Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2009, 15:24   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drchernish View Post
just came back after test driving punto diesel.WOW.it doesnt feel like a diesel car.the clutch was soo light and good driving manners.
That's exactly what I said on this thread earlier. Fiat has made the Punto far easier to drive then the Palio - I drove a S10 for over 5 years and 72,000kms, I should know!

Quote:
but its kind of big for wifey i think.
These are things you get used to with every day that you spend with the car. Maybe she thinks that way because of it's larger turning radius but did she notice the larger turning radius? If not, then it's not bothering her and that's very good news .

Another thing I have noticed is that when you are inside the Punto's cabin, it almost feels like the cabin has snuggled you in - the driving environment is very sporty and cosy.
Old 19th July 2009, 16:27   #32
BHPian

Hi,

If you have liked the light clutch of Punto, try out the vista quadrajet. It has even better clutch and the same engine is more responsive in Vista than punto. (This is the best engine in a swift as Suzuki know how to tune the engine properly). Also the vista quadrajet anniversary edition if available is the best VFM along with the aura model as they provide all the required accessories like power steering, power windows, rear wiper and integrated decent ICE.

Check out the vista - but A.S.S is a problem and be aware of that.
Old 19th July 2009, 16:40   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by profold View Post
Shouldn't one list out the requirements before shortlisting the models?

IMHO, the requirements are:

Essentials (not in any specific order, all are musts)

1) Small size (less parking effort, must share the parking space with at least two other

cars)
2) Reasonable capital investment (under 6 Lakh on road)

3) Pleasure to drive (Power steering)

4) Ride comfort - (decent suspension, good seats with lumber support, Adjustable steering)

5) Lower running cost /km (LNG/CNG?Diesel)

6) Driver convenience (power windows, in cabin RVM control, central

locking, ease of ingress-outgress)

7) Cheerful interior with scope for personalization

8) ABS

9) Distinguished external looks (not run-of the mill)

Desirable

1) rear wiper and defogger
2) Airbags
3) Good factory fitted ICE
4) Hassle free ownership for about 5 years
5) Good Resale value
6) Automatic transmission

Hopefully the above would further shorten the suggested shortlists and narrow down the search.
If no model survives the checklist, some of the "essential" features need to be trimmed.
Cheers
Since its women driven, i guess Ritz should be the one. I consider it for
1. Ease of driving
2. New looks
3. Proven Diesel Engine
4. Maruti Service Network
5. Good Resale Value (Considering only the Maruti Brand Name)
6. Hassle free ownership ( Considering the A.S.S)

I Vote the Punto out mainly because of the fact that its serviced by Tata. Though I loved the looks and feel of it.
Old 19th July 2009, 22:50   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
That's right. Strange omission from Maruti.
The Ritz Vdi does have an internal boot release lever.
Old 19th July 2009, 23:40   #35
Senior - BHPian

Get her a Getz CRDi Teach here to drive better and safer. Bring her to TBHP ! Let the lady have fun too.
Old 20th July 2009, 01:00   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurni76 View Post
The Ritz Vdi does have an internal boot release lever.
I'll be glad if it's there. Is it located at the normal place beside the drivers seat?
The ZXi I checked did not have it. The salesmen (checked 2 different dealers) could not find it.
Old 20th July 2009, 01:22   #37
BHPian

go for a Ritz diesel dude.
Old 20th July 2009, 06:52   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
@Shuvc: Would the Swift boot lever not be capable of being retrofitted?

@Chernish ji: This thread completely beats me. WHY DIESEL?

Don't get me wrong - I'll complete almost 21.7k in my nine months of ownership. However, please realise that excepting getz diesel and the costlier i20, none of the cars will have the refinement and FUN of a clean petrol car. You want a city car for the wife basically (and kanpur isnt huge like delhi/mumbai)

and we at team-bhp just love inflating budgets or preaching diesels. nonsense.

Honestly, I'd say do two things - take an i10 1.2 into the city as well as Swift.
See the pain while crawling, as well as the sheer fun of stepping on the gas when required. the turbo lag etc in MJD diesels can be a pain!
Good to see this point about petrols being made so well. Petrols are also less maintenance intensive in a start stop driving environment. The i10 is a fantastic car to drive in the city. Ride at the back is a little unsettled, but the two front passengers are treated very well. The other great thing about the i10 is the huge range of price points it is available for - the one with the older engine is also an excellent buy, if not fully featured. And the well built interiors will both appeal, and stay that way longer as long as you drive the car with the windows up all the time. Finally, it is only car that is made in India as part of a ground up developed global manufacturing strategy, and that is visible in the quality of the car. Hyundai after sales are also perhaps the best in the segment, and lot more lady friendly than many others.
Old 20th July 2009, 07:04   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drchernish View Post
n to top it al its diesel so you dont worry about petrol prices n just enjoy the drive.also you will probably be thinking about an excuse to go somewhere in the car if there is driving pleasure ,refinement plus economy of diesel.....
Buy a cheaper petrol, and keep the money saved in a separate bank account for paying just the petrol bills. That way you will get free petrol for anywhere for a year to three years, depending on the amount you save, and the kms driven. Apart from the maintenance savings over the life of the car in start stop conditions. For all that we like to criticize the average Indian car buyer for his ignorance, there also must be some reason why the latest Ritz petrol cars are comfortably outselling the diesels. Quite honestly, the diesels still make the most sense for long distance drives on a daily basis, which is why the taxi trade loves them.
Old 20th July 2009, 07:35   #40
Senior - BHPian

I dont see the point of people who say fun is to be had only while driving a petrol, or even if there is fun to be had, the petrols are still better.
And I say thats nonsense. Of all the econo hatches I've driven, I found all of them anemic. The only petrol car which i felt was not underpowered was my boss's ikon 1.6, and yes, he let me rip it

I bought a diesel car for an annual running of 12,000k, and I feel that I've been justified. The reasons for diesel are not entirely nonsense.

for the entire truth
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...vs-diesel.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...vs-diesel.html

Last edited by greenhorn : 20th July 2009 at 07:40.
Old 20th July 2009, 07:58   #41
Senior - BHPian

Also consider the gear shifting required in a MJD diesel vs a petrol.

PS: You are free to calculate the extra usage "if its a diesel" like you said - say 500km/month - even that won't tilt the ownership cost balance!
PPS: Greenie, you didnt have the 1.2 i10 then, didja?
Old 20th July 2009, 10:35   #42
Senior - BHPian

Punto->i20->Getz.
Any hyundia make will fill your garage with Hyundai stable.
Old 20th July 2009, 10:40   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsagar View Post
Punto->i20->Getz.
Any hyundia make will fill your garage with Hyundai stable.
Wouldnt your current level of satisfaction with the make decide whether that is a bad thing?
Old 20th July 2009, 11:02   #44
BHPian

i have full faith in hyundai service,after owning 2 hyundai cars-If hyundai had diesel in i10 would have taken that-i20 becomes two costly.as per reviews ritz shouldnt be expensive to own n service.waiting for that test drive.
Old 20th July 2009, 11:07   #45
Senior - BHPian

My final piece of advice - let your wife decide, once you decide the budget!

Most Viewed