Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th November 2009, 20:58   #31
BHPian

Swift Rattles!!

Ok, this is coming from someone who has done all kinds of roads and clocked 34K in just 10 months- does my Swift rattle? no, it does not.

Here are a couple reasons why a car would rattle- not just Swift, any car.

1. Removing dash/ door trims/bumpers/seats etc time and again to get after market stuff fixed, this really messes up the company fitting and some of the holders/clips may break.

2. Tyre pressure- most of us tend to stick to recommended PSi- thats really good, but if there is just the two of you driving most of the time in city I dont think you would need a say- 33 PSi, 31 would do and it does not affect FE unless you are someone who revs like crazy and is constantly changing gears, if you do this your FE will down anyway.

3. If the road is bad... drive slow, if you abuse the car it will surely rattle in the long run
Old 10th November 2009, 21:17   #32
BHPian

SJ, I can understand your passion and love for your D. But I have heard/read just so many horror stories of Swift that I don't want to take a plunge. Ritz scores better against Swift in all the departments except handling (as per my research). Swift D is not under consideration as it doesn't even have ABS as optional, leave alone Airbags. And also, any diesel car is out of my budget really. The 700 kms monthly running I have mentioned in the first post is also considering the fact that I will drive more once I get a car. Otherwise my usage will be for weekend visits to friends/relatives in city and occasional out of town trips once in a month or two. I don't expect it to go beyond 500 kms. So my running also does not justify a diesel car.

Petrol Swift is going to get the K series engine soon, so I don't want to invest my hard earned money into an older technology. Re your non-rattling D, you should really give lessons to other owners here on how to keep a Swift rattle free even after taking it to all kinds of terrains. You are doing a commendable job maintaining your D that way .

I appreciate your concern for me to take appropriate decision, but frankly Swift just doesn't cut it for me.

EDIT: As Ritz is based on the Swift platform, we can consider him (I too prefer referring them as he instead of she) to be Swift's little brother .

Last edited by Gandhi : 10th November 2009 at 21:21.
Old 10th November 2009, 21:31   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su-47 View Post
16.7 appears low....

.....But, somehow I am scared that the accessory folks don't handle the car with due care. What is your experience with Redsoul? Specifically, what all did they unmount for the fitment? Did they scratch your car with screw driver marks and all?....
The FE given by Team-BHP testdrive here is 16.5(Highway). Tallies well with my figure 16.7. I am happy with it.

Get it done directly by Red Soul - no worries. They do it day-in and day-out. Their location here msdivy's post dated 13 Jul 09.

My father got it done but he keeps me fully informed.

1. 12V supply and ground tapped from the Left rear reversing lamp. Involves splicing the wires and that's exactly what even the Maruti dealers and other acceessory people are going to do.

2. Four holes drilled into the Rear bumper to fix the sensors. (In this case it was on and through the rear bumper guard strip fixed earlier at Mandovi Accessories shop near Sangeetha theater, Shivajinagar. Get the bumper guard strip fixed first if you intend to go for it.)

3.Items removed:
The plastic cover running along the length of the hatch at the bottom to give access to the backside of the bumper. The cover is just fixed to the boot floor by four pushfit plastic fasteners (no screws).

The left side cover below the C pillar (a pushfit) inside the boot area to gain access to the Reverse lamp wires, fix the control Panel, connect the wire leads from the sensors, and the long lead of the LED display that will be drawn to the dash where the display is to be fixed.

The sloping left front A pillar cover (pushfit), a bit of the top door beadings running along the roofline on either side of the B Pillar, to draw the lead form the dash mounted LED display to the control panel at the rear.

The whole job was over in about 40 minutes with every thing pushed back into their positions. The screwdriver was used just to pry open the plastic covers. Done with due care by Red Soul technicians.

My father, himself a scientist-engineer (retired), is quite appreciative of the technicians who informed him of their every move while dismantling and refixing.

Don't get alarmed with the lengthy description. Even a simple job description consumes a lot of words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
.....Please give more inputs on your long drives. I will be using the car mostly on highways, so it matters a lot how the car behaved.
  • How was the handling of the car?
  • How was the comfort level at front seats? Did you feel any pain after the drives? - This is the most important factor for me.
  • FE is a bit low considering all the claims that have been made. May be your driving style?......
It is heavier than our previous Matiz, gives a firmly planted feel and an excellent and controllable drive. Has not given any uneasy feeling even in cross-winds in-spite of its tall-boy stance. No buffeting by overtaking vehicles experienced.

No complaints on the comfort level of front seats. Changing over from Matiz, we felt as comfortable as we were with the Matiz.

Absolutely no leg pain in long drives. But the same can't be said of the city driving where one clutches and declutches every other second, here in Bangalore. Even in Matiz my left leg used to weep in intense and slow stop and go traffic. In Ritz it is felt a little bit more for sure, but may be it may ease out when she puts in more miles.

FE already dealt with at the beginning of this post.
Old 10th November 2009, 21:42   #34
BHPian

I own an i10 Kappa and would give my feedback based on the same. I havent driven RITZ and hence cant comment on the relative merits of the two.

My humble 2 cents on your dilemma
Both the cars are excellent new generation cars of their segment and you can hardly go wrong with either of them. Choose one which suits your requirements more than the other and also clicks your heart. It can be very confusing to read multiple reviews and do their post processing. Do some TDs of both the cars ( different cars from different dealers ) and evaluate them based on your criteria and take the call. Additionally, I would recommend not to reject one car over the other just for lack of any minor feature which you possibly would be seldom using.

Quote:
This is my first car and will be used only by me and my wife 95% of the time.
This car will be my weekend trips companion as I will use my bike for city commute. So 95% of the time it will be on highways (though this may change after couple of years).

i10 kappa is an excellent vehicle for the highway but IMHO you might like to do a tyre upgrade just to feel more confident

My monthly usage will never exceed 700KMs.
I plan to keep the car for at least 5 years as I can't afford switching cars every 3-4 years. Hence, build quality matters lot to me, I don't want to hear rattles after say 2-3 years of usage.

You can refer to my i10 ownership report in the long term ownership report section. There has been an under steering noise which Hyundai Workshop has failed to rectify even in 2 visits but apart from it, the car has held very well with no rattling at all. I have done a couple of trips to Himachal and driven on uneven roads on the transit. I havent found any issues wrt rattling after those trips that does speak about durable build quality.

Resale doesn't really matter as I may never sell the car.
I don't want to compromise on FE, I should get around 17-18 KMPL on highways and I'd be happy.

Based on the information that I see on the forum, RITZ is slightly better than i10 in the FE department but the magnitude of this difference is not large enough for it to become the deal breaker. I have got FE close to your requirement on the highway - although fellow members on the forum have been reporting a bit lesser FE on their i10s. Note that tyre upgrade would also slightly impact the FE

Quote:
I have these questions for i10 -
I plan to upgrade the tyres to 185/60/R14 with alloys. Will this affect the FE too much?

There would be some impact on FE because of increased rolling resistance somehwere around 5-10%

How are the maintenance costs of Hyundai vehicles in long run? By maintenance cost, I mean spare parts and service costs. Will it be really expensive to maintain in long run?

The maintenance cost of Hyundai is not going to be very expensive in the long term. Its a mass car for Hyundai and they wont mess up with the spare cost pricing. If you would go into absolute mathematics of it; I still feel RITZ would be better in the department being a Maruti
Old 11th November 2009, 12:13   #35
BHPian

I was in a similiar position a month back and decided to buy an i10. Mind you the Ritz started as a favourite in the decision making process.
So what titled the balance in the favour of the i10?
1) Driveability - As a newbie, similiar to you, I found the i10 easier to drive and handle in comparison to the Ritz.
2) Space - The Ritz is cramped in the rear and the legroom is poor. I am 6 feet and I could sit comfortably in the i10 rear seat. Also tried seating three in the rear seats of both and the i10 was surely more comfortable.
3) Look and feel - Although I could live with the looks of the Ritz (especially its rear end), the i10 is certainly a better looking car. Also the interiors are better (although I would have liked to have another colour instead of beige)
4) Dealership experience - The couple of Maruti dealers I visited were uninterested and never even followed up to check if I wanted to buy their car. In comparison Hyundai gave me good service and were cordial.
5) Availability - I needed a car soon and Maruti had a two month waiting period for both the Ritz and Swift petrols.

I haven't taken it to the highway so far so I cannot comment on that part.

Hope this helps.
Old 11th November 2009, 12:37   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svaid View Post
My humble 2 cents on your dilemma
Both the cars are excellent new generation cars of their segment and you can hardly go wrong with either of them. Choose one which suits your requirements more than the other and also clicks your heart.
That's what I am not able to decide right now. I have test driven both the cars multiple times. My initial feeling is that i10 is easier to drive than Ritz, but I am not sure if I'll get used to Ritz in the long run or not as I intend to keep the car for 5+ years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAutobot View Post
I was in a similiar position a month back and decided to buy an i10. Mind you the Ritz started as a favourite in the decision making process.
So what titled the balance in the favour of the i10?
1) Driveability - As a newbie, similiar to you, I found the i10 easier to drive and handle in comparison to the Ritz.
That's my observation too, but just because of bit harder clutch in Ritz. I am not sure if it will get softened in the long run.
Quote:
2) Space - The Ritz is cramped in the rear and the legroom is poor. I am 6 feet and I could sit comfortably in the i10 rear seat. Also tried seating three in the rear seats of both and the i10 was surely more comfortable.
Rear space was never a criteria for me. 95% of the time, only 2 of us will be in the car.
Quote:
3) Look and feel - Although I could live with the looks of the Ritz (especially its rear end), the i10 is certainly a better looking car. Also the interiors are better (although I would have liked to have another colour instead of beige)
Not a deal breaker for me. Have discussed the looks aspects of the cars with wifey also, she is also convinced that practicality aspect matter more than looks for us.
Quote:
4) Dealership experience - The couple of Maruti dealers I visited were uninterested and never even followed up to check if I wanted to buy their car. In comparison Hyundai gave me good service and were cordial.
Same for me too before couple of days. I visited another showroom a day before, where the service was really really good (not in the leagues of Hyundai, but much better than other Maruti showrooms). That's where I took a real long 22 kms TD of Ritz.
Quote:
5) Availability - I needed a car soon and Maruti had a two month waiting period for both the Ritz and Swift petrols.
Not an issue for me right now. I can wait.

