Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2015, 18:52   #286
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Which Automatic Hatch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
You cannot expect an AMT to have the same smooth shifts as a torque-converter based AT (Brio, Grand i10, City etc), or the smooth power delivery of a CVT (Micra-CVT, for example), as there's only so much a robot that costs 20-30k and sitting on top of the gearbox can do (yea, that's the simplest way to talk about the AMT unit complete with the ECU & actuators), with a standard fare manual gearbox and single clutch. However, a mango-man/woman looking to buy an "automatic" would compare the similar options that you mentioned, since all of them come without the "problematic" clutch pedal. Then it boils down to the pricing and FE - if you want a smooth shift but willing to forego a little FE and pay a higher price, pick the standard AT; if you don't want to spend more and are looking for a way out of the clutches (pun intended), pick an AMT.
Agree!
What I was explaining to @grajaa based on my test drive experience was that the AMTs - Alto K10, Celerio, Nano, Bolt cannot be compared with the likes of Brio, Micra, Grand i10 since the transmissions are different
Hence, there are bound to be differences in drive quality and comfort. So, in my opinion just approach it from the perspective of what you "really" need (Airbags, ABS, etc) and how much you're ready to plonk down. Especially when it's a second car, there may be room for some compromises/sacrifices and the price point can influence the decision heavily!

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
Never knew there was an AMT available for the ZXi trim. But the VXi AMT has/had a 3-4 months waiting period while the ZXi & ZXi(O) variants with MT were available in a couple of weeks.
Celerio Zxi AMT was launched today to coincide/commemorate the first anniversary since Celerio was launched - Details here

*Oh one more thing - according to the Maruti sales folks the loyalty/exchange bonus is only available on Celerio MTs not the AMTs

Last edited by NPV : 11th May 2015 at 18:55.
Old 11th May 2015, 19:01   #287
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Stretching the budget is not an issue. I am looking if the extra budget is worth spending
If you can stretch your budget, consider VW GT TSI.
Grand Drive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2015, 19:16   #288
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
What I was explaining to @grajaa based on my test drive experience was that the AMTs - Alto K10, Celerio, Nano, Bolt cannot be compared with the likes of Brio, Micra, Grand i10 since the transmissions are different
Is there an AMT option with Bolt now? Don't remember it being launched with one.
Old 11th May 2015, 19:26   #289
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Is there an AMT option with Bolt now? Don't remember it being launched with one.
NPV would have meant Zest.

Edit : NPV meant the Bolt Diesel AMT hoping to get it launched in the near future.

Last edited by Grand Drive : 11th May 2015 at 19:29.
Grand Drive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2015, 19:26   #290
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Drive View Post
If you can stretch your budget, consider VW GT TSI.
For the kind of use I am expecting for the car, it will be a gross under-utilization of the TSI. I will have to transfer at least 30% of Jetta's highway runs (the solo ones) to the TSI. Very tempting though. And this is a perfect excuse to test drive one
Old 11th May 2015, 19:27   #291
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Not yet, I think there is a plan for a Bolt Diesel AMT as well to be launched in the near future
My point in the earlier post was that cars with AMT will not feel & drive like the ones with regular auto transmission systems. Added Bolt in that list as it is one the cars for which an AMT version is being planned.

Last edited by NPV : 11th May 2015 at 19:30.
Old 11th May 2015, 20:43   #292
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Drive View Post
NPV would have meant Zest.

Edit : NPV meant the Bolt Diesel AMT hoping to get it launched in the near future.
Quote:
Not yet, I think there is a plan for a Bolt Diesel AMT as well to be launched in the near future
My point in the earlier post was that cars with AMT will not feel & drive like the ones with regular auto transmission systems. Added Bolt in that list as it is one the cars for which an AMT version is being planned.
Got your point about AMT. I was just curious seeing Bolt there as it ticks most of the boxes for me except the auto box.
Old 11th May 2015, 21:26   #293
BANNED

Quote:
*Oh one more thing - according to the Maruti sales folks the loyalty/exchange bonus is only available on Celerio MTs not the AMTs
You are right.

All the cars in the Maruti stable do come with discounts (Loyalty bonus too) but the AMT twins (Celerio and Alto K10) DO NOT have any kind of discounts running.

All the MT cars are readily available for delivery whereas the AMT twins are demanding 2-3 months waiting period.
Old 11th May 2015, 22:05   #294
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
For the kind of use I am expecting for the car, it will be a gross under-utilization of the TSI. I will have to transfer at least 30% of Jetta's highway runs (the solo ones) to the TSI. Very tempting though. And this is a perfect excuse to test drive one
If you test drive it, you will be in trouble. Since your budget seems to be increasing, I'll not be surprised if you fall for the GT TSI. Better not to put all your DSG's.. err.. eggs in one basket.

I think you need to take a step back, with a Jetta at your disposal, makes no sense to take away highway runs from the Jetta to something a couple of segments lower.

The usage pattern you indicated was ~200KM per month, for that I would still recommend the Nano AMT or the K10 AMT. At the very max, the Micra (Just for those safety features). Anything beyond that (GT TSI, Xcent, Amaze, Zest etc..) is not really worth considering keeping your use case in mind.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2015, 22:39   #295
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Rajeevraj : The usage pattern you indicated was ~200KM per month, ...
For this kind of usage, why BUY ?
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2015, 23:02   #296
Senior - BHPian

Err did you miss the bit where I posted that the Micra is a gem of a car? Myriad issues as in perception issues of a car that is low on average, high on maintenance and the service centres are not widespread. These observations are garnered from my own interactions with friends and family at large as I myself am in the process of buying an automatic hatch and Micra is my first choice especially the Olive green colour.

You are right about the 'hot' rear seat & the other thing I dislike in the Nano is the exhaust note, it's like a three wheeler.

Quote:
When you say Micra is bogged down by myriad factors, can you please elaborate on that? Are there any issues with the Micra?

I guess he meant the rear seats getting hot because of the engine located below the seats.
khoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2015, 06:28   #297
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
If you test drive it, you will be in trouble. Since your budget seems to be increasing, I'll not be surprised if you fall for the GT TSI. Better not to put all your DSG's.. err.. eggs in one basket.

I think you need to take a step back, with a Jetta at your disposal, makes no sense to take away highway runs from the Jetta to something a couple of segments lower.

The usage pattern you indicated was ~200KM per month, for that I would still recommend the Nano AMT or the K10 AMT. At the very max, the Micra (Just for those safety features). Anything beyond that (GT TSI, Xcent, Amaze, Zest etc..) is not really worth considering keeping your use case in mind.
Thanks for holding me back. In fact, I had already drawn the line before I went to sleep yesterday

After posting the above, I gave it lots of thought. Keeping aside financial sense, I could find some logic in my increasing the budget to Micra. Were it not for the brake and NVH levels, I would have chosen the Nano. Were it not for the cramped interiors (at 5'11'' with a heavy build, I feel claustrophobic inside) and lack of safety features, I would have chosen the K10. Micra solved all these problems. So, increasing the budget to Micra was justified. But going any further was not. And the GT TSI would be grossly under-utilized. So, the choice stops at Micra. I am going to still give lots of thoughts in choosing between Nano, K10 and Micra.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
For this kind of usage, why BUY ?
This is a little complicated. Just for this low usage, I have been holding back the purchase of the 2nd car so far.

My work requires me to travel often. When I am away, wife has to go out for small errands like buying vegetables, groceries, dropping the children in tution etc. She has a scooter. But some time back she had an accident and tore her ligament in one of her legs and was immobilized for 3 weeks. Though she is back to normal and insists in driving the scooter, I always keep fearing for her safety when she goes out in the scooter. I even find ways to deter her from driving the scooter - like I have been postponing the repair work on the scooter where self start does not work and hence wife could not ride it. Also, the number of maniacs on two wheelers keep increasing every day. Everyday I see some college kid zipping past in his bike at stupid speeds not caring for his and others' safety. I have been forcing her to use a taxi for her errands, but sometimes you don't get a taxi when you have to go a very short distance. These times, I end up getting an earful from my wife. That is when I decided "to hell with financial sense, let me get a 2nd car". Hope you understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Err did you miss the bit where I posted that the Micra is a gem of a car? Myriad issues as in perception issues of a car that is low on average, high on maintenance and the service centres are not widespread. These observations are garnered from my own interactions with friends and family at large as I myself am in the process of buying an automatic hatch and Micra is my first choice especially the Olive green colour.
Hi, thanks. I got it. I asked just to know if there was some known issues with the Micra. I am totally fine with the perceptions about A.S.S, cost of maintenance, reduced resale value etc. The Nissan dealer here is the same as VW (they operate from adjacent buildings), and I expect the same level of service as I get for my Jetta. Resale value is not a concern as I will keep the car for 7 years minimum.

Last edited by graaja : 12th May 2015 at 06:30.
graaja is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2015, 06:51   #298
BANNED

The micra is the one that fits the bill. The TSI won't be as comfortable to drive in city traffic as the CVT. In my opinion, you should go for the micra.
There's no other car (brio) that offers safety features and an AT in this budget.
The micra will also impress your wife and kids with the gizmos it has, partocularly the keyless entry and start stop button. It should make life easier, even if it's only 200km a month.
Don't go for the models without any safety features.I was dead set on buying a celerio zxi Amt for my mom, but the omission of abs and airbags killed it for me. It has only a single driver side airbag.
CVT:
+ no headaches about putting to N etc
+ Smooth at low speeds (city!)
Micra
+ loaded with gizmos and safety features
Those led taillights look fabulous.
There's only the TSI that goes above this car and I know many people who bought that for their wife, and ended up keeping it for themselves
H_Dogg72 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2015, 07:18   #299
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by H_Dogg72 View Post
The micra is the one that fits the bill. The TSI won't be as comfortable to drive in city traffic as the CVT. In my opinion, you should go for the micra.
There's no other car (brio) that offers safety features and an AT in this budget.
The micra will also impress your wife and kids with the gizmos it has, partocularly the keyless entry and start stop button. It should make life easier, even if it's only 200km a month.
Don't go for the models without any safety features.I was dead set on buying a celerio zxi Amt for my mom, but the omission of abs and airbags killed it for me. It has only a single driver side airbag.
CVT:
+ no headaches about putting to N etc
+ Smooth at low speeds (city!)
Micra
+ loaded with gizmos and safety features
Those led taillights look fabulous.
There's only the TSI that goes above this car and I know many people who bought that for their wife, and ended up keeping it for themselves
Not that I recommend a less safe car but if the Celerio is self driven by her, then just driver airbag would be fine, no?

The celerio/K10 are quite decent in the city - they didnt feel breathless in my TDs in Chennai. K10 is the ideal city "beater". Cheap and quite nasty (what plastics!) but gets the job done.
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2015, 07:26   #300
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
graaja : This is a little complicated. Just for this low usage, I have been holding back the purchase of the 2nd car so far.

... I decided "to hell with financial sense, let me get a 2nd car". Hope you understand. .
Can understand. It isnt that simple ..

If the usage was more, I would have suggested something like the Micra or any other options. For the current situation, the Nano may just suffice.

Personally, I dont see any major value add that the Alto can give over the Nano. The Celerio is still ok. So I would look at either Nano - or the rest of the options (Micra / Brio / Hyundai's).

Options: used AT - if you dont mind

Or - just place the options - models, prices, before her & let her decide. Let her have the TD's and the pick the car.

Last edited by condor : 12th May 2015 at 07:31.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks