Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2014, 17:58   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: YAWCT - Yet another what car thread! (Safe sporty hatchback <5.25L)

FWIW, my friend bought a Punto 1.4 Emotion Pack Petrol (Delhi/massively discounted) back then, and has been really happy with his purchase, inspite of petrol prices.
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2014, 21:33   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
FWIW, my friend bought a Punto 1.4 Emotion Pack Petrol (Delhi/massively discounted) back then, and has been really happy with his purchase, inspite of petrol prices.
Surprised that he is happy, notwithstanding the petrol price inflation. But then maybe, his experience with the brand is one of a kind.
Old 12th January 2015, 16:54   #18
BHPian

The Polo would definitely be my choice. The petrol engine certainly isn't the best, but ride,handling and dual airbags certainly make up for that. Even the base variant comes with airbags! Proud of you VW!
So, I feel that the Polo(trendline,maybe?) would be the ideal choice for those on the lookout for a sporty safe hatch.
Old 24th April 2015, 10:04   #19
Senior - BHPian

I am in the process of buying a hatch - under 5.5l. The car wouldn't be driven more than 1000kms a month. I'd prefer to own a fun to drive car and am fuel agnostic. Which car would suit best?

I am getting a 'new' Dec 2014 manufactured Brio top end at around 5.8lacs on road. Does this sound like a good deal?
rrsteer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2015, 10:33   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
I am in the process of buying a hatch - under 5.5l. The car wouldn't be driven more than 1000kms a month. I'd prefer to own a fun to drive car and am fuel agnostic. Which car would suit best?

I am getting a 'new' Dec 2014 manufactured Brio top end at around 5.8lacs on road. Does this sound like a good deal?
That sounds perfect to my mind - sure beats buying a cheap entry level diesel just because everyone's doing it. It should bring a smile on your face every time you drive it as well
Old 24th April 2015, 14:17   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That is a fantastic deal and easily the best at the price point. Run through a PDI, if it looks good, pick it up. Be aware that the Brio is not as fuel efficient as one might think. Get sporty and it drinks quite a bit of gas.
Old 24th April 2015, 15:01   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
That is a fantastic deal and easily the best at the price point. Run through a PDI, if it looks good, pick it up. Be aware that the Brio is not as fuel efficient as one might think. Get sporty and it drinks quite a bit of gas.
How bad is the FE? For runabout in tier ii city, AC on, and non - sedate driving style, can I expect 13 kmpl?

Aside, I never thought highly of Liva, but of all manufacturers only Toyota offers dual airbags even in the lowest model.

I am 95% going to buy the Brio. At 5.8l and maybe even less, I'll get ABS and dual airbags in a small car. And thats no small thing in our country; it was quite astonishing for me to note that several brands don't even offer these as options in their respective hatchbacks!

Last edited by rrsteer : 24th April 2015 at 15:02.
Old 24th April 2015, 15:08   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How bad is the FE? For runabout in tier ii city, AC on, and non - sedate driving style, can I expect 13 kmpl?

Aside, I never thought highly of Liva, but of all manufacturers only Toyota offers dual airbags even in the lowest model.

I am 95% going to buy the Brio. At 5.8l and maybe even less, I'll get ABS and dual airbags in a small car. And thats no small thing in our country; it was quite astonishing for me to note that several brands don't even offer these as options in their respective hatchbacks!
If you drive quick with a heavy foot, you'll get 11-12 at max. Sometimes slides down to 10-10.5. This is in bad traffic in bangalore. Ignoring that its a lovely car for the price. Mine is going to complete 4 years in a few months and haven't had any issues whatsoever.

Last edited by reignofchaos : 24th April 2015 at 15:10.
Old 26th April 2015, 21:50   #24

Brio is a fantastic car in that price range. It may not have all the bells of whistles of a Hyundai but it's engine and the fun to drive factor more than makes up for it.

Not sure what the on road prices in Delhi are, but if the difference in price between a 2014 car and 2015 one is not much, why not go for the one that is manufactured this year? Else ensure that you do a thorough check with your PDI checklist.
Old 15th May 2016, 20:49   #25
BHPian

Reviving an old thread instead of starting a new one.

I am looking for safe small car for less than Rs.5 lakh on road in Delhi NCR. It should have dual air bags and ABS. No driver only airbag; the car will be driven mostly by my wife and my son will be in the front passenger seat most of the time.

I have looked at few options line Hyundai Eon and Chevy Spark. Safety features seems to be sadly absent in small cars. Is my search futile?
Old 15th May 2016, 21:00   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post

I am looking for safe small car for less than Rs.5 lakh on road in Delhi NCR. It should have dual air bags and ABS. No driver only airbag; the car will be driven mostly by my wife and my son will be in the front passenger seat most of the time.
Why not pick one from the Maruti stable? The WagonR is good enough if your wife would be driving most of the time, else the Alto K10 is decent fun to drive. If you can stretch a bit, you can have the Baleno Sigma (5.15 ex Delhi, means you need to stretch quite a bit) which will be a LOT better than any other vehicle at that price.

Since you have posted this in Safe Sporty Hatch thread, I assume you are looking for some fun factor also. In that case, you can look at the Alto K10, Brio (will be a stretch), Swift Petrol and Baleno Petrol also. Otherwise WagonR or Celerio are good options.

If you do not plan to sell within 5 years, don't bother spending a lakh more as a Maruti car would age very well and will not face parts/spares shortage anytime soon. Toyotas are good enough but the Petrol motor of the Liva isn't very inspiring.

In your place, I would have picked up a Swift Lxi (with airbags) or Baleno Sigma eyes closed.
biggrin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2016, 21:20   #27
BHPian

Quote:

I have looked at few options line Hyundai Eon and Chevy Spark. Safety features seems to be sadly absent in small cars. Is my search futile?
You can get Maruti Celerio LXi(O)/VXI(O) which has all the safety features under 5 lakhs. Same for Wagon R LXI(O). There are offers on going which should sweeten the deal further.

Potentially, it has been rumoured that Kwid 1.0 to be launched in June shall also have both airbags and ABS, but thats for June, and while Kwid's design is striking, I would choose the Maruti 1.0 engine.
autorahul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2016, 21:59   #28
BHPian

Quote:

Have a look at the Tiago. It is far, far superior to the Eon or the Spark.
If safety is a concern, stay clear of the Kwid/Celerio. The Kwid is lighter than a Nano, and no, it is not engineered for safety. It is engineered for maximizing the FE.
If you intend to go for Maruti, choose a Baleno. It is a more contemporary product.
Nissan1180 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2016, 22:08   #29
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The best option for you would be the Celerio LXI(O). The Tiago XM(O) and the XT(O) are the other options but sadly, they do not offer ABS.

Last edited by Aditya : 16th May 2016 at 07:25. Reason: Typo
AYP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2016, 01:25   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autorahul View Post
You can get Maruti Celerio LXi(O)/VXI(O) which has all the safety features under 5 lakhs. Same for Wagon R LXI(O). There are offers on going which should sweeten the deal further.

Potentially, it has been rumoured that Kwid 1.0 to be launched in June shall also have both airbags and ABS, but thats for June, and while Kwid's design is striking, I would choose the Maruti 1.0 engine.

Additionally, Swift LXi(o) is around 5.4 lakhs,and you can get around 20k offer. That would be a pretty great deal too.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks