Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2019, 05:22   #676
BHPian

Re: Which Automatic Hatch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
You have the budget for an Non AMT, so better to skip the AMT's. Baleno, i20 both suit your requirements. The Polo will be the most enjoyable car, but maybe an overkill for your needs.
I am not exclusively shopping for an AMT. I am only not ruling it out quickly. Despite its jerky nature, we would not mind using it as it is our first automatic. My dad has driven the Celerio once before and he had no problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
Why is the Jazz not there? Any specific reason?

I feel the Polo TSI with extended 6 year warranty should be the first choice

I personally prefer the Jazz over the Baleno. Safety & solidity.

I did not like rhe way the i20 drives. But I have not driven it in the recent past

Ignis is too small & AMT
The Jazz is not at all VFM when compared to the top ends of i20 and Baleno. Hence I have ruled it out.
The quality levels of Honda have also taken a nosedive.
Polo would be my first choice but it would be driven by my mother mostly. I do not see the point in a getting a fun-to-drive car which will not be used in the way it is supposed to. The car would be more of a ‘Point A to point B’ vehicle albeit with some luxury in it.
DSG failures and poor A.S.S worry me too, but not as much as the first point. I am open to the Ignis too.
artemis_fowl is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th March 2019, 09:25   #677
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis_fowl View Post
Guys I am looking to replace my Swift (G13BB engine) and I have shortlisted the following candidates:
+New Swift
+Baleno
+Ignis
+i20
+Polo

Requirements:
+Petrol automatic hatch, 100% city driving only
+Open to all kinds of transmissions (yes, even the much-glorified AMT)
+Decent interiors with basic gizmos as per the segment.
+Budget: 10 lakh OTR, extendable upto 11 lakh. Not more.
+Can seat 4 in reasonable comfort.
Since you have the budget and replacing the Swift, getting another swift or ignis won't really be an upgrade.

The Baleno is a great package, but the age old automatic gearbox and flimsy quality is a compromise. Had it been a manual car, the story would be different.

The i20 will be the best suited product from the choices you have given. High quality and better gearbox alongwith proven Hyundai ASS. Since the car will be driven by your mother, she would rather appreciate the super light steering of the car

Also, why not consider the Ford Figo AT? I guess it should make a strong case in your situation. Do check that out too! Happy Shopping

Cheers!
DPetrolHead is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th March 2019, 09:49   #678
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPetrolHead View Post
Since you have the budget and replacing the Swift, getting another swift or ignis won't really be an upgrade.

The Baleno is a great package, but the age old automatic gearbox and flimsy quality is a compromise. Had it been a manual car, the story would be different.

The i20 will be the best suited product from the choices you have given. High quality and better gearbox alongwith proven Hyundai ASS. Since the car will be driven by your mother, she would rather appreciate the super light steering of the car

Also, why not consider the Ford Figo AT? I guess it should make a strong case in your situation. Do check that out too! Happy Shopping

Cheers!
Thanks! I don’t mind getting the new Swift as i just love its looks and interior. I am also more or less fixed on the i20. The Asta (O) is a bit of a stretch but it is worth the price as it gets 6 airbags.
I am not considering the Figo as the AT does not come in the top spec and it has a 3 cylinder engine, which would be a downgrade. I’m not looking for any serious performance here.
artemis_fowl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2019, 11:16   #679
Senior - BHPian

Recently I was in the market to buy an automatic hatch and ended up buying i20 CVT (Asta). I thought that some of my experience may be helpful to others.

Firstly, regarding the i20 CVT:
Buy this car if you are looking for a car which is spacious, well built, reliable and has good feature list.

Avoid it, if you
  1. are keen on the 'fun to drive' factor
  2. particular about the FE (I am getting 6ish in Bangalore traffic. I am yet to establish if there is an issue with my car/my driving style or is it the issue with i20 CVT in general)
  3. ride comfort. This is the biggest surprise as a car which is softly sprung, you expect the low speed ride to be smooth but this car gets unsettled even at the slight hint of uneven surface and results in sharp vertical movements.

I had considered Polo GT, Jazz CVT and even Ford Aspire AT. Since the car was primarily for my wife, she was more inclined towards the i20. But in reality I find myself driving it more and regret not going for Polo GT (or even Aspire at the least)

Last edited by Guna : 28th March 2019 at 11:17.
Guna is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th March 2019, 11:40   #680
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis_fowl View Post
Any reason that you are looking for an AMT only?Do consider the Grand i10 as it will be a perfect upgrade from the A-Star. Just my thoughts.
My budget is 7L OTR and daily running would be around 10 KMs. Would be used by my wife. Had the Grand i10 few years back and hence didn't want to repeat. Now zeroed in on the Ignis Delta AMT.
Old 28th March 2019, 12:25   #681
Senior - BHPian

Have been toying with the idea of an upgrade from my 8 year old Estilo Manual since last year but the kicker was once I changed my job earlier this year and had to commute on ORR daily which pushed me to narrow down my search to only Petrol Automatics(running around 1000kms/month). Started with a budget of 8L which eventually is getting pushed by 20-25%. Cars that I test drove:

1. Freestyle : This was before I decided on automatics. Its a great car with decent space/legroom for 4 people, powerful enough engine, superb safety features & great GC. Wish Ford provided an AT in this, would have been my choice eyes closed.
2. Nexon petrol AMT : I was ready to stretch by 50% as I love the car for everything it has to offer except the most important thing now i.e. the transmission. The headnod just marred the experience. More so after I test drove other options.
3. Grand i10AT : Smooth transmission, ample space for 4 people, good build quality & interior. But the transmission is definitely 1 gear short, it begs for atleast a 5 speed AT. With current discounts running in range of 1L it makes all the sense in the world as a second city car if you already own a bigger one for highway duties. A guzzler returning 8-9 for most in bangalore B2B traffic.
4. Figo Aspire AT: I have no interest in sub-compact sedans and actually wanted to test Figo AT, but since its not available yet was offered the Aspire AT for a test drive. Boy o boy!!! Cracker of an engine-gearbox combo. A little expensive at 9.8L bangalore OTR but understandable as it doesnt get the small car tax exemption. Hate the overdose of chrome upfront in this one. Looking forward for Figo AT test vehicle to be available before taking a call.
5. Jazz CVT: This struck a perfect balance for me. Its smooth for daily usage and loved the paddle shifters. If I end up buying this, paddle shifters would be the most used feature in the car . Space management is commendable but again this one is pretty expensive at 10.4 for VX CVT & 9.6 for V CVT post discounts.

I have little more than a month to take a call, lets see where I end up. For now Jazz V CVT or Figo AT are the probable contenders.
Quote:
Originally Posted by karthik_freaky View Post
My budget is 7L OTR and daily running would be around 10 KMs. Would be used by my wife. Had the Grand i10 few years back and hence didn't want to repeat. Now zeroed in on the Ignis Delta AMT.
I would strongly recommend checking out the grand i10 in that budget. In bangalore the sprotz(o) AT was offered at 1L discount bringing the OTR to 7.8L, so in Chennai it should be closer to your budget. The torque convertor is much smoother than AMT and very easy to live with. More so as its to be used by your wife, she would appreciate the quality interiors and seamless transmission. Only issue is its not as frugal as a maruti but that shouldn't matter in your use case(10kms a day).
Quote:
For those considering the Ford ATs - please ensure that it is not the DSG. I know the Ecosport has it. I think the Figo also has it.
Thats history now. Ford doesnt offer DCT anymore in any car below 15L. Only one left was Figo which they updated this month with the same TC box-engine combo as Ecosport & Aspire.

Last edited by SoumenD : 28th March 2019 at 12:52.
Old 28th March 2019, 12:31   #682
Senior - BHPian

For those considering the Ford ATs - please ensure that it is not the DSG. I know the Ecosport has it. I think the Figo also has it.

If anything, these are even more problematic than the VW ones. Just search for Ford DSG issues

IIRC, they have been sued in Australia

For your consideration

Wondering if a DSG in a small engine car is cursed to be problematic.
sridhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2019, 12:34   #683
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

If anything, these are even more problematic than the VW ones. Just search for Ford DSG issues

IIRC, they have been sued in Australia

For your consideration

Wondering if a DSG in a small engine car is cursed to be problematic.
Ford India has switched to the traditional Torque Converters now.
Guna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2019, 13:51   #684
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
VIN only tells the model year. Even mine tells that it's 2019 , but the month is December. Check your month of manufacture.
The VIN tells you a lot more than just the model year. As per the VIN, my car is manufactured in February 2019.
Epic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2019, 14:14   #685
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
The VIN tells you a lot more than just the model year. As per the VIN, my car is manufactured in February 2019.
Could you give me a link to a good VIN decoder for our VW cars?
Old 28th March 2019, 14:33   #686
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post

I have little more than a month to take a call, lets see where I end up. For now Jazz V CVT or Figo AT are the probable contenders.
The Jazz is perfect for the city / highway mix that I traverse during my daily commute. The hatch space is cavernous, and the rear seat leg space is spacious even if the front seats are pushed back to the extreme. I am getting appx 13 kmpl average with 100% AC on at Auto setting (26 C). Paddle shifts are a boon for planning overtaking maneuvers, and the cruise control helps in maintaining speed in the highways.
But i20 Asta(O) CVT (9.11 L ex showroom) offers more equipment and gizmo than Jazz VX CVT (9.12 L ex showroom).
blackasta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th March 2019, 10:43   #687
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthik_freaky View Post
Hi,
I was on the lookout for an AMT to replace my wife's 5 year old AStar Automatic(a gem of a car). Had high hopes for the Kwid, all washed away after TD. Feel Santro is not worth the premium. Now the choice is between Tiago XZA and Ignis Delta AMT. After good discounts from Tata, the Ignis is costlier only by 10k. It will be driven within city limits for school runs and shopping. Your thoughts and advise would help me decide within 2 days ( you guys know March end is the time for a bargain ).
You can probably check out the i10 Sportz AT.
Old 29th March 2019, 17:57   #688
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
The Jazz is perfect for the city / highway mix that I traverse during my daily commute. The hatch space is cavernous, and the rear seat leg space is spacious even if the front seats are pushed back to the extreme. I am getting appx 13 kmpl average with 100% AC on at Auto setting (26 C). Paddle shifts are a boon for planning overtaking maneuvers, and the cruise control helps in maintaining speed in the highways.
But i20 Asta(O) CVT (9.11 L ex showroom) offers more equipment and gizmo than Jazz VX CVT (9.12 L ex showroom).
I did read through your ownership thread and indeed Jazz seems to be a great car.

BTW test drove the elite i20 CVT as well just now. First thing, it's bloody expensive. Sports+ AT which lacks ACC, rear wipers like stuff is offered at 9.9L OTR Bangalore after some measly discounts Now the transmission is actually not as bad as I thought going by online reviews. Yes from stand still it does take sometime to pick up speeds but post that it's similar to Jazz. On kickdown the rubber band effect is pretty evident. It's like the transmission reminds you to be gentle on the throttle. Manual mode make things a little better.

Having said that, what surprised me was in the test cars the mileage between Jazz and i20 was exactly similar. 7kmpl which is not what I expected. I was expecting it to be lower in i20 going by ownership reports wherein folks mentioned getting 6.5-7 in Bangalore. But if test drive vehicles which are usually thrashed show similar mileage am not sure how different will be the real world figures. The interiors of i20 felt a little better than Jazz but the latter is more spacious no doubt. Ground clearance of i20 is a little better than Jazz and it has a rear AC vent. Phew!!! It's getting tougher by the Day.

P.S : The drive experience though was best on Aspire AT. It's by far the best engine-gearbox combo(in ATs) this side of 10L among normal cars. Polo GT is in a different league, so not considering that among these meager mortals.

Last edited by SoumenD : 29th March 2019 at 18:20.
SoumenD is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th March 2019, 12:34   #689
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
You can probably check out the i10 Sportz AT.
Had an i10 before and even the manual fetched only under 9 kmpl. I can only wonder how much the AT would give. Have booked the Ignis Delta AMT. Resale, peace of mind and a funky looking city car. I am not worried about the mileage but i10 doesn't show the performance to justify the poor mileage
Old 6th April 2019, 10:33   #690
BHPian

I am looking for a small automatic hatchback. The main requirement is that it should be very small. I consider even grand i10 and tiago big. So ruled them out. I am not impressed with alto, wagon r, celerio, kwid etc. ( No offence to the owners). The only car I liked is santro sportz AMT. However I am not very impressed with the exterior design. In my opinion its the worst design by Hyundai in the last 15 years or so. I have two queries.
1. Can we expect a car in this segment from some other player? ( Before December 2019). Does Kia have any car in its portfolio?
2. Any feedback on santro sportz AMT?. I am actually surprised to see santro settling down around 5k per month even after discontinuing eon.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks