Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2009, 22:15   #1
Senior - BHPian

i10Kappa Magna or Spark LT

My Friend is seriously looking around for a car within the range of Rs.4.5lakh OTR . The competition is between the i10 Kappa which he could get the magna variant at that price. In case of the Spark he could get the LT variant and save some money too probably for ICE or a good set of alloys.

What would you guys suggest among the two. His priorities are Comfort, F.E, Hassle Free, and sufficient Highway capabilities in order of priority.

It would mostly be used in city with just two people sitting in front. There would be an occasional (Twice a YEar) 500km highway trip with 3-4 people.

We would be visiting the showroom next week for test drive an to get a quote on OTR prices. Just wanted to get some inputs from owners and experts before we take the plunge. Also are we missing on any good options at this price range.
Old 19th July 2009, 23:14   #2
Senior - BHPian

Just sit in both. i10 is all new and you feel a class up.
And he is looking at the new Matiz which is underpowered and has that odo for the rear passenger to read?

But Spark should be VFM with the packages they have now. Just get it written from the sales guys that they wont drop the price to a Nano's in future.

Highway what? Forget Spark !
Old 20th July 2009, 00:10   #3
BHPian

I am a pretty much satisfied i10 customer .. Its a wonderful car .. Nice interiors ... The ladies like this part more than anything else .. Pretty peppy for city rides. In highways pretty stable @ the speed of 100kmph. I would suggest to for Magna as in the sportz version the inbuilt music system is not so great.

Spark though offers a good VFM but still a lot of question marks on the A.S.S part . Highways in Spark will not be a very good idea .. But the high end spark offers lot of features @ a lower price ..

Good luck to your friend.
Old 20th July 2009, 10:38   #4
BHPian

Hi gemithomas,

I am a satisfied i10 magna 1.2 customer as well. I bought i10 after considering all the similar cars in its segment. I have clocked 3100 KM till now. Most of my driving has been on the highways since I usually travel down to my hometown every weekend. As per your requirements, i10 magna kappa has the following

1. Comfort: It is very comfortable. It is comfortable for 4 fully grown adults. It has got the best interiors (subjective, if you would only like beige interiors). Hyundai has used best plastics for this car.
2. F.E: I get 19 KMPL on the highways with No AC. The F.E might drop by 2 KMPL if I use 100% A.C on the highways. Within the city I get 14 KMPL with 100 % AC. (F.E also depends upon ones driving practices). Some people complain about i10 F.E but I have been getting good F.E from my i10.
3. Hassle Free: So far so good. I have not faced any problems till now. Couple of months before I completed my 1st service.
4. Sufficient Highway capabilities: i10 magna kappa has got good highway capabilities. During my highway travels, I have continuously crossed 120 KMph. Most of the times I restrict myself to 90KMPH since I want good F.E from my car.

On a whole i10 is a good package. Hyundai has got good A.S.S but I doubt about Chevrolet. I don’t know spark’s performance on the highways. Take thorough test drives of both i10 and spark. Drive both within the city and on the highways, with your family sitting at the rear and then decide which one you will want to go for.
Old 20th July 2009, 11:12   #5
BHPian

Go for Indica vista rather

Go for Indica vista rather.

You will surly love it, also much cheaper on Pocket
Old 20th July 2009, 12:20   #6
Senior - BHPian

why not i10 ERA 1.1 irde ?

Spark is a good car, but considering the condition which GM is currently in, I would advise you to stay away from Spark.

To add to your confusion, have you considered the i10 ERA 1.1 irde ?

The i10 ERA 1.1 irde has a peppier engine, which is great for city driving and satisfactory for the occasional highway trip. (On the highway, the kappa engine definitely has the upper hand)

I suggest that you take a TD of both i10 ERA 1.1 irde and i10 kappa, I'm sure you would feel the difference.

Also, contrary to what Hyundai advertises, the FE of the kappa engine is no better (or even worse) than the 1.1 irde.

There is a considerable price difference between 1.1 ERA and 1.2 MAGNA. If you opt for 1.1 ERA, you could splurge the extra cash on some good ICE and alloys.

In my humble opinion, i10 ERA 1.1 irde perfectly meets your requirements:
1. Comfort - Yes
2. FE - Satisfactory
3. Hassle free - Yes
4. Highway capability - Satisfactory

Finally, you could also check out Maruti Ritz if your budget permits.

Do let us know what you decided.

Rohan,
Bangalore
Old 20th July 2009, 12:56   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
And he is looking at the new Matiz which is underpowered and has that odo for the rear passenger to read?
Thanks JK. The aspect that is pulling us towards the spark is the low price, the 3 yr service warranty and the ride quality. Overall think the i10 would be better but should we really spend that extra money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_boy View Post
I am a pretty much satisfied i10 customer .. Its a wonderful car .. Nice interiors ... The ladies like this part more than anything else .. Pretty peppy for city rides. In highways pretty stable @ the speed of 100kmph. I would suggest to for Magna as in the sportz version the inbuilt music system is not so great.
Thanks. What F.E are you getting. I've heard of F.E around 10-12 for i10 in City driving. The spark seems to give around 14km/l in city. Thats another aspect that adds to the VFM PAckage. We still like the i10 kappa engine for its smoothness and power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabsubs View Post
Hi gemithomas,

I am a satisfied i10 magna 1.2 customer as well. I bought i10 after considering all the similar cars in its segment. I have clocked 3100 KM till now. Most of my driving has been on the highways since I usually travel down to my hometown every weekend. As per your requirements, i10 magna kappa has the following
Thats real good F.E figures. I thought the i10 kappa gave only around 10-12. HAve you had any problems with the gear. Have heard the initial i10's ha a gear issue. Has it been solved in the newer variants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 View Post
Go for Indica vista rather.
You will surly love it, also much cheaper on Pocket
DOnt want TATA service. Thats why TATA and FIAT are out. (Atleast till we test drive the GP. )
But mostly we might decide to stay away from their service since his old father and mother would be the only people to take care of the car mostly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
The i10 ERA 1.1 irde has a peppier engine, which is great for city driving and satisfactory for the occasional highway trip. (On the highway, the kappa engine definitely has the upper hand)

Finally, you could also check out Maruti Ritz if your budget permits.
Did not really like the 1.1 when i test drove it when it was launched. ANyways will do a comparo before deciding.

Ritz is costly for us.
Old 20th July 2009, 12:59   #8
BHPian

I suggest go for the i10, it's much better than the spark in my view. The feeling inside the i10 is much better than the spark and i10 feels much better put together with better quality of materials as well.

Last edited by musicmanaman : 20th July 2009 at 13:10.
Old 20th July 2009, 13:09   #9
Senior - BHPian

For that level of spend, the i10 is a much better buy. If you want to go for a Spark, the lower end ones make a lot more sense, and you ought to save over a lakh if you do that. That is what I did. It does not make sense to spend Rs 4.5 lakhs on a spark. But as a city runabout, the spark is perfect. Some here have also done longer highway trips in one, but I suspect the i10 may be better suited for that.
Old 20th July 2009, 13:17   #10
BHPian

Quote:

But Spark should be VFM with the packages they have now. Just get it written from the sales guys that they wont drop the price to a Nano's in future.

Spark has good highway dynamics, steering though feel a bit light at speeds more than 90Kmph.
Go for LS variant in Biege interiors now (also comes with factory fitted LPG)
It is full 1 lac cheaper than i10 and comfortable, silent and very good AC also (even in Delhi summers)
For that much saving and 3 yr maintenance package, its a one way purchase

I just bought one and for any further feedback, PM pls
Old 20th July 2009, 13:23   #11
Senior - BHPian

One cant go wrong with the both the cars, have driven both over 800 kms.

Spark btw is a very capable Highway car. Spark is more Fun to drive than the Kappa.

The kappa has better interiors & more quality feel to it. Also can be ICEd better since Spark only has option to put 4 inch speakers on dash & putting 6.5 inch speakers on doors is almost impossible.

Both cars are equally spacious.
Old 20th July 2009, 13:29   #12
BHPian

Why don't you check the Astar, it has all what you are looking for, 4.5 OTR for ZXI with has safety (Airbags & ABS) + comfort. FE is just great, i heard from my friend da it gives a minimum of 15-16KMPL in city with 100% AC on. A.S.S is also cheap. what else do you need

Last edited by jp2u : 20th July 2009 at 13:35.
Old 20th July 2009, 13:39   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp2u View Post
what else do you need
How about being able to see whats on the road you are driving on?! when I sat in it, and I am 6ft, I felt very limited in terms of what I could see, particularly the blind spots where the two ORVMs reside. Personally, I just thought it compromised too much on safety for me.
Old 20th July 2009, 13:52   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

I am a satisfied i10 Kappa user from last 8 months during which our i10 has done only about 2800kms and never been on a highway till date.

It's got great interiors, good quality plastics and feels nicely built and rides and handles quite well. Except for it's poor FE ( we get 11kmpl in city conditions with my wife who just learnt driving using the car most of the time) we love our white angel
Old 20th July 2009, 13:59   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Why? I just found out this http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...lhi-spark.html from a fellow BHPian.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks