Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2010, 23:35   #1

Maruti Suzuki Ritz now available with Automatic Transmission on the Vxi variant

I am looking for a small car for my wife and 4 yr old son who will be moving to India this month. We wanted to go for Swift, but after looking at Ritz and reading all the reviews we decided to buy the Ritz. But I want to know whether Ritz has an optional automatic transmission. I cant seem to find this information anywhere online. On one of the sites, it is mentioned that it comes both in manual and automatic transmissions but that information is not available on Maruti's website. Can someone please let me know if I can get an automatic in Ritz, and if yes, will there be a longer wait time for it (in Hyderabad)?

If the answer is no, then we"ll have to go for a Swift (assuming it has automatic) or an i10, in that order.

TIA
Old 6th January 2010, 10:14   #2
BHPian

Ritz and Swift dont have automatics as of now available for Purchase in India. Hatches that come with Automatics are

Hyundai - i20, I10 and Santro
Maruti - Wagon R (?)

Best bet would be the Hyundai stable - The i20 is about the same size as Swift is and has a nice engine. My friend and Colleague has a Santro Automatic and has only praised the car. The i10 should be better considering it has a larger heart for an engine

Last edited by sreedotk : 6th January 2010 at 10:15.
Old 6th January 2010, 10:21   #3
BHPian

Just wish Maurthi will bring out the Ritz Diesel Automatic, it will be a killer. Why is no car manufacturer bringing out a nice small diesel car with an automatic transmission?

The day the Ritz diesel automatic comes out I am buying it, even though I have a Santro Automatic.
Old 6th January 2010, 10:31   #4
BHPian

The only option you have right now in small automatic car is the i10.
Wagon R AT I guess is 'made to order' and is not really commended.

If you want to plonk 8+ Lacs you can also get the i20 AT, with all the goodies.

If you find a good Santro AT in the used car market, I believe it would be a great buy!
Old 6th January 2010, 12:28   #5
BHPian

If you look at the 2nd hand market, you can get a Corolla A/T in the market
Old 7th January 2010, 00:48   #6

Thank you all. I so wish Ritz had an auto transmission. We still like it and probably go for a manual transmission considering we"ll have a driver for the first few months during which my wife can get used to driving a manual.

I like i10, but FE is a big concern. We had a 2004 Santro in the family which we sold in 2008 that used to give around 10 or 11 km/pl, and from what I read here i10 doesnt fare any better. That is definitely not going to work. Corolla is not an option as we are specifically looking for a small car for city drving and parking convenience. I already have a car in mind that I plan to buy for myself when I return to India later this year..a Scorpio..
Old 7th January 2010, 01:37   #7
Senior - BHPian

Go for the i10 auto dude. Thats the best A/T among hatchs. Being a prowd owner of an i10 asta A/T I would recommend it. Its more good looking & spacious than Ritz; and i10 offers more features than Ritz (like sunroof etc).
Old 7th January 2010, 01:52   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahipalc View Post
Thank you all. I so wish Ritz had an auto transmission. We still like it and probably go for a manual transmission considering we"ll have a driver for the first few months during which my wife can get used to driving a manual.

I like i10, but FE is a big concern. We had a 2004 Santro in the family which we sold in 2008 that used to give around 10 or 11 km/pl, and from what I read here i10 doesnt fare any better. That is definitely not going to work. Corolla is not an option as we are specifically looking for a small car for city drving and parking convenience. I already have a car in mind that I plan to buy for myself when I return to India later this year..a Scorpio..
Even ff RITZ came with an auto, the FE would also be in the same range as the i-10 auto. 10-11 is pretty good for an A/T

You can also look at used Gen2 Honda City CVT. They are much smaller than Corolla.
Old 7th January 2010, 06:31   #9

While my heart is set on Ritz (for the very reason most everybody dislikes it, the rear), we will take a serious look at i10. For us AT was/is more important than FE, so i10 may win in the end...
Old 7th January 2010, 08:02   #10
Senior - BHPian

IMO, the best Automatic choice for you would be the i10 Automatic as of now.
Old 7th January 2010, 09:09   #11
Senior - BHPian

I guess you could fit a CNG/LPG kit after a while if you are concerened about fuel bills.
Old 7th January 2010, 10:07   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahipalc View Post
While my heart is set on Ritz (for the very reason most everybody dislikes it, the rear), we will take a serious look at i10. For us AT was/is more important than FE, so i10 may win in the end...
Hi Sir,

I am a Ritz user. I am 62. Of course Ritz does not have AT. I believe i10/120 might have. I looked at all the factors before purchase and gave many test drives. The advantages with Ritz is tall boy design. High comfortable seat. If you are going to be in a city then the Indian city traffic is not going to be favorable for the AT. The Power steering is easy to drive. Mine is a Diesel version which gives 18km in city and 21plus on High way. At this age if I can feel comfortable and drive 10k with in this time factor. Younger people can easily tackle the Ritz with PS. You can decide or tell your madam to have test drive and opt. As the VW polo is coming shortly why don't you think of that too.
Old 7th January 2010, 10:13   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Even ff RITZ came with an auto, the FE would also be in the same range as the i-10 auto. 10-11 is pretty good for an A/T

You can also look at used Gen2 Honda City CVT. They are much smaller than Corolla.
I think he was talking about the Diesel here.
It should give atleast 15 kmpl, even with the autobox.

Wonder why Hyundais and Marutis are not putting their auto boxes (both have 4 speed ones) in their diesel hatches. Sad.

People would lap it up at a cost increment of 70-75k odd, for the convenience.
Old 7th January 2010, 14:54   #14
BHPian

Hi,
If you really like Ritz then go for it, you will really have a peace of mind on your own decision. Its a best car and after sales & service from Maruti is good. Better have a talk to different dealers in the City before booking and find whether they can provide you an automatic transmission. Reason is, Toyota had provided an automatic transmission Corolla for one of my friend on special request at Hyderabad. You may also give a try for your luck before booking a manual transmission.
Hyundai i10, Santro Xing, i20 Automatic are already in the market. Buying a Ritz is overall a good decision.
Old 7th January 2010, 21:36   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navan49 View Post
If you are going to be in a city then the Indian city traffic is not going to be favorable for the AT.
This caught my eye. With all due respect, Sir, ATs are absolutely perfect for urban Indian traffic. Infact, they're all but a waste on the open freeways of America or the Autobahns of Europe where a manual transmission can extract some serious driving pleasure out of machines.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed