Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2009, 19:02   #1

i10 Car Buying Experience in Gurgaon

Guys,

I wanted to buy an A/T car for my wife and basis advise got to know that in a hatchback only Hyundai's i10 and i20 have the automatic version. I am also a bit positively biased towards Hyundai because my first car Getz GLS has been good with me so far.

I read somewhere in the post's ( about this being a buyer's market). I am sure things have improved, but i guess its a long way to go before it becomes like U.S, where Car buying is a such pleasant experience. I would briefly describe my experience here and would request any feedback that you would like to give.

1) Discounts - I checked the i10 Sportz (M) at both Safdurjung Hyundai and Orion Hyundai. Both offered me first year insurance free on the list price of Rs 4.91 Lakhs. So for GGN registration its about 13.5K discount. Orion offered me another 4K off for working for a corporate. Funnily though the final price given to me by Safdurjung was 4.75 Lakhs and by Orion was 4.82. When I told this to the Orion sales guy, he said " the pricing of Hyundai cars in Delhi and NCR is cartelized ( I am quoting his exact sentence here). Nobody can give discounts beyond what's been agreed upon by everybody. If somebody does give more, that particular sales agent or dealership has to pay up Rs 2 Lakh as fines !! Wow ever heard of that one ? No discount even when i offered to pay the entire amount by cheque. No loans ! I thought earlier dealers used to shave off another 4-5% if you are willing to pay upfront ! No luck here or I am less informed.

2) Delivery - Whats with Hyundai delivery ? Both dealerships told me about 20-25 days. Going by my experience of everything in Delhi and NCR ( having recently moved here from Chennai), if they say 20-25 days it can take upto 40-45 days ( I am keeping my expectations low here).

3) Test Drive - Both dealerships didnt have a single car ( automatic) for test drive !! and they said everything is in transit from Chennai and they are not expecting anything in the next 10-15 days !

4) Difference between i10 Magna Metallic(a/t) and i10 Sportz ( a/t). The sports is more expensive by about 20K. However I would get a rear defogger ( wiper and washer) , stereo system with 4 speakers and a few extra frills like boot luggage lamp and driver vanity mirror. Is it worth to go in for a Sportz or a magna metallic ? basis the minor additions. I am in Gurgaon so how important is rear defogger ( which is the only thing I am concerned about having heard the NCR fog situation).

I need the following advise

a) Any other car in the hatchback segment which is automatic ? anything in 4.5 Lakh range

b) I am really looking at buying the A/T for its convenience ( i drove a lot of them in U.S and loved them). My wife doesn't know how to drive and she hasn't even done a cycle, so i expect the transition to an A/T is best in the Indian environment.

Look forward to your feedback and advise on the above and anything you can help me with.
Old 15th November 2009, 19:21   #2
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarCrazy7 View Post
4) Difference between i10 Magna Metallic(a/t) and i10 Sportz ( a/t). The sports is more expensive by about 20K. However I would get a rear defogger ( wiper and washer) , stereo system with 4 speakers and a few extra frills like boot luggage lamp and driver vanity mirror. Is it worth to go in for a Sportz or a magna metallic ? basis the minor additions. I am in Gurgaon so how important is rear defogger ( which is the only thing I am concerned about having heard the NCR fog situation).
I do feel the Sportz version is worth the 20k extra. I believe you also get a rear spoiler in the Sportz? It is difficult and expensive to fit rear defogger, wiper and washer afterwards and a basic music system should also set you back by around 10-15 k.
Quote:
a) Any other car in the hatchback segment which is automatic ? anything in 4.5 Lakh range
i10 is the only good automatic among hatches. Or else, you could go second hand for a city. But it would be a bit difficult to learn for a beginner though (bigger dimensions)!

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 15th November 2009 at 19:23.
Old 15th November 2009, 20:39   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I need the following advise

b) I am really looking at buying the A/T for its convenience ( i drove a lot of them in U.S and loved them). My wife doesn't know how to drive and she hasn't even done a cycle, so i expect the transition to an A/T is best in the Indian environment.

Look forward to your feedback and advise on the above and anything you can help me with.
a) i10 is the best AT in this segment. The better one is Honda City which is double the cost.

b) yes it is advisable to go for AT. Easiest to learn and gives lot of confidence to learners while driving.
Old 16th November 2009, 15:09   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

I own an i10 M/T which is used by my wife who also never drove a cycle in her life. She learnt the hard way and is pretty happy with the manual version.

I support for i10 A/T version which should be a good decision for your wife.

However, i find the sportz variant unecessarily expensive with only a defogger as a main addition and hence had bought a Magna which came with a music system fitted free of cost.

However, be prepared for very low FE averages during initial days as reported here by a few tbphians
Old 16th November 2009, 16:31   #5
Senior - BHPian

carcrazy - there is no other A/t car under 4.5 lakhs other than the lousy wagon R AX. i10 A/T is your best bet on the right side of 5 lakhs.

I would suggest you to go for the sportz variant. You get factory fitted ICE + 4 speakers + rear defogger + wiper + spoiler w/HMSL, but importantly, you get adjustable rear headrests in sportz (you would NOT find this difference in their website).

Think about this - you can easily change the front console (by ordering a magna console) and fit your custom HU and change speaker at your leisure.

But fitting defogger strips/rear wiper is quite a pain. Also, fitting spoiler requires drilling holes in your car, which if not done professionally might allow water leaks.

The rear headrests offer support against whiplash injury.

regarding the buying experience - I have had similar experiences

Discounts - 4000 corporate discount + 1st year insurance free (16000 - I know this is inflated amount) + 3rd Year extended warranty (forgot the amount - around 2K)

Delivery - got the delivery in 34 days (but I was told 30 days upfront)

Test Drive - No A/T test drive car in 3 dealerships i called up.

Variant - I got the Asta A/T with sunroof, as I needed a car with ABS+Airbags (I travel daily 46 km, almost 80% on highways)
Old 16th November 2009, 17:17   #6
BHPian

if a small car(under 5.5L) and a AT.. there is only 1 car you can look. that is the i10 AT.
It is a fantastic car for the women and older people. i got it for my wife(& my dad) and they love that car. You will also love it bcos on the weekends you will be driven around. According to me, if they dont have a AT TD vehicle, u can drive a MT version just to feel it, but you can buy the AT eyes closed.

i20 is expensive.. some 7 or 8 L.. if at all a AT for that price, you can as well go for the SX4 automatic.
Old 16th November 2009, 17:25   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhukar_n View Post
It is a fantastic car for the women and older people.
Hmm..neither a woman nor old, is there anything wrong with me buying i10 A/T?

I guess time has come to shed the concept of only the weak/old/women driving an A/T car. Convenience being the key, I chose i10 A/T over the M/T version.I guess other tbhpians who got i10 A/T would agree.
Old 16th November 2009, 17:40   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Hmm..neither a woman nor old, is there anything wrong with me buying i10 A/T?

I guess time has come to shed the concept of only the weak/old/women driving an A/T car. Convenience being the key, I chose i10 A/T over the M/T version.I guess other tbhpians who got i10 A/T would agree.
i did not intend to mean that.
anyways i agree with, and whenever i see the i10 being unused when i want a car, i make sure i go in a i10 and i am also not old and neither a women
Old 16th November 2009, 17:48   #9
Senior - BHPian

^^^

But I admit, on the open highway - it is more fun to drive my dad's 2001 M800 Manual than my 2009 i10 auto.

And you got a Baleno there - wow! I could only imagine.
Old 16th November 2009, 19:04   #10
Senior - BHPian

rear defogger is a total must! Its very very useful in the fog season.
Old 16th November 2009, 20:05   #11
Senior - BHPian

I would choose an auto any day for convenience. Almost all top of the line cars have auto boxes these days. The concept of auto is catching on very late in India. Additionally, it comes in at a steeper price and poor mileage. Hence, it acts as a deterrent.

Since, the i10 would only have four gears in the auto box, mileage would definitely be down. But if that is not a concern, and you just want to have fun. go ahead. it is definitely a good buy. plus I belive it also comes with a sun roof.
Old 17th November 2009, 12:07   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedreamcatcher View Post
I would choose an auto any day for convenience. Almost all top of the line cars have auto boxes these days. The concept of auto is catching on very late in India. Additionally, it comes in at a steeper price and poor mileage. Hence, it acts as a deterrent.

Since, the i10 would only have four gears in the auto box, mileage would definitely be down. But if that is not a concern, and you just want to have fun. go ahead. it is definitely a good buy. plus I belive it also comes with a sun roof.

I am getting mileage in the range of 12 kmpl from a 2 month old A/T car, which I guess is pretty good. Even got 13.3 kmpl from a tankful when roads were clear for a week (surprisingly very less traffic).

The i10 Asta does come with a sunroof, but apart from displaying 'I have a sunroof in my car' , I frankly do not find any use for it in my city commute. If there was a no sunroof version available on asta, i would have got that.
Old 17th November 2009, 14:43   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

How about getting a quote from the 3rd dealership in Gurgaon?, Superon Hyundai. They've always quoted higher discounts than the other two. Try your luck.

i10 is the only good automatic available here at this price point.
Old 23rd November 2009, 18:06   #14
Senior - BHPian

Safdarjung Hyundai & Superon Hyundai belongs to the same guy.

I have purchased about 4 cars myself from Safdarjung & Superon in the last 3 years and their prices are the best. Their offers are also the best.

I'd say go for the i10 Sport as the paying the extra 20k is worth it.
Old 23rd November 2009, 21:47   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

@vkochar - I know that. As Superon is located a bit far off from city core they have to offer better prices to meet their targets.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks