Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2009, 10:03   #16
Senior - BHPian

I am not sure if this scheme is running down in south but here in Delhi GM is offering U-Va for a special on-road price @ 3.99 lakh.

For the said amount i feel it is sheer value of money with provided space and 3 year service package.
Old 4th August 2009, 10:13   #17
BHPian

I have a U-VA LS since the last 14 months with a K&N replacement filter. It actually makes a perceptible difference in the U-VA, surprisingly! I've had to swap filters in an out a few times and every time I have done it, I have felt the change.

The build quality is very sturdy and thankfully I have no creaks, rattles etc. till date (except for the seat belt buckle!).

The gear shifts on my U-VA have been run in and also taken care of by an OWS additive in the gear box. They are fairly smooth now. Personally, I've come from driving the SS80 which was very 'rough'. So I actually like the gear shifts on the U-VA

On the interiors - I don't understand why people bash the U-VA on the interiors! I actually find them 'cleaner' than a lot others. They also enhance the feeling of space, the way they are designed. But then, to each his own.

I recently test drove a dozen cars (Marutis, Hyundais, Fiats etc.) for my brother's purchase decision. I would agree that the U-VA is true value for money - Good interior space, fantastic AC, enough power on the tap, sturdy build, road presence (in black color at least) and the mechanicals and the engine give a feeling of control and stability.

It actually is a no-nonsense car and churns the tarmac without too much drama.

No bashing guys - just my opinion! The buyer must make his own decisions. I suggest you drive a few cars that your friends might own (U-VA or i20).

Cheers...
Old 4th August 2009, 10:39   #18
BANNED

three years service package is actually a gimmick. they (GM) doesnt loose anything at all.

just wait till a minor accident happens. then you can see how the purse gets burned

if i remember right there was a spare part comparison list given in autocarindia or overdrive magazine. dont remember the magazine and issue month. but across the segments. the leader was skoda and yes the runner up . chevy
Old 4th August 2009, 11:01   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_maassk View Post
On the interiors - I don't understand why people bash the U-VA on the interiors! I actually find them 'cleaner' than a lot others. They also enhance the feeling of space, the way they are designed. But then, to each his own.
Someone mentioned its cheap plastic, no way. it looks so solid and neat.

Quote:
I would agree that the U-VA is true value for money - Good interior space, fantastic AC, enough power on the tap, sturdy build, road presence (in black color at least) and the mechanicals and the engine give a feeling of control and stability.
Add the highway drive too. Its gives so much confidence even when you hit 100+.
Old 4th August 2009, 12:28   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have a U-VA LS since the last 14 months with a K&N replacement filter. It actually makes a perceptible difference in the U-VA, surprisingly! I've had to swap filters in an out a few times and every time I have done it, I have felt the change.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Someone mentioned its cheap plastic, no way. it looks so solid and neat.
Add the highway drive too. Its gives so much confidence even when you hit 100+.
I support it.

Had a good time with UVA-LT since Feb08. Very good ride quality, solid built, better GC. Yes the A-pillar and reverse gear was an issue earlier, but later get adjusted to it and now completely happy.

For me some improvements are required in the area of dials and trip meter and one more Airbag for passenger (LT) but not a deal breaker at all.

UVA is truly a VFM.

Cheers!
Old 4th August 2009, 12:43   #21
BHPian

I think you should try and get a test drive of the Punto 1.4. I am sure this will add a new dimension to your choice.

Between the U-VA and i20, i'd pick the i20. I drove my friends i20 and liked the goodies that it comes with. Felt a tad bit underpowered, but since the car was in its run in period I didn't rev it high. Though I have a feeling that the car will perform if it is taken closer to the red line.
Old 4th August 2009, 12:56   #22
Senior - BHPian

Hi Gemi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
And do you think the air filter change could give you very good throttle response compared to stock.
Put the K&N filter from the test drive car into your friend's car and vice versa and check for changes. I assume it is just a replacement filter!

Last edited by trrk : 4th August 2009 at 12:57.
Old 4th August 2009, 22:03   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashthedivx View Post
I am not sure if this scheme is running down in south but here in Delhi GM is offering U-Va for a special on-road price @ 3.99 lakh.

For the said amount i feel it is sheer value of money with provided space and 3 year service package.
yes dear, today only i read the Ad in the TOI that UVA is now costing 3.99 on road, i called the agency and they confirmed this to me, instead of earlier 4.28 base price on road not there is new reduced tag which i think makes it rather attractive, dont know if the discount extends same way to upper models too.
Old 4th August 2009, 22:57   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas8700 View Post
three years service package is actually a gimmick. they (GM) doesnt loose anything at all.

just wait till a minor accident happens. then you can see how the purse gets burned

if i remember right there was a spare part comparison list given in autocarindia or overdrive magazine. dont remember the magazine and issue month. but across the segments. the leader was skoda and yes the runner up . chevy
Ha, can I assume that you have not serviced a chevy car in GM service stations?

If you say GM spares are expensive then what should we say about this
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...0-axles-2.html

The labour charges for Paid service is 600Rs. Engine Oil price is 180+ / ltr. They actually print all these charges and final bill will be nulified with cashless program offer.

The front bumper is 4-5K with painting/labour etc(For my Zen I spent 4.5K for the bumper replacement). The front fender is also around 3-4K. I enquired for my car, but have not changed yet (so estimation only)

Even other wise, I dont think there parts are expensive. I tried to get the price list. But could not.

May be our Hari / Lukeskywalker, Rundra sen can shed more lights. I guess they do all paid servicing for their Optra.

This may also help.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...rice-list.html
Old 5th August 2009, 00:43   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post

If you say GM spares are expensive then what should we say about this
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...0-axles-2.html
Thats a one off case, and hence not a fair comparison. The accent diesel variant is expensive to maintain. The axles for petrol one cost a fraction of the diesel's.
Old 5th August 2009, 01:53   #26
BANNED

@mjothi dude the thread you mentioned itself has been mentioned with costly spares.!

as per the thread check the appropriate issue of ACI. the spare parts prices are mentioned. in that issue. make the comparison there and thats about it.
Old 5th August 2009, 04:15   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
Anyone has any review on the perfoormance of this system? Also could we fit this system on the U-Va?

i10: My friend was not very impressed with the car though the engine was a gem. He did not like the interiors (the first person i have seen who said this). He was also unhappy with the ride comfort.

i20: Really good modern car. You feel good sitting inside the car and the dash looks much more moder than all other cars we checked. For some reason the EPS was not functioning and the steering was hard and so could not get a feel of the power steering. The ride quality was very good. The equipment list on the magna is also quite good. a/c was quite dissapointing. Was not cooling effectively.

U-Va: THis looked like the best Value for money car. Just loved the way the car eats up eneven roads. THe rear seat was the most comfortable. The interior space is just awesome. Though the interiors look dated when compared to the i20's. What we did not like was the punny tyres and the gear shift quality.

Final Updates: SO the fight now is between the i20 Magna and the U-Va LS. There is a price difference of around 50K and we get
- a steering that can be telescopically adjusted too,
- a in built music system, better interiors,
- bigger tyres,
- immobiliser,
- Rear Defogger and Wiper,
- Digital meters
...The list of goodies are pretty impressive.

What we did not like on the i20 are the a/c as not cooling effectively. The U-va had an excellent a/c. The Rear seats were more comfortable on the U-Va. The space inside was more in the U-Va. This was more evident at the rear.

The i20 felt underpowered and the car gained good speeds only above 3K rpm. The U-Va we drove was very spiritted and on enquiring we were told that they have put in K&N filters. Not sure if just an air filter could enhance the perfomance so much. The guy made some calls and confirmed that it was only the filter.
Can someone conform if there would be such a difference with just the filter.?

PS: We tried to include the Punto 1.4 Dynamic Pack in the list and would have really finalised on this. My friend really loved sitting inside the car. Unfortunately they did not have a 1.4 test drive car. They gave us a 1.2. We decided to move on.
There is a version of U-Va called Techno which is a similar variant of U-Va to Spark Muzic.

U-VA as a car is much better than the I20 but is now dated and the interiors, driving or handling lack any spice to appeal. I20 in retrospect has much more features to make it more logical. Buy the U-VA and with the money saved, grab an air filter and some nice bigger size alloys.

In the long run i can bet that U-VA will be a lot cheaper to maintain than the I20 due to the number of additional accessories fitted in the car and going by the hyundai stories on team-bhp.

PS: Just try once more for the Punto TD. A bad sales person should not eliminate a good option.Interiors arent exactly favoured here though.
Old 5th August 2009, 07:38   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas8700 View Post
@mjothi dude the thread you mentioned itself has been mentioned with costly spares.!

as per the thread check the appropriate issue of ACI. the spare parts prices are mentioned. in that issue. make the comparison there and thats about it.
There is nothing in that thread that compares the cost with other vehicle. Possibly I should check the ACI issue. Let me check that...
Old 5th August 2009, 09:44   #29
Senior - BHPian

Can anyone comment on i20s performance increase after putting in a K&N air filter in there!?

I think its performance would also increase if the stock filter replaced with a K&N!
Old 5th August 2009, 09:52   #30
BANNED

^^^ Hey i too interested to know about this !
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks