Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2009, 14:41   #1

i20 and its clutch pedal

Hi all,

I am thinking of getting the i20 Asta Petrol but wife wants to get the Verna instead. The main reason being the very deep clutch pedal travel - This is the primary reason. I currenly own a Santro Xing and even I found the the i20's clutch travel to be very deep during the TD and this might become tiring during frequent gear changes within Bangalore city traffic.

The other reason being lack of enuf power - This will be a thing I will have to live with and compromise for the other comforts of the i20. I think this is not a very big issue for me.

Have others who have test driven the i20 or own the car feel the same about the i20's clutch? I feel this will be a pain for a short person because they will have to pull the seat front but when u do this your leg shin hits the side plates next to the steering column. This is what happened to my wife. Even otherwise I felt the clutch travel was too much.

The i20 really fits my budget and I dont want to push it by another lakh or so for the Verna. I am not comparing cars here, but its just my budget constraints. It would really help if I can get more feedback from you guys about the clutch.

Thanks in advance,
Hari
Old 9th September 2009, 13:11   #2
MCR
BHPian

Hello Haril,
Pls consider a Swift Vdi/ Swift Dzire Vxi costs the same as that of I20. I am selling my Satro Xing and going for Swift Vdi / Swift Dzire Vxi. No such pedal travel issues with Swift.

Also the After Sales Service of Maruti is far better than Hyundai. This i know from experience as I own a Santro Xing and My dad owns an Alto.

Complete depression of Clutch pedal is important to avoid undue clutch wear, gear wear and noise + vibration.

Regards,
MCR

M800 Oct04 to Dec08.
Santro Xing Jun07 to Tilldate (ready for sale)
Alto Jan09 to Till date

Coming Soon Swift Vdi or Swift Dzire Vxi.
Old 9th September 2009, 13:28   #3
BHPian

Yes, for a shorter person seat right upfront with a long travel clutch pedal makes for a very uncomfortable driving position.

Understand that your budget fits in the i20 with the Kappa else would have suggested to try the i20 A/T.

Would you consider an i10 A/T? I know that would not be upgrading the size of your current car but its a bloody neat drive for the city. Refined, well powered and hassle free driving.
Old 9th September 2009, 14:05   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR View Post
Hello Haril,
Pls consider a Swift Vdi/ Swift Dzire Vxi costs the same as that of I20. I am selling my Satro Xing and going for Swift Vdi / Swift Dzire Vxi. No such pedal travel issues with Swift.

Also the After Sales Service of Maruti is far better than Hyundai. This i know from experience as I own a Santro Xing and My dad owns an Alto.
Well, I prefer a petrol vehicle since I dont travel too much expcept for once a year long drive to Kerala and the economics of the diesel doesnt work out with me. Also, I am pretty happy with the after sales service of Advaith Hyundai.
Old 9th September 2009, 14:08   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevGin View Post
Would you consider an i10 A/T? I know that would not be upgrading the size of your current car but its a bloody neat drive for the city. Refined, well powered and hassle free driving.
Mileage is important to me which is one of the reasons I can live with the underpowered engine of the i20 and the i10 AT will have less FE. So thats out.. Other wise yes the AT is neat to drive in Blore traffic.
Old 9th September 2009, 18:28   #6

another TD

I just took another TD and this time I patiently took time to adjust the seat hieght and distance so that the clutch position is the most comfortable and then adjusted the steering wheel accordingly. I was pleasantly surprised that it was not so bad at all. The clutch travel is deep indeed but it felt much more comfortable now after the adjustments.

Also, took the car for a longer spin on less crowded roads and noticed that the power is pretty adequate for the car.. at least for me. I agree the acceleration is not very peppy but the car doesnt let me down when I needed to accelerate. I guess it will be a different ball game when you try to overtake high speed traffic on a highway but thats not going to be very frequent. I really dont know what the big fuss is about the car being underpowered and think its more than enough for our traffic conditions.
Old 10th September 2009, 11:22   #7
Senior - BHPian

Don't worry about the clutch of the i20 or i10. They both have one of the lightest / effortless clutches around. My wife no longer wants to drive the Swift ZXI, she only wants to drive the i10 or when available, a relative's i20. Then she does not want the i10 either!!!

The swift's clutch is one of the worst Maruti has ever put out, gives off burning smell at any rpm more than 3k, umpteen complaints and re-settings have not improved the problem and recently jerking even in first gear has started. I am going to have to shell out big bucks for this, Maruti A.S.S. will never replace clutch for free. I have never had such a bad clutch in any of my earlier cars, premier padmini included - they all easily lasted more than 40-50k kms. The swift has packed up in 20k.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks