Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2010, 16:53   #61
Senior - BHPian

My first preference would be i20 but after reading that you're not really into Korean cars, my second preference would be the Jazz.

It might have less features as compared to i20 or GP but it has all the basic features you need - PS, power windows, integrated audio system,etc! But it beats the rest of the cars in the segment terms of space utilisation and comfort. Plus being a Honda the reliabilty is great and has a little snob value too.

Last edited by aparth : 3rd February 2010 at 16:54.
Old 3rd February 2010, 17:41   #62
Senior - BHPian

I wonder why no one is suggesting the Swift. Now, it comes with the 1.2L K Series engine used in Ritz.

My suggestion for you would be Swift Zxi / Ritz Zxi. They are worth the money you pay.
Old 3rd February 2010, 19:28   #63
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kool_Kid View Post
Hey Suhaas ,

Please allow me to confuse you further . If i were you, i might be tempted to go in for all new Mahindra Thar ( its a mini SUV ) which can go up to speed of 140 + with out a sweat and should be easy to park ( as its a SWB).

This way you will not need to look for a jeep once the OTR bug bites .... yes it will once you have been long enough on team-bhp ... just ask our Yeti@
Thank you for your suggestion! But we're not looking at Jeeps. I do like the idea of owning one but it isn't practical at all! We just want a no-nonsense hatchback that would deliver without a fuss!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxstuv View Post
+1 for Jazz
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow View Post
As money is not an issue, please go in for the Jazz.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KALINGA View Post
If your budget is not limited then ZaZZ will be a great buy.

Honda Zazz (Peice in mind)
VW Polo (If you wait till lunch)
i20 - 1.4 AT (Reliable and safe)
Skoda Fabia (Not sure about A*S*S )
Swift ZXi(VFM)
GetZ 1.3(VFM)
GM UVA (No idea )
Tata Indica (Bhagban Bharose.... )

All the above are strictly my openion. I have never driven some of car from the list so views may differ person to person.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anand123 View Post
As your budget is not limited, you'd be looking at the Jazz. Consider the VW Polo also if you are ready to wait.
Quote:
Originally Posted by princemanatt View Post
I read the thread subject ' hatch- price no bar', then the immediate thought that comes to my mind is one testing OD had done some time back taking most of the hatches to leh.And the conclusion was if money no object, the best hatch you can buy is Jazz. They were also commenting on how they thought Jazz was overpriced for what it offers and how the test changed that perception(for them!).If money is a criteria Ritz. Just wanted to share it with you.
with all of you! We will wait for the Polo. Till then, the Jazz is a hot favourite! we have considered other options as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bean View Post
If price is not a problem, you can chose the FIAT 500. Full of goodies and uniqueness all around.
Most production hatches on the country cost within 9 lakhs. When I said "price no bar", I meant to say that we'd consider a hatch that costs even 9 lakhs!

P.S. The Fiat 500 was sold in limited numbers in India. Fiat doesn't sell it anymore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamtheLeo View Post
I would suggest what I have done in my family, I was in a same situation & I bought a Fiat Punto ( Diesel as my running is very high) So what if FIAT has done bad in past, they are trying to recover & there is always an issue with A.S.S. be it any company. Mahindra , TATA, any one. In fact there have been threads about Honda / Toyota' s bad A.S.S as well & more over you purchase a car to drive, servicing happens in 15K kms.
Also it is about the faetures & product you get is valur for money or not. Jazz would have been good had it been at the price of Punto but it now way too over priced. You can spend any amount does not mean to have to spend highest to get best, You can save a lot of it for later use.
Also there is a thread for Fiat service center & most the people(above 50%) of TBHP have rated Fiat A.S.S as " Meets Expectation" or 3/5 even with the hawk eye we keep for Fiat. So go ahead mate enjoy!!! take a td of all cars!! Take your parents along & i am sure quality will speak itself.
Thank you for your valuable suggestions, Sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aparth View Post
My first preference would be i20 but after reading that you're not really into Korean cars, my second preference would be the Jazz.

It might have less features as compared to i20 or GP but it has all the basic features you need - PS, power windows, integrated audio system,etc! But it beats the rest of the cars in the segment terms of space utilisation and comfort. Plus being a Honda the reliabilty is great and has a little snob value too.
The Jazz doesn't have a zillion air-bags or a multimedia interface and all, but it doesn't matter to us! As long as it has ABS and two air-bags, and all the necessity comforts like air-conditioning, remote-locking, etc. we're happy! So the i20 is still out of contention!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
I wonder why no one is suggesting the Swift. Now, it comes with the 1.2L K Series engine used in Ritz.

My suggestion for you would be Swift Zxi / Ritz Zxi. They are worth the money you pay.
Good suggestion! We will definitely consider the Ritz. The Swift would've been a good option but there are too many on the road now! Everywhere you turn, you see a Swift! We'd like a little exclusivity!

P.S. Guys, our test-drive sessions have been put off for a week or so due to a family crisis. We're looking to get past this issue quickly and get on with the test-drives as soon as possible! Thank you all for your suggestions! I will keep everyone's suggestions in mind! Thank you all once again!

Last edited by suhaas307 : 3rd February 2010 at 19:30.
Old 8th February 2010, 13:40   #64
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

suhaas
whats up?
what have you decided on? Or are you still evaluating?
give us an update!
cheers
Old 8th February 2010, 14:43   #65
BHPian

With all the price bashing that we give the Jazz, it's still a lovely car in all respects. You have the manual box ready. Just spec the wheels to your choice and you should be good.

Why not the others? I would consider all others as well, but look at this package:

1. While the A.S.S. of Honda may not be top class, it is really not bad either
2. The ride quality of this car is superlative
3. It has an engine that would thrill all your family members be it in the city or the highway.

Let us know what you guys finally decided on and why. Cheers.
Old 8th February 2010, 22:49   #66
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
suhaas
whats up?
what have you decided on? Or are you still evaluating?
give us an update!
cheers
We had planned to book a couple of test drives last weekend but unfortunately, it didn't happen, Shankar. However, we've booked for a few test drives this weekend. The Jazz, the Beat and the Ritz will be evaluated by us now. Followed by the Punto, the Fabia (my mum wanted to check the car out) and the i20 (just out of sheer curiosity!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevGin View Post
With all the price bashing that we give the Jazz, it's still a lovely car in all respects. You have the manual box ready. Just spec the wheels to your choice and you should be good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevGin View Post
Why not the others? I would consider all others as well, but look at this package:

1. While the A.S.S. of Honda may not be top class, it is really not bad either
2. The ride quality of this car is superlative
3. It has an engine that would thrill all your family members be it in the city or the highway.

Let us know what you guys finally decided on and why. Cheers.
About the ride quality, we still have to evaluate it but from what I've heard, it's great! But Honda's A.S.S. is something we will never complain about! We think it's top class because we haven't had any issues with our Civic's service and I don't think we'll have a problem in the future either!

Thank you for your input!
Old 9th February 2010, 06:39   #67
Team-BHP Support

Suhaas,

I had the same opinion as yours on Korean cars, but that has changed now.
Korean cars have evolved big time since then. Once you TD an i20, I think you may also change yours.

I suspect then you will have a close fight between i20 and Jazz. From the Ritz point of view; if the driver is short, its kind of an issue. Having a full view with the legs on the gear, becomes a bit of a problem. My father experiences this. But since the car is mostly driven, he is OK. Please do on that front.

Last edited by ampere : 9th February 2010 at 06:40.
Old 9th February 2010, 06:46   #68
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

great!
jazz is nice -but somehow I dont like the 1.2 engine in it which is ok for the city but am not sure about the highways. then i think the wheels and tyres need a change from the stock ones, to make it more action packed. then since there is no music system, one needs to stick one in plus add a few more bells and whistles. all these expenses, added to the high initial acquisition cost of the car, make me think that this is one expensive car to own. however it is very well put together.

maybe you should wait for the figo and the polo - there is a test drive thread on the polo already here dated yesterday.

hope you are able to decide with the amount of choice available to you today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
We had planned to book a couple of test drives last weekend but unfortunately, it didn't happen, Shankar. However, we've booked for a few test drives this weekend. The Jazz, the Beat and the Ritz will be evaluated by us now. Followed by the Punto, the Fabia (my mum wanted to check the car out) and the i20 (just out of sheer curiosity!)

About the ride quality, we still have to evaluate it but from what I've heard, it's great! But Honda's A.S.S. is something we will never complain about! We think it's top class because we haven't had any issues with our Civic's service and I don't think we'll have a problem in the future either!

Old 9th February 2010, 07:05   #69
BHPian

Hi,

Just bought a white Jazz on the 1st of this month.

Can recommend it wholeheartedly. Very very refined and smooth. Excellent quality.

The engine is CREAMY. The seating position and view outside is excellent. The seats are very comfortable. (sedan size seats).

Which other cars were considered? i20, Grand Punto, Fabia, wait for Polo, even Ritz.

But one look at the Jazz and the entire family was bowled over.

We are Honda lovers too. Already have a OHC Vtec (2002) and a Civic A/T (2007). So now we have Hondas in all 3 sizes - S/M/L (LOL).

The car replaces a 5 year old Swift, which has given given us quite some heartaches on the quality and reliability - rattles, switches not working, car locked itself up and would not open, check engine light on - ecu replaced etc.etc.

The OHC VTEC has never had a bad day. Neither has the Civic iVTEC. We trust the same will be true for the Jazz.

So, go for the Jazz with eyes closed.

(BTW I got 60K discount on 2009 model). PM me if you need any help on this account.

Cheers, and have a jazzy time!
Old 9th February 2010, 10:28   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... and the i20 (just out of sheer curiosity!)
So, finally you decided to give a chance to the Koreans . I have a feeling that you would be pleasantly surprised. IMHO, i20 is probably the best VFM car in this segment right now. Feature rich.

As shankar.balan mentioned, Polo too is worth consideration though VW's A.S.S. is yet to be proven.
Old 9th February 2010, 12:06   #71
BHPian

I too was not keen on Korean cars till I drove i20. I have an i20 CRDI Asta (O) - You'll love the build quality and the sun roof

It is loaded to the gills:
1. Automatic Climate Control - Pretty good.
2. Steering integrated Music System. USB/ipod connectivity
3. Alloy Wheels
4. I really love the looks of i20 - Quite Muscular
5. SUN ROOF! IT ROCKS.
6. Steering designed for city driving. ZERO strain while driving in city.
7. 6 airbags!
8. Excellent display (outside temperature, track played, date, time etc)

(I get 15-16 kmpl in city and 22 kmpl in highways - Engine is too refined for a diesel! Love the 224 Nm torque - You'll love the way it overtakes other cars on the highway. But, these may not matter since you are opting for a petrol)

Jazz is anyday more spacious - I test drove that too. I am not a big fan of the 1.2l Jazz Engine. I haven't driven i20 petrol. So, can't really compare.

i20 is the best Hyundai out there, and I chose it over many other hatchbacks and sedans. I did not have much of a budget restraint while choosing this car. I paid 8.44 for the car and paid about 22K for tyre upgrade. The car fits my requirements like a T.

If Hyundai/Korea are the only reasons stopping you from i20, please don't. This comes from a previous Hyundai/Korean car basher.

Last edited by sriramv.iyer : 9th February 2010 at 12:08.
Old 9th February 2010, 12:20   #72
BHPian

money no bar, then jazz no competetion, its a complete no brainer, dont even think twice, just go for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Suhaas,

I had the same opinion as yours on Korean cars, but that has changed now.
Korean cars have evolved big time since then. Once you TD an i20, I think you may also change yours.

I suspect then you will have a close fight between i20 and Jazz. From the Ritz point of view; if the driver is short, its kind of an issue. Having a full view with the legs on the gear, becomes a bit of a problem. My father experiences this. But since the car is mostly driven, he is OK. Please do on that front.
Old 9th February 2010, 13:59   #73
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Fabia is selling more nos- thanks to its recent awards and lot of marketing from Skoda- i think there are some discounts being given too...
Did you consider the Ford Figo? I recall that width and parking is a big issue- then how would the jazz and fabia fit in?
U certainly have a lot of eyes glued to what you are gonna do man...reminds me of the curiosity folks had about who rakhi was going to marry in her show
Old 9th February 2010, 14:54   #74
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
great!
jazz is nice -but somehow I dont like the 1.2 engine in it which is ok for the city but am not sure about the highways. then i think the wheels and tyres need a change from the stock ones, to make it more action packed. then since there is no music system, one needs to stick one in plus add a few more bells and whistles. all these expenses, added to the high initial acquisition cost of the car, make me think that this is one expensive car to own. however it is very well put together.
Most definitely! I'm not letting my dad keep this stock! Will change the tyres as the current 175 sections are just too narrow for its size and ability! There is a direct up-size to 195 sections that Nikhilb2008 enlightened me about! Besides, I'm thinking a tyre change is more than enough because we're looking to up-size our Civic's wheels in sometime!

And yes, the 1.2 isn't very inspiring! I would've preferred the 1.5 mill that does duty in the City any day! But since we won't be doing any highway runs in our hatch, I guess it should be fine!

Quote:
maybe you should wait for the figo and the polo - there is a test drive thread on the polo already here dated yesterday.

hope you are able to decide with the amount of choice available to you today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh View Post
Did you consider the Ford Figo? I recall that width and parking is a big issue- then how would the jazz and fabia fit in?
U certainly have a lot of eyes glued to what you are gonna do man...reminds me of the curiosity folks had about who rakhi was going to marry in her show
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
So, finally you decided to give a chance to the Koreans . I have a feeling that you would be pleasantly surprised. IMHO, i20 is probably the best VFM car in this segment right now. Feature rich.

As shankar.balan mentioned, Polo too is worth consideration though VW's A.S.S. is yet to be proven.
We would love to try out the Polo! Has it been launched yet? Are bookings open now?

As for the Figo, we would prefer to stay away from Ford due to a few bad experiences that we dealt with in the past regarding after sales and service!

MKH,

I'm quite surprised that this thread is now a couple of pages! My dilema seems to be hot property! Hehe..

Oh and yes. Parking is an issue, and all will be revealed once the test-drive sessions start and they begin this Friday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumain View Post
Hi,

Just bought a white Jazz on the 1st of this month.

Can recommend it wholeheartedly. Very very refined and smooth. Excellent quality...

...So, go for the Jazz with eyes closed.

(BTW I got 60K discount on 2009 model). PM me if you need any help on this account.

Cheers, and have a jazzy time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitemm550 View Post
money no bar, then jazz no competetion, its a complete no brainer, dont even think twice, just go for it.
with all of you! The Jazz is what we're looking to pick up too! Come this Friday and a lot would be revealed! All we need to know is if it fits in our slot without a fuss!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramv.iyer View Post
I too was not keen on Korean cars till I drove i20. I have an i20 CRDI Asta (O) - You'll love the build quality and the sun roof ...

...This comes from a previous Hyundai/Korean car basher.
The i20 will be considered! The features that come standard sound extremely tempting and it feels more Euro than Korean! Lets see how it goes!
Old 9th February 2010, 15:01   #75
Senior - BHPian

Dude, dont tell me you still havent measured the parking space yet .
Come on, go measure and get the damn Jazz.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks