Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2009, 23:30   #16
Senior - BHPian

I'm around 5'10", and i found the a star more cramped than the spark, and very uncomfortable with passengers in the back
Old 12th September 2009, 23:40   #17
Senior - BHPian

A-star should have been launched in a 3 door version. Would have suited it's sporty image that Maruti wants to highlight.
Old 12th September 2009, 23:55   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by herculesksp View Post
Can someone better 'sell' me the i10? What are the equipment levels on the i10 Era - Power Windows, central locking etc? Also how is the A/C on the i10?
Hey Hercules: So your wife, in collaboration with Team-BHP, took just a few hours to convince you against buying the A-Star.

Now the fun begins, as one and all would foist their own choice of car on to you, and you can convince yourself to be be totally confused, like GW Bush speaking English!

The new Estilo hasn't made an appearance on the list yet - try it. Better than the old Estilo. Indica Vista Quadrajet - stretch your budget a little, bargain like hell, and maybe you can get one. Get a boot too - look at the Indigo Cut-Short petrols - not the most frugal unlike A-Stars, but bombproof engines nonetheless, without the quirks of the Dicors . There's that extra space for the CNG cylinder there, after which your resale value goes nowhere.

Or what the heck... get yourself a nice low-mileage NHC Type 3 for the money!

I hope I've pioneered the attempt at utterly muddling up your choices now. All other BHPians are welcome to contribute!

Monday morning, go out and buy the first car your wife falls in love with. That'll convice you. Choosing a car is indeed a Herculean task...
Old 13th September 2009, 07:29   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
SS-Traveller : Hey Hercules: So your wife, in collaboration with Team-BHP, took just a few hours to convince you against buying the A-Star.

Now the fun begins, as one and all would foist their own choice of car on to you, and you can convince yourself to be be totally confused, like GW Bush speaking English!
Dont we love this ! But he doesnt have to convince himself to be confused. He'll sooon be there.

Quote:
SS-Traveller : The new Estilo hasn't made an appearance on the list yet - try it. Better than the old Estilo.
The Estilo's tall-boy stance makes the driver seat a little better , and the old one is available at a cash discount of 25k right now.

Quote:
SS-Traveller : I hope I've pioneered the attempt at utterly muddling up your choices now. All other BHPians are welcome to contribute!
@SS-T, it was far easier that I thought ..

Quote:
Monday morning, go out and buy the first car your wife falls in love with. That'll convice you. Choosing a car is indeed a Herculean task...
How easier can it get ?

Last edited by condor : 13th September 2009 at 07:32.
Old 13th September 2009, 09:35   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@hercules, I happened to check out the Maruti range of hatches today. Even at 5'8", I found the driver seat of the A-star cramped : the steering column is in easy reach of my knees. And even with my lean frame, I was close to rubbing shoulders with the guy who came with me .. wonder how would you make it in the A-star.
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
I'm around 5'10", and i found the a star more cramped than the spark, and very uncomfortable with passengers in the back
Hmmmmm... I think its got something to do with the ratio of the body trunk to legs. Many tall(er) friends found the Wagon R quite comfy, but for the life of me, I cannot get that steering column above my thighs/knee no matter how back I take my seat. A-Star as a matter of fact gives me the biggest gap between the knee and the steering wheel among all cars, and that too pushed back only half way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post

I hope I've pioneered the attempt at utterly muddling up your choices now. All other BHPians are welcome to contribute!
Noooo.... Focus Ku(oh and thats my nickname) Focus.... Don't let your decisions and shortlists get muddled... Focus!!!.
Old 13th September 2009, 09:44   #21
Senior - BHPian

I am around 5 feet 10 inches tall, and around 95+ kg. Shoulder width problem is something I am facing in M800 too. I have driven A-star and for me, atleast, I found out that the front seats of A-star are comfortable. I have driven on highways and can tell you that after a few kms, its comfortable in A-star. Dont even think of sitting in rear seat.

Front seats are comfortable, but also note that I prefer a comfortable driving position rather than too much upright driving position.
Old 13th September 2009, 11:53   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

The Indica Vista should appeal to you.
Old 13th September 2009, 12:01   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
The Indica Vista should appeal to you.
+1 to this

i think you should consider Vista seriously.
it looks fantastic value proposition.

i certainly suggest that you should buy the car considering your future needs of space and driving needs. Diesel would help you to keep the fuel costs down which you can use for your increased EMIs

VISTA is more car per car.
Old 13th September 2009, 12:12   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
Diesel would help you to keep the fuel costs down which you can use for your increased EMIs

VISTA is more car per car.
you are forgetting the fact that he started out this thread stating that he had a 4 L budget cap and also stated that his regular travel distance is not high. hence diesel may not suit his need.
correct me if i'm wrong.
Old 13th September 2009, 12:47   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14000rpm View Post
you are forgetting the fact that he started out this thread stating that he had a 4 L budget cap and also stated that his regular travel distance is not high. hence diesel may not suit his need.
correct me if i'm wrong.
Bingo! Though I am a sucker for Torque, my budget is a little constrained, and I would hardly drive any more than 300kms a month. So diesel is a pointless investment even if I stretch my budget.
Old 13th September 2009, 13:22   #26
Senior - BHPian

+1 to Indica Vista Saffire- try it Getz Petrols too should be up for a steal.

Let the resales not bother you much. Any car would lose much of its initial value in the first 3 years...
Old 13th September 2009, 15:35   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
+1 to Indica Vista Saffire- try it Getz Petrols too should be up for a steal.

Let the resales not bother you much. Any car would lose much of its initial value in the first 3 years...
i agree that getz is VFM as of now with their 1.1 getting for 3.95- on road but as company has stopped getz fully from market, not a good idea, look for i10 irde, vista petrol which surely is good car, fiat engine once again with good package, space.Astar just doesnt appeal to my choice.
Old 13th September 2009, 16:19   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
The Estilo's tall-boy stance makes the driver seat a little better , and the old one is available at a cash discount of 25k right now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
Getz Petrols too should be up for a steal.
Quote:
I want a new model from the market(< 2-3 years old) and not some old model re-hashed, re-furnished and re-engined.
So the old AND new Estilo should be out of your options list, as also the Getz.
Quote:
Though I am a sucker for Torque, my budget is a little constrained, and I would hardly drive any more than 300kms a month. So diesel is a pointless investment even if I stretch my budget.
Quote:
I am a sucker for big boots(read sedan).
A car with a boot which comes within 4L and fits all 86 kg and 6 inches... oops... (I suppose) feet of you? Only the Indigo CS petrol fits that bill. Tomorrow morning, I would expect you and the lady to go to a Tata showroom and TD one. Remember your own quote...
Quote:
I didn't want to be caught inside an M800 prior to falling in love with the car.
Old 13th September 2009, 22:35   #29
BANNED

How about a palio stile or a punto ?
I think the petrol vesrion of the stile is almost the price of an A star .
Old 13th September 2009, 22:46   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatmana2000 View Post
How about a palio stile or a punto ?
I think the petrol vesrion of the stile is almost the price of an A star .
I would not recommend a product (palio) that is on its deathbed. Palio sells less than 100 units a month, and according to another thread , fiat only sold 11 palio in august !!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed