Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2010, 12:40   #31
BHPian

Jazz is surely a nice car, infact when i was buying a car a couple of months ago, i found the interiors in Jazz to be much better than the ANHC. Its spacious and nice to drive, got a feel good factor and exclusivity due to the exorbitant pricing too ! But then i dropped the Jazz because i found the deal very unfair, you pay 8+ Lacs and still Honda doesnt want to give you even alloy wheels & dual airbags (although i guess 2010 version has dual airbags)... out of the 3 variants, the base one did not have any airbags, one variant had driver airbag and the other variant had passenger airbag... after paying such a huge price you shouldnt be in a situation to guess in advance whose life will be important in case of an unfortunate crash !

Also with a marginal difference above the cost of a high end Jazz in Pune, I was able to buy the Cedia Spirit which is in a totally different segment - its a powerful spacious Sedan and I am loving every bit of comfort and a long list of features I could boast about.. for example the Touch screen media centre with blue tooth, leather seats, Alloy wheels, independent suspension and disc breaks for all wheels and the list goes on !!

I am not suggesting you buy a Sedan instead - what i am saying is, what you are getting in return for 8.5 Lakhs may not be fully tangible and you may be paying a price for the Honda badge... unless you are ok with this, you should seriously consider the various variants of i20 !! Honda not even considering to throw in alloy wheels inspite of the ridiculous pricing is a major turn off for me
Old 5th January 2010, 13:42   #32
BHPian

Interesting thread this. I would second the reco of a sedan. Manza/Linea (A.S.S is not that bad - my BIL has it), or even the Fiesta Petrol EXI would fit in your budget.
I recently bought a Fiesta Petrol ZXI and it is awesome in one word. Far more VFM than a sticky i20 or a jazz for that matter, and performance and FTD (FunToDrive) is
in another world of course.
@Kartho,
Interesting point about going for a cedia.What was the OTR cost of your cedia spirit?
Old 5th January 2010, 14:18   #33
BHPian

@rpm
I had also suggested Fiesta in my first post in this thread if the budget was stretchable.. i do think its a true VFM car @ 7+ lakhs

I got my Cedia for 10.05 that is considering that Pune prices are usually 20 -25k expensive than most cities ! Although i am glad to answer questions.. more details of my car can be found in the Initial ownership reports section...
Old 5th January 2010, 14:50   #34
Senior - BHPian

People,

how is i20 asta petrol ? one of my friends wants to buy that or a Swift!

For me with 1.2L engine i20 seems to expensive! kindly suggest

Last edited by recshenoy : 5th January 2010 at 14:56.
Old 5th January 2010, 15:08   #35
BHPian

i20 petrol is surely a nice car, but very expensive if you see that its the same engine on the i10 petrol. And please TD the i20, I found it very underpowered if you keep with full AC on and 3 adults, it just begs for more power in second gear. Imagine how it will be with fully loaded with 5 passengers and boot full of luggage. This was the sole reason I had to switch to Punto petrol.

Did you look at Punto, also consider it when you have i20 in mind, almost same in pricing. I think it would be even better if you can wait out for Figo and Polo. Then make a decision.

Last edited by samsan02 : 5th January 2010 at 15:13.
Old 5th January 2010, 15:16   #36
BHPian

Between I20 & Jazz.
Jazz may have slightly / marginally better looks, engine, finish & brand name over I20. But paying about 150K over I20 you end up with a hatchback without Alloy wheels & Airbags.
I20 Asta model comes with 2 Air bags ( Driver & passanger), higher end model has side curtains and I20 has 5star rating for braking efficiency.
Just came back from 2250kms / 1 week trip made in I20 asta driven (lone driver) on all type of roads. The driving comfort was excellent & didnot have any problems.
Old 6th January 2010, 03:43   #37
BHPian

@kartho - You are mistaken. There is just one variant of the Jazz with a couple option pack s thrown in. All 3 "variants" - if you can call them that were launched with ABS and Airbags. Infact on the launch of ANHC, Honda had told the press that all models of Honda across all variants will have both ABS and Airbags. I am not Honda fan - but let's give the devil his due
Old 11th January 2010, 21:29   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by recshenoy View Post
People,

how is i20 asta petrol ? one of my friends wants to buy that or a Swift!

For me with 1.2L engine i20 seems to expensive! kindly suggest

I have also got into a similar dilemma but in deciding a Swift VDi diesel and i20 Asta pertrol (though my heart beats for Swift but wife says i20!). Currently I am driving an Alto LX. Its been 6 years now the car has been generous to me - good mileage (city 15km, 18-19km highway), performance and comfortable city ride. But now considering my family with 2 kids, it's time for an upgrade.
Recently I have shifted to an office which is much far from my previous one. So I wanted a car that suits my requirements below:
- For daily office communting of 50km - So all around weekday plus weekend it would be around 1300-1400Km per month running
- Comfortable & smooth ride (have a slight back problem, but still I love driving)
- Budget not more than 6.5 lacs (for only a hatchback)
- Low on maintenance
- Fuel efficient (looking somewhere around 14-15 km/l)
- Plan to keep the vehicle for 4-5 years (hence long term ownership should be satisfactory)
- No matter its a petrol or diesel but someone help me understand if diesel is suited for such kind of monthly running and why
I have shortlisted couple of them but am still confused on the terms of long term ownership and running cost. These are interesting picks though with one petrol and another is a diesel version
1) Swift VDi (is ABS necessary to opt?) - I drove my brothers LDi. It was amazing to drive this car which was less noisy than the Tata Indica and Punto. An excellent torque and the turbo picked me up to a surprise which I did not expect (as I had not driven this before). Overall I found the front seats comfortable for me to drive long distances. But was not happy with the rear seats and leg room and so was my wife not happy with the rear comfort. But I had to convince her that this car is the best package that we can get in the budget.
2) Hyundai i20 Asta (Petrol) - I TDed this and it was a fantastic feel to own this car. Even my family (wife and son) were happy to get this one. I did not pay much attention to the techicalities while driving but was busy enjoying the interior quality and got a sense that due to the seat positioning it would be much comfortable drive for long distances. I am only worried about the economy it produces. Can the i20 owners let me know on their fuel mileage experience?
3) Punto - Haven't test driven this heavy Italian beauty. But reading the reviews, I think I should have a test drive.
Thanks
Yogesh
Old 12th January 2010, 04:05   #39
BHPian

Thanks guys for the views.

How is the after sales of Cedia? I have heard the car's name for the first time today. I checked out the mitsubishi website and checked the features. Could not find airbags listed. Are airbags std?

Also this is 10 L - It is not stretching, but blowing my budget . If I am looking for a sedan it has to be < 7 L. Just because a high end hatch costs equal to some of the well priced sedans, I am going to consider those vehicles - but I know I will take a hit in manueverability and probably fuel economy.

As for Jazz pricing - I thought I could get jazz at OTR 7-7.5 L - is that not correct?

One question - If Honda had priced Jazz 50-70 k more than i20 Asta - would you recommend Jazz then?

I am travelling to India the next week. So I will be able to start test driving some of the cars. The cars that I have interest in after these discussions is Jazz, i20 Asta, Manza, Linea, Fabia and Swift.
Old 12th January 2010, 10:34   #40
BHPian

@adabass

Cedia comes with dual airbags, but yes you cant consider a Cedia as its way beyond your budget, but you will probably be able to consider a few Sedans like Fiesta or Linea. Fiesta is a fun to drive car and the diesel variant could be very economical to drive provided you will do beyond 1 - 1.5k kms a month. Fiesta owners in this forum seem to love their cars and IMO Fiesta is a great buy, provided you are ok with rear legroom and rear seating comfort - Just check it out.

Linea is a great car too, but i have read a few threads in this forum where people have been complaining of rusting in their cars - one of the cars was just 3 months old ! So, I may be vary about this reason but would surely not discount it... just research enough about Linea issues and take a call. One thing for sure, the car looks a million bucks - its awesome ! Also, a TurboJet variant loaded with more high end features is all set for a release, you may want to consider that as the current variants could be a little under powered. One last issue with the Linea could be the Ground clearance, this depends on the roads in the city you would be driving, so, a TD in doubtful patches could clarify.

Jazz in Pune costs almost 8.5L on road, if you can afford or if you get a good bargain where you live, its surely a great car - especially in blue and red, its a stunner. A very spacious car with good interiors for its class. If you are ok with the fact that the car comes without alloys or leather seats, then you should seriously consider it.. it may not be worth the premium, but if you can forget the price, it would surely be a good ride. Jazz also has low GC (160mm) but not as low as Fabia (146mm).

I would surely stay away from Skoda, read more threads on Skoda cars before you jump into that well

Regarding your question of paying 50 - 70k more for a Jazz is anyday worth IMO. I20 interiors are not so appealing compared to Jazz but is definitely feature rich.

Swift is very cramped especially if rear seat occupants are more than normal height and also the car is quite dated.

All the best with your TDs and enjoy the ride and feel the cars in flesh and take a decision based on which car you connect better with !
Old 13th January 2010, 15:00   #41
BHPian

Need a Hatchback - i20, Ritz, GP or i10?

@adabass -> Sorry for hijacking your thread but need some advice on selecting the right hatch which is a VFM.

Hello Friends,

It's time for me to step into Hatchback market with guidance/advice/valuable feedbacks from you all. I am looking for a petrol hatchback that is priced within 5 lakhs (ex-showroom) and with the below listed features. This would be my first car and i am preferring a petrol hatch as my monthly running doesn't exceed 1k kms with 80 % city driving and 20 % occasional long trips. I will be keeping this car for 5yrs for sure and hence service backup/low maintenance cost plays a vital role in my selection.

- Muscular design / good looking, good interior/exteriors, build quality and design, ride & handling, good cabin space (front & rear) with good seats that can accomodate 5 people comfortably, ABS + Airbag (optional), Effective AC, moderate boot space, good FE, ground clearance, quiet engine with sufficient power to pick up 5 on board and a VFM. Comfortable ride within city and on highways.

I am 6'1" and the hatch should be one that can have easy passage for me to get in and get out with comfort.

I have shortlisted Hyundai i20 Magna, Maruti Suzuki Ritz Zxi, Grande Punto 1.4 Dynamic and i10 Asta or sportz.

I have TD i20, i10 and Punto out of which i feel i20 and i10 to be more spacious (front & rear), gear shifts are smooth/short compared to Punto dynamic. No question on ride/handling aspect of Punto but legroom seems to be cramped with shortage of rear space.
I will TD Ritz this weekend before taking a final decision. Hence, would appreciate if you all can put in your valuable thoughts in shortlisting my first dream hatchback.

-> Or should i wait for Polo till March?

Thank you all

Regards,

Vish
Old 13th January 2010, 20:45   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsegOY View Post
Can the i20 owners let me know on their fuel mileage experience?
3) Punto - Haven't test driven this heavy Italian beauty. But reading the reviews, I think I should have a test drive.
I20 FE will be around 12 in city. If your budget is 6.5L then I would suggest fiat punto emotion diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishwask82 View Post
I have TD i20, i10 and Punto out of which i feel i20 and i10 to be more spacious (front & rear), gear shifts are smooth/short compared to Punto dynamic. No question on ride/handling aspect of Punto but legroom seems to be cramped with shortage of rear space.
Vish i think i20 magna is perfect to your requirements.If you can wait for polo,you can
Old 14th January 2010, 01:55   #43
BHPian

[quote=vishwask82;1680313
I have shortlisted Hyundai i20 Magna, Maruti Suzuki Ritz Zxi, Grande Punto 1.4 Dynamic and i10 Asta or sportz.

I will TD Ritz this weekend before taking a final decision. Hence, would appreciate if you all can put in your valuable thoughts in shortlisting my first dream hatchback.

-> Or should i wait for Polo till March?

Thank you all

Regards,

Vish[/quote]

You have choosen cars in the range of ex-showroom prices around the 5L mark.
Hyundai i20 Magna - Good quality interiors,nice look and feel, except for the same i10's 1.2 kappa engine feels expensive for its price. Feels underpowered too. But should be adequate for city driving, but wont score good if you always travel with 5 people on board and AC on always.

Maruti Suzuki Ritz Zxi - Great VFM if you look at features and ZXI will have ABS/Airbags and you get it at the same price as the i20 magna. But if you can live with the rear design then go for it, ofcourse this too is 1.2 Litre engine and is adequate for city driving.But its not as spacious as i20 or Punto, and boot is small. Ritz can never be considered to be in a premium hatchback segment. That way Swift would be more spacious. Ritz/Swift would fall somewhere in between an i10 and i20, can call it i15.

Grande Punto 1.4 Dynamic - Punto is spacious and is comparable to i20 in all aspects, dynamic will get a 1.4 litre engine and it scores over i20 magna in terms power. But Dynamic interios wont be as pleasing as that of i20 Magna's. Boot wise they are similar. If you can stretch your budget go for Punto Emotion, wil lget two-tone interiors, also ABS but no airbags. Else if you are solely looking for a car with Punto's ride/handling/suspension go for Active variant. It comes to 4.2L ex showroom, but its a 1.2 litre engine should be adequate in city driving, but it will be cheaper by 80k.Almost at par with i10 sportz price.

i10 - good for city rides, but not suited for highways. Still a small car atleast size wise, small boot, its like a more comfortable santro. Ofcourse Asta has all features so ABS/Airbags you will get. 1.2 kappa engine is very nice on the i10. i10 sportz is a Good option if you want to save money by not going for Airbags/ABS. i10 is a comfortable car for 4 people, but small boot makes it useful mostly for city rides getting groceries. But if you want that occasional highway trip with lot of luggage to be good go for punto or i20 as they have 60:40 split seats where you can accomodate more stuff.

Now Polo - Its nice looking car, can be considered on par with i20/Punto in terms of space/size. No harm waiting for it if you dont have the wanting for a car right away.
Old 14th January 2010, 07:52   #44
BHPian

[Vish i think i20 magna is perfect to your requirements.If you can wait for polo,you can [/quote]

Reddy@Hyd -> Thanks for your suggestion. As you own i20 magna, can you tell me in detail about it's behaviour, performance, ride/handling? How does it behave with all 5 on board? does it beg for more power?

Thank you.

Regards,

Vish
Old 14th January 2010, 08:05   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsan02 View Post
You have choosen cars in the range of ex-showroom prices around the 5L mark.
Hyundai i20 Magna - Good quality interiors,nice look and feel, except for the same i10's 1.2 kappa engine feels expensive for its price. Feels underpowered too. But should be adequate for city driving, but wont score good if you always travel with 5 people on board and AC on always.

Maruti Suzuki Ritz Zxi - Great VFM if you look at features and ZXI will have ABS/Airbags and you get it at the same price as the i20 magna. But if you can live with the rear design then go for it, ofcourse this too is 1.2 Litre engine and is adequate for city driving.But its not as spacious as i20 or Punto, and boot is small. Ritz can never be considered to be in a premium hatchback segment. That way Swift would be more spacious. Ritz/Swift would fall somewhere in between an i10 and i20, can call it i15.

Grande Punto 1.4 Dynamic - Punto is spacious and is comparable to i20 in all aspects, dynamic will get a 1.4 litre engine and it scores over i20 magna in terms power. But Dynamic interios wont be as pleasing as that of i20 Magna's. Boot wise they are similar. If you can stretch your budget go for Punto Emotion, wil lget two-tone interiors, also ABS but no airbags. Else if you are solely looking for a car with Punto's ride/handling/suspension go for Active variant. It comes to 4.2L ex showroom, but its a 1.2 litre engine should be adequate in city driving, but it will be cheaper by 80k.Almost at par with i10 sportz price.

i10 - good for city rides, but not suited for highways. Still a small car atleast size wise, small boot, its like a more comfortable santro. Ofcourse Asta has all features so ABS/Airbags you will get. 1.2 kappa engine is very nice on the i10. i10 sportz is a Good option if you want to save money by not going for Airbags/ABS. i10 is a comfortable car for 4 people, but small boot makes it useful mostly for city rides getting groceries. But if you want that occasional highway trip with lot of luggage to be good go for punto or i20 as they have 60:40 split seats where you can accomodate more stuff.

Now Polo - Its nice looking car, can be considered on par with i20/Punto in terms of space/size. No harm waiting for it if you dont have the wanting for a car right away.
@ samsan02 -> Thank you very much for you detailed information. Is it worth to wait for Polo as i am really not sure if it'll be priced within 5L Ex-showroom price? Even if i go for the base model of Polo i.e. trendline, is it better than i20 or Punto or Ritz?

Regards,

Vish

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks