Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2018, 15:50   #436
BHPian

Re: Which Automatic Hatch?

That is exactly what I was worried about in the TSI. Better to go for new car with some extended warranty, am I right?
Old 8th January 2018, 16:14   #437
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nair View Post
Hi bhp-ians,

Struggling to make up my mind between the following 2 options -
A brand new Ford Figo 1.5P Titanium AT or 2-yeard old Volkswagen Polo TSI.

Are there any common issues with the Polo TSI?

Looking forward to some advice.
Before putting money on Figo, wait for Auto Expo as Ford is expected to dole out updates, which would likely include removal of DSG gearbox, just like they have done for Ecosport. There is also new of i20 AT coming in at a better price. So there is definitely going to be some action in the price range you are looking at, and waiting a bit should not hurt much
autorahul is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th January 2018, 16:30   #438
BHPian

Guys,

Need some help with a small car - Needs to be automatic, and compact. The car is never going to do more than a 15 km Radius from the house and probably never going to see a highway (other than those within city limits).
I already have an old school Baleno (which I drive the most - to and from work), and a Land Cruiser (which does farm and out of city trips), so this needs to be compact, automatic, a breeze to park and fairly safe.

It's replacing an Automatic Santro, that has done 75000 over 15 years. There's nothing wrong with it as such, but as with all old cars - its been beaten, battered and starting to cost money to maintain. For now it needs a new axel, tie rod ends, ball joints, tyres, timing belt and a few other minor things. My biggest grouse with the car, is the lack of seat belts in the back - and now that i have a young child, it needs to take her car seat. She cannot be ferried everywhere in the LC.

At the moment I am inclined towards the Maruti Celerio.

Recommendations Please. Thanks.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 24th January 2018 at 09:36. Reason: spell
Old 8th January 2018, 17:14   #439
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir Taheer View Post
I already have an old skool Baleno (which I drive the most - to and from work), and a Land Cruiser (which does farm and out of city trips), so this needs to be compact, automatic, a breeze to park and fairly safe.
Quote:
Tiago ticks all the points you mentioned and looks better choice than Celerio.
tbppjpr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2018, 17:22   #440
BHPian

Quote:

so this needs to be compact, automatic, a breeze to park and fairly safe.
May be Nano XTA ? All the points in bold fits. Do check about the safety features.
archat68 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2018, 18:03   #441
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys,

Need some help with a small car - Needs to be automatic, and compact.
:
:

Tiago or Ignis petrol. AMT should ensure ease of driving, and both have full safety trims available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
May be Nano XTA ? All the points in bold fits. Do check about the safety features.
Nano may soon be sunset - I guess the OP is looking towards low usage & a long retention period.

Last edited by blackasta : 8th January 2018 at 18:04.
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2018, 00:08   #442
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Need some help with a small car - Needs to be automatic, and compact. The car is never going to do more than a 15 km Radius from the house and probably never going to see a highway (other than those within city limits).

As mentioned already, the Tiago is the best car in that space first car based on an all new platform by Tata in years and it really shows in how comprehensively good it is in the price bracket. Do check it out. If not look at a Honda Brio with the peppy torque convertor or Nissan Micra with its smooth CVT and easy to drive nature. Figo should also be a good fit.

Quote:
Don't you think a Nano would feel like too much of a downgrade from a Santro? I'm sure spending less than a third of the money for a new Nano on restoring their own Santro would seem better.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 9th January 2018 at 00:09.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2018, 09:16   #443
BHPian

Quote:
Nano was never an option. For the basic reason, that I was never a fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Tiago or Ignis petrol. AMT should ensure ease of driving, and both have full safety trims available.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
As mentioned already, the Tiago is the best car in that space first car based on an all new platform by Tata in years and it really shows in how comprehensively good it is in the price bracket. Do check it out.
Will check out the TATA Tiago this evening. The Santro needs to be retired. We were considering repairing it but that's not on the cards now. It has served its purpose as a great run around and errand car.

Thanks for the advice, all.
Old 9th January 2018, 10:55   #444
BHPian

Quote:
Nano was never an option. For the basic reason, that I was never a fan.
I was also like you .

But when I bought the Tiago, I was in the showroom and just out of curiosity I took a test drive of Nano AMT.

After that I think it is the perfect city car. The space, compactness, driving comfort in city and ease of parking can't be beaten by cars in same price range.
Old 15th January 2018, 13:50   #445
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
But when I bought the Tiago, I was in the showroom and just out of curiosity I took a test drive of Nano AMT.

After that I think it is the perfect city car. The space, compactness, driving comfort in city and ease of parking can't be beaten by cars in same price range.
What's the Tata service experience been like?

Looking to upgrade from our 12-year old Maruti Alto. So obviously almost any modern car will feel 'better'. Was planning to stick with Maruti and go for the new Swift, but not crazy about the expected waiting period and always keep reading about how bad Maruti cars score on the safety front.

Don't really care about the rear seating or boot space as 90% of the time the car will be single-person driven in the city. But we do take the occasional highway drive and would like a safe, solidly-built car. Has to be a hatchback as parking space at home is limited to a small car space. Service and quality is important as we intend to hang on to the car for at least the next 10 years.

Really like the looks of the new Tata small cars and the VWs, but not sure about the service experience with those 2 brands. Hyundai is out as everyone we know with a Hyundai has complained about quality and service costs. Honda Brio also out of consideration as rear glass design too quirky for our taste.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 24th January 2018 at 09:36. Reason: spacing
Old 15th January 2018, 14:35   #446
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post

Looking to upgrade from our 12-year old Maruti Alto. So obviously almost any modern car will feel 'better'. Was planning to stick with Maruti and go for the new Swift, but not crazy about the expected waiting period and always keep reading about how bad Maruti cars score on the safety front.

Don't really care about the rear seating or boot space as 90% of the time the car will be single-person driven in the city. But we do take the occasional highway drive and would like a safe, solidly-built car. Has to be a hatchback as parking space at home is limited to a small car space. Service and quality is important as we intend to hang on to the car for at least the next 10 years.

Really like the looks of the new Tata small cars and the VWs, but not sure about the service experience with those 2 brands. Hyundai is out as everyone we know with a Hyundai has complained about quality and service costs. Honda Brio also out of consideration as rear glass design too quirky for our taste.
Based on your requirements, TATA Tiago XZA fits to the T.

It is an easy to drive car with a solid build quality, decent set of safety equipment, and a good fuel efficiency to compliment.

I have a 1500 km run Tigor XZA and i am already getting around 14-15 kmpl in city traffic , the Tiago should do even better.

Regarding after sales and service, i cannot comment much because my ownerhsip period has been very less, but going by the general sentiment, TATA has indeed improved in this area.

For a peace of mind experience you can go with Gold AMC/P2P plan along with 4 years extended warranty package with the Tiago.
DCEite is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2018, 10:16   #447
BHPian

Quote:
Not at the level of Maruti. Needs a lot of improvement in this scenario. But I think they are trying. It also varies from dealer to dealer. You need to find a good one and generate a rapport with them. Complaints made to TML just gets forwarded to the ASS. There not much followup like Maruti. TML doesn't have much solid control over their dealers.

Last edited by archat68 : 16th January 2018 at 10:18.
Old 19th January 2018, 14:54   #448
BHPian

Quote:
Not at the level of Maruti. Needs a lot of improvement in this scenario..... There not much follow up like Maruti.
I would like to stay with Maruti as has been my experience in the past the Service has been good. Having said that I feel that the service guys cant do much other than replace the parts which in their opinion is faulty and send the details of parts replaced under warranty to the principals.

My wife has a 2016 September WagonR AMT which has transmission vibration in gears 3, 4 & 5 predominantly in the engine revolutions between 1800 to 2500 RPM.

The car had done roughly 4500 Km when the first warranty replacement was done by Mandovi Motors - parts replaced were Clutch Plate, Clutch Cover assembly, Flywheel etc. and the car was given back with the assurance that if any further complaint occurs it would be looked into.

At 8000 km when I complained again that the vibrations were once again appearing on flat roads and gentle gradients, as in the past, when gentle pressure for acceleration was applied to the pedal whether in 5th gear or in 4th gear as I felt that the engine was not able to deliver enough power to the clutch. This time I also addressed a copy to the manufacturing plant and a team from the plant did come down to Mandovi Bangalore and replaced the same items as was done earlier and chose not to respond to my request for a remap of the ECU / TCU so that the gear changes a litter later at slightly higher rpm's than prematurely allowing the engine to transmit vibrations.

The car was returned with an assurance that the Factory team would definitely look into the complaint and sort it out. I thereafter took the car to Hyderabad and back in December 2017. I regret to say that the Vibrations have resurfaced at the same 1800 RPM to 2500 RPM in gears 3,4 & 5. The down side is that the magnitude of the vibration is very much larger now.

I am seriously contemplating alternative manufacturers and alternative technologies for the choice of an automatic car, as I cannot afford to keep replacing clutches and flywheels every 5000 km.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 24th January 2018 at 09:36. Reason: spelling
Old 19th January 2018, 15:36   #449
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karadi View Post
I am seriously contemplating alternative manufacturers and alternative technologies for the choice of an automatic car, as I cannot afford to keep replacing clutches and flywheels every 5000 km.
It is an inherent problem with the AMT coupled with a 3-cylinder engine. Do you see the same problem even in the manual mode? I would suggest to use more of the manual mode. Although it beats the purpose of buying an automatic, but it surely would save frequent downtime due to clutch overhauls.

Another suggestion could be to get the problem rectified by a different/more competent MASS if possible.
Old 19th January 2018, 16:19   #450
BHPian

Quote:

I own a 2016 Zest Petrol. Bought it from KHT Motors, Domlur. Since you seem to be from Bangalore, hope my feedback helps you. So far I have been getting my car serviced at KHT Motors Service Center at Kundalahalli (near Akme Encore). So far, my service experience with them is good to very good. The car is also niggle free so far.

Based on my inputs and feedback, 2 colleagues checked out Tiago from the same dealer. One got it delivered 3 days back. The other one was very keen on the Tiago but instead bought Baleno (at that time Baleno was available from CSD and Tiago wasn't).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks