Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2009, 22:22   #46
Senior - BHPian

The essential condition for buying a diesel one is being a diesel-head.

The sort of difference in usage required to break-even with petrol can only be realized if one is a regular highway driver or lives in a city like Delhi where the distances can be quite a bit.

Just a psychological view to it: You feel happier parking in front of the diesel pump at the station later on.
Old 7th October 2009, 10:55   #47
Team-BHP Support

@Sridhar, Thanks for the calculations. Though I have a basic idea of this, I had myself not performed these calculations.

What I was asking was, has diesel evolved to such as extent, that one instead of not worrying of breaking-even, just ends up buying diesel instead of petrol, just for its sheer performance and value?

Although its vague to put it this way, will economics, ever over-rule, the purchase of a diesel vehicle?
Old 7th October 2009, 12:57   #48
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar_setty View Post
I didn't get why you made it to Rs.60,000 for calculating the interest
The following were our assumptions:

1. You need to spend an additional Rs 80,000 on a Diesel model over a Petrol model.
2. Out of this Rs 80,000, you will get back Rs 40,000 as the additional resale value for a Diesel model, at the end of 3 years.

If you have saved this 40,000 at the beginning itself by buying a Petrol model, you can add the interest for this 40,000 also for 3 years.

3. If you buy a Petrol model, you can use the remaining (80000 - 40000 = ) 40000 for fuel expenses.

You cannot calculate the interest for this entire amount of 40,000 for 3 years, because at the end of the 3rd year, you will have fully spent this 40,000 for fuel. So, an average of Rs 20,000 can be taken for interest calculation for 3 years.

So, total amount that can be considered for interest calculation is 40,000 + 20,000 = 60,000.
Old 7th October 2009, 15:13   #49
BHPian

I would suggest ritz. Overdrive mag went to leh to test small cars and came back with the opinion that ritz is the best you can get with that money. And if money no object, Jazz would be their preference.
Old 7th October 2009, 18:37   #50
BHPian

Ritz all the way

If the choices are limited to what you listed i would suggest to go for Ritz without a second thought and you would never regret.But since you are already having a Ritz i would suggest to try out i20 or Punto or if you can stretch till jazz then Jazz!!
happy hunting.
cheers
Old 7th October 2009, 20:41   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by princemanatt View Post
I would suggest ritz. Overdrive mag went to leh to test small cars and came back with the opinion that ritz is the best you can get with that money. And if money no object, Jazz would be their preference.
Then the choice is made!

If OD says go in for the Ritz if you have 6l or the Jazz if you have 9l. Just do it with your eyes closed.

@Ampere

Well, I for one feel that we put too much thought into the economics. A diesel does give you great performance and a better resale. A decade back, diesel engines were a tad bit less reliable and required more maintenance. Now that is not the case. So there should be not much to stop you from going in for it if you like to 'feel'.
Old 7th October 2009, 21:52   #52
Team-BHP Support

@EssYouWe

Now at least I have started thinking of Diesel options even if my total drive is ~1000km per month.
Old 8th October 2009, 00:50   #53
Senior - BHPian

That is great bro!

There is a very nice diesel engine out there in the form of the 1.3l. Plus there is always pete's if you get bored and want more power.

A 1000 km is good enough IMO.

As I said before, you'll feel really happy when you tank up at lesser price.
Running costs get to you. At least I find them very irritating.

Last edited by EssYouWe : 8th October 2009 at 00:50. Reason: One smiley too many.
Old 8th October 2009, 01:08   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by princemanatt View Post
Do you seriously trust these magazines? I trust fellow BHPians more than these pseudo Journalists.

Drive to Ladakh is meant for SUV's not to test Hatchbacks back to back, i'm sure those journalists had good time damaging underbodies of hatchbacks (Which obviously did belong to somebody else).

Last edited by .anshuman : 7th October 2010 at 23:14.
Old 9th October 2009, 14:07   #55
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Do you seriously trust these this magazines? I trust fellow BHPians more than these pseudo Journalists.

Drive to Ladakh is meant for SUV's not to test Hatchbacks back to back, i'm sure those journalists had good time damaging underbodies of hatchbacks (Which obviously did belong to somebody else).
Totally agree

We do not buy cars to test it out in Leh/Ladakh all the time. Another thing I can quote is that while buying a cell phone, we purchase based on a differentiating feature, which we never use once we purchase the phone! I hope its not the same with the car, as the cash involved is much more.

Have said that yes, Ritz VXI and i20 Magna (IMHO) are VFM.
Old 16th October 2009, 16:11   #56
BHPian

Only thing against Rits is the rear end look (subjective). Aprt from that its a perfect city car for a small family. I would have gone for Ritz if they offered a ZDi version. Cant understand why maruti feels diesel buyers dont care for safety. High time to wake up maruti. Competition is getting hot in 6-8 L hot hatch segment.
Old 6th November 2009, 01:26   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
So the total Kilometers that can be covered using the extra bucks is only 16 kms (10 + 6) per day.
Quote:
So, we can run for 16 kms per day free of cost if we opt for VXi instead of VDi. To realize advantage of VDi over VXi, you need to run atleast 30 kms a day or 900 kms per month.
Thank you sridhar_setty & romeomidhun for such a brilliant calculation. Although it’s based on approximate values, it answers all my question.

In spite of my family members’ suggestion to pick a petrol car, I was pretty confused whether to choose Diesel over Petrol. I took a test drive of both Ritz Petrol & Diesel and both were impressive. (Confusion started)

I compared the features of Ritz VDI +ABS with Ritz ZXI. Besides alloy wheels, 2-din audio with steering control, and rear de-foggers, the only major component missing was Dual airbags. (Confusion contd…)

After few weeks, I happily developed a theory and got convinced that diesel was a safe bet, although I don’t use my car on weekdays and perhaps run for about 200 kms on weekends and occasional long trips.

-------------------------8<-------------------------
My theory on Cost:
We've seen the Petrol price go up in the last 5 years; but still Diesel price rise was comparatively less. So, I’m sure you’ll agree with me that fuel price may go up again in the next 5 years. (We get 2 litres for Rs. 100, whereas it was 4 litres earlier). Is it not a good option to buy a Ritz Diesel for extra 80K than to get Ritz Petrol for less and spend more on refueling in the coming years?

Approx. Diesel Calculation:

43 litres x Rs. 35 = Rs. 1505
Fuel Efficiency: ~APPROX 17 KM (80% city and 20% high-way drive with 100% AC) = 731 KMs
Diesel cost per KM: Rs. 2 (rounded off)

Approx. Petrol Calculation:

43 litres x Rs. 50 = Rs. 2150
Fuel Efficiency: ~APPROX 13 KM (80% city and 20% high-way drive with 100% AC) = 559 KMs
Petrol cost per KM: Rs. 4 (rounded off)

Based the above calculation, it appears that we’d spend 50% extra every time we refill Petrol. Are we overlooking the initial cost of a Diesel engine by paying 80K than spending Rs. 645 (Rs. 2150 - 1505) extra every time for filling 43-litre-tank.
------------------------->8-------------------------

However, after going through this thread and checking Ritz sales chart methinks that I need a Petrol car!

Please correct me if I'm wrong and suggestions are welcome.

Thank you
Old 7th October 2010, 19:47   #58

Estilo or Wagon-R

Hello friends, I am Deepak from Bangalore and new to this site.

I presently own a Maruti 800 Standard (non-AC) August 2001 model. After 9 years of loyal service, I am planning to bid goodbye to it.

I have been offered Rs.80,000 for the car by a dealer. I am thinking of going in for Estilo Vxi or new Wagon R. Estilo Vxi is loaded with lots of features and I am getting a great offer for 50K (25,000 exchange bonus + 25,000 discount). But I have read feedback/reviews, that Estilo is an old model and may have some issues as it ages.

So I am considering the new Wagon R also. There is only a 15,000 exchange bonus on offer. Wagon R Vxi has a 2 month waiting period and Lxi is available, but lacks a few features.

I am a bit confused, whether to book Estilo Vxi, (on the basis of offer and features) or go for the new model Wagon R. Should I go for Estilo or Wagon-R? Could fellow Team-BHPians please help me to take a decision? .
Looking forward eagerly for your suggestions.

Last edited by Jaggu : 7th October 2010 at 22:01. Reason: Please use Search before opening a new thread, already existing topic. Thanks
Old 7th October 2010, 22:54   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safedriver View Post
Hello friends, I am Deepak from Bangalore and new to this site.

I presently own a Maruti 800 Standard (non-AC) August 2001 model. After 9 years of loyal service, I am planning to bid goodbye to it.

I have been offered Rs.80,000 for the car by a dealer. I am thinking of going in for Estilo Vxi or new Wagon R. Estilo Vxi is loaded with lots of features and I am getting a great offer for 50K (25,000 exchange bonus + 25,000 discount). But I have read feedback/reviews, that Estilo is an old model and may have some issues as it ages.

So I am considering the new Wagon R also. There is only a 15,000 exchange bonus on offer. Wagon R Vxi has a 2 month waiting period and Lxi is available, but lacks a few features.

I am a bit confused, whether to book Estilo Vxi, (on the basis of offer and features) or go for the new model Wagon R. Should I go for Estilo or Wagon-R? Could fellow Team-BHPians please help me to take a decision? .
Looking forward eagerly for your suggestions.
It is a strange situation. Some factors which might help you:

- Need more leg/head room, prefer WagonR
- Would also be driven by women, prefer Estilo
- Would go out of town frequently, prefer WagonR
- Have problem with parking, prefer Estilo

HTH
Old 8th October 2010, 11:40   #60

Quote:
It is a strange situation. Some factors which might help you:

- Need more leg/head room, prefer WagonR
- Would also be driven by women, prefer Estilo
- Would go out of town frequently, prefer WagonR
- Have problem with parking, prefer Estilo

HTH
Thank you Sridharji for the inputs. On overall performance and maintenance, which in your opinion would be better - new Wagon R or Estilo?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks