Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2022, 09:14   #796
BHPian

Re: Which Automatic Hatch?

Polo also had a TC one, probably launched in 2019 or 2020, again getting one will be difficult.

KK
Old 25th February 2023, 12:47   #797

I have zeroed on the Swift ZXI AT,as my daily driver, since i get pain in the left knee every time i press the clucth .The condition developed last month and i dont want to aggravate the same.
The ease of driving coupled with assured aftersales service ,and a niggle free product tilted the balance towards the Swift,the only negative aspect of the Swift being the build quality.I hope that i have made a good choice.
Old 5th March 2023, 20:02   #798

Dear All
I am looking to buy a Used Automatic Car for daily use within the city with occasional highway use, I need a good mileage with low maintenance and high reliability. I have a budget of less than 8L and would like having Apple Carplay and rear AC vents.

My weekly use will be around 100-150 km
Old 28th March 2023, 10:29   #799

Automatic Hatchback for occasional, city runs

Hi folks,

We have a car buying dilemma and are hoping to get some good feedback from the best. We are looking for a small city hatchback - which is easy to drive around, park and handle in Mumbai.

Must Haves
- Smooth automatic (which rules out most if not all AMTs)
- Easy maneuverability (hence hatchback)
- Top notch safety

Good to Haves
- Decent fuel efficiency (anything above 15 kmpl is fine, since running will be less than ~10k per year. Same reason why we are skipping EVs)
- Android Auto
- Reliability (this is a tertiary vehicle, hence we are okay with the occasional niggles)
- Some level of performance (mainly for overtaking in the city, this will certainly not be a highway cruiser. For context, this car is replacing the Honda Brio which we were very happy with)

Cars Considered
Tata Altroz DCA
We took a test drive and were impressed overall. Build quality and gearbox were clear wins. However, the only niggle at the back of our mind is the "questionable" reliability of Tatas. We have never owned one before (and are spoilt by Toyota and Honda) but we also know that Tata is on the upswing and absolutely love their new-age designs and philosophy.

Honda Jazz CVT
This was a strong consideration but since this car will soon be discontinued, not sure if worth pursuing anymore? Did not TD yet, but very familiar with the car. We also had a great experience with Honda previously.

Toyota Glanza
Did not TD yet. This is the default option since we are a Toyota family with multiple cars over the years. However, overall the car is very middling & a possible dealbreaker is the AMT. Not sure how smooth this will be?

Nissan Magnite CVT
Did not TD yet. Have read extensively about the gearbox which is a rare true AT in this segment. But Nissan does not inspire any confidence overall and the car seems a little on the bulkier side for our use case.

From the above - the Tata Altroz seems to be the best bet. But we are open to other options that we may not have thought of yet and also pre-owned vehicles.

Any help is appreciated!
Old 28th March 2023, 15:57   #800
BHPian

Re: Automatic Hatchback for occasional, city runs

Quote:
Originally Posted by adnankw View Post
Cars Considered
Tata Altroz DCA
We took a test drive and were impressed overall. Build quality and gearbox were clear wins. However, the only niggle at the back of our mind is the "questionable" reliability of Tatas. We have never owned one before (and are spoilt by Toyota and Honda) but we also know that Tata is on the upswing and absolutely love their new-age designs and philosophy.

Honda Jazz CVT
This was a strong consideration but since this car will soon be discontinued, not sure if worth pursuing anymore? Did not TD yet, but very familiar with the car. We also had a great experience with Honda previously.
Can relate to your dilemma. My 2 cents on the cars quoted above:

Tata Altroz DCA: I was seriously considering this, but Tata Motors did not arrange for any test drive vehicle for almost 2.5 months, not even NA variant, nor diesel variant. I gave up at that. Retrospectively, reading horror stories around TASS (Tata After Sales Service) here makes me feel lucky.

Honda Jazz CVT: I had the same dilemma (soon to be discontinued) but I bought it in September 2022. I would buy the same again till its last day of existence There are talks/speculations of Honda planning to discontinue that starting 1st April 2023. Considering you have already been a happy Honda customer, you may go ahead while it is still being sold.
jaysheth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2023, 17:22   #801
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adnankw View Post
Hi folks,

We have a car buying dilemma and are hoping to get some good feedback from the best. We are looking for a small city hatchback - which is easy to drive around, park and handle in Mumbai.

Must Haves
- Smooth automatic (which rules out most if not all AMTs)
- Easy maneuverability (hence hatchback)
- Top notch safety

Good to Haves
- Decent fuel efficiency (anything above 15 kmpl is fine, since running will be less than ~10k per year. Same reason why we are skipping EVs)
- Android Auto
- Reliability (this is a tertiary vehicle, hence we are okay with the occasional niggles)
- Some level of performance (mainly for overtaking in the city, this will certainly not be a highway cruiser. For context, this car is replacing the Honda Brio which we were very happy with)

Any help is appreciated!
The Hyundai i20 CVT or i20 DCT and the Renault Kiger CVT are also cars worth considering for the overall package they offer with good driving dynamics, and an adequate feature set.

From the options you have listed, the Altroz DCA seems to be a good choice, You would be better off with the Baleno than with the Glanza but I wouldn't suggest either owing to the AMT onboard these cars. I would prefer the Kiger CVT over the Magnite CVT due to the same issues mentioned by you.

However, the Honda Jazz CVT is a different car altogether, it's practical, safe, and offers bulletproof reliability as well, nothing in this segment comes close, sadly it is getting discontinued from April 2023, and I wouldn't like to get a car that's getting discontinued, so that is a factor which puts the Jazz out of favor. However, if you are alright with the same and can get a good deal on the car, it's certainly worth considering.
bijims is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th March 2023, 10:36   #802
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysheth View Post
Honda Jazz CVT: I had the same dilemma (soon to be discontinued) but I bought it in September 2022. I would buy the same again till its last day of existence There are talks/speculations of Honda planning to discontinue that starting 1st April 2023. Considering you have already been a happy Honda customer, you may go ahead while it is still being sold.
A quick update: I asked my dealer (Crystal Honda, Bavdhan, Pune) if Honda is discontinuing the Jazz starting April, to which he said the stock is not available in Pune. Upon inquiring further (he said), even outside Pune, only 1 Jazz is available, that too MT (no CVT available).
jaysheth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2023, 16:38   #803
BHPian

We are looking for automatic hatchback, which will driven strictly within Mumbai city limits by my wife for her office commute (20 km one way).

Only requirement is automatic petrol with preference to low NVH engines . Hence we have shortlisted primarily 4 pot engines.

As Outstation duties will be fulfilled by our Hyryder strong hybrid , our budget is kept at 8 lacs to 9 lacs OTR.

Requesting the forum for the suggestion. My shortlisted cars are :

Maruti Suzuki WagonR Zxi 1.2 AMT with OTR 8.05

Maruti Suzuki Ignis Delta 1.2 AMT with OTR 8.14

Hyundai Grand i10 nios Magna 1.2 AMT Kappa with OTR 8.57

Tata Punch Adventure AMT with OTR 8.79 ( only 3 cylinder engine in the list)

Maruti Suzuki Swift Vxi AMT OTR 8.82

There is also one option which is outside this budget.

Maruti Suzuki Baleno Delta AMT OTR 9.22.

Suggestions welcome!

Last edited by baarish84 : 12th April 2023 at 16:43.
baarish84 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2023, 13:23   #804
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by baarish84 View Post
We are looking for automatic hatchback, which will driven strictly within Mumbai city limits by my wife for her office commute (20 km one way).

Only requirement is automatic petrol with preference to low NVH engines . Hence we have shortlisted primarily 4 pot engines.

As Outstation duties will be fulfilled by our Hyryder strong hybrid , our budget is kept at 8 lacs to 9 lacs OTR.

Suggestions welcome!
Considering the fact that you do have a Hyryder Hybrid for long trips, why not go slightly over budget (9.2 lakhs OTR) and get yourself a Tata Tiago EV XE Medium range, best for city travel with the silence of an EV, no petrol car can beat that!

However, if you aren't ready to get on the EV Bandwagon, then the best option would definitely be the Baleno Delta AMT followed by the i10 Magna AMT, as far as NVH goes, Hyundai i10 Nios would be the best option in your budget.

If safety is of utmost importance and a 3-cylinder engine is a compromise you are willing to take, the Punch AMT is definitely a good buy.

Last edited by bijims : 13th April 2023 at 13:25.
bijims is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th April 2023, 16:20   #805
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bijims View Post
If safety is of utmost importance and a 3-cylinder engine is a compromise you are willing to take, the Punch AMT is definitely a good buy.
Thanks for the suggestions. Not considering EV as I don't have a dedicated covered parking.

I am inclined to shortlist Baleno variant and Punch variant stated above. Difference between two is only 40K.

When we took test drive, Punch sounded more harsher. Although Punch seems to have higher safety rating .

i recall reading maruti has worked on safety of current Baleno as well (side impact bar, better steel resulting in higher weight etc). Baleno felt smooth to drive.

Seems maruti amt is slightly better than Tata 's.
Old 16th April 2023, 07:40   #806

Quote:
Originally Posted by baarish84 View Post

Suggestions welcome!
Considering the fact that it will be driven only within Mumbai by a lady driver and your preference for low a low NVH , Ignis seems to be the best choice. Is the Zeta variant out of budget ? It come with a touchscreen and rear wiper and defogger - which might be especially useful in the Mumbai rains.

If you are willing to consider pre-owned cars, you should have plenty of Honda Jazz options in very good condition available within your budget.
colcol is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2023, 00:49   #807
BHPian

Looking for an automatic hatchback under 10L , daily running would be around 30 km with 80 percentage of city and 20 percentage of highway, which one would be a better option between i20 sportz cvt and baleno zeta amt
Old 8th May 2023, 01:15   #808
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani21 View Post
Looking for an automatic hatchback under 10L , daily running would be around 30 km with 80 percentage of city and 20 percentage of highway, which one would be a better option between i20 sportz cvt and baleno zeta amt
Neither. Between the clunky AMT and lousy build of the Baleno, and the lazy CVT on the Baleno, you’ll be better served by the Altroz DCA. This car remains the automatic of choice for city use on a limited budget. At the same time, please consider the Tiago EV as well.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2023, 08:18   #809
BHPian

Tiago EV if you have a dedicated parking place with a charging point.
Old 17th May 2023, 11:13   #810
BHPian

Was in the market for an automatic hatchback/compact suv for city usage and infrequent highway runs. Cars considered:

Tata punch :
Pros :
  • 5 star safety rating
  • good ground clearance
  • decent boot
Cons :
  • AMT was not smooth at all and too jerky for my liking
  • No driver armrest
  • No rear AC vents
Discarded as the cons were outweighing the pros in my opinion.

Hyundai I20 n-line :
Pros :
  • Punchy engine with enough grunt to put a smile when pushed hard
  • Plenty of features : good music system, sunroof, great infotainment system
Cons :
  • The brakes on the test drive car were not upto the mark and didn't inspire confidence.
  • Build quality seemed flimsy especially compared to the products from Tata.
Tata nexon :
Pros :
  • 5 star safety
  • good ground clearance
  • decent features
Cons :
  • jerky AMT
  • Ingress/egress was a bit compromised in the rear seats due to narrow opening at the lower ends of the gate.
  • Interior storage space was below par, none of the door bins could hold a 1 litre water bottle.
Kia Sonet/Hyundai Venue 1 litre DCT :
considered but discarded quickly after a short test drive as the safety ratings took more importance. Also, the waiting periods were huge and I was not willing to wait that long. The salesmen's non-enthusiastic approach did not help either.

After all these test drives I was a bit worried as none of the vehicles were fitting my bill. I noted down what mattered to me the most and 2 things stood out, safety and a good transmission. And voila, suddenly I found the answer to my questions. It was always in front of me but I missed it due to its more popular peers. Behold the tata altroz DCA.

Pros :
  • 5 star safety
  • Proper automatic(DCA)
  • good ingress/egress due to the wide opening doors
  • All the features that you need.
Cons :
  • Not as fun to drive as the turbo engines in its peers(i20, altroz i-turbo manual)
  • Ground clearance is okayish. Though shouldn't be a problem in its use case.
I was informed by the SA that altroz is also getting a feature rejig and will get dearer by ~50K(no official word on the price increase). New features were primarily sunroof and an air purifier. I didn't want those anyways. So booked the car without the feature refresh.
I gave up on the fun to drive cars for a car which was safer and had a smooth AT. Have a german sedan at home to take care of the fun part.

Booked the tata altroz XZA+ DCA in opera blue. Delivery expected in the next 3-4 weeks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks