Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2017, 16:40   #391
BHPian

Re: Which Automatic Hatch?

Alright my dear friends, need your help. Cutting a very long story really short, my mother needs a new car. She drives a 2011 model Nano and the car being her daily beater, is now in a very bad shape. She is the "Typical Indian Lady Driver", no offence meant to the female folks who actually drive well! Giving her a new manual is a terrible choice considering her driving style, the aim is to make driving as simple as possible and hence it has to be an automatic.

Now, a Nano AMT makes the most sense. The car will do approx. 500 - 600 kms max in a month with 95% driving within city limits. However, my mother isn't keen on another Nano purely due to the perception issue. Her take is that the Nano is not a real car ! I still have a 20% hope left that she'll understand my point and if that be not the case, my alternatives are the Nissan Micra XL CVT, Grand i10 Magna AT, Tiago XTA and the Ignis AMT (Not sure on the variant here).

Automatic options such as Wagon R, Celerio, Kwid and the Alto are ruled out entirely. Upgrading beyond the Nano will mean I'll also be trading in my first car, a 2007 model petrol swift along with the old Nano. The car is largely unused right now and is in my garage purely due to the emotional quotient. So, I don't want to trade in with another car inferior to my beloved Swift, no matter what the argument might be.

The Micra CVT is the most appealing to my heart, but the production might end anytime now. Grand i10 AT Magna is strictly okay as a car but heard bad reviews about the Torque Converter Unit. I'm yet to drive one though. Tiago, in spite of all rave reviews, does not come across as an appealing option for some reason. I probably don't want to spend close to 6 lacs on an AMT unit. Or maybe that it is without a doubt in a lower segment than my swift. I'm targeting a budget of 6 lacs OTR with year-end discounts in December/ Jan.

The likes of Jazz/ Baleno/ Polo/ Brio etc are ruled out on budget.

So its the Micra vs Grand i10 vs Tiago in their respective automatic avatars, what are your thoughts?
RSM_TorqueZoner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2017, 17:04   #392
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSM_TorqueZoner View Post

So its the Micra vs Grand i10 vs Tiago in their respective automatic avatars, what are your thoughts?
My vote would be for Tiago AMT.

Grand i10 would not return more than 9-10 kmpl FE within city limits, and does not have ABS.

Micra CVT has has a lot of features (auto headlamp + auto ac + auto wipers + abs + ebd + ba, but surprisingly only driver airbag), but Nissan service / support / continuity may be a dicey game.

Tiago XZA has twin airbags + abs + ebd, and amt should, in theory, return FE comparable to a manual in the city. Also should be the cheapest of the 3 choices.
Old 21st November 2017, 17:07   #393
BHPian

Quote:
Alright my dear friends, need your help. Cutting a very long story really short, my mother needs a new car. She drives a 2011 model Nano and the car being her daily beater, is now in a very bad shape. She is the "Typical Indian Lady Driver", no offence meant to the female folks who actually drive well! Giving her a new manual is a terrible choice considering her driving style, the aim is to make driving as simple as possible and hence it has to be an automatic.
I owned a grand i10 AT, used it for 3 years before upgrading. Here is my opinion, dont consider sporty credentials (its your mom's car so I am hoping you are not), its a nice little hatch with really good fit and finish really smooth shifts in normal driving. Relatively good suspension and good space on the inside. Expect low FE I was getting 9-10kmpl with AC in Mumbai traffic. My mom used to drive it and loved the little car.

One of dad's friend has a Tiago AT and he loves it I havent been in it so cant comment but on the surface it looks like a good car as well.

Last edited by ampere : 21st November 2017 at 21:28. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
ronz_2507 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2017, 17:42   #394
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I'm targeting a budget of 6 lacs OTR with year-end discounts in December/ Jan.
I doubt you will get a new CVT in that range. Even if Nissan were to give it to you at that price due to discounts, I would still advise you to stick with either Hyundai or Maruti. For peace of mind and better after sale support (like OTC spares/choice of using independent garages later on etc).

Get her a test-drive of both the i10 and Ignis. The good front visibility and upright seating in Ignis, I personally felt, is a boon to the elderly. Most other AMT hatches in the price range have low slung seating. I was also in the market for an AMT earlier for my dad, but the plan is shelved for now. The finalists were Tiago (25%) and Ignis (75%).

The Ignis Delta AMT which is around 5.5 lakhs ex-showroom Delhi, might just slip in your budget. Since it is not a good seller as per Maruti's standards, they may sweeten the deal further with free accessories and cash discounts.
Old 21st November 2017, 17:59   #395
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
My vote would be for Tiago AMT.

Micra CVT has has a lot of features (auto headlamp + auto ac + auto wipers + abs + ebd + ba, but surprisingly only driver airbag), but Nissan service / support / continuity may be a dicey game.
Exactly why I'm not too sure on the Micra, future looks too dicey for an otherwise reasonably good car. Too long in the tooth for sure, but it was a favourite alongside the old diesel Figo for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronz_2507 View Post
I owned a grand i10 AT, used it for 3 years before upgrading. Here is my opinion, dont consider sporty credentials (its your mom's car so I am hoping you are not), its a nice little hatch with really good fit and finish really smooth shifts in normal driving. Relatively good suspension and good space on the inside. Expect low FE I was getting 9-10kmpl with AC in Mumbai traffic. My mom used to drive it and loved the little car.

One of dad's friend has a Tiago AT and he loves it I havent been in it so cant comment but on the surface it looks like a good car as well.
You've got a point spot on, my mother will be the primary driver. And I may not even be in the country, so a hassle-free ownership experience will be a plus. While I would have been happier with a better FE, it shouldn't be a deal breaker. Looks like Micra on the way out, Grand i10 definitely deserves a look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
I doubt you will get a new CVT in that range. Even if Nissan were to give it to you at that price due to discounts, I would still advise you to stick with either Hyundai or Maruti. For peace of mind and better after sale support (like OTC spares/choice of using independent garages later on etc).

Get her a test-drive of both the i10 and Ignis. The good front visibility and upright seating in Ignis, I personally felt, is a boon to the elderly. Most other AMT hatches in the price range have low slung seating. I was also in the market for an AMT earlier for my dad, but the plan is shelved for now. The finalists were Tiago (25%) and Ignis (75%).
Yeah, the brilliant DSG or even a good CVT at my price point would have been awesome

I've not driven the Ignis yet. So yes, it has to be between the Grand i10, Tiago and the Ignis now. What I'm still fighting against is the enthusiast in me, which is quite frankly, not too happy with any of the above! But then have to be pragmatic and make a wise decision for my mother's sake.
RSM_TorqueZoner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2017, 18:20   #396
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I've not driven the Ignis yet. So yes, it has to be between the Grand i10, Tiago and the Ignis now. What I'm still fighting against is the enthusiast in me, which is quite frankly, not too happy with any of the above! But then have to be pragmatic and make a wise decision for my mother's sake.
Exactly! Since it's her car, let her test-drive and decide, which one she likes more. Maybe, you can highlight the advantages in each of them, and your personal opinion, but let her take the final call
Old 21st November 2017, 20:49   #397
BHPian

I would recommend Ignis petrol amt because all the ladies in my house drove one and they loved it-even first time drivers.Go for the highest variant you can buy. By the way I have booked Ignis amt petrol.
Old 21st November 2017, 20:52   #398
BHPian

Guy, I am confused between Baleno Alpha CVT, Jazz V CVT and Duster CVT. I would have picked Jazz if they would have provided magic seats etc aka Vx version. What do you suggest ?
Old 22nd November 2017, 03:51   #399
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_gt View Post
Guy, I am confused between Baleno Alpha CVT, Jazz V CVT and Duster CVT. I would have picked Jazz if they would have provided magic seats etc aka Vx version. What do you suggest ?
Baleno has slightly better low end response & is much better specced. The cvt whines, though and that is very irritating.

Jazz cvt is better than the manual to drive at low speeds. Very smooth.. But strictly for the city.

Check out the Ford ecosport dct - you might like it.

Duster - I don't have experience
sridhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2017, 13:51   #400
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
Jazz cvt is better than the manual to drive at low speeds. Very smooth.. But strictly for the city.
Check out the Ford ecosport dct - you might like it.
Ecosport DCT is out of my budget. I was also wondering about new version/facelift of Jazz/Baleno in 2018. Any updates folks ?
Old 22nd November 2017, 14:58   #401
BHPian

Quote:
Wow, is the discount on Duster CVT so high that its coming in the same price bracket as Baleno CVT?

You have three cars with quite different characteristics, and you need to prioritise between them.

With Baleno, you get Maruti so a fuss free ownership, great value for money, and a huge feature list.

With Jazz you get marginally lower feature list, but arguably a more proven CVT, paddle shifters and most likely a quick delivery.

With Duster, you get SUV, its looks, its ground clearance, but a comparatively sparse feature list. I don't know much about Duster's CVT, but Sunny CVT with same engine received good accolades for the gearbox.

Keep those factors in mind and decide what your priorities are. Personally, I would purchase the Baleno Alpha CVT
Old 22nd November 2017, 15:16   #402
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autorahul View Post
Wow, is the discount on Duster CVT so high that its coming in the same price bracket as Baleno CVT?
Wish it was but in fact a big NO . It would have been a no brainer to say the least. See I was more inclined towards Jazz as I keep on switching my driving style from sprited to sedate depending on my mood. But off late it has come to situation with Bangalore traffic that if I don't switch to Automatic car, I might blow my fuse with all kind of idiots and champions running amok on our roads. But as you all know Jazz V CVT is missing the Magic seats which I consider as a big plus, I am slightly hesistant in booking it. Baleno CVT is feature filled but concerns with build quality remains. More importantly waiting period and a big ZERO as a discount is also running in my mind.
I drove my friends Duster CVT over last weekend and was blown away by the suspension and the ride quality over normal broken roads ( back breakers ). That made me think why not Duster CVT ?. Budget can be stretched if I can convince myself. It's a fight between heart and mind. Ohh I forgot, mind has already taken a lead when I discarded GT TSI
Old 22nd November 2017, 20:20   #403
BHPian

Quote:
See I was more inclined towards Jazz as I keep on switching my driving style from sprited to sedate depending on my mood.
Unfortunately, if performance is what you desire, then Jazz may not be the best move from GT TSI. Jazz like Baleno can at best be described as sedate car.

Quote:
But as you all know Jazz V CVT is missing the Magic seats which I consider as a big plus, I am slightly hesistant in booking it.
Yes, Magic seat is a good feature, but I doubt most people would use it more than 5 times in an year. Jazz has generous space even without the magic seats. If you like the car, don't let this be a deal breaker.

Quote:
Baleno CVT is feature filled but concerns with build quality remains. More importantly waiting period and a big ZERO as a discount is also running in my mind.
You can't expect offers on a car which has waiting period longer than 3 months, no matter which brand. I doubt offers on Baleno/Dzire/Brezza are going to start any time soon. In any case, booking one now, might ensure you get one of the first 2018 manufactured cars, whcih is another financial benefit.

Quote:
I drove my friends Duster CVT over last weekend and was blown away by the suspension and the ride quality over normal broken roads ( back breakers ).
Yes, Duster does have one of the best suspension setups in its category. I just wish its interiors were better and more loaded. The Renault Captur shows what Duster's interiors could have been.

Quote:
Ecosport DCT is out of my budget.
Ecosport is not far from your budget. The Trend+ AT model is similarly loaded as the Jazz, and priced at 9.3 lakhs. and the extra ground clearance might be just what you liked in Duster.

Quote:
That made me think why not Duster CVT ?. Budget can be stretched if I can convince myself.
OK, this is my favourite part. Lets get the calculators out. Current prices of Baleno Alpha CVT is 8.3 lakhs ex-showroom, Jazz V CVT Privilege edition is 8.5 lakhs (with offers around 45k). Duster is 9.99 lakhs with some offers(?). Ecosport Trend+ AT is 9.3 lakhs falling in the middle. With that, crudely you reach below on road prices. This is an estimate only.

Baleno: 10 lakhs
Jazz: 10.3 lakhs-discount=9.9 lakhs
Ecosport: 11.3 lakhs
Duster: 12 lakhs

Assuming EMI over 5 years, thats a difference of 4-5k per month over the complete range. Now, you have to decide whether you want to spend the extra 4-5k every month for a bigger car.

If you decide for Jazz, I would recommend holding on to your chequebooks for 10 weeks till Auto Expo. Most likely the discounts will still be there. There are a few models which are expected which could enter your contention like i20 facelift and Nexon automatic.
autorahul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2017, 23:22   #404
BHPian

Quote:

The likes of Jazz/ Baleno/ Polo/ Brio etc are ruled out on budget.

Drove the Ignis AMT and Grand i10 Automatic. The Ignis left me pleasantly surprised with its performance in spite of being an AMT! It's peppy enough and jerkiness is something you can live with. But that aside, I still wasn't able to digest the car overall. It could be the quirkiness or the pricing.

I've always liked the fit and finish on the Grandi10. Nice car, but the transmission felt like a gearless scooter (That's what it is with a Torque Converter) But the drive felt very lifeless and way too boring.

Sat in the Tiago. Pathetic attitude from RF Motors in Cochin, felt like stepping into some local hardware shop! Will not go there again for sure, I believe Concorde is a lot better. And for some reason, I couldn't imagine myself buying a Tiago, it somehow felt cheap or cramped. I know this sounds strange with all the rave reviews around, but just my personal bit here.

So well, I'm left to drive the Micra and will drive the Grand i10 yet again. It has come down to Micra CVT vs the Grand i10 now. Let's keep after sales, resale etc away for now, which among the two is a better car? Now if I'm not too happy with Micra then I might just walk into Concorde and get a Nano AMT. At least, I'll be happy for the money I'm spending. Will convince mom on why Nano remains the best choice for her!

Yes, you definitely gotta be spending upwards of 8 lacs for a good Automaitc.

Last edited by RSM_TorqueZoner : 22nd November 2017 at 23:24.
Old 23rd November 2017, 10:09   #405
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autorahul View Post
If you decide for Jazz, I would recommend holding on to your chequebooks for 10 weeks till Auto Expo. Most likely the discounts will still be there
It seems like a reasonable option. If I could not squeeze Honda before year end to the maximum (no chance for Maruti & Renault), I will rather wait for Q1 next year.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks