Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2014, 19:58   #121
BHPian

Re: Which Automatic Hatch.

I would recommend against buying new models such as Nano CVT or Maruti Alto AT. It is best to buy a proven model that has undergone refinements. Any model that is >= 3 years is probably the best. New models that have only cosmetic changes or feature additions (such as ABS, Airbag, Rear wipers) are ok.
Old 27th January 2014, 08:13   #122
Team-BHP Support

I would say it would be worth while to wait for the Celerio AMT announcements. I see advts about tall claims on FE.
Old 15th February 2014, 22:52   #123
BHPian

Checked the Maruti website for Celerio. I just dont understand the marketing. Zxi Versions dont have auto gear & Lxi/Vxi have auto gear.
Old 16th February 2014, 08:04   #124
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearedup View Post
Checked the Maruti website for Celerio. I just dont understand the marketing. Zxi Versions dont have auto gear & Lxi/Vxi have auto gear.
Probably because their target is to convert people coming in for a manual to the AMT and not people who have already decided to buy an AT. Most sales probably happen in the lxi vxi trims. Hence they are providing AMT only on these variants.
Old 16th February 2014, 11:58   #125
BHPian

Planning to buy "Maruti Celerio" ; Please advise

Before starting with a request I would like to share a brief background.

The Managing Director of my company with whom I have been associated for 15 years has approached me for an opinion and final decision about buying an automatic hatch for his parents. He is aware of my interests for automobiles and has always listened to my advise before making any kind of buying decision. In almost all cases, except for a mahindra XUV he has bought all cars as per my advise. I had recommended him a Toyota Fortuner but he bought a Mahindra XUV which he regrets buying today. My advise is primarily based on the feedbacks and learnings from this forum. In fact, my own cars have been bought on the basis of the reviews from this forum.

The current fleet of my MD has a Merc E-class, S-class, XUV 500, Toyota Altis A/T, Honda CRV and Swift ZXi.

My Managing Director is well aware of this forum and has supported me with my interest. He takes sometime out of his busy schedule to sit with me and find out what's new on this forum. He has expressed his displeasure many a times for my registering so late on this forum knowing very well that I have been following this forum since 2008. He knows for sure that the forum not only talks about values but live them as well. He will be following this thread.

Now, he has approached me with a request to give an opinion on the new launch of Celerio automatic. He wishes to buy a small car for his elderly parents who would be using this for small distances in Delhi and the driving would be restricted to not more than 200 kms a month.

Since, this automatic transmission is something new, we are yet to see a complete, threadbare and comprehensive review on this forum moreover, I am not an expert on such technicality, I would request fellow BHPians to help me in shaping my opinion and finally arriving at a decision.

Like always the booking, purchase and delivery will be my responsibility. The car will be bought cash down and price is absolutely no constraint for him. I have to give him a decision and he will hand me over a demand draft to do the rest.

I had suggested him an automatic i10, but he wanted an opinion on Celerio as well.

I would therefore request for the opinion of experts.

Last edited by mints21 : 16th February 2014 at 12:05.
mints21 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th February 2014, 12:29   #126
BHPian

Re: Planning to buy "Maruti Celerio" ; Please advise

Hello mints21,
Since this car is primarily being used by his elderly parents, an absolute no nonsense car is what is needed. In my opinion I d suggest you go for the Maruti just to be on the safer side. However Celerio being a new entrant into the market there is absolutely no info about how the vehicle is overall. Reliability wise we all know there is practically nothing that can go wrong with a Maruti. Again i suggest you take a detailed test drive along with his parents so they get a feel of the car. Going by the reports this auto shift is touted as the best in class transmission with class leading mileage. But the lack of safety features is a big problem though. Since this is going to be a city car may be wont be an issue. Would be a good option nonetheless.
Old 16th February 2014, 12:59   #127
Senior - BHPian

In case "Comfort" for the old couple is a criteria, i20 is the logical choice. The suspension is tuned for city driving, smoothing out all bumps. The vehicle gives one the flexibility to self drive in comfort with ample safety features and on the flip side to be driven while sitting in the rear with ample leg room so that the elderly do not have to contort as they would have to in other automatic hatchbacks save for the A & B class displaying the 3 pointed star on their grills.

Last edited by khoj : 16th February 2014 at 13:00.
khoj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th February 2014, 14:31   #128
Senior - BHPian

As an owner of the i20 AT, I'd say it's a good choice but perhaps not necessarily the best choice since it is quite expensive for what it offers. IMO, the AT you recommend should be reasonably spacious and safe as well, besides being hassle-free. The Celerio AMT is a good choice, but I'd suggest looking closely at the Grand i10 AT as well. It's got more features, better safety and is more spacious. It's a great value proposition and the only thing the Celerio has going for it versus the Grand i10 is fuel economy and a lower sticker, but more critically it comes without many safety features.

Check both for ease of ingress/egress as well and take a call, because for that much running per month fuel efficiency is not a factor at all if you ask me.
iliketurtles is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th February 2014, 15:58   #129
Senior - BHPian

Hi iliketurtles, I am in the same boat as mints21's boss, being in the process of finding a suitable replacement for our in city car the Swift zxi. The new vehicle will be used exclusively for fighting the stop go traffic within the NCR (hence the auto box). At times one can be stuck in a commute for a couple of hours and that is where room to stretch legs on the rear seat becomes important.

Having test driven most automatic hatchbacks available in the market (i10, i20, Ritz, Polo & Brio) I found the rear seat ride of most cars bumpy and jarring at times. Infact I went to the extent of getting the tire pressure checked and corrected during the TD itself. The i20's rear seat ride came across as the most mature of the lot as did the rear legroom, though the seat back incline in the Polo seemed more comfortable but the rear leg room was well cramped when compared to not just the i20 but also my existing Swift (am I being biased) My post above was based on my TD experiences.

No my query to you is, as to what are the cons of the i20 which I may not have noticed during the test drives. Your specific inputs as a long term owner/user would be of value in helping arrive at an informed decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
As an owner of the i20 AT, I'd say it's a good choice but perhaps not necessarily the best choice since it is quite expensive for what it offers. IMO, the AT you recommend should be reasonably spacious and safe as well, besides being hassle-free.

Last edited by khoj : 16th February 2014 at 15:59.
Old 16th February 2014, 16:26   #130
Distinguished - BHPian

IMHO in a car for elderly parents safety features should be a top priority. Considering that the best choice would be the Honda Brio. Good 5 speed AT box. Easy to drive, compact yet reasonably spacious inside, 2 airbags, ABS etc... If I am not mistaken the grand i10 does not have an AT variant with airbags and abs. The i20 does not come with passenger airbag. In any case i20 and polo may be bit to o much for the said requirement. Since money is not a constraint , I would not recommend the celerio since the AMT versions do not come with safety features and the car itself felt not very solidly built.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2014, 16:33   #131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Having test driven most automatic hatchbacks available in the market (i10, i20, Ritz, Polo & Brio) I found the rear seat ride of most cars bumpy and jarring at times. Infact I went to the extent of getting the tire pressure checked and corrected during the TD itself. The i20's rear seat ride came across as the most mature of the lot as did the rear legroom, though the seat back incline in the Polo seemed more comfortable but the rear leg room was well cramped when compared to not just the i20 but also my existing Swift (am I being biased) My post above was based on my TD experiences.

No my query to you is, as to what are the cons of the i20 which I may not have noticed during the test drives. Your specific inputs as a long term owner/user would be of value in helping arrive at an informed decision.
Hiya! You're absolutely right in saying the rear ride of most of these cars are quite bumpy. I haven't sat a whole lot in the rear of the i20, but I would go so far as to say of all those cars the i20u is perhaps the pick of the lot in terms of interior space. A Honda Jazz AT would have been perfect for your needs, but no point speculating!

Specifically to the i20, my issues with it from a long term ownership perspective are as follows.

-The AT box is uninspiring to drive and overtaking can be a pain if you don't know how to work the box
-Fuel efficiency is average to poor, with only the i10 AT (much) worse in this regard. However, I was of late consistently averaging 9.3 kmpl over the last two months, calculated tankful to tankful always
-The price. Might not make sense for everyone, was fine by me at the time, but if the Polo TSI was available at the time, it would have been a strong contender
-Part of the seat adjustment lever came loose some time back, part of the exterior driver's side door handle came loose just a month or so ago. Build quality is not the best, and the car has been handled with care and given only to the A.S.S. It's done just 12,000 KMS in some 3 years.
-Absence of any form of manual control (tiptronic, paddle shifters) is missed
-It's got about 100 HP, give or take, but it doesn't feel so when you're driving it. It feels...adequate.
-Maybe the later i20's did better, but mine is very floaty at highway like speeds. Handling was never its forte.
-Be aware that owning a Hyundai is not cheap. Last service was Rs. 6000, which is more than what I was spending on a City that had run more than thrice as much!

Here's what I like about it

-The brakes have a good amount of bite
-It is feature packed, no question about it
-It is reasonably spacious at the back. Can chuck a bag or two in the boot too for airport runs
-It is a reasonably safe car in terms of safety features offered and I'm glad it has ABS. Don't go for a car not equipped with ABS, please.
-Easy to drive, although the Polo's DSG beats it on pure drivability and fun
-It is a reliable car. Barring servicing, it has never needed to visit a garage.

I'm lazy and it's a Sunday afternoon, so I'm off. But do let me know if there's anything else you'd like to know that I may have skipped over and I'd be glad to answer.
iliketurtles is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th February 2014, 17:12   #132
BANNED

Since your MD is looking for a car for his elderly parents ingress and egress is a major concern and short hatchbacks are not preferred here. So Brio would be difficult for them, Celerio is a new kid on the block with absolutely no idea how it will fare in the long run but it is a Maruti so not much to worry but still. Why risk the whole thing.

Why not look at SX4 AT or Ritz AT?! Both are tall and decently powerful for the city runabouts.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2014, 18:39   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Why not look at SX4 AT
Thanks a4anurag, but he is looking for a hatch back and not considering sedan.

Quote:
Easy to drive, although the Polo's DSG beats it on pure drivability and fun
Iliketurtles Buying a car equipped with a DSG gear box can prove to be a gamble and I would not advise him on this. Hyundai i20 A/T can be considered and I will surely discuss this option with him.

Quote:
I would not recommend the celerio since the AMT versions do not come with safety features and the car itself felt not very solidly built.
Rajeevraj, this suggestion will be shared with him.

Quote:
In case "Comfort" for the old couple is a criteria, i20 is the logical choice.
Thanks Khoj, I will pass on your suggestion.
Old 16th February 2014, 18:49   #134
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mints21 View Post
I had suggested him an automatic i10, but he wanted an opinion on Celerio as well.
Instead of i10 you should look at Grand i10 AT. For the simple reason, the bumpy ride of i10 has been sorted out to a large extent with the Grand i10.
AND its cheaper than i20 AT.

The other good option is Micra CVT. But its subject to dealer networks. And the current ongoing fight between Nissan and Hoover, may be its a good idea to stay away.

If they are not looking for any major space, then Brio AT is a good choice too.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2014, 18:57   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Instead of i10 you should look at Grand i10 AT.
Infact, I meant the new Grand i10 only. The old i10 is no longer available in A/T variant. I am currently having a sports variant of the second generation i10 and I am quite happy with the car.

You are right in saying that the bumpy ride has been sorted out in Grand i10.

Thanks a ton ampere for your suggestion.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks