Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2018, 10:27   #526
BHPian

Re: Which Automatic Hatch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambydude View Post
However, we are not able to decide. Any valuable thoughts, advice which would help us decide are welcome.
I think you should wait for the updated Figo to launch sometime next month. That might offer TC gearbox like Ecosport and would be your ideal car, if you have doubts about AMT. You could also look at Grand i10 Sportz AT. It recently received ABS also, finally making it a suggestable package.

For someone who just learned driving, I would keep a simple car, and not go for complex machinery like Polo GT TSI.
autorahul is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2018, 13:00   #527
BHPian

Quote:
The new car should be automatic, should be easy to drive and should have good overall visibility. Although the budget was max 8 lacs, we decided to stretch till 11.5 lacs only for POLO GT TSI or EcoSport Trend.
Consider the Jazz V CVT. Easy to drive, refined and spacious. Misses out on a lot of kit though.

Also consider the Baleno CVT, if you can adjust to the typical Maruti build.
Aaron:) is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2018, 13:43   #528
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I doubt if Ford Freestyle has an automatic variant. IMO it has only manual
New 2018 EcoSport automatic comes with torque converter gearbox and not DCT.
My bad...

You are right, of course. There is no AT in Freestyle. Apologies.

I have the Jazz automatic. It is a good car but overpriced, IMO. Otherwise an excellent car.

My niece has an i10 Grand. The car is very nice. Hers is not automatic but I have heard good things about the Auto.

That might work for you too.
sridhu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th May 2018, 10:08   #529
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Suraj View Post
Highway runs, usually, if you have a diesel car lying around, you will prefer that one only.
Happens with our Manza and Tiago too.
So your Rapid will serve well for the highway trips. The 2nd car is purely city use and maybe the one off highway. Rarely. Tiago AMT is no issue in the city. Can vouch for it. 1 year and 6237 kms done. Including a few highway trips. Auto in city mode is perfect for city. Occasionally for fun can use sports mode too. P
Dr. SURAJ, can you comment on the AC cooling of Tiago AMT? While taking the test drive, I felt the cooling wasn't really great. It was hot inside the car. Must say that it was 2 pm noon.
Have you felt the same?
Old 13th May 2018, 08:19   #530
BHPian

Quote:
Dr. SURAJ, can you comment on the AC cooling of Tiago AMT? While taking the test drive, I felt the cooling wasn't really great. It was hot inside the car. Must say that it was 2 pm noon.

Have you felt the same?

Hello,

I have been using Tiago XZA since last 9 months and have already crossed 10800km. I must say that it is the best option that we have in Automatic hatchbacks. No problem with AC. Yes, It takes some time to cool the car at around noon if it is parked under the sun.

I also have Rapid Petrol which I use sparingly now, only over the week ends, that too, only to keep the car in good condition.
JitendraK78 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2018, 10:04   #531
BHPian

Guys I am planning to buy a new or used automatic hatch and the Jazz is high on my list. This will be my first petrol car (have a diesel Liva presently). Would like to know from owners how's the performance in ghats like Ooty or Kodai under full load. If I stop on an incline uphill how easy is it to get going? I didn't find hill start assist as an option. Is the torque enough at full load on an incline?
Old 13th May 2018, 12:13   #532
BANNED

Anybody thinking about an AT must de facto look at CVTs which are becoming de rigeur. Old transfer case is now becoming history. I have a five speed AT in both my Civic & Brio but that is now history.
sgiitk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th May 2018, 11:20   #533
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JitendraK78 View Post
Hello,

I have been using Tiago XZA since last 9 months and have already crossed 10800km. I must say that it is the best option that we have in Automatic hatchbacks. No problem with AC. Yes, It takes some time to cool the car at around noon if it is parked under the sun.

I also have Rapid Petrol which I use sparingly now, only over the week ends, that too, only to keep the car in good condition.
The AC is fine. Decent. Maybe not as good as the Nano. but better than previous Tata's.

There are 3 major problems with the AC system.
1. Too noisy on speed 3 and 4
2. The AC filter is too small and needs cleaning every 4 to 6 months as opposed to 9 to 12 months in the bigger Tata's
3. The vents are awkward and can't be shut completely.

Solution:
1. Over a period, I have noticed keeping the fan on 2 is less noisy and DOES cool the cabin perfectly, takes 3 minutes more at most. So not a major issue
2. It's a DIY - left side, front passenger footwell. Either I get it done during scheduled servicing or DIY or as a rule after every major trip and the difference is noticeable. (This could also be the issue with the TD vehicle you experienced)
3. No solution. Bit of a design flaw by Tata.
Dr.Suraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2018, 13:27   #534
BHPian

Quote:
Now we have two options in front of us
1. Tiago XZA - 6.9 lacs on road Bangalore, good build quality, good music system, good visibility, ticks most of the boxes. However, have doubts about the AMT gearbox. Will be used strictly in the city. No highway runs in a small car.

2. EcoSport trend - Again, ticks most of the boxes. Bigger car than Tiago. Can use it on the highway. May not need to buy a bigger car as an upgrade to Rapid for 4-5 years. Better gearbox (TC), touchscreen and reverse camera. However, it is costly by 4.5 lacs compared to Tiago.
We have dropped EcoSport from the list and have added grand I 10 sports (o) automatic. Had not added this earlier due to misunderstanding that the car did not have ABS. However, came to know that there was recent update and ABS was added.
Positives are -
1. more refined engine than Tiago.
2. Proper AT with torque converter. Shifts are smooth. No head nod or jerking like AMT. Creep function is better.
3. 7 inch touchscreen with Android auto/ carplay
4. Reverse camera
5. Better colour options than Tiago ( subjective)

Negatives -
1. Build quality inferior to Tiago
2. No driver seat height adjustment
3. No key Fob. Its just a key with lock/ unlock buttons
4. Costlier by 1.1 lacs on road
5. 4 speed gearbox

Any advice on 5 gear not being there is welcome. Our highway drives will be less frequent as we have a diesel rapid. Is 5 th gear a deal breaker?

Please share your thoughts as we are nearing the purchase decision.
Old 14th May 2018, 18:35   #535
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
I'm facing one of the biggest dilemmas of my life till now.
=====
However, we are not able to decide. Any valuable thoughts, advice which would help us decide are welcome.
If you can spend 11-12 lakhs then lots of options open up - the Yaris J, the all new Amaze, Jazz, upcoming i20 etc etc. That's an entirely different segment.

I would suggest for a first time woman driver, keep it simple. Pick either the Tiago or wait for the new Figo.

Last edited by Jaggu : 14th May 2018 at 20:35. Reason: Trimming quoted post.
Old 14th May 2018, 20:12   #536
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron:) View Post
Consider the Jazz V CVT. Easy to drive, refined and spacious. Misses out on a lot of kit though.

Also consider the Baleno CVT, if you can adjust to the typical Maruti build.
I am planning to buy a new or used automatic hatch and the Jazz is high on my list. This will be my first petrol car (have a diesel Liva presently). Would like to know from owners how's the performance in ghats like Ooty or Kodai under full load. If I stop on an incline uphill how easy is it to get going? I didn't find hill start assist as an option. Is the torque enough at full load on an incline?
Old 14th May 2018, 20:32   #537
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivr1612 View Post
I am planning to buy a new or used automatic hatch and the Jazz is high on my list. Would like to know from owners how's the performance in ghats like Ooty or Kodai under full load. If I stop on an incline uphill how easy is it to get going? I didn't find hill start assist as an option. Is the torque enough at full load on an incline?
I think its pretty OK. Don't expect top notch performance in ghats but it will not disappoint either. If you are going to drive sedately its a pretty good car in Ghats as well. Torque is good enough to pull at an incline. On normal inclines the creep is sufficient to stop and start but on steep ones you have to use the hand brakes. Hope it was helpful.
Old 14th May 2018, 20:40   #538
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivr1612 View Post
I am planning to buy a new or used automatic hatch and the Jazz is high on my list. This will be my first petrol car (have a diesel Liva presently). Would like to know from owners how's the performance in ghats like Ooty or Kodai under full load. If I stop on an incline uphill how easy is it to get going? I didn't find hill start assist as an option. Is the torque enough at full load on an incline?
I have not driven in Ooty/ Kodai but have come thru Krishnagiri ghats.

I have the V - CVT.

My impressions: the car has plenty of power. You just need to keep the rpms in the meaty power band; this is usually a bit higher than you expect. I had no trouble overtaking or maintaining 120kmph on the Madras-BLR highway. In the first trip to Madras, I hated the car, coming from an Innova/ Crysta/ Duster and being spoiled by the torque available. I got used to the car & how to drive it in the meantime. And hence thiss latest trip was a breeze.

So, there is a learning curve with the car.

I climb from my basement daily - this is a 8 ft rise in about 15 ft - a pretty steep gradient. Never had a problem. I even made my daughter, an inexperienced driver, stop on my basement incline and start it again. She had no trouble; the car did not roll back at all even when she did not use the handbrake technique. No need for hill start assist.

The only 'issue' is that it is a car that likes to be driven sedately. If you push it too hard, nothing much happens for some time. Otherwise, it is gem to own & use.
Old 15th May 2018, 21:48   #539
BHPian

I have a budget of about 9L and I travel about 22KM to work every day. I've driven the Polo, i20, Baleno, and Jazz so far. Should I be looking at a diesel or Petrol? I don't mind picking up a second-hand car either. Will need to figure out a loan for that though. Any suggestions?
Old 15th May 2018, 23:15   #540
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaderBalooch View Post
I have a budget of about 9L and I travel about 22KM to work every day. I've driven the Polo, i20, Baleno, and Jazz so far. Should I be looking at a diesel or Petrol? I don't mind picking up a second-hand car either. Will need to figure out a loan for that though. Any suggestions?
I am guess 22km denotes round trip distance. In that case petrol is good enough. Since the post is in automatic thread, I am guess you are looking at automatic only. Baleno and Jazz are decent picks, even though they might not be very exciting. Polo while exciting, might just go out of your budget on road. i20 AT is expected to launch very soon.

If its 22km one way, you might want to consider diesel. Dzire AMT jumps up in that case. Its not the smoothest AMT, but it does the job, just what you would expect from it. Brezza Vdi AMT might also be considered if you prefer a crossover

Whether petrol or diesel, I would give a hard look at the Amaze launching tomorrow. It has received good reviews for both petrol and diesel, and looks to be a much better car than the outgoing model.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks