WagonR LXi 20 25.64%
Zen Estillo LXi 8 10.26%
Hyundai i10 50 64.10%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2009, 21:37   #16
BHPian

Thanks for the inputs.
I will be booking the car in a couple of days.

I considered WagonR, because of the low cost and boot space.
Car wouldn't be driven much.

Here are my requirements:

I can see that the car would be driven by your parents. What car have they been driving before this ?
My parents would be driven around. My dad cannot drive anymore and my mother never drive a car in her life.
We already have a Innova, Scorpio, Verna, DZire (All diesels) in our family.

What are your other priorities - mileage, cost of ownership, ease of driving, ride quality, build quality, cabin space, boot space, no. of people traveling regularly, typical usage - city/highway etc ?
First and foremost requirement was boot space. My dad is limited to wheel chair. So, I was looking for a car which could fit in the wheelchair with ease (WagonR and Estilo both have adequate space for the current wheelchair). For i10, I will have to buy a new chair which is more foldable.
Mostly it would be used for city driving. Less than 800 kms a month.
Better comfort, good interiors.

Also, what will be the typical running of the car (kms per month) ?
Less than 800.

Have you considered LPG models (WagonR, Santro, Spark) ?
Not interested in LPG models.

Most importantly, what is your budget ? Is it slightly flexible ?
Budget was 3L and we stretched it to a max of 3.5L. (ex. showroom)
We already have 4 cars, this would be a spare car. Thats why wanted to spend less.
Old 14th December 2009, 21:50   #17
JVH
Senior - BHPian

All my immediate cousins were on the look out for hatches within city limits. 3 bought i10 and one bought Spark.

Actually, its a no brainer when you compare the 3 choices. The i10's quality is much better than the other 2. And Hyundai cars are better put together than the Maruti cars. Its purely based on my experience within the family.
Old 15th December 2009, 10:34   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitBahl View Post
Thanks for the inputs.
I will be booking the car in a couple of days.

Here are my requirements:
Now *that* changes the equation completely. WagonR seems the only car that perfectly fits those requirements. Its boot has good height as well as is big(i transported a 29 inch CRT TV once in it!). Reliable, cheap to own and i think currently discounts to the tune of ~40 k.

Last edited by DCEite : 15th December 2009 at 10:36.
Old 15th December 2009, 15:47   #19
Senior - BHPian

SumitBahl,

You should have mentioned these requirements in the first post itself. Anyway, better late than never.

Most people who have suggested i10 for you must have been under the impression that it is going to be a self-driven car. Since that is not the case, I would now advice you against i10 since it is not known for a comfortable ride in the rear seat.

Since your parents are going to occupy the rear seats, I would suggest that you consider Indica Vista Petrol. (Do check up if the Tata dealerships and service centres in your city are reputed and reliable)

You could also check out Chevrolet UVA. It is perhaps the most spacious hatchback. It is now available with beige interiors.

The rear seats in WagonR are too upright and lack under-thigh support. Remember to cross-check these things when you go for a test drive.

Rohan,
Bangalore
Old 15th December 2009, 16:15   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
Since your parents are going to occupy the rear seats, I would suggest that you consider Indica Vista Petrol. (Do check up if the Tata dealerships and service centres in your city are reputed and reliable)
There are 3 problems with Saffire:

1. Its a *Petrol* TATA. Technical know-how with the serivce center, reliability and resale is a question mark.
2. It costs more than 3.5 L
3. Boot though big isn't good on height as compared to WR which is curicial for transporting wheelchair.
Old 15th December 2009, 16:24   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

I find i10 a much better car than Estillo and wagon R. i10 looks much better than the othr two options listed here. The engine from the Santro might not have Honda like smoothness on the topend but the smoothness and midrange is very good. This car also pulls nicely from low revs and also has good midrange, so unless someone wants a sporty topend this engine serves the purpose really well.

I find Santro's steering better than i10, nicely weighted and had better feel than all of the competition. Wagon R comes with a horrible electric power steering, a nightmare for an enthusiast.
Old 15th December 2009, 16:31   #22
Senior - BHPian

I selected i10 on the poll before reading the requirements on the second page. Since your folks are going to be driven around and considering your dad's requirements, the Wagon R makes the most sense.
Old 15th December 2009, 16:51   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Budget was 3L and we stretched it to a max of 3.5L. (ex. showroom)
We already have 4 cars, this would be a spare car. Thats why wanted to spend less.
Wagon R is the best option here. Inside the boxy looks is a very functional car. The height of the car is good. My paternal grandfather is 80 years old and he marked that Wagon R is very easy to get in and out. My paternal grandmother, 72, made similar comments for Wagon R. She said it was very easy to get in and out of the car, no issues for seating comfort. She is suffering from partial paralysis. Also the cabin in quite airy and generally comfortable to travel in.

The boot space is the best and the boxy design of the car helps in this. There are not many intrusions and all the space can be utilized well. Again fits the bill here for your requirements.

The engine is good enough with almost flat torque curve leading to good bottom end and midrange. The top end is better than i10. Estilo with its K10 suffers from poor bottom end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
This car also pulls nicely from low revs and also has good midrange,
I find Santro's steering better than i10, nicely weighted and had better feel than all of the competition. Wagon R comes with a horrible electric power steering, a nightmare for an enthusiast.
IIRC, Wagon R too has a good bottom end and midrange. The only thing is that Wagon R's GB is not as smooth, but its not bad either.

i10, Estilo and Wagon R come with EPS which are really good for city driving. Trust me, when one it comes to bumper to bumper traffic and tight parking, these are very helpful.

And here the car is going to be used for city driving mostly, so I think EPS is better.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 15th December 2009 at 16:54.
Old 17th December 2009, 09:54   #24
BHPian

That changes the equation completely. Sumit just go for Wagon-R, for your requirements nothing matches other than Wagon-R. Ingress and outgress are other key factor of tall boy cars and boot would be good for keeping a wheel chair. I believe it might be difficult to put a wheelchair in the boot of an i10.
Old 17th December 2009, 16:16   #25
BHPian

Thanks for the suggestion guys.

Dad has not been feeling well for past few days.
We have postponed the car till he gets better.

Will update here when we decide on the car.
Old 3rd January 2010, 21:29   #26
BHPian

Suggest Car for Parents

Hi guys,
I cannot post a new thread, hence continuing this one. Mods please advice if it is inappropriate.

My father is thinking of selling his 6 year old Santro LP. Now, to replace that we need another car.

Requirements/Constraints:
1) Should be strictly under 4.5 Lakhs OTR. Preferably close to 4.0.
(Since he is a bank employee he is eligible to pay yearly Road Tax. So that avoids addition of around Rs 50K to the ex-showroom price )

2) Need a spacious car with good boot space. They live in my native town and keep visiting places, usually carry a lot of stuff.

3) My parents are middle-aged, work in bank and are quite busy. Hence i wish to suggest them a car which is very reliable and A.S.S should be really good. There should not be any doubt in this matter - Reliability and A.S.S!!

4) Should have decent F.E.

5) Dad would be driving.

My suggestion for them:
Getz 1.1 GVS: I feel currently this is the best VFM car. Ex-Showroom Bangalore price being 389042, OTR comes up to max around 4.1 lakhs.

Not suggesting i10 because i have an i10(i stay in Bangalore, mom may not
prefer two same cars in the family)

Not suggesting Wagon R as i have concerns regarding its Gearbox, Hard clutch and clutch position(could be strenuous after a while). Furthermore he already drove a similar category car( santro)

Spark, alto, A-Star out of contention due to space requirements

Tata cars - I am skeptical regarding quality of materials and A.S.S in my native(Karkala, udupi dist, karnataka)

Fiat cars - Same concern

Ritz - Mom doesn't like the looks But otherwise the car is good, On the costlier side though

Swift - Same as above plus rear seat space(We have lots of relatives there) and F.E

Concerns:
As you all have seen i have almost zeroed in on Getz. But my main worry is
Chances of discontinuation of Getz and its effects. Will parts still be available in that scenario?

I have actually tried to rule out the many options available based on our requirements and constraints. If you all see any other negatives/positives, please enlighten me so that i can guide them well.

I just want them to have a trouble free, reliable, comfortable and a spacious car(Sorry for the long post)
Old 4th January 2010, 11:04   #27
BHPian

Getz is a good car.
Beat launch is around the corner as well.

I really like Ritz though. Good engine, decent space, good quality/design interiors.
Looks are subjective. I hated the rear, now i have kinda got used to it.

I would suggest Ritz VXi.
Old 4th January 2010, 11:38   #28
Senior - BHPian

Hi iPai,

Any particular reason why the new Zen Estilo has not been considered ? I agree that it won't be much of an upgrade from Santro, but I feel that it perfectly suits your requirements - reasonably spacious cabin and boot, great mileage and Maruti's A.S.S.

By the way, is the Getz still available ? I would advise you against Getz 1.1 because it is an aging/discontinued (not sure) model. Also, your father may not like the performance of Getz 1.1 over his existing Santro 1.1 because of the significantly smaller power to weight ratio. It would be more of a downgrade (purely from the performance point of view). But I have to agree, the car is really spacious.

Ritz is another great product, if you are willing to accept the unconventional looks. The Lxi may fit in your budget, since road tax is waived off. Great engine and decent FE, comes with 14" wheels (suitable for small town roads).

i10 1.1 is also a good option. Cheaper and more fuel efficient compared to i10 1.2 kappa. And who says you can't have 2 similar cars in the family ?

Also check out the thread on the new WagonR. This may just be the car for your parents.

Slightly OT, but have you considered Maruti Eeco ?

Rohan,
Bangalore
Old 4th January 2010, 15:34   #29
BHPian

Hi, I voted for the i10 before i read your detailed requirements in page2, i would like to retract my vote for i10 considering the requirement, i think WagonR fits the bill better than any other in this case. If the seating comfort in Ritz will suit your requirement, then, would probably stick to the Ritz. Do let us know your final decision whenever you make it. Good luck.
Old 4th January 2010, 16:06   #30
BHPian

Quote:
I would suggest Ritz VXi.
Hmmm if parents like the looks plus dad is ok with 4.3 OTR then it will be good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
Hi iPai,
Any particular reason why the new Zen Estilo has not been considered ?
Estilo is not wide bodied enough. If we do a comparison of the widths, then Estilo is narrower than even a Santro! I guess width of Estilo is 1495mm where as Santro is wider at 1525mm

By the way, is the Getz still available ? I would advise you against Getz 1.1 because it is an aging/discontinued (not sure) model.
Thats the concern.What are the possible negatives because of this? The car seems super VFM now.

Ritz is another great product, if you are willing to accept the unconventional looks. The Lxi may fit in your budget
No power windows in LXI right? Less features compared to other cars a same price.

i10 1.1 is also a good option. And who says you can't have 2 similar cars in the family ?
MOM

Slightly OT, but have you considered Maruti Eeco ?
Nopes. I highly doubt the build quality as well as safety features. Given that it MAY be a replacement for Maruti Van which is really a tin box(My opinion).

Rohan,
Bangalore

Most Viewed