seater hatch , great ride and its total VFM.

RITZ is also a excellent car, but plain seats,bumpy ride in comparision, thick A pillars, poor rear visibilty,can only fit 4 in comfort.
Its the best & cheapest diesel maruti to buy around 5-5.5 L bracket.

On downside Vista might age earlier than Maruti, also need to check prices of spares for comparision.

I feel no one should buy a car thinking of resale in mind, just enjoy the product while it is with you rather than living with lesser features.

Also for people who might not go for VISTA just because it has a INDICA in front, think! This very Indica is the lifeline of IT/Call centre industry and is the most abused car on road i believe, still 10 years down the line it is still the most popular car for them.

I have been travelling to & fro by normal indica since last 5 years, and i swear by its ride comfort.Vista is surely much much better than indica.

I do not know about the build quality ,but neither of these two can be compared against the TANK - Punto.

Last edited by silverado : 11th February 2012 at 21:29.
silverado is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2012, 21:47   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
TATA After sales is the only concern behind you buying a Vista i guess.
After sales varies from city to city dealer to dealer, so check it out in your place.

Vista is the only genuine 5 seater hatch , great ride and its total VFM.

Not only A** , Even before sales, TATA sucks big time here in Trivandrum. Today I received a call from the dealer saying that they have VISTA diesel ready stock and if I give an appointment, they would be glad to tell me the details. I told him that a TD would be fine and he can tell me "HIS CONVENIENT" time. He told 1700hrs today. Since it will be difficult to reach my home (difficult to explain over phone), I offered that I will be at a prominent junction by 1700hrs (Pappanamcode JUnction). I reached by 1655. No sight of any INDICA VISTA. I called him by 1715 . "Sir, I have reached Vellayambalam", 7 1/2 km from my place. I wait. 1730. No relief . 1745. No relief. at 1755 I was returning home, I got a call saying that HE , THE MAJESTY has reached Pappanamcode junction. I told him that if you make me wait for one hour before the vehicle is sold, I shudder to imagine the treatment after I hand over my hard earned money for your brand vehicle. He told there was some traffic block , some accident , bla bla .... Then I asked him will you tell yourself these reasons, if you were to catch a train or flight? Only because it is a customer, your taking your own sweet time. I said you keep your car with you and dont treat the next customer at least like this. End of the story
Old 11th February 2012, 21:56   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikanthns View Post
End of the story
Absolutely unacceptable buddy.
Please try another dealer if possible.

I bought my Nano from Concorde even though it was far away than Wasan motors and Wasan was offering a 5k discount.

I have shifted to Pune from Mumbai and i find Pandit auto service to be much better than mumbai dealers, like say Fortune motors in mumbai.

Surely ,never heard such things from Maruti sales.
Old 12th February 2012, 01:16   #75
BHPian

Well, I am back from the test drive and i think i have a good understanding of what I want (there may be something for you too @srikanthns).

First up, Bimal Motors (Maruti), Old Airport Road. I took a friend of mine along, strictly as impartial judge (he owns a City, used to own WagonR earlier).

Note: my friend is 6'2" and I am 6'

So we reach 15 min. late from our agreed time of 12PM. The guy says wait up, the car is on it's way. We lounged around for for another 15-20 mins before the car came. And I would be remiss if i didn't say i was more than disappointed with the car that came. My first question was - Is that a customer's car you ave got for a TD? He said no sir, it's demo car - with 35K on the odo!!! With the tacky and broken down interior's i thought he might be right and i had no way of knowing. So we went along. My friend took the seat first and as soon as we were on the road, this guy gets the call from his colleague who is screaming at him and asking where he is, guess she has some other appointment. The guy says, we should take a U-turn at next crossing barely 2 mins into the car and I couldn't control my anger at him. He says, sir, this is the normal TD length and why do we want a longer one. We told him categorically that we had fixed an appointment and we will not let his/his colleague's/ his dealership's inanity come in the way. And we proceeded with the TD the way we wanted it . We took our time and switched the driving position after sometime.

In all, here is the feedback on the car

- Good airy feel in the front seats
- Gear transmission smooth
- 2nd gear performance not good, we felt lot of lag
- AC is good, very functional
- Suspension - not so great, did not take to humps very well
- Noise was filtering in a lot (don't know what to put it down to)
- Back seats stiff, not very comfy
- Handling was good

Overall experience with car was good, not the dealership. But that's par for the course in India. Also, the thread about Maruti dealer's cartel seems bang on, the dealership person admitted as much when we were discussing financials. He said all dealerships have decided on no discounts etc and any infraction would be punished by Maruti with a 5L fine

Then we proceeded to KHT Motors (TATA), Whitefield. I could not book a TD in time and we just walked in. And as it would turn out, they had sent the car for an event and no other TD car was available. We said can we go to the event which was near TIN factory and they said they'll check. So we waited and eneded up taking TD of 2012 Nano!! About Nano later; the person said we could not go to the event. So we called up Concorde and they said the TD could be arranged. So we took a trip half way across the city and reached Dairy circle.

The experience was good to start with, the car was ready and the exact variant we wanted. We told the person upfront that we wanted a long TD - he said no problem, take it anywhere you want; Wow! We took it to the E City toll road (had to pay Rs 55, but it was worth it). So we tested the car for everything - stability, speed, braking, suspension, acceleration, everything. Here are some of the observations . He was up first again, on the driver''s seat. Car had 3k on the Odo.

- His first comment - these seats are very comfortable
- then we touched the plastics; on the dash, it was soft, elsewhere -smooth, not the rough we both expected... his 2nd comment, this is not TATA quality, how is it good?
- We then started looking for panel gaps as i never understood what those were and he has been driving for quite sometime now, we could not locate any obvious ones
- Then we started the TD, acceleration was good, no lag in 2nd gear but heavy in 3rd
- by this time AC had kicked in well and the car kept in hot sun cooled pretty fast
- Gear transmission was not as smooth as Ritz
- Other mechanical stuff a little on the harder side to use (indicator etc)
- horn was a little hard to operate
- other steering mounted controls pretty functional, no problem with working, i paired my phone with Bluetooth, we called a common friend, played songs from my phone - all good, no problems.
- We tried other switches, power windows, door knobs - all in working condition
- No filtering in of noise, silent on that front (compared to Ritz, which i know was well abused)
- We took it up to 140Ks; it felt very planted, good mannered. Brakes confidence inspiring. In city condition, could not test for body roll though
- it took the potholes, undulating roads very well. Mt friend said, better than his City

We came back after almost a 30 mins TD and were pretty satisfied. Pound to pound, we felt, Vista is a much better car. The only thing i may have to live with, is the gear transmission. Apart from that, i felt everything was fine and stays that way. Both of us were in agreement over our choice of Vista (he was a person who had a negative experience with TATA's to erase - on the product front, not service).

So guys, this is the story so far. Please help me in choosing the right dealer and right package - AMC, Insurance, other offers, etc. What accessories should i go for (given my limited budget), which sun film, under body coating and so on.
wickedchauhan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks