Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd November 2009, 18:51   #1
BHPian

Looking for a feature packed hatch - i20, what else?

dear bhpians i am looking to buy a feature rich hatch with the following prime requirements..
- first and foremost safety
- next comes the looks
- should be trouble free and easy to maintain
- fuel economy does not really matter as the car wont be driven too much, about 10000kms a year.. so dont think so i need a diesel car..

as you might have guessed by now i have the i20 asta(o) 1.2 on my mind..
as of now i am in no hurry to buy the car but still if i can avail any benefits on the i20 in dec. then would go for it.

i want to suggest me if there is any other car that would fulfill these requirements??
also i have one more query regarding the i20, where are the six airbags exactly located?
are there any airbags in the front seats? cause i was told this by the hyundai salesman..

thanks..
Old 23rd November 2009, 20:14   #2
BHPian

Yes you have options of i20, punto emotion pack +, the evergreen swift zxi, you could wait for the volkswagen polo.
Do research all these cars on a site like carwale - Compare Cars | Choose Cars for Comparison - CarWale.com
Old 23rd November 2009, 20:25   #3
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by superboy44 View Post
where are the six airbags exactly located?
are there any airbags in the front seats? cause i was told this by the hyundai salesman..
thanks..

Like on the Right side doors airbags will come on left doors also. Hope this clear up your doubt. There are 2 airbags on the front seats.

Last edited by wildon : 23rd November 2009 at 20:29.
Old 24th November 2009, 00:24   #4
BHPian

thanks wildon for the pic, i would also want to know is it advisable to go for the car with these side curtain airbags as i would not want them going off if a biker smashes into my door..
and if i reframe my question ..
what are the chances of the airbags getting activated as a result of a biker who comes crashing into the door the car at a speed of say about 20km/hr??
hope you get my point..

@abhay
yes the punto is a good option but the only thing that concerns me is the after sales experience and the non availability of spares..
also the polo looks good so i might just wait for it but still my heart is stuck on the i20
Old 24th November 2009, 00:30   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
thanks wildon for the pic, i would also want to know is it advisable to go for the car with these side curtain airbags as i would not want them going off if a biker smashes into my door..
There are impact sensors which will judge if the impact is big enough to warrant airbag deployment. They will not deploy in minor crashes. It will deploy if the biker smashes in with enough force.

You could also take a look at the Jazz. It is a 'safe' car as well though it does not have curtain airbags.
Old 24th November 2009, 00:46   #6
BHPian

@gilead
the jazz is overpriced IMO and does not provide the goodies provided by the i20..
so its off the list..
@wildon
as you own the i20 1.2 can you please let me know the fuel economy that the car provides you?
also i test drove a the i20 asta td car at a dealership in ludhiana, the car had done about 20000km and i must say i came out a bit confused regarding the suspension..
it was not as silent as i would have liked over a not so good patch of road.
Old 24th November 2009, 01:10   #7
BHPian

Why dont you tell us your budget?
For the jazz, i thought of putting its name, but you wanted a feature packed car and it doesnt even have alloys so left it out.
The i20 is a damn good car, but do consider the 1.4 if you dont mind A/T.
Also why not consider a swift? its a proven car after all.
Old 24th November 2009, 01:17   #8
BHPian

well my budget is at the max 6.5lacs
dont really want the swift as it has a small boot and have heard that it rattles bad, and roads here arent the best around..
Old 24th November 2009, 01:34   #9
BHPian

Then the i20 it is
Old 24th November 2009, 03:22   #10
BHPian

If you are willing to wait, then get it in Jan / Feb 2010. Getting it in December is a bad idea from a depreciation perspective - 3 years down the lane, Dec 09 car will be considered 3 years old and Jan 2010 car will be considered 2 years old

Rajan
Old 24th November 2009, 08:25   #11
BANNED

Quote:
@wildon
as you own the i20 1.2 can you please let me know the fuel economy that the car provides you?
also i test drove a the i20 asta td car at a dealership in ludhiana, the car had done about 20000km and i must say i came out a bit confused regarding the suspension..
it was not as silent as i would have liked over a not so good patch of road.
Frankly i used to get 10.5 -11 in Bangalore traffic and twice i have been to highways which clocked near around 14 (all 100% a/c)

The suspension is bit hard on back, tyre noise is not as silent.
Old 24th November 2009, 20:21   #12
BHPian

thanks wildon for the info,
as of now i think i just might get it all..
will update you guys as soon as there is any further development..
thanks a lot for your suggestions and replies
Old 25th November 2009, 12:38   #13
Senior - BHPian

6.5 Lacs OTR would get you i20 1.2 and not the Jazz.

The 1.2 is boring to drive - I feel it's underpowered and there should be 1.4 L at least - which unfortunately is only with the AT opton.

Why don't you consider the Punto Emotion Pack Petrol ? It's also go the Blue & Me and I feel a better choice in petrol.
Old 25th November 2009, 14:28   #14
Senior - BHPian

Can you wait for VW-Polo to get released. Though the features that it offers are clearly not know. Pals can shed some light here.
Else
i20 is the best buy. Petrol version for the low running. There is no hatch other than i20 to have curtain airbags with sunroof.
Old 25th November 2009, 15:36   #15
BHPian

@vkochar
i like the punto quite a lot but the interiors and the after sales support is what bothers me.. would really love to have a hassle free after sales experience..
yes the i20 1.2 is underpowered but its adequate enough for city driving and occasional highway run..

@ramsagar
well i would buy a new car in the market only after its been there for about six months to know the feedback about the car..
and the reviews on the i20 are good,,
so might just go for it soon ..
will surely keep you guys updated

also i had a query in mind regarding the airbag system,,
what would be approximate cost of getting the side curtain and front seat airbag systems in a working condition if my car suffers a side impact that deploys only the side airbags and not the front ones..
searched the forums but could not find anything concrete regarding them.
would really appreciate any info

thanks..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks