Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2009, 20:58   #31
BHPian

My Thing is that, you wait some more time, who knows MUL always surpises with products. Me too heard about the new Alto for 2010 with BS4.
Old 12th November 2009, 21:05   #32
Senior - BHPian

My take is that Maruti is simply clearing inventory of the Alto by offering the goodies.There was no reason to spruce up the Alto with all the goodies as it is already a best selling car.

If you can do without a car for 6 months wait for the new k-series Alto.
Old 13th January 2010, 14:43   #33
Team-BHP Support

Alto, 800 or New(when?) Alto

There were lots of 800 vs Alto threads, but this seemed to be the closest to my query.

Well to cut the long story short, the Indica is aging. Things are making noise here and there, and though there have not been any breakdowns for 2 years now, I think its due to the fact she's run probably 10000kms in the past two years, if not less.

So with 110,000kms on the odo, its time to sell her, and replace her with a small hatch.

I know the hatch market is very exciting now with all sorts of new cars in the 3-4L offering excitement and features. But the purpose of our new car would be very different.

We want a small car, with front legroom enough for a 6 footer + which can take you from point A to point B and be dirt cheap to maintain and buy. Used cars are no no, we want to buy brand new.

So naturally, there are three contenders
1. Nano
2. 800
3. Alto

Nano is the most VFM, but I am worried that in the travel from point A to point B it may decide to go to the service station now and then. Since I have owned multiple tata's I do not believe its possible to own a tata car which can do without unscheduled maintenance.

Hence the option 1 is out.

Now 800 seems to be a no brainer, but it lacks even side impact beams, and the front legroom is very bad, with knees touching the dash. So its dilly dally there. But the 2.1L price for AC+Heater version is about 40-50K cheaper than the Alto.

Now coming to the Alto, this looks like the best option. But my dilemma is that what will E-IV alto have? When will it be launched.
Since Maruti will get rid of M800 come E-IV, naturally Alto will be the natural successor, and prices may go south.
So its sort of double advantage.
IF Maruti gives a K-Series engine, it will be a Peppy engine, and who knows, the E-III version may still be sold in smaller towns and a price 20-30K lower.

We are not really in a hurry, and can wait until Mar/April timeframe. So if there is a good chance to get an Alto with AC and Heater for around 2.30 ex showroom, it will be a good deal.

I know there is a Power steering version, but do you need one in an Alto, atleast the 800 does not need one.

Again, I will stress the point that anything crossing 2.90 is out because the car we need will do its duty in city only, and go doing this duty with minimal fuss and fuel. All she should take is scheduled services, and if the clutch lasts 25-30K I am happy.

Also, if long time Alto owners can share their service costs on this thread, it will help.
Old 13th January 2010, 15:10   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
TI know there is a Power steering version, but do you need one in an Alto, atleast the 800 does not need one.
Own both, LX and LXi. Would suggest LXi. A big advantage for short start-stop drive and parking.
Old 13th January 2010, 18:04   #35
BANNED

tsk1979 : Get a Lxi if your going to drive it in the city. As fare as service costs are concerned, it's never too much. Very cheap to maintain almost like a M800 !
Old 13th January 2010, 23:37   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
there is a good chance to get an Alto with AC and Heater for around 2.30 ex showroom, it will be a good deal.

I know there is a Power steering version, but do you need one in an Alto, atleast the 800 does not need one.

Again, I will stress the point that anything crossing 2.90 is out because the car we need will do its duty in city only, and go doing this duty with minimal fuss and fuel. All she should take is scheduled services, and if the clutch lasts 25-30K I am happy.

Also, if long time Alto owners can share their service costs on this thread, it will help.
Get the Alto lxi, the power steering is a boon in the city. After driving the Alto Lxi for a few days if you try out an M800 in a parking lot it'll be like driving a go-kart.

I've driven my Alto over some unimaginable terrain and its still going strong!

I did a clutch, tires, front suspension overhaul at 40000kms as well some routine servicing..just cost me around 15K
Old 14th January 2010, 11:21   #37
Team-BHP Support

I guess 8000 for the tires.. and around 7000 for clutch and suspension? That sounds nice. Whats the normal cost/km for repairs like?
Old 14th January 2010, 22:31   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I guess 8000 for the tires.. and around 7000 for clutch and suspension? That sounds nice. Whats the normal cost/km for repairs like?
Other than the regular servicing every 7000kms or so..I haven't had any problems with the car (touchwood). As for the mileage I would say around 16 in the highway and 14 in the city with AC.

I did a AC servicing at around 25k kms, cost me around a 1000 bucks.

Till about 15k kms I used to take the car to MASS but nowadays I use an independent as its quicker and cheaper besides I feel the quality of work is better.
Old 23rd January 2010, 18:11   #39
BHPian

I was also planning to buy a small car and had shortlisted the following.

1. Alto Xcite
2. Spark LS
3. Santro GLS

I felt that Santro is aging and I removed that out from the list as I felt it might be phased out soon and the i10 would take its place. Out of the remaining two, it was a difficult choice. Alto for the maintenance costs and the reputation it has been having in the forums for being a no trouble and low maintenance small car.

After taking a test drive in the Spark, I felt it was a lot more spacious than the Alto. I felt the engine was a lot silent and the car was a nice drive in the city.

GM's discounts on the car were huge and I loved the maintenance part for 3 years. So I finally decided on it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks