Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2010, 06:41   #136
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
The Jazz in particular, is as good as any mid-size car in the market! People have misunderstood its ability and have branded it as an expensive hatch instead (IMO)!
Quote:
It's a hatch with almost 400 liters of boot space and enough leg room to give most D-Segment cars a complex! This car is a gem! It's superb and it doesn't get the respect it deserves! Arm-chair critics should seriously give it a try!
Sorry suhaas307, I beg to differ with you here. Can some one convince me why I should spend 8 lakhs for Jazz when, if I spend 2 lakhs more, I get an Innova? That is, if space is considered as value.
At the end of the, money is going out of my pocket. And I would want the highest quality; my definition of quality is "value in a context".
Old 26th February 2010, 08:40   #137
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
Sorry suhaas307, I beg to differ with you here. Can some one convince me why I should spend 8 lakhs for Jazz when, if I spend 2 lakhs more, I get an Innova? That is, if space is considered as value.
At the end of the, money is going out of my pocket. And I would want the highest quality; my definition of quality is "value in a context".
If you are looking at a small package which can give BIG space- the jazz is the best option, its not about what you can buy, its about what you want to buy. They are looking at a hatch and one which can give the comfort of a BIG car, the jazz is the closest in that aspect.
If i too want the flexibility of a city drive and still have the space to fit in 4 with luggage, i would buy the jazz.
For that matter why spend 2 lacs more, for about 8.5 ON road one can get a Scorpio !!
Old 26th February 2010, 08:47   #138
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manupriyam View Post
I think I spoke too early on i20 performance. When I drove it with 5 people, it was as sluggish as I am used to with car scarping most of the speed bumps too. I struggled overtaking trucks on the sharjapur road, Bangalore. Big No NO from my son and wife, funny that I was test driving back to the showroom for booking the car.

Suddenly feel depressed as it seems there is no worth while car for my hard earned money :-(

Tried SX4 too but surely not at all refined for that kind of money. What to do?
Are you looking at a hatch or even a sedan? Sedan means you should TD fiesta and verna- both are decent bets with enough power and space too.
No major reasons not to contemplate either of them.
If only a hatch then maybe none out there which can pull 5 people easily on highways/long drives as they are tuned for city drives- i-10 and Ritz both should be able to pull though. Not sure about Punto though with the 1.4 petrol and 1.3 diesel if it has enough grunt to pull 5 but surely it cant seat 5 with comfort, the rear side being slightly cramped.
do not wish to hijack this thread so better to post your requirements on a seperate thread, this is purely to Suhas's quest

Last edited by mkh : 26th February 2010 at 08:49.
Old 26th February 2010, 09:45   #139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh View Post
If you are looking at a small package which can give BIG space- the jazz is the best option, its not about what you can buy, its about what you want to buy. They are looking at a hatch and one which can give the comfort of a BIG car, the jazz is the closest in that aspect.
If i too want the flexibility of a city drive and still have the space to fit in 4 with luggage, i would buy the jazz.
For that matter why spend 2 lacs more, for about 8.5 ON road one can get a Scorpio !!
I am not saying about suhaas307's case. See the comments for which I have responded. Those are general statements, for which I have responded as a typical Indian buyer. What I explained could be the rationale behind such hatches not selling, and VFM buys like Scorpio, Innova selling.
Old 26th February 2010, 11:01   #140
BHPian

Only petrol variants to be considered. Maruti A star- great ride, great engine, not that wide.
Maruti Ritz- great engine, commanding road view.
VW Polo- newcomer, great looks, mature ride, quality interiors.
Chevy Beat- space age looks, good ride.
Old 26th February 2010, 12:22   #141
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Quote:
I am not saying about suhaas307's case. See the comments for which I have responded. Those are general statements, for which I have responded as a typical Indian buyer. What I explained could be the rationale behind such hatches not selling, and VFM buys like Scorpio, Innova selling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh View Post

The Jazz is such a well packaged car with plenty of space, oodles of style, a peppy motor and compact exterior dimensions that aid parking and maneuvering through traffic. Yes, an Innova would give you plenty of space and more power and all for just a lakh or so more, but when someone's in the market for a hatch, they wouldn't give a second glance at an Innova or a Scorpio!

There are plenty of people out there who need a car for daily city use only and their budget would be around 8-9 lakhs. They'd be looking for a car that's peppy enough for city traffic and spacious enough for 4-5 people. The boot would be used mostly for groceries and the monthly shopping bags and the odd trip to Ooty.

Now all this being the criteria, they set off to buy the car. They look at the Jazz and they see that it's nice. They look at a Dzire or a Fiesta or even the City and they notice that the prices are very similar. They begin to weigh their options and start eliminating on the basis of features. Being a typical Indian buyer, they see that the City/Dzire/Fiesta/SX4 has a boot and they see that they're relatively bigger cars than the Jazz despite falling in the same price bracket. They think to themselves:

"Why spend 8 lakhs on a car without a boot when I can spend the same money on a car that's relatively bigger. I can go one up on the neighbours as well!"

By thinking this way, they've forgotten the fact that the boot wouldn't be pressed into service more often than not. They've forgotten the fact that the bigger car has a larger foot print on the road, thereby proving to be a hindrance amidst tight traffic and small parking slots.

Yet, they feel good about themselves because they feel that they've got more for what they've spent.

No offense meant to anyone here, but this is how a typical Indian buyer thinks. The day when the public accept large expensive hatches for their sole purpose, we'll see a whole new market emerging which would consist of cars like the VW Golf, BMW 1-Series, Audi A3, Seat Leon/Ibiza, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Abhi View Post
Only petrol variants to be considered. Maruti A star- great ride, great engine, not that wide.
Maruti Ritz- great engine, commanding road view.
VW Polo- newcomer, great looks, mature ride, quality interiors.
Chevy Beat- space age looks, good ride.
The A-Star - Not what we're looking for. We want a larger hatch with more space and a refined, powerful engine.
Maruti Ritz - Not as well packaged as the rest. Lacks space and rear seat comfort. It will be put to use on and off and we'd like it to be good!
VW Polo - Great car but again, lousy 3-pot motor doesn't inspire confidence!
Chevrolet Beat - Cute car and nippy performance but again, too small and not what we're looking for!

Thank you for your suggestions Dr.Abhi!
Old 26th February 2010, 15:04   #142
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:

The Jazz is such a well packaged car with plenty of space, oodles of style, a peppy motor and compact exterior dimensions that aid parking and maneuvering through traffic.
===============
The day when the public accept large expensive hatches for their sole purpose, we'll see a whole new market emerging which would consist of cars like the VW Golf, BMW 1-Series, Audi A3, Seat Leon/Ibiza, etc.
+1 to this very well worded argument, i couldn't have put it better.at the end of the day, you need to buy what you need, not what the neighbours or the junta needs (read a boot for the sake of it).regarding the VFM argument of the usual bells and whistles missing from a car falling in this budget, i am happy to pay for the engineering aspect and can do without some of these gadgetry if it compromises on the core issue-engineering. entirely my personal opinion, may i add.

Last edited by Jaggu : 26th February 2010 at 15:14. Reason: Fixing quote, and please avoid quoting entire large posts for short reply. Use Preview before submitting. Thanks
Old 26th February 2010, 21:18   #143
BHPian

I agree Suhaas and Handsofsteel - if we can get over the saloon/ 3 box = status issue the Jazz with its big luggage space is more than enough and more practical then a saloon/sedan with a separate boot. You can simply dump things(shopping bags) from the rear seat.Opening the rear hatch and keeping luggage is also more convenient - as in my case with a back problem you dont have to bend to slide things in. Also the rear seats have enough leg room and the more compact profile gives it better manoeverabilty.The car is not very low so getting in and out is easy. The performance is good - what more could one ask? But I guess with the general feeling that I could get a three box for lesser cost - more people in my company have bought Dzire and City within last 1 month- 3 Dzire, 3 City, 1 Sx4, 1 Jazz(mine).
Old 27th February 2010, 12:13   #144
Senior - BHPian

Hey Suhaas, have you made your decision on going with Honda Jazz or you are going to wait for Polo 1.6?
Old 27th February 2010, 21:25   #145
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Sbraj, I sincerely hope you haven't taken offense to anything that I've said. It's just my opinion and I respect your opinion and give it the same amount of weightage as I give mine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit162 View Post
I agree Suhaas and Handsofsteel - if we can get over the saloon/ 3 box = status issue the Jazz with its big luggage space is more than enough and more practical then a saloon/sedan with a separate boot. You can simply dump things(shopping bags) from the rear seat.Opening the rear hatch and keeping luggage is also more convenient - as in my case with a back problem you dont have to bend to slide things in. Also the rear seats have enough leg room and the more compact profile gives it better manoeverabilty.The car is not very low so getting in and out is easy. The performance is good - what more could one ask? But I guess with the general feeling that I could get a three box for lesser cost - more people in my company have bought Dzire and City within last 1 month- 3 Dzire, 3 City, 1 Sx4, 1 Jazz(mine).
Absolutely! It's the way the typical Indian buyer thinks! More for less has always been the way to go about while deciding on something to buy. And it doesn't apply only to cars!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
Hey Suhaas, have you made your decision on going with Honda Jazz or you are going to wait for Polo 1.6?
I've spoken to my parents and I've asked them if they're ready to wait for the Polo 1.6. They said that it would be a good idea so let's hope the VW will introduce the Polo 1.6, at least by June/July. If there is a further delay, we might book the Jazz.
Old 27th February 2010, 21:52   #146
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I've spoken to my parents and I've asked them if they're ready to wait for the Polo 1.6. They said that it would be a good idea so let's hope the VW will introduce the Polo 1.6, at least by June/July. If there is a further delay, we might book the Jazz.
Do note that you will never the Jazz kind of backseat comfort.
Old 27th February 2010, 23:51   #147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Suhaas, why don't you TD Polo 1.2 Highline? It looks like the petrol version is better than the diesel version. Checkout the Polo review from GTO and Rehaan. It seems like Polo 1.6 will not be available in the near future.
Old 28th February 2010, 00:23   #148
Senior - BHPian

I have a feeling that VW won't introduce the 1.6. They are just getting our hopes high :(
Old 28th February 2010, 00:28   #149
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
Suhaas, why don't you TD Polo 1.2 Highline? It looks like the petrol version is better than the diesel version. Checkout the Polo review from GTO and Rehaan. It seems like Polo 1.6 will not be available in the near future.
Do you think it's worth TDing the Polo 1.2 petrol? We've alreadydriven the Fabia and we liked it but the 1.2 3-pot mill was a put-off! And it's probably one of the reasons why we're not buying it! I'm guessing that the Polo would feel very similar when compared to the Fabia. It sure looks better than the Fabia IMO but is that all?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aparth View Post
I have a feeling that VW won't introduce the 1.6. They are just getting our hopes high :(
I hope they do! Otherwise, I don't see the point in waiting for it! This is very frustrating!
Old 28th February 2010, 00:40   #150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Do you think it's worth TDing the Polo 1.2 petrol? We've alreadydriven the Fabia and we liked it but the 1.2 3-pot mill was a put-off! And it's probably one of the reasons why we're not buying it! I'm guessing that the Polo would feel very similar when compared to the Fabia. It sure looks better than the Fabia IMO but is that all?
I have a feel like it would definitely be better than Fabia. Just give a try on Polo 1.2 anyway.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks