Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 28th January 2010, 15:56   #46
Senior - BHPian

With that budget. You should be getting the best hatch in the country right now. And that is the Jazz. Forget about the long equipment list of other cars. Here what you have got will be there for quite some time.

Another car that you should try out (Inspite of you not liking an auto/Hyundai) is the i20 1.4 Auto. I think you should not miss the opportunity to experience this 100bhp motor during your buying process
Old 28th January 2010, 16:02   #47
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

discontinued now due to poor response as far as I know which is why I speak of the poor SRV in the past tense in my post

Quote:
Originally Posted by donarun View Post
is the SRV still sold by chevy ?
Old 28th January 2010, 16:06   #48
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
I am not trying to convince you on i20, but have a look at the following Fortune Magazine article on Hyundai.
Hyundai smokes the competition - Jan. 5, 2010
That was a rather long, but interesting article! Good to know that Hyundai is giving tough competition to the rest of the World! It would be nice to see Tata come up like the way Hyundai has over the past few years!

Because of pressure from my mom, we have to go to the Hyundai showroom as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Hey!

Yes I do agree that the Fabia's petrol engine is small. But the car itself inspires a feeling of "solidity" that not many other currently available cars here can.

The Jazz is a nice vehicle by itself but still a bit over-priced despite the recent flurry of discounting. If the Honda chaps would atleast load it up a bit and then charge for it, that would be acceptable to me. However, it is a lovely little glasshouse of a car - I like its looks. It handles very nicely in the city too, though I personally felt the 1.2 engine to be a bit small-ish.

I dont know what the Grande Punto with the proposed new upgraded engine etc will be like. Am keenly looking forward to what that will be like because all things considered the Punto is truly a head turner! I just love that Italian Styling - it looks so much like an Alfa Romeo Brera in profile - I really love its looks! The car is nicely and solidly built - like the Fabia is - there's a great "feel good' factor in that! Once the new engine option is available the car, being smaller than the linea, could have a lot of added grunt. If I were in the market for a nice hot hatch I would seriously consider this one - the top end spec, but once the new engine option comes!

I might have even suggested the Chevy SRV but despite its beautiful styling, it never really did very well in the marketplace - perhaps it was a bit too ahead of its time!

Nice to hear that we may see some new action early Feb! But I would put a small word of restraint here - it might really be worth your while to hang in there for the VW Polo and Ford Figo - both look exceedingly promising.
The Chevrolet SRV, unfortunately, was launched way ahead of its time! At 9 lakhs a pop, it delivered what a regular run-on-the-mill sedan does albeit without a boot! And this added to its appeal! I loved it right from the start! The high lift-back bum looks really good and the whole car is undoubtedly gorgeous! In fact, we test drove it when it was launched and we were pretty impressed! The engine felt meaty but was let down by the poor gearbox! The handling was good and so was the ride! But we were looking for something with a boot!

I spoke to the Tata dealer on Lalbagh road and he provided me with the on road prices and finance options. I took this opportunity to enquire about the 'Abarth-ish' Punto Sport that was displayed at the Auto Expo earlier this month. He said that this kit would available as an option in 3 months, but only on the base variant, the 1.2 Active!

Here is the link: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/auto-e...po-2010-a.html

We will wait for the Polo!

Last edited by suhaas307 : 28th January 2010 at 16:16.
Old 28th January 2010, 16:10   #49
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Glad to know you will wait for the Polo. thats bound to impress because it really looks as if VW is deadly serious about the smaller yet premium hatch market in India and typical of them, they will go about it with Teutonic precision!

also glad to see that you will at least do a TD of the I 20 - I like that car a lot and think that it is amazing value + quality. I didnt put it into the consideration set in the last post since you had mentioned your aversion to Hyundai / Korean vehicles in general.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
That was a rather long, but interesting article! Good to know that Hyundai is giving tough competition to the rest of the World! It would be nice to see Tata come up like the way Hyundai has over the past few years!

Because of pressure from my mom, we have to go to the Hyundai showroom as well!

The Chevrolet SRV, unfortunately, was launched way ahead of its time! At 9 lakhs a pop, it delivered what a regular run-on-the-mill sedan does albeit without a boot! And this added to its appeal! I loved it right from the start! The high lift-back bum looks really good and the whole car is undoubtedly gorgeous! In fact, we test drove it when it was launched and we were pretty impressed! The engine felt meaty but was let down by the poor gearbox! The handling was good and so was the ride! But we were looking for something with a boot!

I spoke to the Tata dealer on Lalbagh road and he provided me with the on road prices and finance options. I took this opportunity to enquire about the 'Abarth-ish' Punto Sport that was displayed at the Auto Expo earlier this month. He said that this kit would available as an option in 3 months, but only on the base variant, the 1.2 Active!

We will wait for the Polo!
Old 28th January 2010, 20:33   #50
BHPian

Chev beat could be a nice choice, as its very peppy and it has all the features for its class, including ABS+AirBag+AAC. when it comes for a lesser price why would we miss it? the only drawback is that on the rear only 2 can sit
Old 30th January 2010, 16:37   #51
BHPian

Suhaas the Jazz is only 15mm (0.59 inch)wider than the Ritz and only 185 mm(7 inches) longer.But it has plenty of luggage space as well, which the Ritz does not have.One of the reasons why I had to give it up.
Old 30th January 2010, 17:24   #52
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnanimousdude View Post
Chev beat could be a nice choice, as its very peppy and it has all the features for its class, including ABS+AirBag+AAC. when it comes for a lesser price why would we miss it? the only drawback is that on the rear only 2 can sit
I am indeed considering the Beat! It looks very promising and we're looking forward to test driving it in a weeks time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit162 View Post
Suhaas the Jazz is only 15mm (0.59 inch)wider than the Ritz and only 185 mm(7 inches) longer.But it has plenty of luggage space as well, which the Ritz does not have.One of the reasons why I had to give it up.
The Jazz isn't too wide! It's around 1690mm or so (I think?) and like I've mentioned before, if it manages to fit in our parking spot, we would close our eyes and go in for it! Thanks for the statistics!
Old 30th January 2010, 18:05   #53
BHPian

Hey Suhaas ,

Please allow me to confuse you further . If i were you, i might be tempted to go in for all new Mahindra Thar ( its a mini SUV ) which can go up to speed of 140 + with out a sweat and should be easy to park ( as its a SWB).

This way you will not need to look for a jeep once the OTR bug bites .... yes it will once you have been long enough on team-bhp ... just ask our Yeti@

Last edited by Kool_Kid : 30th January 2010 at 18:07.
Old 31st January 2010, 22:40   #54

+1 for Jazz

It is a very practical and modern car. The interiors are spacious and comfortable. I test drove i20 and Jazz, and while I really wanted an automatic, I had to give up on i20 because it felt cramped compared to Jazz. The Jazz has a very 'open' feeling, perhaps because of the large glass panes, and also because of the dashboard placement. Also, i20 interiors felt 'plasticky' when compared to Jazz.

i20 wins on the spreadsheet when you are comparing features, but Jazz won for me because it's a much more refined car and has better quality.
Old 3rd February 2010, 11:05   #55
BHPian

As money is not an issue, please go in for the Jazz. After all, you parents deserve all the creature comforts the Jazz offers.
Old 3rd February 2010, 11:28   #56
BHPian

If price is not a problem, you can chose the FIAT 500. Full of goodies and uniqueness all around.
Old 3rd February 2010, 11:52   #57
BHPian

If your budget is not limited then ZaZZ will be a great buy.

Honda Zazz (Peice in mind)
VW Polo (If you wait till lunch)
i20 - 1.4 AT (Reliable and safe)
Skoda Fabia (Not sure about A*S*S )
Swift ZXi(VFM)
GetZ 1.3(VFM)
GM UVA (No idea )
Tata Indica (Bhagban Bharose.... )

All the above are strictly my openion. I have never driven some of car from the list so views may differ person to person.
Old 3rd February 2010, 12:37   #58
Senior - BHPian

As your budget is not limited, you'd be looking at the Jazz. Consider the VW Polo also if you are ready to wait.
Old 3rd February 2010, 14:49   #59
BHPian

I read the thread subject ' hatch- price no bar', then the immediate thought that comes to my mind is one testing OD had done some time back taking most of the hatches to leh.And the conclusion was if money no object, the best hatch you can buy is Jazz. They were also commenting on how they thought Jazz was overpriced for what it offers and how the test changed that perception(for them!).If money is a criteria Ritz. Just wanted to share it with you.
Old 3rd February 2010, 15:45   #60
BHPian

I would suggest what I have done in my family, I was in a same situation & I bought a Fiat Punto ( Diesel as my running is very high) So what if FIAT has done bad in past, they are trying to recover & there is always an issue with A.S.S. be it any company. Mahindra , TATA, any one. In fact there have been threads about Honda / Toyota' s bad A.S.S as well & more over you purchase a car to drive, servicing happens in 15K kms.
Also it is about the faetures & product you get is valur for money or not. Jazz would have been good had it been at the price of Punto but it now way too over priced. You can spend any amount does not mean to have to spend highest to get best, You can save a lot of it for later use.
Also there is a thread for Fiat service center & most the people(above 50%) of TBHP have rated Fiat A.S.S as " Meets Expectation" or 3/5 even with the hawk eye we keep for Fiat. So go ahead mate enjoy!!! take a td of all cars!! Take your parents along & i am sure quality will speak itself.

Most Viewed