Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2009, 21:50   #1
BHPian

i10 Kappa or Ritz Lxi or Used Vista QJD - Which one to buy : An interesting dilemma

Folks:
Here is my dilemma.
After a month long research and TDs, I zeroed myself into two cars - i10 magna 1.2 kappa and Ritz Lxi. Both of them are going to cost me approx 4.5 lacs OTR in hyderabad.
But yesterday, one of my close relative made me an offer to buy his 1 month old Vista QJD AQUA (odo = just 82 KM). He has quoted 4.5 lacs for his car. Now, I am unable to make up my mind. Should I go for brand new petrol car (i10 or Ritz) or accept my relative's offer.Since he is leaving the country by the end of this month, I have to make a decision ASAP.
Can someone please help me on this?
~Mohandas
Old 21st July 2009, 22:03   #2
Senior - BHPian

Before and during your month long research and TDs, you must have identified some factors/criteria that made you choose the i10 and Ritz. Are those being met by the Vista? If yes, then go for it, else stick with your original choices. Nothing is worse than an "if only" feeling, specially where lakhs of rupees are concerned :-)

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 21st July 2009, 22:06   #3
Senior - BHPian

It depends on the usage. If your monthly running is around 1000km+ then diesel would be apt. Also if space is the criteria go for your relative's Vista. Or else i10 would do the better option.
Old 21st July 2009, 22:08   #4
Senior - BHPian

like i said elsewhere , a new car is going to be hit by initial depreciation hard. 4.5 is still not low enough
Old 21st July 2009, 22:28   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohandas View Post
Folks:
But yesterday, one of my close relative made me an offer to buy his 1 month old Vista QJD AQUA (odo = just 82 KM). He has quoted 4.5 lacs for his car.
May I ask why?
Why is selling his car so soon?
Old 21st July 2009, 23:38   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsar56 View Post
May I ask why?
Why is selling his car so soon?
Read his post once again. Reason is clearly mentioned.
Old 21st July 2009, 23:51   #7
Senior - BHPian

It all depends upon your usage. As somebody mentioned, if its more than 1K kms per month, go for diesel. Else go for either of petrol cars you have listed.
This is the first major criteria for going into diesel or petrol.

Next is, if you have decided into diesel, look for on road price of Ritz DDiS and other diesel car/s. If the price is around Vista QJD, then go for a brand new car. Its better to go in for a brand new car then.
Old 22nd July 2009, 07:10   #8
BHPian

Always go for a for a brand new car, you can't negotiate with a relative if something goes wrong in the future, you might think that it may harm your relation and all those stuffs will come in to play.

Its better that you go ahead and book you new car.
Old 22nd July 2009, 08:31   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Before and during your month long research and TDs, you must have identified some factors/criteria that made you choose the i10 and Ritz. Are those being met by the Vista? If yes, then go for it, else stick with your original choices. Nothing is worse than an "if only" feeling, specially where lakhs of rupees are concerned :-)

Cheers,
Vikram
+1 to what CN said. More over if you think you'll enjoy driving vista then go for it. There is no point in buying a car that you'll be driving but not enjoying it.
Old 22nd July 2009, 09:54   #10
BHPian

Rightly said, there is no point in buying a car from your relative unless you enjoy the drive. My advice to you would be, take a test drive of QJD and compare the prices of new ones. If its matter of few thousands, suggest you go for a new one. Plus that few thousands would still narrow down considering the expenses towards transfer of ownership in RC Book and the insurance papers.
Old 22nd July 2009, 10:20   #11
BHPian

you could get a brand new indica vista terra qjd at round about that price dude.
Its ALWAYS BETTER to go in for a new car for that price.
Old 22nd July 2009, 10:31   #12
Team-BHP Support

How close is this relative to you?

Try working out a deal like this.Assuming he will come back to the country.
Pay him about 30k for the first year.
20k from the second year onwards.

Return the car to him when he comes back.

Of course replace 30 and 20k as I just picked the number from thin air.
Old 22nd July 2009, 11:36   #13

Hi Mohandas,

On reading your post, prima facie i felt the following:
  1. Your relative is asking too much for the Indica quadrajet. The on-road price of quadrajet aura is ~ 4.72 lacs (source website). Tata is giving 10K discount without even bargaining when I enquired couple of months back. During the november/december timeframe you are bound to get 30K-45K discount on the final on-road price. Nextly its a second hand-car when you buy and so the price would drop by as much as 15-20% if one has to sell it outside. So you should get the same bargain. 3.7 - 3.9 lacs should be a fair price.
  2. From the relationship point of view, if the car does trouble you or has manufacturing defect(s), the relationship on personal front can be damaged.
  3. On the vehicle front, you will get much more space and travel comfort in Vista when compared to i10 or Ritz.
  4. The plastic quality of ritz and indica vista are both comparable and there is marginal difference between them.
  5. Vista aura quadrajet is the most feature rich and VFM among the 3. Looks are subjective and interiors - you'd be the best judge having seen all the 3 cars and test driven them.
  6. Being diesel and if you are driving around 1000+ kms per month, there would be a saving of ~1200 per month on fuel alone. Tata service may not be the best, but indica vista has low maintainence cost like only 4 visits in 3 years to workshop for scheduled free service which are free of cost except consumables. That would take care of 30000 kms of running of the car. Ritz and i10 may be comparable but hyundai spares are costlier than maruti or Tata.
  7. Saving ~ Rs. 1200 per month would mean saving ~ Rs. 43200 in 3 years of ownership, which is substantial considering the vehicle segment.
My take: go for Indica vista of your relative, if the price is dropped to the range I mentioned above. If you cannot bargain, then just refuse to buy for now. Selling in open market won't fetch anything more than that range. Going forward you can buy at the price it is getting fetched at the market. So have patience and you will get a sweet deal.
Old 22nd July 2009, 13:37   #14
BHPian

dont forget you would be paying a higher rate of interest on the loan of a used car then the new car. (Typically 4-5 % higher). include this in your calculations before you decide.
Old 22nd July 2009, 13:41   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by malgudi View Post
dont forget you would be paying a higher rate of interest on the loan of a used car then the new car. (Typically 4-5 % higher). include this in your calculations before you decide.
Unless until he wants to go in for a full cash payment or part payments to his relative itself, while the relative closes the loan.

Considering the relative has taken a loan as well, banks are very stringent on pre closure charges. If the vehicle is less than 6 months old, which I want to believe, typically the pre closure charges is between 7-10% of outstanding principal. ICICI, HDFC and Axis Bank charge 10%, I have no clue on other banks.

Last edited by deepakchiniwal : 22nd July 2009 at 13:42. Reason: To many as well's ;-)

Most Viewed