Quote:
I haven't taken it to the highway so far so I cannot comment on that part.

Hope this helps.
Please take her to highways and share your views. This helps. Appreciate it.
Old 11th November 2009, 12:57   #37
BANNED

Bro I would recommend you to go for Ritz. I think i10 is highky overpriced, its Santro in a new box. Since you would be driving mostly on highways Ritz would be more stable.

Also, in most of the new cars you can not see the bonney because of the curve and its only a matter of time you would be comfortable driving any car without seeing the bonnet. Its just practice, with in 2 weeks of driving you would a great driver f that car.

I TD both i10 and Ritz, i10 felt more shaky, interiors is not the only thing that you should go for.

Go for Ritz.
Old 11th November 2009, 13:31   #38
BHPian

I would say that i10 with the discounts offered today is a better DEAL! but as a car i would rate Ritz better since it feels more grown up to drive.For example take both the cars at 40kmph over a speed breaker you will get more tossed around in i10. The reason being the bigger wheels and the heavier weight of the ritz is more planted
Old 11th November 2009, 14:25   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by del.guy22 View Post
I think i10 is highky overpriced, its Santro in a new box.
i10 may be overpriced, but is definitely NOT santro in a new box.

@damodar

over speed breakers at 40 km/hr - never did that and never shall try that either.

Last edited by blackasta : 11th November 2009 at 14:28.
Old 11th November 2009, 14:35   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post

@damodar

over speed breakers at 40 km/hr - never did that and never shall try that either.
Sometimes on highways at night these unmarked speed breakers come so suddenly that you dont`t have time to react. Even if you do and say you are travelling at 80kph the speed which can brought down in general was assumed as 40kmph . Since if your tyres are locked you dont want to hit the speedbump in that condition. In such situations i tend to hit the brakes to slow the car as much as possible and then release the brakes.
Old 11th November 2009, 14:44   #41
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Yes, i10 is in the leagues of Wagon-R, Estilo and Spark, but overpriced. It is definitely not in the leagues of Swift and Ritz. Now they are giving discounts to make it comparable with Wagon-R in terms of pricing.

But Getz is in the Swift and Ritz segment.

Last edited by romeomidhun : 11th November 2009 at 14:46.
Old 11th November 2009, 15:03   #42
BHPian

Quote:
SJ, I can understand your passion and love for your D. But I have heard/read just so many horror stories of Swift that I don't want to take a plunge. Ritz scores better against Swift in all the departments except handling (as per my research).

Petrol Swift is going to get the K series engine soon, so I don't want to invest my hard earned money into an older technology. Re your non-rattling D, you should really give lessons to other owners here on how to keep a Swift rattle free even after taking it to all kinds of terrains. You are doing a commendable job maintaining your D that way .
Horror stories about Swift

Thats a first am hearing.Also regarding rattles,I had the Swift for 4 years,40K kms and not a single rattle.Most of the rattles stories are from persons who dont own a Swift

And dont forget Swift still sells 9K/month compared to the much much newer Ritz which sells 6K.
Old 11th November 2009, 15:12   #43
BHPian

Guys, a small request here. Please give comments only on i10 Asta vs Ritz Zxi. Let's not discuss which segment i10 belongs to and if it's overpriced or not.

Both these cars are similarly positioned (feature wise) and similarly priced too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joy_swift View Post
Horror stories about Swift

Thats a first am hearing.
You haven't been to this thread yet? http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ft-rattle.html
Old 11th November 2009, 15:15   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
Yes, i10 is in the leagues of Wagon-R, Estilo and Spark, but overpriced. It is definitely not in the leagues of Swift and Ritz. Now they are giving discounts to make it comparable with Wagon-R in terms of pricing.

But Getz is in the Swift and Ritz segment.
I have my uncle's WagonR parked by my i10's side , and drive it for short stints time to time. What I can say is i10 is almost identical to wagonR in dimensions etc. , but the interiors and the engine of i10 is vastly superior to WagonR. I have never driven swift/ritz, but interiors of i10 easily beats swift.
What we tend to foregt while comparing i10 with spark/wagon R/swift/ritz is that i10 has 2 engine variants and 6 trim variants, with price range from 3.3 lakh to 5.3 lakhs - so it effectively overlaps couple of sub-segments.
Old 11th November 2009, 17:40   #45
BHPian

Gandhi, the more opinions you seek, the more you are going to get confused. From your own observations, it is pretty clear that neither of the cars are inferior. Both are excellent. But, IMHO, i10 scores over Ritz in overall quality of the build (materials used). This car certainly is worth every paisa you pay. It is really a quality product on the roads. Even the car design is symmetric and good from all angles(Looks are not important for you though put still a point to be noted).

If you are still confused, go for another test drive. Check, in which car you feel more comfortable. Drive both the cars back to back and simply take a call!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks