Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2014, 19:50   #211
BHPian

Re: Which Automatic Hatch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shobhit.shri View Post
In my case, the major issue with Brio is its price and appearance.
I had the same dilemma when looking for an AT hatchback. Finally it came down to Brio and Micra out of which I liked the Micra's balanced appearance over Brio's. Again, since it's the appearance factor, it's totally upto you. It's a pure personal choice coz as others have mentioned above, take any car and some like the looks, some don't. This cant be suggested by others.

I think it's the facelift of Micra that helped me digest Micra's appearance. Brio should come up with a facelift for the rear end I guess... mmm maybe a buttlift?!

Last edited by ajaypjayaraj : 15th October 2014 at 19:52.
ajaypjayaraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2014, 10:59   #212
BANNED

One point, Micra is a three potter. Maybe with so many turbo 3-potters coming in I will have to give up my bias.
Old 16th October 2014, 13:52   #213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shobhit.shri View Post
In my case, the major issue with Brio is its price and appearance.

I am looking for a car for my wife and because we already own a comfortable sedan, Skoda Rapid, power and performance are not my priorities. My priorities are safety, ease of driving and the total cost of ownership. This car will mostly be used for a relatively small drive of office to home and would rarely, if ever, see the highway. I would have been totally happy with a 1.1L i10 or 1.0L celerio, only if they had a proper safety kit. My wife is absolutely enamored with new grand i10's looks so that is there too .
I was also under the same dilemma a few months back. My shortlist included the Brio and Grand i10, but i was leaning more towards the brio with the same apprehension about its looks and the ridiculously small boot. But, I was convincing my self that all i need is a city runabout with mostly 1-2 people on board and no luggage, so it should fit the bill. Grand was a hit and a miss because of no airbags being offered in any version. Otherwise it is a thoroughly convincing package overall. I briefly considered buying the Xcent too because of the airbags, but dropped it.
Regarding the looks, they do grow on you after a while. And with Brio being a Honda, reliability and after sales should be a given. So overall, it should be a pleasure to own. and another big factor which made me (read wife) lean over to Brio was that it came in a proper bright red colour rather than the wine red in Grand.
lalittalwar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2015, 16:40   #214
BHPian

Need guidance. I am looking to buy my younger sister an automatic car.

At one point in time (2 years ago), she indicated a liking for i10. Very recently when one of her friends was about to buy a new car, she had suggested i10. Therefore, I am leaning towards the i10.

After that, i.e., about 2 years ago, I suggested to her to learn driving from one of the local driving schools. She eventually did that few months back. No, I stand corrected. It was actually about 1 year back. And, somewhere, she was hopeful that elder Bhai will soon get her the car. I delayed. No reasons. It has reached a stage where I dread having a conversation with her doing a refresher in car driving before we go and get a car. I am not proud of what I have done here.

I have debated within self whether to go for a used one for her to get a grip over driving or simply buying a new vehicle.

Because of the self-procrastination, I have decided it’s going to be a new car. You can say – getting over the guilt.

But before I do that, I wanted to get thoughts from the team here – between i10 and Brio Automatic. Or, if the team feels there are other options.

I am not in a rush to buy the car immediately but would like to close a long pending item over next month or so. And, bury the guilt I am carrying.

So, here I am. I am not a technical person as these matters go. Let me know what you feel between an i10 and a Brio automatic.

Though there is noticeable price difference between the automatic variants of the two manufacturers – I will go with whatever is best. Needless to say – safety parameters are paramount. I will also take my sister for a drive and feel before we book the car.

Since it will be driven by my sister who stays in Bhubaneswar, good service set up/back up will also be an important factor.

The car, otherwise, will not be driven much as my sister has taken a break from work. If she resumes work, maximum daily run will be either 3-5 kilometres or 10-15 kilometres. Otherwise it will be primarily driven on weekends - 20-30 kilometres.

Thanks in advance.

ps: also looking for practical insight after someone brought a car and change in view thereafter? I doubt, but I will be most grateful if team shares experience after having brought the car

Note for mods: point noted. Make some efforts to look for an existing thread!

Last edited by Traveller Nayak : 17th February 2015 at 16:50. Reason: added 'ps'
Old 17th February 2015, 16:53   #215
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveller Nayak View Post
ps: also looking for practical insight after someone brought a car and change in view thereafter? I doubt, but I will be most grateful if team shares experience after having brought the car
In my view, if ABS/Airbags part is taken out of equation, Grandi10 is ideal. If you need it then Nissan Micra. I understand it would be mainly for city driving. Some how I am leaning away from Brio.

Also I do understand, every one wants safety features. You need to decide accordingly. We have one i10 Gen 1 Kappa based AT Sportz (No safety kit) for the last 6 years. Its does not do heavy duty work. But for all the small errands, its the goto car.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2015, 16:55   #216
Distinguished - BHPian

I would suggest you the Brio or the Micra AT since these are the cheapest hatchbacks that come with AT + safety features. The i10 AT does not come with safety features and hence I would not recommend it. Also the Hyundai box is very very lethargic and uninvolving.

Having said that, since your running is so low, why not buy a used AT car? Also since your sister is a new driver, the chances of small dings and dangs happening are more and it will cost less or rather pinch less in a used car rather than a new one.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2015, 17:02   #217
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Need guidance. I am looking to buy my younger sister an automatic car.......
Considering all points you mention, it makes a lot of sense to get a pre-owned car for the time being, then possibly upgrade in a year or two once she's a confident driver and used to city traffic.

Newbie driver and new car will only lead to heartache when the inevitable dings and bumps from the learning phase happen. Best to get over that with a beater car. You won't lose much on resale value either as it would've already depreciated considerably.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2015, 19:24   #218
BANNED

Quote:
So, here I am. I am not a technical person as these matters go. Let me know what you feel between an i10 and a Brio automatic.
My take is is Micra AT.

I am not sure how good the ASC is in your city. If it is not worth going due to poor Nissan ASC standards, then it comes to Honda second and the Hyundai third.

My order of preference:

1) Nissan Micra
2) Honda Brio
3) Hyundai Grand i10.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2015, 20:14   #219
BHPian

Quote:

I have debated within self whether to go for a used one for her to get a grip over driving or simply buying a new vehicle.

Because of the self-procrastination, I have decided it’s going to be a new car. You can say – getting over the guilt.

But before I do that, I wanted to get thoughts from the team here – between i10 and Brio Automatic. Or, if the team feels there are other options.

The car, otherwise, will not be driven much as my sister has taken a break from work. If she resumes work, maximum daily run will be either 3-5 kilometres or 10-15 kilometres. Otherwise it will be primarily driven on weekends - 20-30 kilometres.

Note for mods: thread!
Considering your requirements I would recommend Brio AT, if its got be a new hatch.

In my opinion guilt should not affect financial decisions, hence second hand car could be an option. Since running distance is quite low millage may not be a constraint. Hence consider looking for cars such as Civic or Brio etc.

Since daily run is quite low why not look at some non AT hatch also, from posts on this forum maintenance of CVT is a bit cumbersome. I would recommend doing a cost benefit analysis before spending that extra amount on AT.
Old 16th March 2015, 21:24   #220
BHPian

Wife is adamant in buying a AT hatchback. Bit of market research, and in my opinion the Celerio AT VXI fits the requirements. Presently it costs approx 5.5 lakhs on road here in Goa. No discounts are being offered. The waiting period is one month.

Only sore point is lack of safety features, but the price is unbeatable. I guess no other AT model offers so much value for money.

If anyone has any other ideas, I am all ears.
Old 16th March 2015, 22:20   #221
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_myth View Post
Wife is adamant in buying a AT hatchback. Bit of market research, and in my opinion the Celerio AT VXI fits the requirements. Presently it costs approx 5.5 lakhs on road here in Goa. No discounts are being offered. The waiting period is one month.

Only sore point is lack of safety features, but the price is unbeatable. I guess no other AT model offers so much value for money.

If it is just for a city run about, then may as well look at the Alto K10 AMT over the Celerio AMT. It is cheaper and does not lose out on much compared to the Celerio apart from space which will anyway not be a major criteria.

Just read in the Nano AMT thread that the launch is expected to be in April. That will be even cheaper than the Alto K10 AMT.

My personal opinion. Since the lack of safety features is a sore point for you, do not compromise on that. Extend your budget a little and look at the Micra or the Brio. Much better cars with safety features, better interiors and features and on top of all that-Proper AT and not AMT. Alternatively check if you can find a pre-owned Micra/Brio. Will fit comfortably in your budget.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2015, 01:15   #222
BHPian

Quote:

I will suggest to go for Brio AT if budget permits. I would have also suggested to look at Grand i10 AT but it lacks safety features. Ignore Micra for poor resale and A.S.S. Alternatively, Better consider Tata Zest AMT compact sedan than Celerio or Alto.
Old 22nd March 2015, 17:47   #223
D4D
BHPian

Quote:
Presently it costs approx 5.5 lakhs on road here in Goa.
Only sore point is lack of safety features, but the price is unbeatable
Rumours indicate the Celerio ZXi AMT is going to come out soon.

If you want D+P airbags and ABS, Micra and Brio are the only choices. Also check the Grand i10 AT.

Please note that Brio/ Micra/ Gi10 won't be as fuel efficient as the Celerio. If you're open to buying used cars, try i20 AT/ A-star AT.
Old 6th April 2015, 16:47   #224
BHPian

Quote:
Need guidance. I am looking to buy my younger sister an automatic car.
I own a Brio AT and can give my POV on that. Only other AT I test drove was the i10 AT but I found it to be really sluggish and also I had read that it had worse FE than Brio

Really happy with Brio due to its extremely easy handling and really good pickup. Due to its low stance it also very good on highway and I have taken several long trips in it.

It is great for city and also can be used for longer drives.
Old 13th April 2015, 01:54   #225
BHPian

Need suggestion : Alto K10 AMT or Celerio AMT or others

Hi folks, I need your suggestion on what AMT hatch to buy. Was looking at Alto K10 AMT & Celerio AMT. The car will only be for city use. And only when I am in India for 3 months of the year will it be used. Rest of the time < I would ask my driver to just start it and a brief drive so as to not it just sit.

I am completely used to automatic driving and haven't driven a manual in 20 years and back then the traffic was much better. So, I decided to buy an AMT.

For me the most important issues are ::

1.Reliability
2. A.S.S - easy availability of parts and competent & honest dealer services. I am from Hyderabad - and based on these forums - Maruti looks to be the best in ASS .Honda- seems to be good also, not sure though.
3. Maximum Rs.6 lakh budget
4. Am OK +/- safety features- as I will only drive it in city traffic with a max of 40kph speed I guess.

Honda Brio has AMT but it's on road total price comes close to Rs.8 lakh. And, Alto K10 AMT seems to be more refined than Celerio - atleast that's the consensus here. That's why I was inclined for the Alto K10 AMT . If Honda was more affordable - would certainly buy Honda. But dont know about Honda's India ASS in general though.

So, what are my options ? And what do you folks suggest ? Thanks !

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks