Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2009, 12:13   #1
BHPian

Need a small Car. Am 6'1"

Things at work changed a bit and I have to commute 20+20K daily for 3 days a week. So far, I have been working from home. I got some management responsibilites and have to go to Perungudi which is near Tharamani. My house is in Koyembedu. I tried hiring an Indica and it costs 800 Rs a day. I have to be at work 8 hrs.

I am 6'1'' and weigh 113 kgs. I loath driving in the city and I need a car that can seat me comfortably.

I have an Innova and a Judo 4x4. Just the thought of driving them to work makes me shudder. I am looking to buy a really small car ( a glorified motorbike ) . I need A/C , power steering. Budget upto 6 Lakhs.

I checked out the following cars

1. Santro Xing - Cramped and my knees keep hitting the door and the gear console
2. i 10 - No better than Xing. Actually santro seems a bit more comfortable
3. Chevy spark - Most cramped of all cars. Was put off by the build quality.
4. Suzuki Wagon R - Was delighted by the space and the driving position. I think it could work. Only issue is the 1.1L petrol. I wish it had a bigger engine. But overall , I like the Idea of wagon R , Simple, built like an auto, even the rear view mirrors are simple and can take a hit or two and has Loads of space both in front and rear.

5. Suzuki Ritz Diesel with ABS - Second in place to Wagon R for seating comfort. My left leg keeps hitting the gear console. Driving view is not as good as wagon R when it comes to driving in Bumper to bumper traffic. Love to own the DDIS engine with ABS. It wold be handy to have a Ritz if I have to make a quick run to Bangalore or mayiladuthurai. Love it's funky looks and I have seen Swifts hauling a$$ on the highway, so Ritz should be able to do atleast 75% of what a swift does.

So between Wagon R and the Ritz DDIS which is better for me ? Not considering the cost.

Is it true that wagon R is going to be phased out?

If going for wagon R would it make sense to go for a used one?

If I had to decide based on just true practicality I would go in for the Wagon R as it is small, has good visibility, has great leg room and does not invoke any feelings of love or hatred in me. So even when an auto driver or a bike puts a scratch on the side ( which will happen sooner or later ) , my heart would not bleed. This is the logic behind thinking about a Used Wagon R.

But the Ritz DDIS looks really cute and I have always wanted to own a small car with a strong engine.

Please advise
Old 21st December 2009, 12:24   #2
BANNED

Why not the Fiat Punto?? or the Vista QJD?

Or the i20?

Take a td fo all the three.
Old 21st December 2009, 12:28   #3
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest Reva Electric

it is really small, but i think a 6ft 1 inch person can drive it
it is a real city car, good for a traffic filled city like Chennai

Since you have other cars for highway and or family trips, Reva would be a perfect match for your office commute

Biggest factor is it is less polluting then petrol or diesel cars.
Old 21st December 2009, 12:38   #4
Senior - BHPian

Can't beat the Vista for space- try it out!
Old 21st December 2009, 12:38   #5
BHPian

Sir, I 20 seems to be a bigger car. It almost seems as big as an accent but with out the boot. I checked out the Punto when it came out and it did not have enough leg room for me. I think I need a car that has a more upright seating. I have not tried the Indica Vista. I will .
Old 21st December 2009, 12:45   #6
Senior - BHPian

For most interior room in the small car category, I guess the indica vista is unbeatable - however perhaps it is not as small a car as you'd like? If you can wait for a while you can check out the upcoming launches, like Beat, Figo, Polo and Micra.

Otherwise Ritz, seems like a good option. I TD'ed the petrol version, and was impressed with the car. The build quality was good and the high seating position is a boon in city traffic. If you're buying now maybe you can squeeze a large discount.

cheers
Old 21st December 2009, 12:58   #7
BHPian

Are they going to stop Wagon R? A friend of mine who owns Wagon R told me so. I am not sure.

I checked out the Reva prices , they are in the 3.8 L range . that seems a bit too high for a car that has to stop every 60 Km (if you use A/C) . So reva is out of question. yes Indica seems a bit large for my liking.

Maruti guys are giving me 25000 discount.

Last edited by rrnsss : 21st December 2009 at 13:09.
Old 21st December 2009, 13:20   #8
Senior - BHPian

Go for the Wagon. If you're not comfortable, the car just isn't worth it no matter how great it is in other ways. The Wagon R may be replaced with a new model soon but that shouldn't be too much of a problem if you buy used. So if I were you, it'd be a used Wagon R. You may want to look at a few other cars like the Punto though
Old 21st December 2009, 13:38   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrnsss View Post
Are they going to stop Wagon R? A friend of mine who owns Wagon R told me so. I am not sure.
Maruti is working on two small cars, one is YE3 and other is YR9. One of them is going to be a new Wagon R or the updated Wagon R. Other is a car near to Alto. Nobody is sure if the car is a new Wagon R or updated one.

I suggest you go for Wagon R. The seating position is very nice for city driving, and this car can take award for maximum utilization of available space. Next is Ritz. But nothing beats Wagon R for city driving. The EPS is a boom for city driving and specially when it comes to congested places for parking. The high seating position is also very useful. Add to that those boxy windows and windscreens and what you have is a car with very good all round visibility.

India needs cars like Wagon R that are function over form.

If you are comfortable with Wagon R, go for it. This car has sold well, so spares and service will not be an issue.
This is a safe buy that fits your requirements.
Old 21st December 2009, 13:45   #10
Senior - BHPian

Hi rrnsss,

It is easy to tell this and that. But we should consider all the facts. factor;

1 .You are tall Reva and all will not work. You were right on wagon R or Ritz. Wagon R gear shaft wont touch your leg but it will touch the front passenger. That is my practical experience and one of the factors to make me shift to Ritz. Vista PS is bit harder in comparison with Ritz. Bit noisy.

2. Fuel Economy. 3lts of diesel will be enough a day for a day's trip by Ritz. Wagon R 3.5 Lts of petrol Operative expenditure per day is 160 for Wagon R. For Ritz 90 Rs. Minimum Rs70 per day.

3. You do long drive Ritz is sturdy. Once again see the tyre of Wagon R and Ritz. I had great vibration in my Wagon R when it crossed 80plus. Ritz no such things in 110 also. Good Highway car too. I use the car 100kms a day in city (with in 3 months 10000kms) no issues at all.

4. Visibility. It will be used to and you will be comfortable like me soon. Reversal is also not a peoblem like the people talk. High seats good for tall people and good thigh support.

5. Once again give a test drive and see whether your left leg touches the gear shaft or not. Any assistance Pm me. I am in Chennai.

Last edited by navan49 : 21st December 2009 at 13:47.
Old 21st December 2009, 14:11   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

So between Wagon R and the Ritz DDIS which is better for me ? Not considering the cost.
Between the two the Ritz is obviously the better car. Better build, better ride, better plastics, better seats, more appealing desiign, better FE(for Diesel) and so on.
But the question is, do you really need to spend those extra 2 lacs when most of your requirements are already met by the WagonR ? This is the question you should ask yourself. Regarding phase out, well it might be prudent to wait till Auto-Expo (only 10-15 days left) to see if any replacemnent is launched or not. Otherwise WR is a good city car and will serve you well for years to come without much issues.
Old 21st December 2009, 14:18   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
4. Suzuki Wagon R - Was delighted by the space and the driving position. I think it could work. Only issue is the 1.1L petrol. I wish it had a bigger engine. But overall , I like the Idea of wagon R , Simple, built like an auto, even the rear view mirrors are simple and can take a hit or two and has Loads of space both in front and rear.
Is it true that wagon R is going to be phased out?
If going for wagon R would it make sense to go for a used one?
If I had to decide based on just true practicality I would go in for the Wagon R .
Maybe this will answer your Wagon R questions. Facelifted Maruti WagonR to be rolled out by March 2010-WheelsUnplugged Automobile Industry News

As for your Ritz question, I've seen a Ritz Diesel go Zoooom on the NH4.
Old 21st December 2009, 14:19   #13
Senior - BHPian

As other people suggested why dont you test drive Vista?
Old 21st December 2009, 14:25   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Between the two the Ritz is obviously the better car. Better build, better ride, better plastics, better seats, more appealing desiign, better FE(for Diesel) and so on.
But the question is, do you really need to spend those extra 2 lacs when most of your requirements are already met by the WagonR ? This is the question you should ask yourself. Regarding phase out, well it might be prudent to wait till Auto-Expo (only 10-15 days left) to see if any replacemnent is launched or not. Otherwise WR is a good city car and will serve you well for years to come without much issues.
+1 to that.

My 2004 wagon R has currently completed 45k kms.
I bought it in 2006 with 14,500 kms on the odo.

As a city car its simply fantastic. Even done a couple of highway drives. Mostly in the Hyderabad - Chennai stretch.

Very comfortable for 3 passengers and one driver.

The Wagon will complement your existing garage very well.
Old 21st December 2009, 15:19   #15
BANNED

If you have misgivings about the wagonR, go in for a used car - 3-4 years old one. (of course, your take).

But as a WagonR owner, I still think you should TD the vista. Just TD it, see if the height suits you.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks