Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2009, 21:47   #1
BHPian

Performance twins on a Budget- Palio 1.6 GTX Vs Ikon 1.6 (Edit - Its a Palio 1.6 GTX)

Hi Friends,

After your valuable suggestions I recently bought a ANHC and love every moment of the drive. Circa I had a santro and also have a Ikon 1.3, now I am in need of a second (second hand) car for my highway commute...

My budget is strictly 2L and highway performance is bare basic requriment, I know how punny it was to drive a santro at 100kmph.

I would be using the car for a 2K drive/per month, FE is not a big constrain as these cars can be driven slowly to get FE but alto cannot be turbo boosted when you need it in the middle of a four lanes were even trucks will cook you.

I am in touch with fellow Bhpian Beejay who has a Palio 1.6 Gtx (lucky his company used to pay him for the drive!) and I was very much Impressed by fellow Bhpians raveendra and redMM340's successfull additions, Gtx ofcourse.

Basically I am looking at a car which is five years old (not that I want old but nothing new will fit in my budget) 40 to 50K on the odo, so guys please feel free to suggest the pro's and con's of both the cars.

Also I would like to hear the maintanence costs from the owners of these cars.

Thanks and regards,

Makesh.

Mods: Please add a poll for the same.

It's "India", Let's Vote!
Old 29th September 2009, 22:59   #2
BHPian

The Ikon 1.6 seems to be the better buy . Both cars are brilliant to drive , but I think the Ikon has a few advantages namely :
1 . A Boot - It is useful for the highway run eg Luggage for hollidays etc
2 Spare Parts - I think it would be easier and cheaper to source spare parts for Ikon as it has a comparatively better network than Fiat . Though with the Tata partnership I am not sure.
But whatever decession you make you are sure to have loads of fun redlining the josh machines!
Old 29th September 2009, 23:23   #3
Senior - BHPian

The 1.6 Palio & Ikon 1.6 both are very good driver's cars BUT if it is highway use you looking for then an Ikon would make more sense.

You would easily get a 50k done 5 year old 1.6 Ikon for about 1.75 - 2 lacs.

While searching for used cars - try the Baleno & Lancer as well though these might be a bit expensive and considering they are pretty much in demand in Southern India, it might be tough to find a good deal on these BUT have a look nevertheless

Keep us updated as to what you finally decided on.
Old 30th September 2009, 08:49   #4
BHPian

Ikon 1.6

+ Lovely steering and good front end grip
+ Responsive engine and rorty exhaust note
+ Short gearing makes it feel peppier than 91bhp suggests.
+ Gear shift superbly weighted
+ Decent ride quality. Nxt version has softer spring rates
+ Stiff chassis
+ Rear seat- great for two
+ Boot is useful if you travel with four and have luggage to haul

- No anti roll bar. Noticeable roll when changing directions, although there is
no lack of grip
- Short gearing makes the engine feel strained beyond 120kmph
- Interiors feel cheap. Again NXT version has better plastics
- Prone to rust, mainly the exhaust
- Spares are not very cheap but might be easier to procure than the Palio
- Ignition troubles. If you are lucky, that will be the least of your problems.

Palio 1.6

+ Solid, heavy feel
+ Safer (?). Try and get a GTX SP with ABS and airbags
+ Great mid-range performance
+ Better build quality and quality plastics than the earlier ikons
+ Hatch and flip down seats useful when carrying items with just two
people onboard

- Spares and after sales service

The Palio has good mid range grunt and has more torque from its 16v motor. So the weight disadvantage is taken care of. The steering is not very lively around the centre, but is very accurate and well weighted.

The Ikon feels more eager to rev and is loads of fun when you drive it on an open road. You have to experience the communicative steering and the engine which despite being an 8valve unit, is very responsive and fairly rev happy. The low end torque makes it easy to drive around in town. Oh, it has the better gear shift quality with nice spring loaded lever. On the limit, the handling can be tricky, as the tail loses grip before the front end does.

But if fun to drive is what you are after, it is the best!

How do I know? I drive one !!!

Check this
vivekji05 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2009, 11:07   #5
Senior - BHPian

If you don't need the boot, it is Palio 1.6 GTX all the way!
Old 30th September 2009, 11:21   #6
Team-BHP Support

Both are awesome cars and you will not go wrong with any of them, but my personal choice would be the Palio 1.6.
Old 30th September 2009, 11:26   #7
BHPian

Have owned the GTX for the past 7+ years (Just sold today!!) and have thoroughly enjoyed it. I cannot fairly compare the two since I have never driven the option, however, as an all-rounder the Palio is a blast. The strong power band across the rev range is great and the high speed sure-footed handling is a joy. Parts, while expensive, have been no problem and I have found that the Bombay dealers have upped their game over the past few years to provide good service so much so that I switched back to dealer maintenance after using a private garage for over 3 years. Overall build quality is strong but the interiors and plastics have left a little to be desired. Regardless, given its high fun quotient, I highly recommend the Palio.
Old 30th September 2009, 11:52   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makesh View Post
Hi Friends,
I am in touch with fellow Bhpian Beejay who has a Palio 1.6 Gtx (lucky his company used to pay him for the drive!)
It's "India", Let's Vote!
Makesh, Unfortunately I have hence quit and now have to foot the fuel bills myself. Both my CJ 340 and GTX are guzzlers their own way and I don't mind
spending a bit extra on these machines. The feeling of ownership coupled with the rush while driving them is priceless. I must say that the GTX is quite fuel efficient in comparison with the CJ340, that is.
This is sure going to get nasty, yet here it goes,
Its the GTX over the Ikon any day. It does not even need a poll.

Last edited by beejay : 30th September 2009 at 12:11.
Old 30th September 2009, 12:12   #9
BHPian

Thanks Guys,

Krf1- Boot is not a requriment but is always an added advantage, as you mentoined the spares & service tilt scales towerds the Ikon. Having owned a 1.3 and still own for 4 years I have had not much of an expense or none!

vkochar- As you said rightly M & M (Maruti and Mitsubushu!) command a huge resale value down south, have not seen a baleno or a lancer bellow 3L.

vivekji05- Boy you must be having so much with these twins!, I agree with your point the rear looses grip, but what is the max you have gone in Ikon, 160? ro what is the max speed/ drivable max speeds in a four lane.

finneyp- Even mine, but they are becoming a rarer breed day by day.

BlackPearl- Mine too!

Ragtop- Sold!, I am not sure if you remember me but I had spoken to you about your car and some lucky guy must have got it, I am still GTX less. (of topic: what price?)

beejay- Thanks yar, without you I would have been so lost.
Old 30th September 2009, 12:20   #10
BHPian

Makesh, If you are really addicted to torque why don't you look into BS II baleno's, I recently brought a baleno, before making my choice I has the fusion & the 1.6 GTX in my list. But from service and practicality point of view I went for the baleno...

You will get a 2k4 baleno, II Owner for 2 lakhs in Chennai..

Last edited by Mr_Bean : 30th September 2009 at 12:22.
Old 30th September 2009, 13:58   #11
BANNED

He has shortlisted the two and LOL everyone wants to suggest one of this own.

Among the two I would pick the Ikon with eyes closed.
Old 30th September 2009, 18:41   #12
BHPian

Mr Bean- I choose these cars because a good condition Baleno or a Lancer is not anywere close to my price, I recently picked up a ANHC so spent a lot and cannot expand the budget, but will be happy if I could get a Baleno for the price, Do you have a source?

Zaks- Any reason for picking the Ikon straightaway?
Old 30th September 2009, 18:57   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Makesh, I have not driven a ikon 1.6 so can't comment on that but the GTX is indeed a good car and a total VFM FTD car.

However, the BIG question is finding a decent GTX out there. Believe me, even 1-1.5 years ago, when I picked up the Palio 1.6 S10, I could NOT find even one decent GTX out there. Most of the examples out there were sure candidates of driving to the workshop more often than elsewhere.

So be careful before you choose either way. Rest of the +ve's/-ve's have already been pointed out quite nicely by other folks here.
Old 30th September 2009, 19:34   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makesh View Post
vivekji05- Boy you must be having so much with these twins!, I agree with your point the rear looses grip, but what is the max you have gone in Ikon, 160?
Get the Palio 1.6, if you dont need a boot. It feels much more manageable on the limit. But I suggest you drive a good Ikon before you settle for the Palio GTX. Chances are that you will love it.

I haven't pushed it beyond 140kmph. The rear end coming round is a good feeling, if you can correct it. Losing it would be catastrophic though.
Old 1st October 2009, 15:20   #15
BHPian

palio 1.6 all the way dude!
ikon spares are damn expensive maan ,though they might be easire to get.
Have driven ikon and used to own a petra 1.6 . the power of the palio engine is sure to drive you crazy and the high way stability is an added bonus.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks