WagonR LXi 20 25.64%
Zen Estillo LXi 8 10.26%
Hyundai i10 50 64.10%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2010, 11:17   #31
Senior - BHPian

Hi iPai,

The biggest concern regarding opting for an aging/discontinued model is the availability of spare parts 4-5 years down the line. Personally, I would not plonk 4 lakh rupees on an aging/discontinued model (unless its a Maruti). But the fact is that Getz 1.1 does seem really VFM at the moment. You have to take the final call.

Secondly, resale value drops as soon as the model is discontinued. Of course, there are a few exceptions (like old zen, old honda city). But this should not be a major factor for your parents since (I guess) they would not be selling the car within 4-5 years.

Have you/your father taken a TD of Getz 1.1 ? How did you/your father find the performance compared to your i10 kappa/your father's 1.1 santro ?

Ritz Lxi doesn't have power windows. But the front 2 power windows can be fitted at the dealer with MGA for just 5-6K rupees. Please don't consider the lack of power windows as a deal-breaker.

I hope you are keeping an eye on the new WagonR thread as well.

If you are looking for an all rounder with reasonable price, features, space, power, mileage, reliability and A.S.S. , then i10 1.1 is the car for your parents. At the moment, I can't think of any other car which can beat this. Try to convince your Mom. Show the car to her in her favourite colour, she may like it.

Do let us know what you decide.

Rohan,
Bangalore
Old 5th January 2010, 12:31   #32
BHPian

Thanks rohan! I appreciate your opinion. I agree with the points about Getz. Actually only i have tried the Getz 1.1. Felt that it was quite peppy, but not as peppy as the Santro. As far as Dad is concerned, he doesn't bother too much about all this i guess since i have never heard him commenting about all these. Only thing mom mentioned is that the next car should not be lacking in space. I will definitely try convincing them about i10 1.1

I am tempted to look into punto, but view/opinions/feedback/ownership experiences such as parts falling off, TD vehicles door not functioning properly etc really worries me. Its a wonderful car, but these things put me off. That's the reason why i am ruling out vista.

As you said, i will try talking to them about i10 1.1. Meanwhile i will keep my eyes and ears open about the new Wagon R.

And this sell old car, buy new car process could take quite some time, will keep you all informed.

Thanks for your valuable suggestions.

Last edited by iPai : 5th January 2010 at 12:32. Reason: Spelling errors
Old 7th January 2010, 20:18   #33
Senior - BHPian

Hi iPai,

Since the car is for your parents and A.S.S. is a major concern, it is fair to stay away from Tata-Fiat cars. They do have great products - Vista in the spare department and Punto in the style and performance, but are still not up to the mark in quality control.

By the way, have you considered Chevrolet UVA ? It must be the most spacious hatch in the market. This is still in production and is now available with beige interiors. Chevy cars also come with 3 years free service/maintenance. You may also get good discount around March.

Just realised, I sound like a Chevy salesman.

Just make sure that you have good Chevy dealership and service centres in your home town.

Rohan,
Bangalore
Old 28th January 2010, 11:53   #34
Senior - BHPian

Hi iPai,

Check out the Ford Figo Test Drive and review by GTO.

If the pricing is right, this may suit your parents' requirements.

Rohan
Old 28th January 2010, 18:46   #35
BHPian

yupp! thanks Rohan. Ford figo seems to be a good choice, with hardly any faults.

But currently Dad has postponed the thought :(

Thanks anyway for your prompt suggestions!! I really appreciate that!
Old 12th August 2010, 16:58   #36
BHPian

Got the car for parents!

Hi All,

Finally my parents Santro LP was sold( rather exchanged)!

Currently Hyundai is having this exchange bonus offer, so they approached dad and quoted 1.50 lakhs for the Santro in exchange for an i10( any model)

My dad asked me and i suggested why not i20? But there was no offer on i20, offer was valid only on buying i10/santro. They offered 1.35lakh if dad bought an i20.

We felt 1.35 lakh was a great price since the Santro is 2002 model(LP) with no power windows, not in that good condition, some dents plus a replaced in door and fender(I had wrongly mentioned in the thread before that the car is 6 year old).

So, we sold off the good old Santro and i convinced dad to go for the i20! I didnt want them to buy i10 since i own one plus the major reason being i wanted them to have a more comfortable and a wider hatchback.

So, we stretched our budget and booked a Berry Red i20 Magna! Car arrived today( in our native, i am very eager to see it ).

Thank you all once again for your suggestions. Ritz, Figo, Swift were great contenders, but since we took the exchange path, it had to be another hyundai(not an issue at all), so went for the best - the i20.
Old 12th August 2010, 18:33   #37
BHPian

Congrats iPai.

i20 is a very good car.
I see a lot of them on road these days.

Its a good choice for elderly.
Old 12th August 2010, 20:05   #38
BHPian

Thanks SumitBahl!

All this Sell Santro-choose i20- book i20 happened within 2 hours one evening!!!

Everything in a hurry. The offer came up and instant decision was taken!
Was initially skeptical but now i feel i may have recommended them the right car. My dad took my suggestion at face value and booked the car.

Today i asked him if he liked it and he gave a big thumbs up! So its a relief for me. I wanted them to have a luxurious hatch. This is one among them(No one can beat Punto in ride quality though)!
Old 12th August 2010, 22:22   #39
BHPian

Congrats! And you got a good price for your Santro!
Old 13th August 2010, 11:24   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPai View Post
So, we sold off the good old Santro and i convinced dad to go for the i20! I didnt want them to buy i10 since i own one plus the major reason being i wanted them to have a more comfortable and a wider hatchback.

So, we stretched our budget and booked a Berry Red i20 Magna! Car arrived today( in our native, i am very eager to see it ).
Congratulations ! You have made a good choice, i20 really suits the requirements of your parents.

I'm glad you didn't settle for the Getz 1.1 as you were planning earlier.

Rohan
Old 13th August 2010, 13:55   #41
BHPian

@rohan_iitr @breezydrive

Thanks guy. Happy that we didn't have to make any sort of compromise while buying a car

Getz being outdated would have been a compromise.
Old 12th September 2010, 00:41   #42
BHPian

I recently bought the i10, as I did not want to stretch my budget any further for the i20.
I knew the i10 upgrade is being unveiled shortly, but I couldn't wait for it. Wonder if I made the correct decision?

Most Viewed