Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2009, 14:24   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
Thanks. What F.E are you getting. I've heard of F.E around 10-12 for i10 in City driving. The spark seems to give around 14km/l in city. Thats another aspect that adds to the VFM PAckage. We still like the i10 kappa engine for its smoothness and power.
My i10 kappa magna give me around 14 KMPL in the city. Yes it does give good F.E. Again I would like to reiterate that getting good F.E from any vehicle depends upon ones driving abilities. You could come across many happy i10 owners, and also you could come across unhappy ones but end of the day every car would have its pros and cons. We as buyers need to thoroughly analyse our needs and choose car accordingly. So do a thorough analysis of your requirement and depending on it take TDs of all the cars that you have short listed, take your own time and do not hurry up things, there would be offers and discounts at any time of the year, so happy hunting.
Old 20th July 2009, 14:46   #17
BHPian

For a budget of 4.5 L you can get the Spark LT OP. It comes with driver side airbag, Alloy Wheels and ABS!
Old 20th July 2009, 15:41   #18
BHPian

Can't compare them as have only driven Spark. But Spark is a beatiful car to drive. My younger brother owns it for last couple of years and he has done 3 Ahmedabad-Bangalore runs so far.

Except being great on highways, the car has excellent low end torque. With A/C running you can drive at the speeds of 20 in the forth gear. I haven't come across more peppy car.

IMHO it is not at all underpowered. It is fun to drive for sure.

Last edited by akbaree : 20th July 2009 at 15:44.
Old 20th July 2009, 15:55   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post

Thanks. What F.E are you getting. I've heard of F.E around 10-12 for i10 in City driving. The spark seems to give around 14km/l in city. Thats another aspect that adds to the VFM PAckage. We still like the i10 kappa engine for its smoothness and power.
I drive most of the time from bumper to bumper traffic conditions and end up getting a mileage of around 12.75-13 .. this is the figure with AC on for more than 70% of time ... In highways I get around 16-17 again with 75% AC... I guess these are not very bad figures ...
Old 20th July 2009, 17:26   #20
Senior - BHPian

THanks a lot to all of you. So i think its gonna be a close call with both cars getting almost similar responses. I think the deciding factor would come to ow much money you want to save from the 4.5L budget

Well let that wait until we do the test drives and get the quotes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp2u View Post
Why don't you check the Astar, it has all what you are looking for, 4.5 OTR for ZXI with has safety (Airbags & ABS) + comfort. FE is just great, i heard from my friend da it gives a minimum of 15-16KMPL in city with 100% AC on. A.S.S is also cheap. what else do you need
Are you sure it gives that kind of F.E? That would be great. Just sounds too good to believe. AS of now we are not looking at the A-Star since we both are not happy with its looks. It looks elephant like from the front and is much worse from the back. Not sure how they came up with such a design (Personal Opinion). However if it gives that kind of mileage figures i think we could ignore the looks. Is it cramped in the back as in swift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100BHP View Post
I just bought one and for any further feedback, PM pls
What F.E are you getting on the spark? Did you get he LPG one or the petrol one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
For that level of spend, the i10 is a much better buy. If you want to go for a Spark, the lower end ones make a lot more sense, and you ought to save over a lakh if you do that. That is what I did. It does not make sense to spend Rs 4.5 lakhs on a spark. But as a city runabout, the spark is perfect. Some here have also done longer highway trips in one, but I suspect the i10 may be better suited for that.
True. Very True. I hink even on the LT variant we would get a savings of around 50K than the i10 based on the current offers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
Why? I just found out this http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...lhi-spark.html from a fellow BHPian.
Great thread. Thanks for sharing. That guy is amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akbaree View Post
Can't compare them as have only driven Spark. But Spark is a beatiful car to drive. My younger brother owns it for last couple of years and he has done 3 Ahmedabad-Bangalore runs so far.
Any updates on the F.E side. Just wanna know how it fares with the i10.
Old 20th July 2009, 18:14   #21
Senior - BHPian

The Spark has better FE, I have two cousins in Pune, one has Spark & other has i10 Kappa
Old 20th July 2009, 18:15   #22
Senior - BHPian

On FE, the spark is significantly better. In proportion to how much its engine is smaller, really. That is what makes it a great city car, you are only buying as much as you really need. Saving capital and recurring costs by doing that. My reason for recommending the lower end versions is that I do not think that the bells and whistles are worth the prices paid. And at this price segment, the quality of these will mean more chances of things like center locks and power windows going wrong. It took me just two days to get used to manual locking and windows. The car is so small, it is easy to reach across for this too.
Good luck with your decision making!
Old 20th July 2009, 18:24   #23
BHPian

FE of i10 and spark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
The Spark has better FE, I have two cousins in Pune, one has Spark & other has i10 Kappa
Many i-10 kappa owners like me would be grateful if reliable FE data on these two (spark and i10 kappa cars on the same city traffic condition can be posted. Thanks & cheers
Old 20th July 2009, 18:41   #24
Senior - BHPian

Sure, from what they tell, The Spark gives 14-16 kpl in City while the i10 kappa gives 12-14. This is with 70% ac in Pune City.
Old 20th July 2009, 18:52   #25
BHPian

Spark's FE would definitely be better than i10 kappa. So if your concern is only FE then you should go ahead and book Spark. If you are looking for good ride quality, better build quality and of course good interiors then you should contemplate i10 kappa.
Old 25th July 2009, 09:12   #26
BHPian

The spark has a fantastic ride quality (best in its segment if I may say so), IMHO with their unbeatable 3 year guarantee (and I do think GM are here to stay) , its a deal clincher. Besides, its cute looks are just so adorable.
Old 25th July 2009, 09:34   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takumi-san View Post
The spark has a fantastic ride quality (best in its segment if I may say so), IMHO with their unbeatable 3 year guarantee (and I do think GM are here to stay) , its a deal clincher. Besides, its cute looks are just so adorable.
I agree with all of the above. Right down to the cute. It is a smiling car, and I like cars that smile. The i10 looks stern, and the santro is positively grumpy looking
I think that the interiors are nice too, but I managed to get the last of the grey and am not so sure about the beige. But some folks love the beige too.
Old 25th July 2009, 15:00   #28
BHPian

Spark beats everybody in VFM car in small cat segment. Just had 1 year servicing done. Amount spent on it other than petrol "ZERO" . I get a consistent average of 14-15kmpl in Pune city traffic with 100% A/C (I can't think of driving with my windows rolled down in this kind of pollution) . After-sales nothing to complain about very courteous and helpful.
Old 25th July 2009, 15:11   #29
BHPian

besides, if the build quality were anything but a stupendous high quality, GM would be ruined just because of their warranty promise which has them paying for all these problems. Not to mention the customers complains. These by their absence prove that build quality is also rocking (the 5000km trip by a fellow member on this forum speaks tons).

Mind you, I am not a GM fanboy. You may definitely call me a Spark fan though. I havent compared with the Kappa engine simply because I am not in India and regretfully havent been able to test that beauty of an engine. But despite this, based on prices / looks and a lot of other data that I do know from experience, I would recommend the Spark.
Old 25th July 2009, 15:26   #30
Senior - BHPian

You must check out the i10 Kappa when you are back. The engine/gearbox combination is really a slick revelation. I am not sure that the K series in the Ritz is as good. My wife did not like the i10 all that much, particularly the rear ride, but the car is also another good car. Overpriced compared to the Spark, and in that sense we Spark owners are benefited by GMs issues. May more companies ride the cliff edge without falling off it so we can keep benefitting like this!
PS: I notice that discussions about all cars other than one brand that shall not be named, tend to be calm and rational. Why is that?!!

Last edited by Sawyer : 25th July 2009 at 15:29. Reason: PS
Closed Thread

Most Viewed