Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2009, 14:16   #1
BHPian

2002 palio 1.6 GTX (or) 2006 Baleno (or) New palio stile 1.6 sports (or) Ford fusion

Guys,

I need your advise on choosing a good car, I have the following options as my new car:
1.) 2002 palio GTX SP (second owner, run 45kms) for 1.7 lakhs
2.) 2006 Baleno Lxi (run 30kms) for 2.8 lakhs
3.) Brand new palio 1.6 sports for 4.65-4.7 lakhs on road.
4.) Ford Fusion 2006 petrol for 3.25 lakhs

All prices will be subjected to negotiation.

My monthly city driving is between 600-700kms, I am confused which car to go for.

1.) I plan to own the car for atleast 4 years.
2.) It would be my daily drive car, I plan to take it on the highways once in 2 months for my trip to Bangalore.
3.) Should be reliable.
4.) Good AC (for the Chennai heat)
5.) Need power, not worried if I get 9km/litre in the city
6.) Should not rattle like the esteem
7.) ICE friendly

My budget is 5 lakhs.

I own a carb esteem, I have spent quite a lot of money on the repairs and my precious time. Still I dont feel this car so confident for my daily drive, I would be selling it or I would be going for a twin carb setup.

Would highly appreciate your help.

thanks in advance..
Old 27th August 2009, 14:32   #2
BHPian

Since you aren't bothered much by fuel efficiency, I would suggest that you take a serious look at the Fusion, it should satisfy your criteria.
Old 27th August 2009, 14:37   #3
BHPian

Consider the Palio 1.6 (new or used) only if you are ok with a fuel efficiency of around 10 kmpl (in city).

The Baleno Lxi seems like a decent option.

BTW - I'm looking for a used Palio 1.6 right now to use as my second car (have a M800 to use when FE is important) so I'd appreciate if you could pass on the details of the 2002 GTX SP if you decide not to buy it.
Old 27th August 2009, 14:40   #4
BHPian

I think with your budget, who should go in for a new car.

From the list of cars you have mentioned above, my head says Belano and my heart says Fusion.
Old 27th August 2009, 14:46   #5
BHPian

Appreciate your comments, Sorry I forgot to mention these car prices were in Chennai.
Old 27th August 2009, 14:46   #6
BHPian

Dont go for a second hand and as you have listed a option of a brand new car in your list, a brand new 1.6 Palio Stile should be the one for you.
Old 27th August 2009, 14:49   #7
BHPian

The best bet for me would be the new Palio 1.6, go for it & you would love that.
With the budget you have a new car is always a better choice
Old 27th August 2009, 14:59   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1.) I plan to own the car for atleast 4 years.
A fusion or a brand new fiat palio makes sense here.
Quote:
2.) It would be my daily drive car, I plan to take it on the highways once in 2 months for my trip to Bangalore.
Baleno takes the cake .
Quote:
3.) Should be reliable.
From my experience, I have never had any issues with the baleno. Havent seen any reliability issues being listed here with the Fusion too.. No comments on the FIAT's coz I have no experience with them.
Quote:
4.) Good AC (for the Chennai heat)
Baleno anyday, the AC is something to die for.
Quote:
5.) Need power, not worried if I get 9km/litre in the city
Baleno again, its got a torquey G16B under the hood.
Quote:
6.) Should not rattle like the esteem
I think the palio is your best bet.
Quote:
7.) ICE friendly
All are methinks.

Now I know you are thoroughly confused and I am outta here .
Old 28th August 2009, 10:31   #9
BHPian

Appreciate your replies, but this has left me even more confused.

rjstyles69 - Why does the baleno not make sense if I want to own it for 3-4 years? I would be looking for a 2005-2006 model, Is there an issue which may want to address?

Why is the palio 1.6 not a daily drive car?

Which among is an easy car to drive in peak traffic?
Old 28th August 2009, 10:43   #10
BHPian

I would say go for the used GTX, if it is a decent specimen (these are getting rarer by the day). It will be a superb daily ride, great handling, solid build and a 100 horses under the hood. In today's used car market no other car will give a better horse to rupee ratio. Parking maybe a little issue due to the long turning radius, but you will get used to it. The new Stile 1.6 is a good option as well, if the GTX does not work out. It will give a slightly better FE, and will come with a warranty, just in case. Both are superb highway cruiser (I have done 2.5K kms over miscellaneous higways over 3 days in my Stile, loved it). Tata A.S.S is a pain though (consider yourself warned). TD both and decide. I would go for the GTX if I were you.

PS: Just a word about the AC- chiller. No second thoughts on that front. No problems in the extreme heat of Hyderabad.
Old 28th August 2009, 10:55   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anurag_p80 View Post
I would say go for the used GTX, if it is a decent specimen (these are getting rarer by the day). It will be a superb daily ride, great handling, solid build and a 100 horses under the hood. In today's used car market no other car will give a better horse to rupee ratio. Parking maybe a little issue due to the long turning radius, but you will get used to it. The new Stile 1.6 is a good option as well, if the GTX does not work out. It will give a slightly better FE, and will come with a warranty, just in case. Both are superb highway cruiser (I have done 2.5K kms over miscellaneous higways over 3 days in my Stile, loved it). Tata A.S.S is a pain though (consider yourself warned). TD both and decide. I would go for the GTX if I were you.

PS: Just a word about the AC- chiller. No second thoughts on that front. No problems in the extreme heat of Hyderabad.
I have heard that people who have brought second hand GTX have spend a lot of money on maintaining it. Is that true? For example if I get a GTX for 1.5-1.6lakhs, I may slowly start spending on the repairs and problems arising? a 2001 GTX would be more than 8 years old, any reliability issues (e.g.) after some kilometers we need to change few parts or it may fail.
Old 28th August 2009, 11:09   #12
BHPian

Quote:
I have heard that people who have brought second hand GTX have spend a lot of money on maintaining it. Is that true? For example if I get a GTX for 1.5-1.6lakhs, I may slowly start spending on the repairs and problems arising? a 2001 GTX would be more than 8 years old, any reliability issues (e.g.) after some kilometers we need to change few parts or it may fail.
You may need to spend some money upfront to bring it upto shape. Any used car will need that. How much will depend on the condition the specimen you are buying is in. Get a thorough check-up done by a competent mechanic, and you will get a fair idea on what will be required. Say you spend 1.5 lacs on purchasing, and slowly spend another 70-80k for getting some work done. I would say it is still a super deal. I have not heard of any reliability issues with Palios, new or old. Yes, the electricals can be a bit temperamental, but no mechanical problems. Just make sure you get a good carefully driven car.
Old 28th August 2009, 11:20   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anurag_p80 View Post
You may need to spend some money upfront to bring it upto shape. Any used car will need that. How much will depend on the condition the specimen you are buying is in. Get a thorough check-up done by a competent mechanic, and you will get a fair idea on what will be required. Say you spend 1.5 lacs on purchasing, and slowly spend another 70-80k for getting some work done. I would say it is still a super deal. I have not heard of any reliability issues with Palios, new or old. Yes, the electricals can be a bit temperamental, but no mechanical problems. Just make sure you get a good carefully driven car.
Hmm I also need to take A.S.S also into account & waiting time for few parts, I guess GTX parts were made in Brazil or Argentina..

I will take a look at the vehicle, get a complete checkup done by a capable mechanic. If the expenses on basis on assumption comes close to 80-90k, I would give the GTX a go and stick to a new one. The new one on road comes to 4.65 lakhs plus 4 years warranty.. Aint that a sweet deal?
Old 28th August 2009, 11:21   #14
BHPian

I don't mean to confuse you. but if you stretch your 5 lacs budget a bit, you could think about some decent diesel hatchbacks too. Like the swift, getz.

Else I think a Palio 1.6 should be your best bet.
Old 28th August 2009, 11:35   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bean View Post
Hmm I also need to take A.S.S also into account & waiting time for few parts, I guess GTX parts were made in Brazil or Argentina..

I will take a look at the vehicle, get a complete checkup done by a capable mechanic. If the expenses on basis on assumption comes close to 80-90k, I would give the GTX a go and stick to a new one. The new one on road comes to 4.65 lakhs plus 4 years warranty.. Aint that a sweet deal?
Tough choice - Old GTX with a landed cost of approx. 2.5L (price paid + cost of repairs upfront as Anurag pointed out) or a new Stile for approx 5.0L. Question is whether the 4 year warranty is worth the additional 2.5L. If it is going to be the only car and you do not have good service support in your city - then it might be worth it. In the recent weeks I have seen positive comments on Fiat (Tata) A.S.C.s by quite a few members, a far cry from the days when we heard only complaints, so I guess Fiat is making headway on the service front. Chennai has several good mechanics and there are many Palio users in Chennai who can guide you to a good mechanic.

The Palio and Stile never really turn into rattlers and their handling is way superiors to the other cars. Baleno gives you a boot and some great acceleration. The Fusion always came across as a middle of the road vehicle.

Cheers,

@ Anurag - check out Palio Users Group on Yahoo groups - it might interest you.

Last edited by Ravveendrra : 28th August 2009 at 11:37.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks