Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2009, 16:39   #1
Senior - BHPian

A hopeful Sequel to my T.Mist 1.6 GTX

I drive a 2002 T. Mist Palio 1.6 GTX for the past 6 years now. The car has clocked 115000 kms till date and is still going strong.
I must admit that there are some issues, the suspension is one of them and needs to be looked after soon. The timing belt needs to be replaced and the starting motor serviced.
For a car of its age and clocking the interiors are still clean except for a few cigarette holes in the front seats. The paint is okay and the clear coat has peeled off on the roof. AFAIK, this is a common phenomena on many a GTX and have seen some cars with the same problem, especially the Tangerine Mist.

Of recent I noticed a pristine 1.6 GTX in town. The car is a 2001 Dec model, registered in 2002. Galaxy black. This is a very subtle shade of dark grey and I have hardly seen many of the same colour around. The car has been exceptionally well maintained except for a few minor scratches on the bonnet. The tyres are completely bald too. Apart from this the car is excllent. To be honest, it would give my T. Mist a complex in terms of mechanical and eletricals. The car has done 46000 kms and was run by a very old gentleman and was his fourth car at home. The car does not have the original alloys and runs on discs.
This is another thing I needed to clarify, the discs look different from the 1.2 discs and are made by Fumagalli and manufactured in Brazil. Is this stock for the 1.6GTX?

My cousin has been after my car for a long time now, 6 years to be exact and I had promised him he would be the first to know if I am selling the same. The plates make him go crazy. The other day I asked him if he would like to pick my car and he was escatic and came home immediately. I told him I am just looking around and am not sure and might change my mind.

Now for the dilema, does it make sense for me to sell of my T. Mist GTX to my cousin and pick up the G. Black GTX. I test drove the car this afternoon and am in a fix since then. The ride was defintely better than my old car irrespective of the fact that the tyres are bald. This is when I realised my suspension does not exist. The car was a lot newer on the inside too. The gearshift was also cosiderably better than my ride.

I would need to shell out more as the asking price on the G. Black is more than the price I would get off my T. Mist GTX. I have asked my cousin a very fair price and told him the reason for the same, suspension work et all.
He is sure to pick up the car and I have asked him some time for me to decide.

Listing out the T. Mist GTX.
Positives
1. Has been with me for a while.
2. The plates, TN43B007.
Negatives
1. Clocked more than a lakh.
2. Suspenison issues.
3. Needs a coat of paint soon.
4. Hooked after driving the balck GTX.
5. The black comparitivley newer to the T. Mist in more ways than one.

Whats your opinion guys? Should I stick to my existing T. Mist or pick up the G. Black?

Last edited by beejay : 1st October 2009 at 16:41. Reason: Typo error
Old 1st October 2009, 16:48   #2
JRD
BHPian

I would say calculate the cost of fixing up all the things in your car. Chances are that it will be more reasonable to fix up your car rather then buying a used GTX and inheriting a whole new list of problems + the cost of putting tyres etc.

Atleast with your GTX, you are aware of all the issues hence no surprise part failures.
Old 1st October 2009, 16:53   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRD View Post
I would say calculate the cost of fixing up all the things in your car. Chances are that it will be more reasonable to fix up your car rather then buying a used GTX and inheriting a whole new list of problems + the cost of putting tyres etc.

Atleast with your GTX, you are aware of all the issues hence no surprise part failures.
A very valid & rational suggestion. Maybe, get both of the cars checked for what needs to be fixed/done and calculate the costs. The one good thing for the black/grey GTX is the 46K mileage done vs the 1L+ mileage done in your GTX.

Also, if you have got bored of your GTX and feel this will make things exciting for you gain, then what the hell, go for it. After all GTX is a matter of heart and not the mind
Old 1st October 2009, 16:54   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRD View Post

I worked that out too and considering the fact that I have had the older one for a while now I am sure to expect more problems very soon.
The tyres should not be a problem. I have a somewhat decent set with me that I can use.
The Black on the other hand looks, sounds and feels much better.
Old 1st October 2009, 16:54   #5
BHPian

hmmm...... if the repairs on the t.mist are not too much and can be accomplished below say 20K, i think you should do that.

the g black will further depreciate when u decide to sell it as it would be the 3rd owner.

and i honestly believe that the 1.6 has a lower limit to the depreciation as there are 1.6 enthusiasts everywhere.

save up a lil longer and get the punto when they plonk in a bigger engine.
Old 1st October 2009, 17:02   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
A very valid & rational suggestion. Maybe, get both of the cars checked for what needs to be fixed/done and calculate the costs. The one good thing for the black/grey GTX is the 46K mileage done vs the 1L+ mileage done in your GTX.

Also, if you have got bored of your GTX and feel this will make things exciting for you gain, then what the hell, go for it. After all GTX is a matter of heart and not the mind
This is the second time round that I need to buy something with my heart. And as you have rightly said, I am getting a bit bored of my old GTX and I think I might just pull it of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharanramesh View Post
hmmm...... if the repairs on the t.mist are not too much and can be accomplished below say 20K, i think you should do that.

the g black will further depreciate when u decide to sell it as it would be the 3rd owner.

and i honestly believe that the 1.6 has a lower limit to the depreciation as there are 1.6 enthusiasts everywhere.

save up a lil longer and get the punto when they plonk in a bigger engine.
I have seen some GTX around for sale and junk cars get sold pretty high. This car is exceptionally well maintained and am sure is worth the price.
Old 1st October 2009, 17:30   #7
Senior - BHPian

Apologise for the back to back post, however even if the Punto does roll out a 1.6 heart I would not be too kicked about it. Depreciation is minimal for the GTX and there is a huge fan following the same. The GTX is becoming a rarer breed by the day and I am sure many here would agree to the same.

Last edited by Rehaan : 1st October 2009 at 21:40. Reason: Sorry beejay but theres no way we can grant you permission to edit a post. Report Post the required changes & we'll apply em
Old 1st October 2009, 18:51   #8
BHPian

Beejay my suggestion is to go for the Black GTX. Once you set your eyes on the car its hard to take your eyes off her. Anyway considering the miles and the maintenance I am sure it won’t require much maintenance cost at least for the next year or so.

P.S : Your car registration number is really awesome.
Old 2nd October 2009, 11:07   #9
Senior - BHPian

That is one hell of a frustrating dilemma!

Is there any way you can buy the black one and keep your 007?

At 1.15L Km on the odo you have used about half the engine life and are about half way to an overhaul, on that account the black one makes sense. Looking at things pessimistically, I would say the black and the 007 will cost about the same to maintain over the next two years (except for the engine) i.e. both will need re-painting, suspension overhaul, tyres etc. As JRD mentioned, the new car comes with its own list of problems but rare is the GTX owner who admits that another car is better than his own, so I guess the black one is really better than your present ride.

As Khan Sultan has said, GTXs are cars that rule your heart and buying the black one might be the beggining of a great new exciting romance.

I wish you luck on solving this one.

Cheers,

P.S.: IIRC the GTX never came with steel wheels but came with alloys made in Brazil. One possibility is that the dealer swapped the original alloys for the stepneys of 4 GTXs and sold 4 GTXs with 5 alloys (some buyers insist on this).
Old 2nd October 2009, 11:26   #10
JVH
Senior - BHPian

If there were a 1.4 T-jet or 1.6 MJD floating around in the market, I would have suggested either of these as an upgrade to your GTX. Sigh!

If I were you I would have picked up the black GTX, its selling point being the engine life. It is ripe for sure and this should be the point to pull you towards the black beauty. The other niggling issues will not cost you much compared to what you can achieve by driving the beauty. Oh! I need not tell you this, you already own one

Buy it and crunch the miles
Old 2nd October 2009, 12:16   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElantraGT View Post
P.S : Your car registration number is really awesome.
Thanks ElantraGT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
That is one hell of a frustrating dilemma!

Is there any way you can buy the black one and keep your 007?

P.S.: IIRC the GTX never came with steel wheels but came with alloys made in Brazil. One possibility is that the dealer swapped the original alloys for the stepneys of 4 GTXs and sold 4 GTXs with 5 alloys (some buyers insist on this).
I would not be able to run both the GTX. I wish I could though.

The owner had changed the wheels as one of them had cracked. I have never seen any GTX on discs and the design is different from the normal discs as on the 1.2. These are made in Brazil by Fumagalli.

I thought you would be knowing as you had changed the wheels on your GTX. But I now see that your car too had run on the OE alloys and have now been swapped for the Linea wheels.
The GTX discs must be unique as they are made in Brazil too, unable to find any markings on my T. mist alloys to see even if the same are made by Fumagalli.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
If I were you I would have picked up the black GTX, its selling point being the engine life. It is ripe for sure and this should be the point to pull you towards the black beauty. The other niggling issues will not cost you much compared to what you can achieve by driving the beauty. Oh! I need not tell you this, you already own one

Buy it and crunch the miles
The 007 is too close to my heart.
The whole scene of me having to test drive the car was by itself was pure co incidence. I had fixed an appointment for another person who failed to turn up to inspect the car. The owner was a very cranky person and I had to save my face, so I turned up with my cousin at the promised time at Td the car.

Last edited by beejay : 2nd October 2009 at 12:30. Reason: typo error and added more info
Old 3rd October 2009, 10:50   #12
BHPian

That person would be me, Sorry Benny.

You are a great person, after all this you still have kind heart to point the Palio in Classifides, I am sure to get a Palio to get your confidence back.

Cheers,

Makesh.
Old 3rd October 2009, 10:58   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makesh View Post
That person would be me, Sorry Benny.

You are a great person, after all this you still have kind heart to point the Palio in Classifides, I am sure to get a Palio to get your confidence back.

Cheers,

Makesh.
Hey Makesh thanks, I have experienced the GTX effect for quite a long time now and love it when others show the same interest in the same. Its always good to know there are takers for good fast cars irrespective of other consequences. I know you are in genuine search for a GTX and wish you find one soon.

BTW, the car has been removed from the classifieds here. The car is for your taking anytime you like to have a look at the same. I have decided to stick with my 007 for the time being. IMO, I really do not think you should miss this one out. Good cars like this are hard to come by.
Old 22nd December 2009, 10:47   #14
BHPian

Benny, isn't it time to let the cat out of the bag!
Old 22nd December 2009, 10:56   #15
Senior - BHPian

Well, I have sold of my T. Mist GTX and am planning to pick up the G. Black soon. Will keep you updated.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks