Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2018, 05:48   #601
BHPian

Re: Which Automatic Hatch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinucv View Post
In search of a petrol automatic hatchback or compact sedan for my wife. Did TD of Celario, Amaze so far. Did not feel very comfortable with Celario but Amaze felt good both in terms of driving comfort and leg room at back. Planning to do some more TDs and below are in the list.

i20
Nexon
Jazz
Aspire.

Any suggestions and comments will be highly appreciated. Budget is about 8-9 lakhs.
All are good choices. However, assuming you meant the on road price as 8-9 lacs, I'm not sure if any of these cars in auto trim will come in that price range. Does it?
Old 30th August 2018, 17:49   #602
BHPian

Here is the on road price in Chennai

Amaze S CVT 8.5 Lakhs
i20 CVT Magna executive 8.2 lakhs
Jazz V CVT 9.8 Lakhs

Haven't yet checked the other ones.
Old 31st October 2018, 10:08   #603
Senior - BHPian

My wife's uncle & aunt want to change their current Celerio (MT) and go in for an automatic hatch. They are an elderly couple looking at safety, comfort and reliability primarily and have no desire for engine performance and stuff.
Their musts -
Only from the Maruti/Suzuki stable.
Should be an automatic.
Should have dual airbags.
Budget is not too rigid but it will not stretch to a Baleno.
Ease of Ingress/Egress important.

The options (the lowest variants of each with these) obviously are -
Celerio VXI (O) AGS
Ignis Delta AMT
Swift VXI AMT

I am going to recommend the Ignis since I found it to be a well packaged product overall.
Would be happy to get views on the above.
Old 31st October 2018, 10:47   #604
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
Their musts -
Should be an automatic.
The Ignis it is, they are used to the size, the Ignis is better built than the other options and offers a tall boy stance that allows easy ingress and egress.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2018, 10:47   #605
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My wife's uncle & aunt want to change their current Celerio (MT) and go in for an automatic hatch. They are an elderly couple looking at safety, comfort and reliability primarily and have no desire for engine performance and stuff.
Their musts -
Should be an automatic.

Celerio VXI (O) AGS
Ignis Delta AMT
Swift VXI AMT

I am going to recommend the Ignis since I found it to be a well packaged product overall.
I recently bought a used A Star Automatic (which comes with a torque converter). I took the help of my friendly local mechanic. He pretty much confirmed the ground reality (which, by the way is shared here routinely on the Maruti AMT issues thread as well) - Maruti's hydraulically actuated AMT is a dud, a liability. He has done far too many repairs on Maruti's AMTs. Yes, I am fully aware that there are Maruti AMT owners who've not had a single niggle. But you should also be aware that there are many who do have problems with it.

Of course, as long as one is covered by the OEM warranty, financially it'll not be a debacle. But one cannot have peace of mind.

If you can help it, please advise them against it. I know that CVTs and Torque Converter ATs are pricier to buy and to run, but...oh well, one can't beat the value proposition of AMTs. Point conceded in favor of the AMTs.

Why not begin to consider automatics from other stables? I also wonder how much better the electrically actuated AMT in the Hyundai Santro is.

If they must stick to that list of cars, the Swift AMT or the Ignis AMT with the bigger engine of the three would perform better. Collective experience here on the forum suggests that AMTs do well when mated with a bigger engine.

Last edited by locusjag : 31st October 2018 at 10:50.
locusjag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th November 2018, 10:42   #606
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
I recently bought a used A Star Automatic (which comes with a torque converter). I took the help of my friendly local mechanic. He pretty much confirmed the ground reality (which, by the way is shared here routinely on the Maruti AMT issues thread as well) - Maruti's hydraulically actuated AMT is a dud, a liability. He has done far too many repairs on Maruti's AMTs. Yes, I am fully aware that there are Maruti AMT owners who've not had a single niggle. But you should also be aware that there are many who do have problems with it.

Of course, as long as one is covered by the OEM warranty, financially it'll not be a debacle. But one cannot have peace of mind.

If you can help it, please advise them against it. I know that CVTs and Torque Converter ATs are pricier to buy and to run, but...oh well, one can't beat the value proposition of AMTs. Point conceded in favor of the AMTs.

Why not begin to consider automatics from other stables? I also wonder how much better the electrically actuated AMT in the Hyundai Santro is.

If they must stick to that list of cars, the Swift AMT or the Ignis AMT with the bigger engine of the three would perform better. Collective experience here on the forum suggests that AMTs do well when mated with a bigger engine.
I have a WagonR 2016 which had a clutch replacement along with flywheel done when the car had done about 6000+ km. I was advised to go in for an extended warranty at an additional cost which I did and this came in useful now as there was a second replacement of clutch & flywheel at just 15000= km immediately after the paid service a fortnight ago. There is severe mismatch between the 3 cylinder engine and the torque requirements of the vehicle. I have it from the horse's mouth that Celerio does have problems, but steadfastly I'm told that WagonR does not have problems. I feel that the gear changes should happen later than they are programmed to do and also the flywheel may be too light for the 3 cyl engine. I have failed in convincing MSIL that there is a mismatch in the power/ torque outputs vis-a-vis requirements, the technical guys who had come down from Maruti Factory on some other work decided to test my car and opined that this will never compare with the Torque converter models. I for one would vociferously vote for a 4 cylinder engine instead of the 3 cylinder engine. The 3 cylinder engine will continue to be a failure unless the MSIL do not offer their cars for ARAI recertification with higher idling speeds. As regards performance, the engine revs do not drop rapidly on closing throttle. The MSIL is not even open to providing a sport mode option on the AMT which is a low cost retrofit that can be envisaged and is available even on the lowly Tata Nano.
Maybe the Tata Nano AMT with the two cylinder engine runs better than the Celerio & WagonR. My sincere advise to new car buyers - do not go by the salesman's pitch of the largest service network. Please be warned that you could end up using the service network very often to your discomfiture. MSIL please get your act together and pull up your socks. Word of mouth advertisement is the best form of advertising and so make an effort to take customer feedback however miniscule in numbers.
Karadi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th December 2018, 13:38   #607
BHPian

Friends,

I currently drive a 2014 WagonR. My usage is around 18000 - 20000 kms/annum. I must say, WagonR has not given me any major issues till date and has been an absolute pleasure to drive. But over time, I have started to fall out of love with this car. This maybe because of the sheer number of miles I have munched over these 4 years, the cramped space and the manual gear transmission taking a toll on my left knee. Also, very recently I had to replace the clutch plate and the flywheel. Post this, there is a weird humming sound coming from the engine/ transmission as the rpm goes up. Have not been able to figure this out yet. So, slowly but surely, I get a sense that the car is aging (it has run around 70000 kms till date). This has led me to look out for a new vehicle with the following requirements:

- Home to office is 24 kms. So daily running would be around 50 kms. Add to that, weekend drives of around 300 kms at least every couple of months. And around 2 long distance drives/ vacations of 1500 - 2000 kms in a year. Considering this usage, I am more inclined towards a diesel vehicle than a petrol vehicle as a petrol wouldn't make economic sense for the usage mentioned herein above;
- Considering my daily usage of 50 kms in peak traffic, I am more inclined towards an automatic transmission. Not so keen in an AMT like in the Tatas/ Marutis;
- Budget of around 9 - 10 lacs.

These conditions/parameters limits my options to only hatchbacks and sub-4 meter sedans. And basis my limited research, I believe the only viable option is the Honda Amaze I-Dtec Automatic and the VW Ameo TDI + DSG. I haven't yet TD-ed the Amaze yet but plan to do it very soon. I TD-ed the Ameo for a considerable distace and time. Really really loved the way it drives so effortlessly. But was put off because of the cramped space in the rear (I am 6'1" and every one in my family are quite tall/healthy). Also, the horror stories I have read about VWs below-par after sales service and the unreliable engine/transmission has made me tick the German siblings (VW and Skoda) off my list.

I am not aware of any other vehicle in this budget satisfying the above mentioned parameters (i.e. Diesel + Automatic (TC or CVT) + Hatchback/mid-size sedan).

I really liked the diesel engine of Ford in the Aspire/ Freestyle. Was a fun loving peppy engine. But unfortunately, I have heard that Ford does not offer an AT in their diesels.

The other option, in my mind, is to go in for a used Automatic + Diesel sedan. But this requires some more thought.

I would love some views and some more food-for-thought from my friends in this forum. Maybe I am restricting my thought process and not looking beyond my limited scope of understanding. Or maybe this is still an unexplored space in the market (Diesel + Automatic (TC/CVT) + Hatchback/mid size sedan).
Old 10th December 2018, 13:59   #608
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerface23 View Post
- Home to office is 24 kms. So daily running would be around 50 kms. Add to that, weekend drives of around 300 kms at least every couple of months. And around 2 long distance drives/ vacations of 1500 - 2000 kms in a year. Considering this usage, I am more inclined towards a diesel vehicle than a petrol vehicle as a petrol wouldn't make economic sense for the usage mentioned herein above;
- Considering my daily usage of 50 kms in peak traffic, I am more inclined towards an automatic transmission. Not so keen in an AMT like in the Tatas/ Marutis;

These conditions/parameters limits my options to only hatchbacks and sub-4 meter sedans. And basis my limited research, I believe the only viable option is the Honda Amaze I-Dtec Automatic and the VW Ameo TDI + DSG. I haven't yet TD-ed the Amaze yet but plan to do it very soon. I TD-ed the Ameo for a considerable distace and time. Really really loved the way it drives so effortlessly. But was put off because of the cramped space in the rear (I am 6'1" and every one in my family are quite tall/healthy). Also, the horror stories I have read about VWs below-par after sales service and the unreliable engine/transmission has made me tick the German siblings (VW and Skoda) off my list.

I am not aware of any other vehicle in this budget satisfying the above mentioned parameters (i.e. Diesel + Automatic (TC or CVT) + Hatchback/mid-size sedan).

I really liked the diesel engine of Ford in the Aspire/ Freestyle. Was a fun loving peppy engine. But unfortunately, I have heard that Ford does not offer an AT in their diesels.

The other option, in my mind, is to go in for a used Automatic + Diesel sedan. But this requires some more thought.
Amaze is a good option indeed. Ameo is ruled out as it is too cramped. There is absolutely no space in the car to keep more than 2 adults happy.

If you are open to a petrol AT, do check out Aspire.
Old 11th December 2018, 21:38   #609
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerface23 View Post
Friends,
This has led me to look out for a new vehicle with the following requirements:

Considering your requirements and as you have mentioned, a diesel AT wil be perfect for you. The Honda Amaze Diesel AT is made for you. You get the ease of an automatic will the efficiency of a diesel motor. It might not be the best insulated car though.

If you are open to the used car market, Hyundai Verna and Elantra will fit easily in your 9-10L budget. Go for the Verna as Elantra will be too big considering you drive daily in peak traffic.

Also, if you want to consider Petrol automatic cars, why not give a test drive to the Baleno AT? Its well in your budget, is spacious and has a good FE too . If you stetch the budget a little, even the Ciaz Delta AT will also be a good option too. The year end discounts are around 70k for the delta variant according to Autocar India, with good bargaining, you might your hands on one with a couple of thousands only over 10 lakhs!

Hoping this would help in your final decision.

Cheers!
Old 15th December 2018, 16:03   #610
Senior - BHPian

Hello everyone,

So I am considering replacing my 2011 VW Polo 1.6 MPI Petrol. It is really a fantastic car and has done around 67k kms till date. Honestly, I do not really have a solid reason to replace this car except for wanting more power. The engine being naturally aspirated has limitations in terms of modifications and remaps. I initially planned to sell it and buy the GT TSI but for some reason I did not like the 'feel' of the car during the test drive. That being said, there is no 'real' replacement for this car so far.

So I was thinking, should I look for a used GTI or maybe a used Mercedes A Class / BMW 1 Series? I know that it would not sound wise to spend that kind of money on a hatch when one can get a good sedan. But my other car is already a 2015 Jetta and I am more than happy with that beast.

Should I even look to replace the 1.6 or just keep it for a couple of years more?
Old 15th December 2018, 16:26   #611
Distinguished - BHPian

If you are not looking for AT, it makes very little sense to replace your car. If you do need AT, you should give TSI another shot. It is still the top of the heap in spite of its age. MB A class etc is a totally different $$$ game, not really a value for money proposition. You can look at the big Germans when your Jetta is due for replacement.

You can really spruce up Polo, people have done impressive things. It's still the practical easy on the pocket FTD car in our market.
Old 15th December 2018, 16:30   #612
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Their musts -
Should be an automatic.

Celerio VXI (O) AGS
Ignis Delta AMT
Swift VXI AMT

I think you need to ask them to take a TD and decide, AMT's roll back on an incline and that may catch them by surprise. That said I've been driven around in an Ignis DDiS AMT and found it to be very refined.
Durango Dude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2018, 16:48   #613
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
If you are not looking for AT, it makes very little sense to replace your car. If you do need AT, you should give TSI another shot. It is still the top of the heap in spite of its age.

You can really spruce up Polo, people have done impressive things. It's still the practical easy on the pocket FTD car in our market.
I am looking for an AT but there is nothing in the market except the GT TSI which has the same power of the 1.6 but with a DSG. Of course, remapping it is a different story which will fetch me around 130 bhp I guess. In such a case, I would be tempted to look at a used GTI instead.
Sprucing up the Polo 1.6 will give me a maximum of 10% in power, i.e. 115 bhp and around 170 Nm torque.

Quote:
MB A class etc is a totally different $$$ game, not really a value for money proposition.
Yes, the Merc A Class is definitely not a value for money proposition and plus the cost of maintenance would be way higher. I have hence considered the GTI. Familiar VW family; similar in size and would be lighter on the pocket than MB.

Quote:
You can look at the big Germans when your Jetta is due for replacement.
Replacing the Jetta is currently taboo for me. I just love that car so much. Can really give the Rs. 30+ lakh cars a run for their money. And I have remapped it too so its a beast. I do not intend replacing it before 2020/2021. At the moment finding a car to replace the Jetta is as tough as it is to find one to replace the 1.6. But Im sure in another 02 years time there will be options available.
Old 15th December 2018, 17:14   #614
Distinguished - BHPian

Other than the obvious extra power, what extra kit do you get in GTI compared to GT? I wish VW offered GT with paddles and fancy headlights. I really don't enjoy more power if the chassis is not mature. I like my gokarts to be underpowered if you know what I mean.
Old 15th December 2018, 17:28   #615
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Other than the obvious extra power, what extra kit do you get in GTI compared to GT? I wish VW offered GT with paddles and fancy headlights. I really don't enjoy more power if the chassis is not mature. I like my gokarts to be underpowered if you know what I mean.
I don't know what you are referring to when you say 'extra kit'. The GTI has paddles. Honestly, one should not expect fancy features in performance cars. I had bought the Polo 1.6 for its performance. It is bare bones otherwise and I really don't miss much. The 1.8 TSI engine of the GTI is kit enough I guess.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks