Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2009, 08:43   #16

Any one knew trusted, good mechanic for Tata Indica in Bangalore? If then, please give me his contact details and I will contact for evaluating used car before buy. Since I don't have experience with car, none of my friends owned car, it will be great help for me.

You can PM me if you have any contact person.
Old 4th November 2009, 13:38   #17

Update:

Today my friend took me to a mechanic. Mechanic suggests me to for Maruti (Alto or Zen) or Santro compared to any Tata vehicles.

He says that maintenance expense is more for Tata Indica DLS Diesel.

But no one tells where the maintenance costs come from? Any idea?

How would you suggest for a newbie in car? Should I go for Zen or Indica DLS?

Is Zen going to be maintenance free?
Old 5th November 2009, 09:58   #18
BHPian

Hi, the Indica is as trouble-free, or as troublesome as any other car. If it's been serviced timely, it's going to be just fine. Since they are 2003 model year cars, the fuel injection pump (the only part in the Indica that needs attention, and if properly set, can return good fuel economy) is not as complex as the current BS-III models, and will not be much trouble to maintain as well.

Not sure why the mechanic is suggesting a Zen, as the model has been discontinued, and sourcing spare parts can becomes a challenge.
Old 5th November 2009, 16:20   #19
Senior - BHPian

Tatas have an inherently high levels of taking abuse.

That said, TATA after sales leaves much to be desired.

I don't think sourcing Zen parts will be a problem for the next couple of years. Why don't you look at the Santro?

Any particular leanings against it?
Old 5th November 2009, 16:32   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
You are sailing in the wrong direction, Kari. Don't bother about the extra fittings. Your top priority should be the mileage of the car, what shape it is in and whether the said cars are free from major damage (accident, flood, engine etc.).

Are both these cars available at the same dealer? If so, I'm willing to bet that either has been clocked back. A 6 year old Indica diesel with only 45K on the odo looks doubtful (though, of course, not impossible).
well, i dont think its relly doubtful, i have a 4 and half year old indica with just 30K on the odo, yes its on lower side, but then what one needs to check is exactly what you described, no accidents,free from damage, first owner, overall finish and wear and tear of the car.
Old 12th November 2009, 10:59   #21

Thanks all for your comments.

I almost decided not to take Indica DLS 2003 customized. The reasons, The cost of the car is 1.8 Lacs. The owner quote for extra luxuries like Alloy wheels, Tubeless tyres (they cost around 35K, it seems), White light (12K), Sony music system (12 K).

2003 Indica DLX seems to be fairly decent. I will go through other threads for check list before taking the car.

Once again, I have learnt a lot of stuffs on the car.

Mostly people upgrade to Indica V2 to Swift (got to know when talking to owners of Indica DLS for used car sale).

Most Viewed