Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2009, 21:58   #1
BHPian

Its Time finally for the Hunt

After much thought and waiting for the elusive increments at work, we have finally arrived at a decision to go for a new car.

We have a old Zen currently (1995 model) and the car has been showing its age for some time now. A weak suspension, we can say almost non-existent, weakening chassis, etc etc. I have to add here inspite of these, the car drives like a dream and is still so smooth.

Ok, now to the choices. OUr Budget is strictly between 4 to 4.5 lakhs (OTR price). After browsing through T-BHP and reading various threads we shortlisted 3 cars around this price band.

1. Maruti WagonR Vxi
2. Hyundai Getz 1.1 (SE)
3. Fiat Punto 1.2 Active

We are not sure of what car to decide on. Test Driven both WagonR and Getz and was very impressed with Getz. Loads of space inside and very impressive performance. I was not sure about the 1.1 engine, but it was way better than what I thought. It pulled from 3rd gear at 20 km/h with AC on quite impressively.

For this price I do get the high-end WagonR and the test drive didnt impress me much. Ride was Ok, but the Gear felt stiff. Pickup was actually slow than the Getz. Reliable car and the Maruti Service Network give an advantage to this car.

Punto, I really love the car and the way she looks . But I am put off by the careless attitude of the dealers and the terrible reputation of the A.S.S. I have not got the chance to test drive this car yet, but I dont know if I would get a 1.2 verison to test.

So here guys is my dilemma. Do I go for the high-end WagonR, the 1.1 Getz (SE) or the Fiat PUnto 1.2 Active Petrol. I would like to see your advice as right now Im leaning towards the Getz. I was impressed with the sales guy at Trident Hyundai and Mandovi. The TATA dealers, when I went to check Indica earlier, they were not even bothered to come and talk.
Old 17th October 2009, 22:35   #2
Senior - BHPian

Hi KRRaj

No doubt Wagon R is a great utilitarian car - we have one at home (my uncle's). But don't you think its a generation too old?
Same goes with the Getz - it was a wrongly priced car at its time, and now its on the brink of pullout. And why the 1.1 and not 1.3?
Any reasons for not considering Ritz/i10 (ritz lxi/vxi and i10 dlite/era/magna/sportz fit into your budget I guess)? They are the new generation cars - and considering that you are also open to punto, IMO you do not seem to be averse to new gen cars!
Old 17th October 2009, 22:42   #3
Senior - BHPian

1) Wagon R is the best choice for you IMO. The car has an engine that is almost perfect for its size which does give advantage when it comes to driving with load.
Next, this is a proven product and overall is cheaper to run and maintain than others you have listed. A.S & S. network is an added advantage.

2) Althought Getz is nice, it will return less FE as compared to Wagon R. Next, its not very successful though its not bad. It will be more expensive to maintain than Wagon R. Driving with load on highways will not be easy specially overtaking. Wagon R has an advantage here.

3) GP is a nice car, but the recent threads about GP buying experience and A.S & S. issues is does not inspire confidence, but much depends upon location. GP 1.2 is a car that is not very fast, but ride and handling is good. This car is not using available space very efficiently.

Out of the three cars you have listed, IMO, Wagon R is the best. It utilizes the available space very efficiently, has got good visibility and the higher seating position is useful for city driving. The high seating position + good visibility is very good combination for city driving.

EDIT 1 : Before the usual Fiat war starts, I want to provide a couple of links here :
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-new-post.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...car-scene.html

Again I repeat, A.S & S. is very much location dependent, but overall, flucutation in quality of A.S & S. varies wildly in case of Fiat as compared to Maruti ( or even toyota and Hyundai ).

EDIT 2 :
Why you did not consider Ritz ?
The prices of Ritz for Banglore city ( mostly ex-showroom ):
RITZ LXI BS IV 388367.88
RITZ ZXI BS IV 480417.08
RITZ VXI ( ABS) BS IV 443701.89
RITZ VXI BS IV 418683.43

Last edited by aaggoswami : 17th October 2009 at 22:50.
Old 17th October 2009, 22:54   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRRaj View Post

I have not got the chance to test drive this car yet, but I dont know if I would get a 1.2 verison to test.
I believe concorde ( dairy circle ) has a 1.2 TD punto, check it out.
Old 18th October 2009, 01:14   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Though not in the list i would suggest you to try out the Santro. Its very peppy at low and midrange plus the handling and steering is much better than what budget Maruti cars like Estilo and WagonR offer.

Punto 1.2 is a underpowered car, it wont be as fun to drive. Swift/Ritz Lxi is another option i would suggest.

Last edited by .anshuman : 18th October 2009 at 01:16.
Old 18th October 2009, 01:53   #6
Team-BHP Support

Moderator's Note: Thread closed. Please search for the relevant threads before starting a new one. Suggested links:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatch...tz-petrol.html (New zen Estilo or Wagon R or Ritz Petrol?)
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatch...1-1-1-3-a.html (Hyundai Getz Prime 1.1/1.3)
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatch...i10-kappa.html (getz GLS to getz GLX or i10 kappa?)
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks