Team-BHP - Used Zen vs new Zen
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Hatchbacks (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchbacks/)
-   -   Used Zen vs new Zen (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchbacks/6760-used-zen-vs-new-zen.html)

Folks , need your inputs on this :

A friend of mine, here in Kolkata, has zeroed in on the Zen.
His requirements which drove this choice:

# Must be a Maruti
# Price <= 3.5L
# Hassle free ownership experience
# Good Mileage
# Avg daily travel 40km
# Will keep the car for min 5 years
# Is NOT a car enthusiast :)
# Wants a car to take him from pt A to B in comfort
# Self driven
# Will buy within August

Now he is weighing two options.

* A known, sedate owner driven (professor) 2001 Zen LX, 30K kms, for around 1.8 L (Tax paid till 2009)

* New Zen LXi

I am pushing him to go for the new zen.

It would be great if you guys could put forth your comments on which would be a better buy and why ?

I'd suggest the new Zen too, provided, he can live with the new design.
Since he's going to keep the car for a minimum of 5 years, the cost of maintainence will be relatively cheaper than the old Zen.
Secondly, when he'll sell the car 5 years down the he'll get a better value for the car.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shravan316
I'd suggest the new Zen too, provided, he can live with the new design.

Thanks.

Looks are also not that important to him.

Though I can't help adding that even for a person who is not exactly 'into' cars, he does have a verrrry strong opinion about the looks of the NHC :D

hey dude

if budget aint a problem (since his budget is 3.5)..he should definately go for the New Zen Lxi...
new car is a new car dude ..you never know what kind of problems may come up in a 2nd hand car whereas a new car will come with warranty free service so no tension for atleast 1 or 2 years ..the new Lxi will provide a power steering ,fresher interiors ..clear lamps etc ..well the bumpers and the tail lamps are in a mess but cant do much about it ..
further as shravan mentioned ,he will also get a decent resale after 5 years ...

I think that the new Zen is an absolute waste of money! Its horrendously overpriced for a 15 year old design that is outclassed by most other cars (from its competitors in the same market segment). Also, Its too cramped and has horrible ride quality.

If he is absolutely keen on a Zen, tell him to take advantage of depreciation and go for a used buy. If inclined toward a new car, theres a lot more on offer from other car makers.

GTO

I would have said that GTo, but his friend wants to keep the car for 5 years and be Mechanic & hassle free

In that case a new car - any new car is the way to go

a 2001 zen even if its just 30K on the clock will be saying hello the owrkshop for minor repairs within 6 months of purchase

But which Zen that travels 40 kms a day will not visit the mechanic or start rattling on Kolkatas roads?
If he is buying a new car, the Zen is CRAP in comparision to other CHEAPER MARUTI VEHICLES like the WagonR.
I would advise him to save money and buy an NEW ALTO LXi or a WagonR Lxi (cheaper and has same discounts then zen).
The Zen sales are falling slowly slowly and by the time he goes to sell it he will get a crap resale value.
If he is admant on a Zen then tell him to get the used one.
Either way, even the new one will start rattling soon so he might as well save 1.5L (taking into account that the old zen requires 20K worth of work.)

How about a 2nd hand Zen D? Great mileage, can be had for the price, and it's a Maruti.

unfortunately he wants a petrol zen !!

has somehow given the thumbs up to the zen although initially was going the Alto way ..

have been feeding him all these comments .. he'll probably decide next week ..

I wouldnt buy used unless I am strained. A new car is always the way to go.

I would say NO NO to Zen,

But if he is ONLY thinking about a Zen, Then go for a used Zen...

Reasons:
1. Its only Driven 30Km,
2. Professor Driven (would be very well Maintainence)
3. Its for 1.8L with Tax Paid for another 4 years,
4. He will not have a Huge Loss if he plans to sell it Within 5 years.

Thanks for all the views and inputs ..

its been decided and done with .. we went yesterday and he booked a beam blue zen lxi ..

also got some negative feedback on the swift (will post it in the swift hype thread) and ...
since I was there, took the op to drive the baleno too ...

mods can close this thread , since the car has been bought ..

Zen is crap car to buy for new. But if he HAS to buy zen, get the used one. Save 2 Lakhs on it. There's no way the car is going to make a repair bill of 2lakhs. Also, 5years down the line, he wouldn't get much for the new car anyway. So resale shouldn't be the top criteria.