Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2018, 17:09   #466
BHPian

Re: Which Automatic Hatch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacifier View Post
Is the automatic jazz now coming in VX variant?
Yes, its only in s and v variants. V trim not eqivalent in Jazz and City.

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Here's what I'll tell you: this car is for your mum, right? You decide the technical specs (safety, comfort and convenience) and shortlist cars; let her make the final call.
Haha golden words.. Wagon R and Xcent are off because of considerations like parity between family members.

Its probably down to Baleno and Jazz.

I am uncomfortable with AMT after adverse review of Ignis AMT. Jerkiness and designed for dull driving et all. If AMT Is ok, then Swift and Ignis can be considered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
My suggestion would be to get a car with a comfortable rear seat and a driver. With relatives in this age group in extended family, I see increasing stress levels to drive/ park.
My mom drove Premier Padmini without power brake and power steering in her heydays. First one to own a red M800 in the 80s.. and story goes on. She is like a team bhp mom Let her drive, dude!

Last edited by acidkill : 6th February 2018 at 17:10.
acidkill is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th February 2018, 17:23   #467
Senior - BHPian

@acidkill best wishes to your mum to keep driving.

Somewhere on this thread, I have put up a comparison spreadsheet & my rationale in picking the Jazz CVT. Might help you narrow down your choice.

Basically I chose jazz because of safety, silent engine and reliability. Downside could be service and cost. Service cost could be high too - service intervals at 6 months / 10k km

Baleno had a transmission whine I hated.
Old 6th February 2018, 21:09   #468
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidkill View Post
Its probably down to Baleno and Jazz.
Apart from these, Hyundai is launching facelift i20 this week at the Auto Expo, most likely tomorrow with CVT transmission. If priced well, that would definitely be one of the contenders.

Honda AMaze facelift is also expected in Auto Expo, and reportedly Honda has focussed on premium-ness this time. If CVT is priced well, that would be another contender for you.

I would also keep an eye out for Ford Figo's soon to be launched facelift. Its expected to be priced aggressively, and it has decent space for the requirements you have mentioned in a more compact form factor.
Old 7th February 2018, 10:18   #469
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autorahul View Post

Apart from these, Hyundai is launching facelift i20 this week at the Auto Expo,

Good suggestion on i20 and amaze. Atlesst amaze is not an amt like dzire

Have had terrible experinece in resale of cars which are not popular on the sales charts. Hence very shy of ford vw fiat cars
Old 8th February 2018, 17:15   #470
BANNED

A colleague of mine is looking forward to upgrade from his WagonR to a spacious petrol hatch with automatic. He is very much inclined towards Jazz CVT and almost finalized it.

He is only worried about how is it going to fare on stiff inclines, especially overtaking in ghat roads. To be more precise, he makes several trips on Pune Mumbai expressway and wanted to know if the i-vtec 1.2 motor with its notorious low end would able keep up with the crazy truck traffic on the khandala ghat section.
Old 8th February 2018, 20:14   #471
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolRider View Post
He is only worried about how is it going to fare on stiff inclines, especially overtaking in ghat roads. ... wanted to know if the i-vtec 1.2 motor with its notorious low end would able keep up with the crazy truck traffic on the khandala ghat section.
It will hold up pretty well. Ask him to practice stopping the car on a decent incline and hold it up with a hand gear while keeping foot on the breaks. Shift to accelerator and release the hand break gradually while pressing the accelerator to build the forward momentum. On normal inclines car does not go back due to creep feature.
adi_gt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2018, 21:20   #472
BHPian

Quote:
To be more precise, he makes several trips on Pune Mumbai expressway and wanted to know if the i-vtec 1.2 motor with its notorious low end would able keep up with the crazy truck traffic on the khandala ghat section.
You can refer to this ownership review by GKMahajan who does the same route.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...automatic.html

Basically, doesn't seem like that should be holding your friend back. Though, it might also be worth looking at Baleno, Ecosport etc. as its highly anticipated Jazz will get updated with more modern features like touchscreen etc. which WR-V, Amaze have already received.
autorahul is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th February 2018, 11:12   #473
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_gt View Post
It will hold up pretty well. Ask him to practice stopping the car on a decent incline and hold it up with a hand gear while keeping foot on the breaks.
Sorry for not being clear at first. What he meant overtaking maneuver on ghat roads and inclines with full load and A/C.

Quote:
You can refer to this ownership review by GKMahajan who does the same route.
Yes, sure, thank you. I have forwarded him the link.

Quote:
Basically, doesn't seem like that should be holding your friend back. Though, it might also be worth looking at Baleno, Ecosport etc. as its highly anticipated Jazz will get updated with more modern features like touchscreen etc. which WR-V, Amaze have already received.
Ecosport auto was way beyond his budget. Regarding Baleno, I am sure he must have test driven it and for some reason was not interested. Anyway I will remind him to check that again.
Even, I was sure Honda will update Jazz during auto expo, but it seems they are happy with Amaze update only. I am not sure he is ready to wait indefinitely for his car. Not everyone is a T-Bhpian .
Old 9th February 2018, 11:29   #474
BHPian

Hello Folks,
I am taking delivery of Figo DCT very soon! I have a specific question regarding Ford's DCT which was not answered in Figo's official review thread. Hence re-posting it here.

The official review mentioned, when you halt at the traffic signals or in traffic, you need to just pull the handbrake. This will disengage the clutch. And no need to move the gear lever to P or N from D or apply brakes. Have you been following this practice? Is this true - engaging handbrakes disengages the clutch?

Perhaps Aspire DCT owners / old EcoSport DCT owners can comment as these cars come with same engine gearbox combo.

Thank you!

Quote:
A colleague of mine is looking forward to upgrade from his WagonR to a spacious petrol hatch with automatic. He is very much inclined towards Jazz CVT and almost finalized it.

He is only worried about how is it going to fare on stiff inclines, especially overtaking in ghat roads. To be more precise, he makes several trips on Pune Mumbai expressway and wanted to know if the i-vtec 1.2 motor with its notorious low end would able keep up with the crazy truck traffic on the khandala ghat section.
Perhaps I went through the same and booked Figo for my dad replacing his WagonR! Did your friend test drove Figo DCT? It is better built, has powerful 1.5 ltr engine, DCT gearbox, good amount of space, all safety features like 6 airbags, ABS+EBD, ESP, hill launch assist.

If your friend is okay to have average interiors and can live without features like touchscreen, request sensors, reverse parking sensors etc. which can be later added, Figo is the best choice.
What's more, it is priced below Jazz. Except boot space, I believe it is as spacious as Jazz.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 9th February 2018 at 11:55. Reason: Merged back-to-back posts. Please use the Multi-Quote button to reply to more than one post at a time. Thanks.
StepUP! is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2018, 11:56   #475
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StepUP! View Post
Perhaps I went through the same and booked Figo for my dad replacing his WagonR! Did your friend test drove Figo DCT?

If your friend is okay to have average interiors and can live without features like touchscreen, request sensors, reverse parking sensors etc. which can be later added, Figo is the best choice.
Well, if he can wait for the Figo facelift, then he need not miss these features either. The new model is reportedly coming with 6.5 inch touch screen, reverse parking sensors and few other add-on features too.

What's more? It would most probably get the more powerful 1.5 Dragon engine and AT like in the EcoSport too!
aravind.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2018, 12:09   #476
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by StepUP! View Post
Perhaps I went through the same and booked Figo for my dad replacing his WagonR! Did your friend test drove Figo DCT?
Sorry, for him car means either from the trio. I have stopped suggesting other brands to non Bhpians for long, its basically leads to noway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
Well, if he can wait for the Figo facelift, then he need not miss these features either.
Same, he is not interested anything outside Honda/Maruti/Hyundai.

Though, I may ask him to wait till launch of new i20. It will come with CVT mated to 1.2 ltr kappa, means price should be lesser. But again, I think i20 with 1.2 kappa and CVT also will suffer from terrible low end. Any idea, with launch dates?

Last edited by PetrolRider : 9th February 2018 at 12:13.
PetrolRider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2018, 11:35   #477

Re: Which car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennischoksi999 View Post
We're planning to replace our aging 2011 Polo 1.2 TDI with a new hatchback. The requirements are a good automatic transmission mated to a petrol engine and budget restricted to no more than ₹8,00,000/- (on road Ahmedabad). The car will mostly be driven in the city, however, mild highway driving is also planned.

We have shortlisted the following cars:
1. Tata Tiago XZA
2. Maruti Suzuki Ignis Delta AMT
3. Maruti Suzuki Baleno Delta CVT
Update: Dad booked the new swift ZXI AMT. Just need an opinion if it is a good pick.

Thank you all again for the help.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 13th February 2018 at 11:37. Reason: Edited quoted post for length.
Old 13th February 2018, 13:14   #478
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennischoksi999 View Post
Update: Dad booked the new swift ZXI AMT. Just need an opinion if it is a good pick.

Thank you all again for the help.
Swift as we all know has a tried and tested pedigree. It is in its new Avatar I no longer consider it a very good value proposition considering its swankier sibling is not priced too far away. Maruti really should have priced the swift tad bit lower. Until the day comes, I'd pick the Baleno over Swift any day.

If I may, I'd rather suggest looking at Baleno Zeta AT (If you do not mind shelling about 80K extra). This extra 80 K among other things will get you.

1. A proper CVT (unlike Maruti's not so smooth AMT)
2. A bigger car (3840 mm vs 3995mm)
3. Bigger R16 tyres.
4. Telescopic Steering (Swift only has Tilt)

and other nifty things like
5. Electronic IRVM vs manual one on Swift
6. Driver Armrest and storage underneath the armrest.
7. Automatic Follow me home headlamps.

Happy Motoring.
sandman_30 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2018, 13:37   #479

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman_30 View Post
Swift as we all know has a tried and tested pedigree. It is in its new Avatar I no longer consider it a very good value proposition considering its swankier sibling is not priced too far away. Maruti really should have priced the swift tad bit lower. Until the day comes, I'd pick the Baleno over Swift any day.

If I may, I'd rather suggest looking at Baleno Zeta AT (If you do not mind shelling about 80K extra). This extra 80 K among other things will get you.

1. A proper CVT (unlike Maruti's not so smooth AMT)
2. A bigger car (3840 mm vs 3995mm)
3. Bigger R16 tyres.
4. Telescopic Steering (Swift only has Tilt)

and other nifty things like
5. Electronic IRVM vs manual one on Swift
6. Driver Armrest and storage underneath the armrest.
7. Automatic Follow me home headlamps.

Happy Motoring.
I too am quite keen on the Baleno. It is a more VFM offering from Maruti. We're not willing to extend the budget beyond ₹8L OTR Ahmedabad, so Baleno Delta CVT is the one that fits the budget. Since the features are almost identical, the following are the concerns that my dad has raised against my choice:

1. We need a car mainly for city driving and owing to traffic congestion and parking issues, a smaller car should do a better job.

2. Baleno is due a facelift and we wouldn't want buying a new car feeling old so soon and hence it's better to go for a fresh product.

I too agree with you that Maruti has priced the new swift a bit higher than what it has to offer. However, what I'm more concerned about is if the new swift as promising a product as the outgoing one.

Thanks for your input

Last edited by dennischoksi999 : 13th February 2018 at 13:59.
Old 15th February 2018, 10:41   #480
BHPian

I am in the market for a sub 4 lakhs AMT. There are four options available i.e. Redi-GO, Alto K10 , Tata Nano and Kwid. I have yet to take test rides for the same.

Usage :
a) For short trips within the city.
b) To accommodate at the maximum 3-4 passengers.

My requirements are the following i.e.
a) AMT should be robust,trouble free and easy to use.
b) Should not be noisy.
c) The car should overall be a decent performer.

Would appreciate inputs/suggestions regarding the same.

Last edited by dpkbehera : 15th February 2018 at 10:46.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks