Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2009, 08:25   #1
BHPian

Feedback on NEW ESTILO (zen)

Hey Guys,

Posting on behalf of a friend. My friend is looking to buy a new small hatchback (budget 4L MAX OUT). Typical 5 family - he,wifey,2 year old kid, elderly mom and dad.

Usage: city - 50 % - highway - 50 % (typical places from chennai like elagiri - ooty - kodai etc - NO LONG DRIVES - shorter 250 - 300 km ones)

Friends driving characters
1) Sedate
2) Cruiser (MAXES at 85), We both have driven in US / UK and WE SURE KNOW that out here we CANNOT max 85 without having a major risk element. So 85 it is.
3) Does not want a sedan - for ease of handling

Cars
a) Wagon R - I told him that this is a tried and tested one, but here in TBHP, I have seen numerous instance of gear box being notchy and little niggles (nothing major though). Moreover the car is due for an upgrade and also looks little dated.

b) ESTILO (zen) - This is the NEW ESTILO sans the zen tag. We are interested in this car.
-> Decent space in front - we both are 6 feet, but we could ingress / egress easily and after seat adjustment we found back seat space was good enough for parents.
-> The sterring is fitted little uppish, that means that it does not hit out thighs on our comfortable seating position.
-> Newer engine, nice interiors etc
-> MARUTI (Not against hyundai, somehow mind says Maruti)

I have seen many reviews on the OLD ZEN (estilo). Any first hand report on ESTILO (zen). I know it is not Old wine New bottle, so will really really appreciate, any inputs from learned people here.

Cheers
Old 29th December 2009, 22:00   #2
Senior - BHPian

New Zen Estilo uses the same KB series engine as the A-Star. Which means, it gives better mileage than i10, WagonR and even Spark.
However, the motor has some vibrations due to being a 3 cylinder one. But the real grouse with Estilo is its build quality. Plastics are cheap, doors light, and it doesn't match a candle to i10 in interior plastic quality either. Besides, its unstable at speeds above 80 kmph, not that i10 or Spark are great, but they are definitely better.
So if i were you, i would prioritise my requirements - For best FE and after sales, i would choose the Estilo. However for best in class interiors and better driving experience, i would choose the i10 Kappa.

You might wait till Auto-Expo though, new wagonR might be launched with (hopefully) 4 cylinder KB series engine.
Old 29th December 2009, 22:04   #3
Senior - BHPian

The new estilo is certainly a better looker than the previous feminine Z-estilo. But I have no idea about the plastics though. I am sure it offers good value for the price you pay.
Old 29th December 2009, 22:44   #4
BHPian

Thanks for the replies guys,

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
New Zen Estilo uses the same KB series engine as the A-Star. Which means, it gives better mileage than i10, WagonR and even Spark.
Yes thats the main reason we zeroed in to this. Also that since it is K series doing good duty in Ritz and likes, we are pretty confident on the engine and its life line.

Quote:
But the real grouse with Estilo is its build quality. Plastics are cheap, doors light, and it doesn't match a candle to i10 in interior plastic quality either.
I totally agree. But i guess thats something we are OK with live with.

Quote:
Besides, its unstable at speeds above 80 kmph, not that i10 or Spark are great, but they are definitely better.
Again agree. But IMHO, Friend / I are NEVER EVER going to ride our speeds beyond that speed. Not because of the handling per se, but however good the highway is, there is ALWAYS a chance somebody running in the middle of road out of the blue, familiar truck drivers swerving when they please. so We are good with too.

Quote:
So if i were you, i would prioritise my requirements - For best FE and after sales, i would choose the Estilo. However for best in class interiors and better driving experience, i would choose the i10 Kappa.
How I wish. Thats way out of our league. budget wise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
The new estilo is certainly a better looker than the previous feminine Z-estilo.
Thanks, I saw many cars of the previous version too. The newer looks like a Innova Baby
Old 30th December 2009, 17:54   #5
BHPian

Looks like your friend is hooked on to the Estilo and is ok with compromising here and there. MASS is the best, so even if there are small niggles, with the car, you would not end up no where. All the best with your (friends) decision.
Old 3rd January 2010, 21:12   #6
Team-BHP Support

You can also look at the Santro. The on-road price would come around 4.2. You will find much more seating space. Though, its an old model, but, still, its worth a look.

If you don't mind paying 4.5L, the Ritz LXi will also be a very good option. Not the swift, as Ritz offers much better space. The 50K extra payment in my opinion is a very good option.

My father was in the same dilemma. We surveyed for Santro, A-Star, i10 and Ritz. Finally we decided to pay the premium and got the Ritz LXi. It was really worth it. Initial mileage on the highways is ~24! So no issues on the mileage front.

Last edited by ampere : 3rd January 2010 at 21:13.
Old 3rd January 2010, 22:55   #7
BHPian

Thanks basilmabraham, The car sort of fits the budget and is with a new heart. So my friend and lately me too are sort of accepting facts (pros and cons). Thanks for the reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
You can also look at the Santro. The on-road price would come around 4.2. You will find much more seating space. Though, its an old model, but, still, its worth a look.

If you don't mind paying 4.5L, the Ritz LXi will also be a very good option. Not the swift, as Ritz offers much better space. The 50K extra payment in my opinion is a very good option.

My father was in the same dilemma. We surveyed for Santro, A-Star, i10 and Ritz. Finally we decided to pay the premium and got the Ritz LXi. It was really worth it. Initial mileage on the highways is ~24! So no issues on the mileage front.
Thanks Ampere. Santro is something I definitely surveyed on. But the showromm (day before discussion) tells me that Hyundai has decided to increase the time of santro by another 2 years (2012). Now i did not like the "increase" part. That only suggests that the model is the last leg. I10 (irde) I am not too keen, I10 kappa is again out of budget.

Again our budget is stricly 4.25 MAX and we need to ICE / security system / tint etc all in that. We will look at ritz LXI too. I will keep you updated.
Old 3rd January 2010, 23:56   #8
BHPian

I'd say wait for sometime if you have to, on ICE / Tints / Security and other misc. stuff and plonk the money in a relatively better car right now.

You can always add the above stuff later on when finances permit. But you wont be able to change the car so soon.

So, aim for the best car you can get for the money. I'd say stretch it a little and get the Ritz Lxi. You'll be happy and more satisfied in the longer run, having choosen a relatively newer and a tad premium car than the absolute entry level hatches.

PS: No offence to anyone or any car. Just a direct opinion.
Old 4th January 2010, 01:45   #9
BHPian

I don't know about other cars but why don't you consider Chevrolet Spark ? You could have the top model + ABS + Airbags + Plenty of money left to accessorize....
Old 4th January 2010, 05:31   #10
Senior - BHPian

For a family of five, the cars listed are going to be cramped - especially on the 50% highway driving part. Check out the Indica Vista...
Old 4th January 2010, 19:24   #11
Senior - BHPian

Wait for a few more hours and you would know how much a base VW Polo & Figo costs. I doubt at 4 lacs BUT should be near. And then you get a latest car.

Else have a look at the base Ritz. A bit more pricey BUT definetely worth it.

i10, Spark preferred over Zen Estilo.
Old 5th January 2010, 20:14   #12
BHPian

Take a look at other manufacturers as well. I was under the same confusion one month back and my requirements were almost similar as your friend's - Wife, Kid and parents. I almost decided to buy Ritz, but then bought Hyundai I10 Sportz due to different reasons (better finance options, good resale value for my old zen, family didnt like the shape of Ritz, etc..). Life has become so easy after that and believe me it is so easy to drive around. It is spacious enough for five people and got very good engine power. Not to miss mentioning about the superior quality of Hyundai Interiors.

Only complaint being the mileage, but then I have not completed my first service yet. Hopeful of getting more FE after first couple of services.

Mine is a clear example of an ardent Maruti follower being taken over by Hyundai I10.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks