Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2010, 22:59   #1
BHPian

Punto 1.2 Active or Chevy Beat LT

I need help here guys, this confusion is for my bro-in-law, but I am posting because he is not tech-savvy,

He almost confirmed a Punto 1.2 Active but then Beat was launched and it added to the confusion, had it been me I would have picked Punto anyday, because when its about "exotic" economical beauty, nothing can beat the Punto (not even the Polo).

The confusion is -
Punto has 1.2 lt engine which is 68 ps compared to Beat's 80.5 ps
But space and sheet metal quality of the Punto is light years ahead of the Beat.

Second major confusion is about service, Checy has better service coverage as compare to Fiat (this is what a Fiat owner told my bro-in-law).

The car would be mostly for week-end runs, with 90% City (Delhi) and 10% Highway

Guys please provide your inputs
Old 17th January 2010, 05:39   #2
Senior - BHPian

You cite the engine output's as a matter of concern. Well if that is the primary concern, the 1.2 Active doesn't feel underpowered in the city.

The Beat, though ultra modern can't hold a candle to the Punto in terms of style, space and comfort (best ride and handling package among all hatchbacks in India).

Chevy's service is no great shakes and Fiat is steadily improving and definitely has larger network because of the tie-up with Tata.

However, to me it seems that the number of people traveling in the car is of importance. If only the front 2 seats are being used, the Beat with it's tiny boot and strictly average rear seating space is good enough. In my opinion, the USP of the Beat is the safety kit on offer for this budget and some people love the way it looks.

I have a question for you though, why did the Beat come into the equation? Because if the Beat did come into the equation, the Ritz (which in my opinion is a better car if you are fine with the styling) is the one to go for.

Otherwise: Punto all the way
Old 17th January 2010, 06:01   #3
Senior - BHPian

Both are good. My question is simple - is he anywhere near East Delhi?

If he is, then he has Samyak/Elegant Automobiles to buy/service from and he gets total peace of mind. Even otherwise, Fiat now has enough service centers.

Its the same bloody grease monkeys everywhere - don't go by number - find one good one, or one whose GM/owner you know irrespective of whichever brand you go for.
Old 17th January 2010, 12:03   #4
BHPian

The Punto is by all means a better built car,but this also means that it weighs more than the Beat. Again the Beat is a smaller car compared to the Punto.

The power to weight ratio of
Beat --- 82bhp/tonne
Punto 1.2--- 59bhp/tonne

The 1.2L Punto will really struggle in the highways.But as your usage is mostly in the city I don't think there is any problem in going for the Punto.
Old 17th January 2010, 12:17   #5
Senior - BHPian

I'd pick the Beat LT anyday over the Punto active. Beat is highly equipped and has better power to weight ratio and better F.E too. All this makes the Beat better VFM. Punto only makes sense if you go for Emotion. But that goes beyond your budget.
I'd say pick the Beat. The build quality is good and interiors are far more upmarket than the Punto.
Old 17th January 2010, 15:53   #6
BHPian

I was in the same boat till yesterday, Beat LT (O) on road in delhi for 4.8 while Punto Active is 4.5 with discounts. I have chosen the Beat after spending the whole day with both the cars yesterday. The factors which made me choose the beat are:
1. 80% usege will be me alone.
2. Max usege will be 3 people together.
3. Safety features in Delhi trafic and for some small drives
4. It is a loaded car, only additional upgrades needed are Tyres, Seat Covers and speaker changes.

Other wise its a perfect package.

Now someone to suggeat the correct upsize.
Old 17th January 2010, 17:43   #7
Senior - BHPian

My choice would be the Beat. Simply because it offers more VFM and features. Regarding A.S.S, there is nothing much to write about both Chevy and Fiat. Chevy would be better i guess. They have a maintenance plan where in you pay 12999 INR for a 3 yr maintenance provided by them.
Old 17th January 2010, 18:23   #8
Team-BHP Support

If you are planning only city usage with 2 people travelling, Beat OR no doubts about it, Punto all the way.
Old 17th January 2010, 18:47   #9
BHPian

Thank you everyone for the inputs,
Regarding Beat's VFM, its only if you got for the fully loaded model, since my bro-in-law was planning LT.

The highway drive will be only occasional, plus I forgot to mention that this would be a second car, there is already a i10 in the family, like I said it will mostly be used for city driving on week-ends or in bad weather in week-days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post
I'd pick the Beat LT anyday over the Punto active. Beat is highly equipped and has better power to weight ratio and better F.E too. All this makes the Beat better VFM. Punto only makes sense if you go for Emotion. But that goes beyond your budget.
I'd say pick the Beat. The build quality is good and interiors are far more upmarket than the Punto.
by "upmarket" if you mean good plastics..then yes definitely Beat is better, but ergonomically and esthetically Beat's instrument cluster is an eye sore (Beat lovers please dont take any offence here), its like a motorbike's instrument cluster fitted in a car, where as Punto's looks like a car.

Last edited by Jaggu : 17th January 2010 at 21:17. Reason: Back to back posts, use Multi Quote (Quote +) instead. Thanks
Old 17th January 2010, 19:57   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajatsingh78 View Post
by "upmarket" if you mean good plastics..then yes definitely Beat is better, but ergonomically and esthetically Beat's instrument cluster is an eye sore (Beat lovers please dont take any offence here), its like a motorbike's instrument cluster fitted in a car, where as Punto's looks like a car.
to the cluster bit bit look at the active the interior and exterior are from different worlds. IMO you tend to miss the goodies once the car gets old.
Old 17th January 2010, 20:20   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Performance,equipment and FE = Beat LT

For everything else = Punto 1.2
Old 17th January 2010, 20:27   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajatsingh78 View Post
Thank you everyone for the inputs,
Regarding Beat's VFM, its only if you got for the fully loaded model, since my bro-in-law was planning LT.

The highway drive will be only occasional, plus I forgot to mention that this would be a second car, there is already a i10 in the family, like I said it will mostly be used for city driving on week-ends or in bad weather in week-days.
I think you should ask what he wants from his second car.
Is he looking for
1. One more car as good as his i10? => Beat
2. "Killer looks" or something better looking then i10? => Punto
3. Better ride and handling then i10? => Punto
4. A.S.S as good as i10 or comparable to i10? => Beat (3 years/all covered)
5. Better interrior fit and finish? => Beat
6. Better FE? => Beat
7. Build quality => Punto

I have mentioned few points above, some of which may be deciding poits for your BIL.

I would say its very easy to choose a car! the only thing one need to do is decide what he can live with and what he cannot afford to compromise on.
Old 17th January 2010, 20:50   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritayan View Post
to the cluster bit bit look at the active the interior and exterior are from different worlds. IMO you tend to miss the goodies once the car gets old.
Its a known fact, a new car...oh la la....excellent interior, excellent interior...then after sometime it grows on you...and you get used to it and then all that matters is practicality
Old 17th January 2010, 23:16   #14
Senior - BHPian

If it was me in such a situation, I would have definitely bought the Beat LT.
Old 18th January 2010, 00:18   #15
BANNED

Beat is smaller car in comparison to Punto .If you are looking at 2 people travelling in car and perhaps 1-2 km higher average then Beat it is .
But With Punto you get a segment higher vehicle top notch handling , road presence , the looks , best ride quality and an awesome driving dynamic package .The Punto 1.2 is giving 14-15 kmpl as you will find in few reviews on Team BHP .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks