Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2009, 17:11   #1
BHPian

LPG hatchback dilemma?

Planning to buy a new lpg hatchback (already own a baleno cng and indigo diesel) and confused between the 3 cars which are available with lpg option.

The other requriment is power steering and front 2 power windows. Would be used only in city either by me or sis.

The options are WagonR duo, Santro Eco, Spark LPG.

Where maruti gives hassle free ownership spark gives the most advanced LPG system (sequential kit) and is VFM, santro treads in between.

P.S.: Moderator it would be really helpfull if you could please add a poll to it, being a newbie this option is still not available to me.
Old 26th July 2009, 00:58   #2
BHPian

Nothing can beat Santro, but hold on for a while, there is a thread saying new version of santro is coming, so wait for that.
Old 26th July 2009, 01:20   #3
Senior - BHPian

buy a santro with factory fitted LPG, you will get a good deal because LPG/CNG is the last option a car manufacturer brings out with the unsold stock before the launch of a new model of the same car!
Old 26th July 2009, 08:25   #4
Senior - BHPian

\wagonR followed by \spark.

WagonR for its Duo tech, Spark for its peppy engine and fun to drive factor.

Santro in its current avatar is done with.
Old 26th July 2009, 09:00   #5
Senior - BHPian

I will suggest you Wagon R. Although spark has a more modern system, in city driving, there will not be much to separate these car in performance figures.
Wagon R has got excellent visibility from drivers seat, and the overall visibility is also very good. The best car for city driving. The engine with LPG does not feel underpowered and for city driving you will not feel lack of power or anything as such.
As you have mentioned, it will be a hassle free car to own.
Old 26th July 2009, 10:45   #6
BHPian

The Spark has the sequential LPG kit which is the best among the various types of Kits available.
If you are worried about A.S.S - go for the Spark - best VFM car in the segment.
Old 26th July 2009, 11:07   #7
Senior - BHPian

Hello Guys,

Can you please tell me, why does the smell of LPG so strong with in hatchbacks particularly.

Recently in TVM I was looking at some Santros (2003-2006 models) to buy for my mothers use there (seat hight was a factor for her to get in and out). What I noticed was invaribly in all LPG versions, the smell of LPG was there and even ones clothes had the smell even after getting out of the car. I experienced this in at least 4 cars.

Is it endemic with all LPG hatch backs or was it for those particular cars only.

Thanks for your thoughts

Ram

PS - I bought a Santro 2003 Zip. 39,000 on Clock, PwS, Remote locks, Sonly Xplod, 4 brand new tyres, Generally Good condition for 165 K.

Last edited by r_nairtvm : 26th July 2009 at 11:08. Reason: editing
Old 26th July 2009, 11:16   #8
Senior - BHPian

@r_nairtvm :

I think what you are talking about is the kit that is aftermarket fitment to Santro.
I have driven LPG Duo Wagon R with factory fitted kit. There was no smell issue.
Also even in case of aftermarket kits, I have seen that either there is no smell or even if there is some smell, its very minor.

Check for leakages.
The smell after getting out of the car is IMO the exhaust. This was evident in cars that had LPG as after market fitment.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 26th July 2009 at 11:18.
Old 26th July 2009, 11:36   #9
Senior - BHPian

@panks15,

I would suggest that instead of going for LPG model, you should buy another CNG car because you already know how to maintain, pros and cons of CNG cars and also LPG technology will be obsolete according to this article.

"The company (Maruti) had earlier said it stopped working on LPG models as it planned to roll out CNG variants of the entire range of its cars from early 2010, the first of which would be the Alto."

Source:
Maruti launches CNG kit for Alto - The Financial Express
Old 26th July 2009, 12:44   #10
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post
@panks15,

I would suggest that instead of going for LPG model, you should buy another CNG car because you already know how to maintain, pros and cons of CNG cars and also LPG technology will be obsolete according to this article.

"The company (Maruti) had earlier said it stopped working on LPG models as it planned to roll out CNG variants of the entire range of its cars from early 2010, the first of which would be the Alto."

Source:
Maruti launches CNG kit for Alto - The Financial Express
The LPG tech. will not get obsolete simply because Maruti has lost interest in LPG !

Maruti is launching CNG models when compared to LPG because of the wide availability of CNG when compared to LPG esp. in North.

Search here for more on LPG vs. CNG wars.
Old 26th July 2009, 12:48   #11
Senior - BHPian

For an LPG hatchback i would always recommend the WagonR. Reason being that even with the LPG cylinder in the boot, there is still ample space left in the boot to carry stuff. In short, best space management of the three.
Other than that, you get Maruti's after sales and reliability, together with a a trouble free ownership. This is one car you cannot go wrong with.
Old 28th July 2009, 08:27   #12
BHPian

Among the three cars mentioned here, following are some of the facts collected from users. All LPG kits have the cold start issues. But when compared other LPG characteristics:

Santro ECO
Mileage-9-10km/l,
Ride Quality - Owners experienced jerking
LPG Tank Capacity - 27.2 liters

WagonR
Mileage-11-12km/l,
Ride Quality - Smooth
LPG Tank Capacity - 22.5 liters

Spark LPG
Mileage - 11-12km/l,
Ride Quality - very smooth
LPG Tank Capacity - 26.2 liters

Overall I feel Spark is the best among the thee along with other features like ride quality, build quality & value for money.
Old 28th July 2009, 15:03   #13
BHPian

aaggoswami and DCEite: I was also thinking of wagonr but my sister does not likes the looks of the car.

r_nairtvm: aaggoswami is right, the smelly issue is normally with the aftermarket fitment of lpg kit. My friends carb zen had the same issue and it was even more when the ac was switched on, he had to remove the kit and sold @ 50% of the original cost. My uncle owns wagonr duo but he has not experienced any such issues, hence i am opting for company fitted kit with warranty.

mukeshgoel: CNG is currently available only in Mumbai and thane regions in maharashtra and it sometime takes more than 20 - 25 minutes to fill up even during off peak hours. Also the cng cylinder is huge which would take up the complete (or whatever) space is available in the boot of the hatchback.

sunil8089: Thanks for the valuable info.
Old 1st August 2009, 14:24   #14
BHPian

Xeta LPG

Sir, you missed another big car with big LPG tank... Indica Xeta LPG.
Tank water capacity is 38lts, and almost 35 lts petrol.

The car pulls very well, is high on low end torgue and is a pleasure to drive around in city. On highway it does feel sluggish. We have one in our family and its on road around 4lacs in kar.

Do consider this, You get all the space of Indica, plus 60:40 rear split seats and factory fitted LPG system.

Last edited by ownerofazkaban : 1st August 2009 at 14:26.
Old 1st August 2009, 15:09   #15
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
WagonR for its Duo tech,
What is Duo tech. I thought Duo was the name given to the LPG variants of Maruti cars (800 & Wagon R), just like Eco for Hyundai.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownerofazkaban View Post
Sir, you missed another big car with big LPG tank... Indica Xeta LPG.
You can consider this one. Good deals are available. It's a nice spacious car.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks