Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2018, 17:30   #556
Senior - BHPian
 
blackasta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: WB 26
Posts: 3,373
Thanked: 2,772 Times
Default Re: Which Automatic Hatch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by autorahul View Post
You can look at compact sedans. Since they are based on smaller hatchbacks, they are generally narrower, a complaint some have had.

Amaze would likely be a better buy than Jazz, and its much better priced. I would also assume the upcoming Aspire to be in similar category. The Xcent is another option, though it would be considered significantly below Amaze and Aspire.
Amaze - No AT in top trim

Xcent - Same. No AT in top trim

Aspire - The facelift is around the corner, but wonder when it is gonna be released. Not in the next month I guess.

I am planning to get the car in the next month.
Also, I would like to keep this car for long, thus the inclination towards top trim.
blackasta is offline  
Old 26th July 2018, 17:46   #557
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: BENGALURU
Posts: 7
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

Is there a reason to skip Ameo,

The car might be a sales dud, That could be because of not so friendly ASS but, be it features, ride, handling or engine specs, It comfortably beats the rest of the three compact sedans,

I am little confused on why is it not being a hit with those specs and features
Satyakart is offline  
Old 26th July 2018, 18:03   #558
Senior - BHPian
 
blackasta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: WB 26
Posts: 3,373
Thanked: 2,772 Times
Default Re: Which Automatic Hatch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satyakart View Post
Is there a reason to skip Ameo,

The car might be a sales dud, That could be because of not so friendly ASS but, be it features, ride, handling or engine specs, It comfortably beats the rest of the three compact sedans,

I am little confused on why is it not being a hit with those specs and features
No petrol AT in the Ameo lineup.
Plus there is no VW showroom / service center in the route between my home and office.
blackasta is offline  
Old 27th July 2018, 14:03   #559
Oxy
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 210
Thanked: 299 Times
Default Re: Which Automatic Hatch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanraheja View Post
If you do have occasional highway trips, i would request you to skip the Baleno .
Why do you say that if I may know? I recently did Bangalore - Salem - Coimbatore - Palakkad and back on my Baleno Alpha CVT and the experience wasn't bad.

I also drove to Coorg some 5 months back and that drive was pleasant too.

Last edited by Oxy : 27th July 2018 at 14:07.
Oxy is offline  
Old 27th July 2018, 14:27   #560
Senior - BHPian
 
rohan_iitr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,095
Thanked: 658 Times
Default Re: Which Automatic Hatch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
I am actually on the same boat.
9 year old i10 Asta AT, 94k done, and looking for a loaded premium AT hatch.
Have certain garage restrictions, so the new car absolutely cannot exceed 4 m lenth x 1.7 m width.
Only the Jazz is falling in the above criteria.
Wonder if I am missing to consider any other car.
Are you averse to AMTs ?

Dzire AGS comes fully loaded.

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline  
Old 27th July 2018, 16:23   #561
Senior - BHPian
 
blackasta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: WB 26
Posts: 3,373
Thanked: 2,772 Times
Default Re: Which Automatic Hatch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
Are you averse to AMTs ?

Dzire AGS comes fully loaded.

Rohan
Not too keen on compact sedans. Also, unsure about going the AMT way coming from using TC boxes for the last 10 years. Finally, Dzire is wider than 1700 mm.
blackasta is offline  
Old 28th July 2018, 00:44   #562
BHPian
 
redeye10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 40
Thanked: 41 Times
Default Re: Which Automatic Hatch?

Took the Baleno petrol cvt test drive today.
Overall cvt experience was fine, probably Amaze was better. But I am far too new in automatic car experience to notice much.
Ride quality though was not good. Occasional noises from frames didn't inspire confidence. Space and creature comfortwise its much ahead than new Amaze.
Mostly confused now.
redeye10 is offline  
Old 29th July 2018, 19:11   #563
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: KA03/UP80/DL7S
Posts: 235
Thanked: 209 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by redeye10 View Post
Took the Baleno petrol cvt test drive today.


Space and creature comfortwise its much ahead than new Amaze.
Mostly confused now.
Add more confusion , try new Jazz CVT. You will get more space and near abouts all creature comforts. The boot space is also more usable in my opinion.
adi_gt is offline  
Old 30th July 2018, 01:57   #564
BHPian
 
ToyotaFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Delhi
Posts: 437
Thanked: 418 Times
Default

Posting on behalf of my sister. She has an A star AT done 40,000 kms currently (2011 model) and is very happy with the car. Recently her running has increased to 50kms a day going to noida everyday for work. She is looking to shift to CNG considering the ever increasing fuel prices.

1. Are there any CNG AT cars available in the market at the moment?

2. Assuming there are none is it advisable to get CNG conversion done for the A star. Will the gearbox and 8 year old engine be able to handle the conversion. The car will purely be a city car with maximum on 2 people in the car as there would be another car for outstation trips hence that is not a concern.

3. If CNG conversion is recommended please recommend the best place in delhi for such a conversion.

4. If all else fails which diesel AT car can they look at. I checked and the swift VDI AMT was 7.3 L and the Brezza VDI AMT was 8.5 L. I somehow felt that the swift was overpriced in comparison. What other options do they have?

Thanks in advance.
ToyotaFan is offline  
Old 30th July 2018, 09:21   #565
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,413
Thanked: 2,600 Times
Default Re: Which Automatic Hatch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaFan View Post

2. Assuming there are none is it advisable to get CNG conversion done for the A star. Will the gearbox and 8 year old engine be able to handle the conversion. The car will purely be a city car with maximum on 2 people in the car as there would be another car for outstation trips hence that is not a concern.
I hope you have already done the math to assess if she will be able to recover the cost of the CNG kit with the better running cost within the years of keeping the car. And will there be substantial savings on top of recovering the cost to justify the conversion as there could be potential reliability issues as well.

Last edited by Guna : 30th July 2018 at 09:23.
Guna is offline  
Old 16th August 2018, 16:26   #566
Senior - BHPian
 
Epic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,503
Thanked: 658 Times
Default Re: Which Automatic Hatch?

So we are in the same predicament. We are on the look out for new cars for my mother-in-law (in her early 60s) and my aunt (in her mid 50s). They currently both drive a 05+ year old Hyundai i10 Manual Petrol. The boys in the family have checked out a couple of cars and shortlisted the VW Polo GT TSI and Hyundai i10 Grand. The ladies however are not keen on driving the same i10 in an automatic avatar. I guess they are bored on the car. But they liked the i10 in a way as ingress was comfortable and did not require too much of bending. My mother-in-law is also being treated for knee pain.

Being a VAG fan myself, I had also recommended the GT TSI but realised the low slung nature of the car which could be difficult for my mother-in-law. I then thought about the Honda Jazz. It is a hatch, comes in automatic and more spacious in the interiors.

Our requirements are:
- Hatchback only.
- Petrol only.
- Premium brand; no Maruti, Hyundai, Ford, etc.
- Must be an automatic.
- Seating should be a bit on the higher side for ease getting in and out of the car.
- Budget is 10 lakhs.

What do you guys recommend?

Last edited by Epic : 16th August 2018 at 16:29.
Epic is offline  
Old 16th August 2018, 16:31   #567
BHPian
 
RavSam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Somewhere in MH
Posts: 550
Thanked: 1,989 Times
Default Re: Which Automatic Hatch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
So we are in the same predicament....

What do you guys recommend?
Does Honda qualify as a premium brand? If yes then check out Jazz (as you said) for space and ease of use. I don't think that under 10 lakh you will find much of a choice given that you excluded Hyundai and Ford too. Nissan Micra is there too, but now it's quite old.

I guess Honda Jazz is the only hatchback option that is left for you.

Last edited by RavSam : 16th August 2018 at 16:38. Reason: Elaboration
RavSam is offline  
Old 16th August 2018, 16:36   #568
Distinguished - BHPian
 
drmohitg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 5,403
Thanked: 7,078 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
I then thought about the Honda Jazz.

Our requirements are:
- Hatchback only.
- Petrol only.
- Premium brand; no Maruti, Hyundai, Ford, etc.
- Must be an automatic.

What do you guys recommend?
I think you are already sold on to the Polo and shoukd go ahead with it. I say that because if you don't find Hyundai and Ford premium enough for your requirement then the Honda is going to be no different. And i dare not even suggest Tata. So that leaves you only with the VW Polo.
drmohitg is offline  
Old 16th August 2018, 16:56   #569
Senior - BHPian
 
Epic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,503
Thanked: 658 Times
Default Re: Which Automatic Hatch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavSam View Post
Does Honda qualify as a premium brand? If yes then check out Jazz (as you said) for space and ease of use.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
I think you are already sold on to the Polo and shoukd go ahead with it. I say that because if you don't find Hyundai and Ford premium enough for your requirement then the Honda is going to be no different. And i dare not even suggest Tata. So that leaves you only with the VW Polo.
So our garage are full of the Germans, so yes I personally do not find the Japs, Koreans & Americans premium. But that being said, the ladies are moving from a Hyundai i10 to something better. I may be sold on the Polo but ultimately it is them who have to drive the cars and I am not sure how comfortable they will be with the low stance of the Polo. As RavSam mentioned, the only reason I am considering the Jazz is for the space and possibly the higher stance.
Epic is offline  
Old 16th August 2018, 17:11   #570
Distinguished - BHPian
 
drmohitg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 5,403
Thanked: 7,078 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
I may be sold on the Polo but ultimately it is them who have to drive the cars and I am not sure how comfortable they will be with the low stance of the Polo. As RavSam mentioned, the only reason I am considering the Jazz is for the space and possibly the higher stance.
I doubt they will need that extra space and the jazz due to that space will feel a bigger vehicle to drive and park. If higher seating is the main criterion, I would suggest the Ignis. Best would be to let them check the vehicles and see what they find most comfortable. The polo definitely sits quite low for an elderly person.
drmohitg is offline  
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2021, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks