Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2009, 12:38   #1

A-Star, Ritz or Dzire ?

My father-in-law is looking at buying a car and being a Maruti loyalist, the choice has come down to these three - A-Star, Ritz and DZire (Vdi/Zdi).

This is for Delhi roads and primarily for city driving. He does do a lot of long drives as well, so it has to be suitable and comfortable for the occasional long drive. He also wants a car that is low maintenance and economical.

He is changing his car after a loong time from his beloved Esteem, so I'm trying to make sure that he gets something he will enjoy driving.
He's not into gadgets, accessories and mods, but is someone who loves to drive. He likes a peppy car which is not heavy with easy handling and fun to drive. Considering that he is in his mid 60's I'd like to make sure that he drives something comfortable, easy to handle and safe.

He is more inclined towards the A-Star Vxi where as I'm leaning towards the Ritz or Dzire. I liked the test drive reports on both the Ritz and DZire ZDi.

He liked the handling of the A-Star more than the Ritz during the test drive and said that she felt more peppy and light where as the Ritz felt heavy and sluggish.

Also my mother-in-law found the A-Star easier to get in and out of, than the DZire... although I'm not sure of long term ride comfort for the front seats of either.

I personally haven't had a chance to test drive either of the three cars, although I intend to do so this weekend.

Any help, advice, first hand ownership comments on this would be really helpful ...
Old 13th August 2009, 15:13   #2
Senior - BHPian

After Esteem the logical upgrade should be the DeZire. It's a good car if the looks are digestable that is

But that is an individual choice.

The A Star is too small I feel.

The Ritz is a good package overall and if one can get over the Rear looks ( hate it or love it ) then I'd strongly recommend this car.

My Vote ( If out of the above 3 ) goes to the Ritz.
Old 13th August 2009, 15:21   #3
Senior - BHPian

See if its only two of them with very occasional need for luggage the A* ZXi(added Safety & cheaper than Ritz (VXi/VDi) fits the bill as he likes it more.
Old 13th August 2009, 15:27   #4
Senior - BHPian

I reckon the A-Star would fit the bill here.

Mainly due to the profile of the users + the ease of driving a small car + the safety features offered.
Old 13th August 2009, 15:37   #5
BHPian

I think he should go with the A-Star, becasue it's light and fun to drive, and the best part is your Father-in-law like's it.
Old 13th August 2009, 15:50   #6
BHPian

I think the for the ease of driving and parking I would go with the A star or the ritz VXI if you want a more peppier car.
Old 13th August 2009, 15:58   #7
BHPian

@scorpiodame

One could consider an option from the Hyundai line up. The cars are peppy with decent fuel economy and brand new engine developed (just like the Maruti engines).

The Dzire is too hideous to look at , the A_star as well. The Ritz is deceptive...looks OK from the front but if you happen to see its rear....you might hate it or love it. So for a Maruti loyalist a Ritz seems to be OK.
Old 13th August 2009, 16:25   #8
BHPian

Your in laws cant go wrong with a Ritz VDi ABS... it suits their requirement to a T. Its a more practical city car - be it driving, zipping, safety, comfort, parking, maintenance or ingress/egress.
Old 13th August 2009, 17:47   #9
BHPian

The rear seat of the A-star is very cramped and also claustrophobic.

If its only the front seat they would be occupying most of the time,A-star can fit the bill since he likes it.

Otherwise considering the rear seat,Ritz is a better product.
Old 13th August 2009, 17:48   #10
BHPian

Go for Ritz VDi. It would be a wise decision. Add Swift VDi to the list. Its worth considering.

Swift is tested and proven for speed, mileage, and comfort.
Old 13th August 2009, 18:12   #11
BHPian

I second joy_swift , A-star if they will be using the front 2 seats mostly. If more people then the ritz.
Old 13th August 2009, 18:18   #12
Senior - BHPian

2 people or 4 people, A-Star is a big NO in my books. Just doesnt make the cut.
Noisy engine, high dashboard, poor visibility, vibrating 3 pot motor, minuscule boot and rear are just some of the reasons i don't like this car at all. Heck, i would pick an Estilo over it, which is a lot more practical option.

Go for the Ritz man, or better still wait for the DZire with K12M engine.
Old 13th August 2009, 18:42   #13
BHPian

As long as it's 2 people, A-Star all the way. Great to drive, very comfortable front seats, great fuel economy, and IMHO much better looking than the Ritz or Dzire.
Old 14th August 2009, 06:38   #14
BHPian

Dezire VDi if you want a boot for long trips, Ritz VDi if its mostly city driving, Ritz VXi for features.
Old 14th August 2009, 12:31   #15

Thanks for your the responses so far. Looks like the A-Star is winning ... its biggest drawback is the boot size ...

The swift is a good option especially the VDi, however, they do not want to buy the swift as the rear window is rather small.

Considering Maruti's known problem of cheap interiors and horrible rattles ... which of these three would you say is the better of the lot ?

I'll hopefully be able to get a better idea myself post the test-drives this weekend ! Will keep you posted ...

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please take the time to use proper punctuation as per Team-BHP rules. Avoid...typing...like...this. Thanks

Last edited by Technocrat : 14th August 2009 at 13:08. Reason: Please read the note in post, thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks