Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2009, 22:28   #1
BHPian

Buying a used Ford Fusion

To day I have seen a ford fusion for one of my friend ho is intrested in buying one.Please suggest what checks should I do to avoid surprise spending later.

Model : Ford Fusion +
MonYear: Sep05
KM driven: 42000
Ownership: Single

First Test drive Experience : Good but little bit rattling in the rear.
I heard Hyraulic steering problem in 2005 model.Is it true?
Please share your ownership experience and Spareparts availability/Cost in Hyderabad
Is it a good buy @ 3.4 Lakhs??If not what could be best price?
Old 5th October 2009, 09:15   #2

i would go for a fabia instead
Old 5th October 2009, 09:24   #3
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Fusion is a good vehicle but in all probability it is going out of production quite soon in which case spare parts could be a pain and definitely its re-sale/ residual value will take a beating. It never had a very high re-sale value to start with so you can imagine.

For similar space and comfort + reliability + residual value it might be sensible for you to consider an used Hyundai Getz instead.
Old 5th October 2009, 12:49   #4
Team-BHP Support

I agree with what shankar.balan mentioned. I have 2005 fusion. Have not seen any hydraulic steering problem. But I guess there is no point in buying a used Fusion, unless you really like it for its practicality.

I am saying this in-spite of owning a Fusion+ and being satisfied with it for 4.5 years. If Ford stops production of Fusion, you will have trouble getting spares. Although many spares may also be shared with Fiesta (Others may correct me if I am wrong), but yet it will be a difficult proposition.

Look for a different vehicle. But having said that even I am struggling to find a replacement for my Fusion, as no other car gives me the clearance and high seating position, which Fusion provides.
Old 5th October 2009, 12:55   #5
Senior - BHPian

It would be a safer bet to go for the Getz as shankar.balan has mentioned.
You could also consider the Swift. There should be very little surprise spending on this.
Old 5th October 2009, 13:00   #6
BANNED

the only few vehicles which might give one the same high GC and SUV like stance are the new breed of crossovers like the Fiat Sedici/ SX4 Hatch, Daihatsu Terios and others which are mentioned in that crossover thread.

Unfortunately these are not available in India yet. Skoda Yeti when it gets launched may be one more option but will have to be evaluated once it comes in.

Used cars - unfortunately the only vehicles that are comparable with the Fusion in some manner are 1; Getz (which is good), 2; Fiat Adventure (which also is now phased out and would be dicey to buy) 3; Used Chevy Forester which is petrol driven, is quite a gas guzzler and has the same problem of having been phased out already plus non availability and high cost of parts, 4; Tata Indigo Marina - which could, at a pinch be considered because it is a pretty functional vehicle, all things considered, though there are likely to be some niggles here and there plus overall image issues etc and 5; a newer Fusion+ - however we ve just been discussing why the Fusion per se is not the best buy around.

this segment is one of growing importance for small/ medium families who like / want/ need a station wagon - and I do believe we will see some action in this segment in the coming 2 or 3 years when all the manufacturers will rush to plug the hole that currently exists in this segment! (I am also keenly watching this segment since it interests me greatly.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I agree with what shankar.balan mentioned. I have 2005 fusion. Have not seen any hydraulic steering problem. But I guess there is no point in buying a used Fusion, unless you really like it for its practicality.

I am saying this in-spite of owning a Fusion+ and being satisfied with it for 4.5 years. If Ford stops production of Fusion, you will have trouble getting spares. Although many spares may also be shared with Fiesta (Others may correct me if I am wrong), but yet it will be a difficult proposition.

Look for a different vehicle. But having said that even I am struggling to find a replacement for my Fusion, as no other car gives me the clearance and high seating position, which Fusion provides.
Old 5th October 2009, 14:10   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manne View Post

Please share your ownership experience and Spareparts availability/Cost in Hyderabad
I own a 2005 FF+. Couple of Ford guys are coming to my office today to check out the Hydraulics issue. This problem seems to be there in one of the 2005 batch. It seems like Ford is actively checking out each vehicles for this issue. If the problem is there with the car then they will replace the faulty parts free of cost.

About the availability of spare parts, lots of FF parts are shared between Fiesta so they are easily available. But the Fusion specific spare parts may take max 1-2 weeks to arrive, as they order it on demand from their Chennai hub. The Quality of Service at Hyderabad is just average, I had better servicing experience from Ford A** from outside Hyd. Any way the service experience is better than what it used to be 1 year back.

Please remember that FF is still in production and not yet discontinued.
Old 5th October 2009, 16:53   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
the only few vehicles which might give one the same high GC and SUV like stance are the new breed of crossovers like the Fiat Sedici/ SX4 Hatch, Daihatsu Terios and others which are mentioned in that crossover thread.

Unfortunately these are not available in India yet. Skoda Yeti when it gets launched may be one more option but will have to be evaluated once it comes in.

Used cars - unfortunately the only vehicles that are comparable with the Fusion in some manner are 1; Getz (which is good), 2; Fiat Adventure (which also is now phased out and would be dicey to buy) 3; Used Chevy Forester which is petrol driven, is quite a gas guzzler and has the same problem of having been phased out already plus non availability and high cost of parts, 4; Tata Indigo Marina - which could, at a pinch be considered because it is a pretty functional vehicle, all things considered, though there are likely to be some niggles here and there plus overall image issues etc and 5; a newer Fusion+ - however we ve just been discussing why the Fusion per se is not the best buy around.

this segment is one of growing importance for small/ medium families who like / want/ need a station wagon - and I do believe we will see some action in this segment in the coming 2 or 3 years when all the manufacturers will rush to plug the hole that currently exists in this segment! (I am also keenly watching this segment since it interests me greatly.)
Even I was waiting for the Yeti. All depends on its pricing and the Skoda after sales, which is playing a huge part on my mind.

But still I have I hopes on the vehicle.
Old 5th February 2010, 18:32   #9
BHPian

Its official - Ford Fusion has stopped production. I went to Pune - Planet ford today and the guy told me I cant book it !!! Though for some reason, it still shows up on their web site. May be they do not have the money to update the site???
Old 5th February 2010, 21:38   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Fusion is a good vehicle but in all probability it is going out of production quite soon in which case spare parts could be a pain and definitely its re-sale/ residual value will take a beating. It never had a very high re-sale value to start with so you can imagine.

For similar space and comfort + reliability + residual value it might be sensible for you to consider an used Hyundai Getz instead.
After Figo's launch, Fusion's charm and market value will reduce. This aspect can work out to be a good negotiation factor while buying used Fusion. Ford Fusion/ Ikon is a pleasurable drive and satisfies an enthusiast compared to Getz. Driving a Getz is not as much involving as Fusion/ Ikon. Support for Fusion should continue for next 5-6 years if it goes out of production. Reliability of Ford vehicles has not been an issue going by the feed backs from my friends and relatives having Ford vehoicles, but, resale value is certainly a problem area.
Old 12th February 2010, 21:00   #11
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by manne View Post
To day I have seen a ford fusion for one of my friend ho is intrested in buying one.Please suggest what checks should I do to avoid surprise spending later.

Model : Ford Fusion +
MonYear: Sep05
KM driven: 42000
Ownership: Single

First Test drive Experience : Good but little bit rattling in the rear.
i had planned to buy the fusion initially, but a visit to the local ford service centre put paid to my plane. the service guys succeeded in changing my decision. according to them, the car has a problem with body rattle that they are not able to localise leave alone rectify.they also warned me that if i were to enter the showroom and enquire aBOUT IT, some persuasive salesman would probably sell me the car. Look around my friend and see how many ford showrooms have the car in their display? (i am yet to find a single such showroom at chennai). i would simply say, forget it!
Old 16th February 2010, 19:32   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by handsofsteel View Post
i had planned to buy the fusion initially, but a visit to the local ford service centre put paid to my plane. the service guys succeeded in changing my decision. according to them, the car has a problem with body rattle that they are not able to localise leave alone rectify.they also warned me that if i were to enter the showroom and enquire aBOUT IT, some persuasive salesman would probably sell me the car. Look around my friend and see how many ford showrooms have the car in their display? (i am yet to find a single such showroom at chennai). i would simply say, forget it!
Never had such problems. Only reason, you should not buy a Fusion is that, it does not have a Future. Ford has also stopped taking bookings. Having said that, I have had 5 fun filled years with my Fusion.
Old 16th February 2010, 23:34   #13
Senior - BHPian

Ford India to phase out Fusion with launch of Figo.
<http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/articleshow/5579362.cms>

Its official now. It won't be a wise decision to go in for a used Fusion.
Old 10th March 2010, 12:26   #14
JLN
BHPian

used ford fusion advice

hi,

i found a used ford fusion TDCi Oct 2008 model, 15000 kms, alloy wheels. the owner is asking 5 lacs. is it worth buying this from a maintenance perspective , especially now that fusion production has been stopped.

other options i have are: 2009 fiat linea emotion pack 18000 kms with leather at around 7.5 lacs, 2009 honda city new Smt with 12500 kms at 8 lacs. corolla 2007 base model 25000 kms for 6.5 lacs. 2007 honda city gxi auto 35000 kms at 6.5 lakhs. budget is not an issue with any of them. a;; the cars are single owner, look reasonable well maintained. just want a good car for combined hwy/city use with reasonable maintenance costs and ease of ownership. please advice. annual drive will be around 12000 kms. currently upgarding from a tata indica turbo dlg.

Last edited by JLN : 10th March 2010 at 12:32.
Old 10th March 2010, 13:48   #15
BANNED

As I understand it Ford has generally cleaned up its after sales service act.
However the Fusion is being phased out by them and will not be around for much longer, which should certainly have a bearing on reducing its overall re-sale values.
Having said this, it shares a fair number of parts with its cousin, the Fiesta and a few parts with its older cousin, the Ikon and therefore it may not be too difficult to maintain over the foreseeable 2-3 year horizon.
I would still venture that Rs 5 Lacs is a tad high - despite the vehicle being a 2008 Oct model on account of the fact that it is being phased out from the market place.

The Fusion Plus TDCI with ABS etc cost about 8.01 lacs in Bangalore, in 2008.

Typically, given the fact that they are phasing it out, the price should have dropped by at least 3.5 lacs to 4 lacs over the last couple of years.

If it is indeed a Fusion Plus TDCI with ABS and it is in top condition, you should bargain for 4.25 - 4.5 lacs. (taking into consideration that you are effectively getting a 1.5 year old Fusion and the fact that the existing owner will be as aware as you are about Ford's discontinuation plan on the Fusion.)

Else its a very good vehicle and didnt succeed simply on account of bad marketing, unrealistic pricing levels and the fact that cross-overs/ station wagons, typically find zero resonance with the car-buyers in our marketplace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLN View Post
hi,

i found a used ford fusion TDCi Oct 2008 model, 15000 kms, alloy wheels. the owner is asking 5 lacs. is it worth buying this from a maintenance perspective , especially now that fusion production has been stopped.

other options i have are: 2009 fiat linea emotion pack 18000 kms with leather at around 7.5 lacs, 2009 honda city new Smt with 12500 kms at 8 lacs. corolla 2007 base model 25000 kms for 6.5 lacs. 2007 honda city gxi auto 35000 kms at 6.5 lakhs. budget is not an issue with any of them. a;; the cars are single owner, look reasonable well maintained. just want a good car for combined hwy/city use with reasonable maintenance costs and ease of ownership. please advice. annual drive will be around 12000 kms. currently upgarding from a tata indica turbo dlg.

Most Viewed