Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2009, 21:31   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
FE is the main criteria for this car....I don't intend to sell the car till 85K KM (nearly 5-6 years). So resale value is not concern.
I too had the identical considerations when I had to buy a car last year. I eventually chose the Alto LXI and my general FE of 20.72 kmpl (seven random tank-to-tank readings in both rural/urban traffic over a period of one year, that is after the first service) certainly has me more than satisfied.

Moreover, the thought that Maruti service centres are scattered all over the place is also a major relief. A few days ago, I travelled from Goa to Bhatkal (a small port town before Udipi in Karnataka) and I was impressed by the number of Maruti service points along the route (and I even felt proud to be a Maruti car owner). I don't think I noticed even one Chevrolet service point along that route. I could be wrong on this, but the fact remains that I could find so many service centres with the all-too-familiar Maruti logo.

It's true that Maruti service centres may differ from one service point to the next, but the feeling that there ARE so many service points all over India is one major blessing to drivers like myself, who are not experts in car mechanics. I'd rather tolerate a grumpy Maruti mechanic who will repair my car in a lesser known town than to have no mechanic for your car at all.

Another reason why I purchased an Alto was the possibility that spare parts are cheap and easily available almost everywhere in the country. With over 2 lakh Alto vehicles sold between April 2008 and March 2009, you can be rest assured that most spares for this vehicle would be easier and cheaper to obtain as compared to other cars that sell in smaller quantities. Chances are also high that many third-party manufacturers would be more than willing to manufacture spares/accessories for the more popular cars such as the Alto.

Many may complain that the Alto is an "apple-cart", "rickshaw", etc, but I have had no problem with the 800 cc engine so far. I needed my Alto to take four middle-sized people with fairly generous luggage space to go from point A to B. And guess what? the Alto delivers excellently on these requirements.

Regards,
Melvyn
Old 22nd July 2009, 21:34   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
True for Alto but not For Spark. The Spark has the most peppiest engine(between Santro, i10, Alto, Wagon R) with brilliant suspension & good mileage.
Personally i have found Santro / i10 1.1 Engine to be the peppiest of the lot, followed by WagonR and then Spark.
Spark mill is revv happy and smooth though, but the bottom end response is somewhat disappointing, specially with AC on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
WagonR is 1.1. Time to even compare about it,its too old and what do you get for 3.5 lac you pay? A-Star would be a more sensible buy and A-Star is what Alto's plus points plus what Alto didnt have: more power !
Its still a sensible buy, specially if one's priority is practicality. There is no other car in that segment having a total of 15 storage spaces/cubbyholes (including the 4 big door pockets) and to add to it the biggest boot space of the lot. Not to forget legendary Maruti after sales and solid build (its the only Maruti that does NOT rattle).

Last edited by DCEite : 22nd July 2009 at 21:44.
Old 22nd July 2009, 21:58   #18
BHPian

Well, at first I was looking for a Spark LPG or Wagon R Duo since my running will be high and FE is a major concern. But soon realized that many members here actually stopped using LPG after price hike of LPG - as there is not much difference between LPG and Petrol. Also in Petrol the car will be much more responsive.
So, started to look into Alto seriously- considering its phenomenal FE Maruti A.S.S (peace of mind).
Nobody in the family or friend circle recommending an Indica (reason-TATA vehicle!).

BTW I'm getting a Wagon R VXi, 2005, 25000KM @2.2L from Maruti true value - is it a sensible buy?

Last edited by archat68 : 22nd July 2009 at 21:59.
Old 22nd July 2009, 22:09   #19
Senior - BHPian

The Matiz was one of the most successful cars of its time in India.

The Spark is no different. Gm sells about 3K Spark's every month.

So Spares shouldnt be an issue with so many units sold. Also spares are cheap for which you need to worry after 3 years.

Also GM is back from bankruptcy so its going nowhere anytime soon. On top of it GM India is gearing up to launch 4 new cars in the next two years.

The engine is a gem with all the hi-tech involved and it has always brought a smile when I drove one.

My friend was looking at a cheap car and I was the only one to suggest spark compared to 99.9% of others who suggested everything from Maruti and Hyundai to a TATA. He listened to me and is a happy guy today.

PS: Dont think about resale if you want to be happy. A gm will never re-sell like a maruti or a hyundai.

Now you decide if you want the spark or not.
Old 22nd July 2009, 23:19   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
The Matiz was one of the most successful cars of its time in India
Yes, until Daewoo suddenly disappeared and left its loyal customers to frantically hunt for service points and spare parts. I too had a Matiz and I loved the car. However, I had to sell the car when reality hit me. Much as I liked the car (the heart-factor) , I had to struggle to find a Matiz mechanic in my area (Goa) and the thought of an inter-state drive was simply too risky (the brain-factor).

When GM took over Matiz, many of us Matizers were hopeful that GM would provide service and spares to Matiz cars as well. We thought that with the "successful" Matiz car in India, service and spare parts business would be lucrative for GM. Tragically, GM simply ignored Matiz cars in India and left Matiz owners in the lurch. As a result, I vowed never to buy a Spark (the heart-factor) no matter how good the car is (brain-factor) or how similar it was/is to Matiz. It is my way of protesting against GM's decision to ignore Matiz owners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
The Matiz was one of the most successful cars of its time in India....The Spark is no different. Gm sells about 3K Spark's every month.
In my opinion, the word "successful" is rather relative in the automobile industry in India. If you consider Spark to be "successful" by virtue of its 3K sales, what would you classify the Alto, which continuously sells about 20K cars each month?

Last edited by misquitas : 22nd July 2009 at 23:23.
Old 23rd July 2009, 08:09   #21
Senior - BHPian

Can anybody post the real pics of new beige interior in Spark? Personally I do not like it. When asked sales guy told old interior is stopped completely. How difficult is to maintain beige interior? After a long search for a good used car I am reconsidering Spark. How about this deal? 3.6 on the road for LT variant in Bangalore
Old 23rd July 2009, 08:19   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
After a long search for a good used car I am reconsidering Spark. How about this deal? 3.6 on the road for LT variant in Bangalore
Check the post that I have started, on my new Spark, don't know the tech way to point you to it, but it is still on the front pages. Should be informative.
Old 23rd July 2009, 11:29   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
Well, at first I was looking for a Spark LPG or Wagon R Duo since my running will be high and FE is a major concern. But soon realized that many members here actually stopped using LPG after price hike of LPG - as there is not much difference between LPG and Petrol. Also in Petrol the car will be much more responsive.
So, started to look into Alto seriously- considering its phenomenal FE Maruti A.S.S (peace of mind).
Nobody in the family or friend circle recommending an Indica (reason-TATA vehicle!).

BTW I'm getting a Wagon R VXi, 2005, 25000KM @2.2L from Maruti true value - is it a sensible buy?
Archat,

I would say - stick to the Alto.

But, if you are considering a second hand car - do take along a friend/ mechanic who knows his cars. It is very easy to end up with a lemon if you are not very knowledgeable. The good part is that you can get fantastic deals on used cars!

And while on the second hand front, you could even consider a diesel vehicle - Indica/ Ikon or Palio. I am sure you would be within your budget. Yes, all these three have A.S.S horror stories. But I do believe that TASS is pulling up its socks rapidly. Ford...hmmm...welll....

You should do a comparo with a second hand diesel since your running is really high. It is completely diesel territory! IMHO.

Cheers!
Old 23rd July 2009, 12:42   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Personally i have found Santro / i10 1.1 Engine to be the peppiest of the lot, followed by WagonR and then Spark.
Spark mill is revv happy and smooth though, but the bottom end response is somewhat disappointing, specially with AC on.
Yes the 1.1. hyundai motor is peppy too but keeping the smaller Spark engine in mind its very peppy & frugal, AC doesnt have too much impact atleast not as much as Alto.

Quote:
Its still a sensible buy, specially if one's priority is practicality. There is no other car in that segment having a total of 15 storage spaces/cubbyholes (including the 4 big door pockets) and to add to it the biggest boot space of the lot. Not to forget legendary Maruti after sales and solid build (its the only Maruti that does NOT rattle).
Wagon R has good space especially the cubby holes but the ride & handling is not as good Santro/i10/Spark.

Even my Alto doesnt Rattle & neither does M800

Anyways if you are not comfortable with Spark's *** then you can also consider Zen Estilo as its cheaper than Wagon R & I have found it better in handling than the Wagon R.

Last edited by Technocrat : 23rd July 2009 at 12:44.
Old 23rd July 2009, 13:05   #25
BHPian

second hand car

I was also against an used car at first.

But the Wagon R, I was talking about is from Maruti True Value. So should be O.K. They also provides 1 year warranty and 3 free services. Although their price is a bit on the higher side than the market price. But in this case @2.2L the Wagon R Vxi, 2005, 25K KM seems O.K to me.

Many people has advised me not to buy an used diesel car. Also stories about TASS is bothering me.

I have a Zen '99 ( yes - almost 10 years old). The car has done 83K KM till today. Even after being discontinued for about 4 years, till now I'm not worried about its service or spare parts availability. spares are very cheap and no service was required in past 10 years that is very costly. In case of breakdown in the middle of a isolated street you always get a mechanic nearby who can get your car running. This is the most assuring thing with Maruti and also to some degree with Hyundai.

Although the cars themselves are good, sadly the GM A.S.S does not gives you same degree of confidence.
Old 23rd July 2009, 13:43   #26
Senior - BHPian

Hi Archat,

Sorry to have missed this thread earlier. Of all the cars you have shortlisted, the spark is definitely the best and most VFM. I've personally tested all A-Segment cars and think that its the most spacious, stable and feature packed. If you want to go in for it, I'd say go right ahead!

As far as After Sales Service is concerned, GM is taking very serious steps to revamp its service network all over the country. Rest assured that you wont have a very disappointing experience.

A senior guy in GM Kolkata happens to be a B-School buddy. If you think he'll be of any help, PM me and I'll send you his contact number.
Old 23rd July 2009, 14:19   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Wagon R has good space especially the cubby holes but the ride & handling is not as good Santro/i10/Spark.
Agree about the handling part the ride quality specially at rear is way ahead of Santro, and you would be surprised if i say that its better than even i10, which again is bumpy at rear.
But the Spark has the best ride of all, there is not an iota of doubt about that.
Old 23rd July 2009, 20:24   #28
BHPian

Backseat ride of i10

Quote:
Agree about the handling part the ride quality specially at rear is way ahead of Santro, and you would be surprised if i say that its better than even i10, which again is bumpy at rear.
As a regular occupier of the back seat of i10, I agree with DCEite. The ride is stiff, bumpy and there is a tendency of body roll after each bump. This occurs even if the rear seat is fully occupied (2.8 persons). I thought it is a defect of the particular car we own. I have reported this in my initial ownership review in the appropriate thread. But with the input of DCEite, I now tend to think it may be generic.
Any Ayes and Nays?
However, if the car to be purchased would carry rear seat passengers only occasionally, the above may not be important. Moreover, I have not travelled in the back seat of spark and can not compare.
Cheers.
Old 23rd July 2009, 20:40   #29
Senior - BHPian

I thought so too till I test drove the new Wagon R, it felt almost like a boat when compared to the other three. Not sure if that piece was bad.
Old 23rd July 2009, 20:55   #30
BHPian

Talking of interior of Wagon-R and Spark then Spark definately has more rear seat space than Wagon-R. Wagon-R was introduced as a 4-seater and suddenly with no change in dimensions it was suddenly declared as a 5 seater.

Rgds
Vikrant

Most Viewed