Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2009, 12:06   #16
BHPian

To know which cars are doing good with their owners, check the classifieds online and in magazines. If you find a particular car make/model has few to none adverts in the publication, chances are that the owner is mighty happy with that car/model.

Another factor to be borne in mind. Your drive is a comfortable highway based 10 odd kms. Look for a car that you will enjoy the ride. IMHO, hyundai cars are a little expensive to own but it is a pleasure to have and savor. So go with your heart in it and whatever choice you make think of it like a wife choice. You will make a commitment to live with it irrespective of all the niggles and expenses. Of course, in case of a wife, its more of a life term commitment.

Spark and Santro are great cars. My observation - Santros are very agile and often seen in speedo states. Spark (erstwhile Matiz) is also a worthy car. My boss has one from the 90s. just did the paint job , battery and some other maintenance and still gives a great mileage as well.

If cost is a factor, go with chevy else for ride pleasures go with Santro.

Please don't go for the frills like the factory fitted audio etc which are not so great and push the price up. Go for a base type model with a great engine and comfort package and get the accessories fixed at a nearby reliable shop. Reason - all taxes, registration are based on the base price of the car plus you can get far better deals at accessory shops.

All the best.
Old 17th November 2009, 12:12   #17
Senior - BHPian

Out of the cars you have listed, i10 is the best choice .period.
Old 17th November 2009, 12:23   #18
Senior - BHPian

IMO, i10 is better among the odds (you already used a maruti car -now try another machine for a change?). If you think if it is bit overpriced then Santro is next best.

Also Ford Figo is expected to come in next month - how about checking about this one. Since Ford is entering in small car segment, there may be more to offer at a competitive price (if you have a dealer near to you, just go there and check for details).

Also I feel, one should not worry about resale value now as you are going to use the car atleast for 4/5 years and who knows which car will have better resale value then?
Old 17th November 2009, 15:22   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by longford View Post
To know which cars are doing good with their owners, check the classifieds online and in magazines. If you find a particular car make/model has few to none adverts in the publication, chances are that the owner is mighty happy with that car/model.

Just a thought wouldnt the chances be that the cars not seen online or in classifieds are because they did not sell well too. I see a lot of Maruti cars in classifieds.
Old 18th November 2009, 00:10   #20
BHPian

Thanks guys.

The update first. Mom went for a TD of the Santro. She feels okay driving it, though getting adapted will take some time, considering she drove only 800s in the past decade and nothing with an A/C or PS before. She gave her go ahead for the Santro. We are still deliberating, but the general consensus is in favor of the Santro GL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
my vote for a spark. If you're not getting a tata, get a spark. not many cars are as stable
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinu_pm View Post
IMO i10 is little over priced you will get the same comfort in new santro with much lesser price , the central console in i10 hits the leg if you are little tall.
Ofcourse spark also is a better choice
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegame View Post
I suggest go take a TD of the Spark and do a head on comparison with the Santro GL & Xeta GLS which is in the price range and make a educated decision.

Resale value is a myth. Look for used Sparks online and see how much you are being offered one for yourself.
The heart vetoes the brain. I somehow can't imagine a Spark being our ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by longford View Post
If cost is a factor, go with chevy else for ride pleasures go with Santro.

All the best.
Thanks buddy. Santro is on the top of our list.
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Out of the cars you have listed, i10 is the best choice .period.
Yeah, quite true. We will have to stretch our budget a bit though, so it is a no show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nairrk View Post
If you think if it is bit overpriced then Santro is next best.

Also Ford Figo is expected to come in next month - how about checking about this one. Since Ford is entering in small car segment, there may be more to offer at a competitive price (if you have a dealer near to you, just go there and check for details).
Ford's maintenance cost is somewhat on the higher side. Also, we want to wrap up the new car purchase ASAP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreedotk View Post
Just a thought wouldnt the chances be that the cars not seen online or in classifieds are because they did not sell well too. I see a lot of Maruti cars in classifieds.
You do have a point.
Old 18th November 2009, 11:23   #21
BANNED

I gues i10 is the best buy for you. Its a alot better than Wagon R. A couple of my friend who own it are happy with it.
Old 18th November 2009, 14:43   #22
Senior - BHPian

i10 would be the ideal choice for your mother with good interiors & easy to drive in city.
Old 18th November 2009, 22:44   #23
BHPian

My suggestion is the santro. It is more powerful compared to the 800. It is more refined and one of the easy to drive cars.

Why didn't you consider the New Zen Estilo ? It has the latest engine, decent fuel efficiency, compact dimensions and improved front looks.
Old 20th November 2009, 06:22   #24
BHPian

Fixed. Santro. The clincher was the price they offered for our 800 (+10000 as exchange bonus). Hopefully, next week, we will be making payment. Our only dilemma is regarding the variant. Not sure if we should go for GL or GLS.
Old 20th November 2009, 09:03   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklord View Post
Fixed. Santro. The clincher was the price they offered for our 800 (+10000 as exchange bonus). Hopefully, next week, we will be making payment. Our only dilemma is regarding the variant. Not sure if we should go for GL or GLS.

Is the price difference that wide? Power windows, central locking, internally adjustable OVRM are very helpful stuff.

And you are getting the LPG one? Would suggest that too.
Old 20th November 2009, 09:23   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
My suggestion is to go for the GLS. The santro is a great choice, gives you a good enough mileage and the petrol engine is absolute fun to drive.

LPG is a no go since you will be paying a higher price for it and I heard that the car is sluggish when LPG is used to run it.

PS- I was the first one to suggest Santro.

Last edited by harishnair : 20th November 2009 at 09:24.
Old 20th November 2009, 16:15   #27
Senior - BHPian

If AC and PS is what you need for your car, better stick to GL instead of GLS.Else all those extra features are useful if you want to pay few more K's go with GLS.
Old 21st November 2009, 05:43   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Is the price difference that wide? Power windows, central locking, internally adjustable OVRM are very helpful stuff.

Nope. Not really, about 20K or so.

Further 20 k for LPG. With the distance the car runs everyday,for us, it will take some time to recover that extra cost. Don't want that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnair View Post
My suggestion is to go for the GLS. The santro is a great choice, gives you a good enough mileage and the petrol engine is absolute fun to drive.

LPG is a no go since you will be paying a higher price for it and I heard that the car is sluggish when LPG is used to run it.

PS- I was the first one to suggest Santro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaythacker View Post
If AC and PS is what you need for your car, better stick to GL instead of GLS.Else all those extra features are useful if you want to pay few more K's go with GLS.
More so, since their exchange price was above our expectation.
Old 24th November 2009, 19:39   #29
BHPian

Booked GL metallic today. Taking delivery on Saturday or Monday probably. This is the final deal:

3.66 L OTR.
Free central lock.
Free HU + 2 speakers.
Free seat covers.
Free gold coin (3 g).
Exchange bonus 10,000.
Old 24th November 2009, 20:08   #30
BANNED

Congrats buddy. Whats the color of the Car?!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks