Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2009, 14:01   #16
Senior - BHPian

@ Sada - 69K is not much at all ! My SS 80 has clocked 1.56L kms and is still very roadworthy ! Coming back to the topic, having driven both the cars extensively, you will not feel at all happy with the 4 speed one as you will always be comparing it with the 5 speed one that you had. If budget is a constraint, I would suggest to go for the Alto.

Last edited by kannan666 : 30th August 2009 at 14:04.
Old 30th August 2009, 15:39   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Is fitting a AC into a small non AC car like M800 really a good idea? If one decides to put in an AC, he should also be prepared to invest for a new radiator and a fan, as the existing ones shall regularly fail/overheat.
Trust me with this - I have seen this problem with 2-3 non AC M800/Alto.

Well who said it isn't.A need for a new radiator is depending on the condition of the existing one.Yes i agree you would have to fit a new fan.It also depends on who and where you get it done by.If you take it to someone who has do A/c fittings and is experienced you shouldn't face a problem.
Old 30th August 2009, 15:49   #18
Senior - BHPian

The Alto is the best option, considering the 5th gear, slightly more powerful engine and a better A/C. That is what I went for after considering the Santro as well as Spark. But the out going Santro, if available at the same price as Alto, is definitely worth considering.
Old 30th August 2009, 16:33   #19
BHPian

The Alto would be the least expensive upgrade. Even though the engine is same as the 5speed 800, the ride quality of an Alto is much superior. The AC is also good.
If Spark is an option then you can also consider the new Estilo as it falls in the same price bracket. I'm sure it does give decent mileage.
Old 30th August 2009, 18:07   #20
BHPian

M800

Going by your picture you also seem to like the swift.You have clocked nearly 50000 kilometres in your M800 and wanting a change is good, so also the mileage aspect which you require.All this may read why not Maruti 800 but may I suggest a small change in this Why not another Maruti from True Value??
A Nice Swift maybe in the colour that you like.
Old 30th August 2009, 18:11   #21
BHPian

Hi Sada,
As you already are a Maruti fan having clocked over 50k kilometers in the car may I suggest you also consider buying a Swift(as you also seem to like it) from TRUE VALUE..
Cheers
Old 31st August 2009, 01:48   #22
BHPian

I had suggested the Alto earlier in this thread but am beginning to think that a lot of exciting options would be available in the used car market with a 3.5 lac budget.
Do scout around. Some of my friends have got great deals on used cars. However, avoid repossessed cars. Too many shady middlemen.
Old 31st August 2009, 06:51   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy.S View Post
I had suggested the Alto earlier in this thread but am beginning to think that a lot of exciting options would be available in the used car market with a 3.5 lac budget.
Do scout around. Some of my friends have got great deals on used cars. However, avoid repossessed cars. Too many shady middlemen.
I too considered this option while booking a new Alto. In fact a neighbour of mine bought a good used Accent for 2.75 Lacs and I was tempted. But the FE and maintenance costs as compared to a new Alto made me decide against this option.
Old 31st August 2009, 09:34   #24
BHPian

still lot of life left in it...

I own the 2002 5 speed 800, and current odo reading is ~1,02,000+kms. 69k is very low milage for a well maintained 5 speed.

A good upgrade would be Alto Lxi, However you'll see a hit in highway economy, Alto max-out at around 20kmpl in general, while the 5 speed can get 22-24kmpl.

If limited by budget of 3.5L, I would settle for Alto Lxi. Yes, am planing to sell my 5 speed for Ritz (Ldi or Vxi, am looking at low operating costs).

Alto will def. match many of the characters of 5 Speed.
Old 31st August 2009, 09:48   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownerofazkaban View Post
A good upgrade would be Alto Lxi, However you'll see a hit in highway economy, Alto max-out at around 20kmpl in general, while the 5 speed can get 22-24kmpl.

If limited by budget of 3.5L, I would settle for Alto Lxi.
+1 to that. Alto LXi was what I bought and I am very satisfied with it. I am getting about 21 KMPL in the highway now, and expect it to slightly increase as the odo reading goes up. Right now it is only 1400 KM.
Old 31st August 2009, 14:05   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
...FE and maintenance costs as compared to a new Alto...
If it comes down to these two factors, definitely go for an Alto. My friend had one that he tortured (pretty badly) for 3 years and it cost him peanuts to maintain and returned excellent kmpl figures. I've never met a dissatisfied Alto owner.
@sada, typically, how many people will be travelling with you?
Old 31st August 2009, 20:33   #27
BHPian

Thanks again for all ur responses!

I am back to square one going by Shivshanker and Superselect's responses - quite opposite suggestions!

Per Neurotoxin's suggestion, I will take a test drive of the new Estillo and check out if earlier discounts continue!

Venkman, White Swift was love at first sight for me, but my next car has to be a NEW one or i will keep the current car.

Roy, only myself daily to office, (with wife, 10-yr-old son, and 10-month-old daughter on weekends), and mom & mother-in-law join us during long journeys - twice a year at the most.

Current status on sale of my present car - buyer was supposed to call me today after returning from outstation, but no call yet - I could have called him to find out the status, but since I am in two minds now whether to sell or not, did not call him. Price agreed upon is 1.2 lacs.

Will keep you all updated - Meanwhile, your suggestions/opinions are welcome.
Old 1st September 2009, 00:35   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sada View Post
I am back to square one going by Shivshanker and Superselect's responses - quite opposite suggestions!
Welcome to TBHP

Quote:
Roy, only myself daily to office, (with wife, 10-yr-old son, and 10-month-old daughter on weekends), and mom & mother-in-law join us during long journeys - twice a year at the most....
2 adults and 2 kids is just fine, but you will find it cramped and lacking in boot space on long drives with 4 adults and 2 kids. However, you are not going to do this too often, so you could hire or borrow a bigger car on those occasional trips.

Quote:
Current status on sale of my present car - buyer was supposed......Price agreed upon is 1.2 lacs.
Thats a really good price.
Old 1st September 2009, 16:33   #29
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Spark would be a good upgrade.

Why not get a Nano from one of the allotiees for say 20k extra - (may not meet your power needs but a really good car and definately an 800 upgrade.)

both these would be a good upgrade.

Or the safe choise alto
Old 1st September 2009, 17:00   #30
BHPian

I think Spark cannot be beat from a VFM perspective when you take in to account the 3 year maintenance package!

The Estillo was a good deal to but the discounts have probably gone done with the new model.

Most Viewed